• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Binabik15

Thanks.

Looks pretty amazing. I really missed out by not having time for the last two Sony conferences, huh. Now if only all the cool games weren't open world, I don't have time for ten of those each year :/

FATALITY

Banned
Or thinking of it, PlayStation Mobile in general was Sony publishing on another platform. Deals like having Helldivers or this game first is worth more than absolutely refusing to publish on another platform.

yep thats great. in my opinion this games are getting announced because sony is letting publisher putting their games on steam as well.

Rajang

As I understand it, and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

Company owns IP + internal dev = first party

Company owns IP + outside dev = second party

Company doesn't own IP + outside dev = third party

It's not about list wars, just technical descriptions.

Sony and Microsoft consider this a first party game.

12366300_1082167501816310_6240465599387148568_n.jpg

Producer of Bloodborne, working at SCE Japan

Toriyama-san remonisced about his work on Bloodborne, and mentioned that he’ll do it best to deliver another ambitious game in 2016, thanking readers for their future support of the team at Japan Studio.

via. Dualshockers

Could this be the Sony Japan JRPG?

DKHF

via. Dualshockers

I think Bloodborne 2 is in production (and he would be working on it) but I highly doubt that could come out next year, so I'm guessing he's referring to one of the already announced Japan Studio games (or it could be an unannounced game).

Hino (Level-5) also mentioned in that yearly 4Gamer JP developer poll that they would be announcing a new game from a "very popular series" next year and most of their biggest series already have new games announced, so I'm guessing that will be Dark Cloud 3 developed in collaboration with Japan Studio.

via. Dualshockers

Coming in 2016? That seems doubtful to me. Otherwise, why hasn't it been announced already? Though I kinda get it. Sony would need a conference specifically focused on PlayStation at the end of the year to have the timeslot to unveil it. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Please be Legend of Dragoon reboot

I think Bloodborne 2 is in production (and he would be working on it) but I highly doubt that could come out next year, so I'm guessing he's referring to one of the already announced Japan Studio games (or it could be an unannounced game).

Hino (Level-5) also mentioned in that yearly 4Gamer JP developer poll that they would be announcing a new game from a "very popular series" next year and most of their biggest series already have new games announced, so I'm guessing that will be Dark Cloud 3 developed in collaboration with Japan Studio.
Ni No Kuni 2 and Dark Cloud 3 announced all within a one year timeline? My sister is going to crazy, that was one of her favorite games on PS2.

Could this possibly be Level-5's JRPG #2 Verendus was talking about?

Moskalova

New spin-off of Yo-kai Watch more likely

Nope, not getting myself excited just yet
Join in the hype wagon breh
Would absolutely love this. Never got to finish the original because I wasn't powerful enough for the final section, and never got around to grinding to level up. I still have my original PSOne discs somewhere, but a Reboot would definitely get me back into it.
Great series. I really wished more jRPGs would have used the timing system and evolved on it because it had a lot of potential. Just go on youtube and watch the ending of the game if it's only 20-30 minutes.
5Twist said:
Could this possibly be Level-5's JRPG #2 Verendus was talking about?
What is #1? Didn't Verendus say both were PS exclusives, since I get the impression NNK2 is definitely going to be multiplatform if that's supposed to be #1.

Dark cloud 3?!! Its dark cloud 3!? Rogue galaxy isn't a popular series i dont think(hell it only has one) white knight chronicles...i dont have to say more. Its dark cloud 3!!!!

Watch it be yokai watch or layton!-_-

grumble

As I understand it, and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

Company owns IP + internal dev = first party

Company owns IP + outside dev = second party

Company doesn't own IP + outside dev = third party

It's not about list wars, just technical descriptions.

Second party is the consumer (ie you).

First party - the one that makes the product (ie console maker)

Second party - the other side of the transaction (ie the consumer)

Third party - others outside that relationship that contribute in some way (generally software developers for the console that are not owned by the first party)

Your definition of second party is actually first party game developed by a third party.

Elginer

Damn there sure is a lot of games I wanna get on PS4 is 2016. Really hope Horizon and Mass Effect Andromeda make it.

What is #1? Didn't Verendus say both were PS exclusives, since I get the impression NNK2 is definitely going to be multiplatform if that's supposed to be #1.

The status of NNK2 is weird because Adam Boyes and the Playstation Twitter called it a PS4 exclusive while on the stage side screens, they said console debut. Perhaps the "console debut" was a technical goof, who knows?

Assuming NNK2 stays PS4 exclusive, then it will be Level-5 JRPG #1, where this one is purely 3rd party. Level-5 JRPG #2 will be a collab with Japan Studio if we were to believe Verendus, which may possibly mean Dark Cloud 3 :D

2thepoint

Come to think of it, we could potentially see announcements in 2016 for a new Infamous, God of War, Bend's new horror IP, Bloodborne 2, Kojima's new IP, SCE Japan new title, new Playstation brawler and maybe even a new Killzone title.

Could be another spectacular year for announcements from SCE 1st party.

And thats not even including Warner Bro's, Activision, Sega, and Rockstar potential exclusives for PS4.

mejin

The status of NNK2 is weird because Adam Boyes and the Playstation Twitter called it a PS4 exclusive while on the stage side screens, they said console debut. Perhaps the "console debut" was a technical goof, who knows?

Assuming NNK2 stays PS4 exclusive, then it will be Level-5 JRPG #1, where this one is purely 3rd party. Level-5 JRPG #2 will be a collab with Japan Studio if we were to believe Verendus, which may possibly mean Dark Cloud 3 :D

Verendus is MIA? He could update us about all those projects.

Turkoop

Banned
Come to think of it, we could potentially see announcements in 2016 for a new Infamous, God of War, Bend's new horror IP, Bloodborne 2, Kojima's new IP, SCE Japan new title, new Playstation brawler and maybe even a new Killzone title.

Could be another spectacular year for announcements from SCE 1st party.

And thats not even including Warner Bro's, Activision, Sega, and Rockstar potential exclusives for PS4.

2016 ?
Dude, everything at E3 :D

2thepoint

I would stake a bet that there will be a sizable acquisition made by SCE in 2016.

Feels like the right time, and Scott Rohde recently said they are open to new studio acquisitions.

If it wasn't stated on stage, I suspect it won't be a PS4 exclusive. I can see either a PC or NX port, possibly both because of how it's worded. Weird that Sony didn't go all in on securing the IP itself since it was a reasonable jRPG success last generation. Not KH, DQ, or FF tier of jRPG, but it can be on the level below. I said Verendus stated that it would be an exclusive jRPG I believe.. could be wrong, but was quoted by someone who stated that it may have been an exlusive until NX specs came out since Nintendo also has a good relationship with L5.
Sucker punch are too talented a studio to be stuck with infamous.

Let them make a new ip, sony.
I doubt they are being forced to make another infamous. I would guess based on I:SS, they are going to get a choice on what they want to do, be it another sequel or new IP. I want another infamous though, the series needs to improve on several aspect as it has potential to be incredible. If SP is not working on it, I hope another quality studio takes over. Though personally, I'd prefer SP to give it one more shot with an explosive infamous game with more destructible objects including the ground, MP added, moral choices have some sense of complexity (see Witcher 3), Delsin is the main with Cole being in the story and not dead, among other things.

But most importantly,
let jRPG #2 be Legend of Dragoon reboot.

Elfstruck

Let them make a new ip, sony.

Thats not how it works at Sony. They let their devs the freedom to pitch in ideas about new game, Horizon for example. This is what set Sony apart from MS.

As for Sucker Punch, I bet we wont see their new game at E3. At PSX. Scott Rhode said that SP's game just passed the first phase and Bend's new game is way ahead, yet they still havent annouced it. So dont count on SP being at E3, probably PSX at the earliest.

If it wasn't stated on stage, I suspect it won't be a PS4 exclusive. I can see either a PC or NX port, possibly both because of how it's worded. Weird that Sony didn't go all in on securing the IP itself since it was a reasonable jRPG success last generation. Not KH, DQ, or FF tier of jRPG, but it can be on the level below. I said Verendus stated that it would be an exclusive jRPG I believe.. could be wrong, but was quoted by someone who stated that it may have been an exlusive until NX specs came out since Nintendo also has a good relationship with L5.

But it was stated on stage. Adam said the following: "Please enjoy the worldwide premiere of this exclusive PS4 title." That was why I thought the "console debut" part was a goof.

So it's Adam saying NNK2 is a PS4 exclusive vs. the stage side screens saying it's making a console debut. We also have to take Playstation's Twitter into account when it also addressed NNK2 as a PS4 exclusive after the press conference.

Of course, I could be wrong and Sony could have used "PS4 exclusive" in a broad sense.

do you think Sony will own the new IP of Kojima?

I mean if Kojima plans for an abitious title, he will need sonys money to fund it. And i can't imagine Sony spending 20-40 Million for an IP that they won't own in the end.

Soul Sacrifice is also a Sony IP that came on PC

MrHoot

I mean if Kojima plans for an abitious title, he will need sonys money to fund it. And i can't imagine Sony spending 20-40 Million for an IP that they won't own in the end.

What ? Soul Sacrifice never came on anything outside of Vita.

Theres no need in this situation honestly. Whatever game he makes he'll always choose PlayStation first. They should just partner up for marketing and go from there.

What ? Soul Sacrifice never came on anything outside of Vita.

Oh man....i mxed that up with toukiden.

Theres no need in this situation honestly. Whatever game he makes he'll always choose PlayStation first. They should just partner up for marketing and go from there.

its not like i would have a problem with it. I just can't imagine Sony funding his game and not own in the ip in some form.

Top Bottom