• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

I dunno about that trio. First off, we don't even know if Crash is a Sony first party title in the first place, since as far as we're aware, Activision still owns the IP. And second, I'm not sure Bend's game will be considered a major announcement like the three you just mentioned, as based on the studio's size and history, it feels like it'd be closer in scale to Rigs than Horizon.

If they're going for another three major announcements then I could see something along the lines of God of War 4, Bloodborne 2 and Level 5's JRPG. As much as I want From Software to take a break, they've been pumping out Souls-likes on a yearly basis for the last few years, so I could easily see Bloodborne 2 being announced this early. And for the JRPG, I figure if Sony are putting as many resources behind it as Verendus has teased then it seems like more of an E3 announcement than a TGS one.

Wasnt Level 5s JRPG Ni no Kuni 2?

I dunno about that trio. First off, we don't even know if Crash is a Sony first party title in the first place, since as far as we're aware, Activision still owns the IP. And second, I'm not sure Bend's game will be considered a major announcement like the three you just mentioned, as based on the studio's size and history, it feels like it'd be closer in scale to Rigs than Horizon.

If they're going for another three major announcements then I could see something along the lines of God of War 4, Bloodborne 2 and Level 5's JRPG. As much as I want From Software to take a break, they've been pumping out Souls-likes on a yearly basis for the last few years, so I could easily see Bloodborne 2 being announced this early. And for the JRPG, I figure if Sony are putting as many resources behind it as Verendus has teased then it seems like more of an E3 announcement than a TGS one.

Bend has around 90 employees now(up from 50) so they clearly have been on a hiring spree to produce this game. That's plenty big enough to make an AAA game and the teases certainly hint at it being a big budget production.

I hope it isn't the only one.

My opinion will not be popular but I love to see a new rpg in the vein of WKC.

Execution wasn't great, but damn if WKC wasn't a cool concept.

Bend has around 90 employees now. That's plenty big enough to make an AAA game and the teases certainly hint at being a big budget production.

Yeah, it's about the same size as Sucker Punch back when they first unveiled Second Son.

Well Sony had 3 notable first party reveals last e3 with The Last Guardian, Horizon and Dreams. I could see them matching last years with SSM, Bend and possibly a Crash reveal. As badly as I want to see Sucker Punches new game, there is no way I am getting my hopes up for that. At the rate Sony has been revealing games, I could see that being an e3 2017 reveal.

On a side note, what is all of the evidence of a crash return? I know about the Shawn laden shirt and the sign in the Playsation commercial, but has there been anything else? People seem to be dead set on it happening.

Crash isn't first party (although I'm sure Sony will treat it like one) and won't be developed by a first party studio. God of War 4 and Bend's game should be there considering how long they've been hinted at. Also agree that Sucker Punch's next game won't be at E3, but I think it'll be revealed at PSX and have a full blowout at E3 next year. Evolution could reveal a new game at E3. I know they downsized after Driveclub but the game was still decently successful. A new Motorstorm could do well considering there hasn't really been anything like it released this gen yet.

Crash isn't first party (although I'm sure Sony will treat it like one) and won't be developed by a first party studio.

Sony's not going to invest anything into Crash unless they own the IP. I believe it's the main reason they make sure to the own IP's now when they work with third party developers. Losing a franchise sold over 20m units in one generation is a tough blow to take and not one they're going to be willing to repeat.

klee123

Sony's not going to invest anything into Crash unless they own the IP. I believe it's the main reason they make sure to the own IP's now when they work with third party developers. Losing a franchise sold over 20m units in one generation is a tough blow to take and not one they're going to be willing to repeat.

Well they are funding Kojima's new game despite it not being fully exclusive......

Well they are funding Kojima's new game despite it not being fully exclusive......

We don't know if they own the IP for that yet. Kojima's also a special circumstance. He's a legendary developer who they're going to have to make concessions for if they wanted his next game exclusive. They on the other hand don't need Crash Bandicoot. They've gone through two full console generations without that franchise and have the most successful console this generation. So there's no reason for them to bend on that series. So I feel they'll either acquire the IP from Activision or things will stay as they are. And it may not be hard or particularly expensive to get the IP from them. Activision hasn't even made a Crash product in over five years. It's a dead IP this point.

SNURB

Well shit. Im convinced after seeing all this. Aside from the blatant teasing from Sony, it's the small leaks from other companies that are most intriguing to me. Where there's smoke...

About that NECA Toys thing though, that was supposedly a "misunderstanding" from the representative.

HOWEVER, GAF insider BruceLeeRoy has been teasing a Crash announcement happening at E3 for quite some time:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15ERv3FF_GYQY9TyLSu2b5PJu-vMcGCJSTR0MSyN8IgU/pub

Wasnt Level 5s JRPG Ni no Kuni 2?

They were meant to be developing one for Sony as well.

Bend has around 90 employees now(up from 50) so they clearly have been on a hiring spree to produce this game. That's plenty big enough to make an AAA game and the teases certainly hint at it being a big budget production.

Oh okay, they're a bit bigger than when I last looked. But remember, Ratchet & Clank and Rigs weren't considered major announcements, so I wouldn't automatically put Bend's game in there. I guess it just depends on how confident Sony are in it.

SFV as well. I would expect Crash to be a full exclusive though.

Sony only partially funded SFV and they've made it fairly clear that they don't fully fund other companies projects when answering questions on stuff like Shenmue 3. I guess there's a possibility Kojima's next game might be an exception to that rule but even then, I doubt it. Sony have already released one game on PC, so the lack of total exclusivity doesn't prove anything.

As for Crash, I think the most likely scenario is that Activision are developing a new one as a low budget title (think Transformers Devastation or Tony Hawk 5) and Sony partially funded it in exchange for exclusivity. As much as I'd like it if Sony bought the Crash IP back, I doubt Activision were willing to part even with a dead IP or that Sony would bother paying what was probably a ridiculous price for just some nostalgia.

We don't know if they own the IP for that yet. Kojima's also a special circumstance. He's a legendary developer who they're going to have to make concessions for if they wanted his next game exclusive. They on the other hand don't need Crash Bandicoot. They've gone through two full console generations without that franchise and have the most successful console this generation. So there's no reason for them to bend on that series. So I feel they'll either acquire the IP from Activision or things will stay as they are. And it may not be hard or particularly expensive to get the IP from them. Activision hasn't even made a Crash product in over five years. It's a dead IP this point.

you pay to make sure it comes to you rather than it not go anywhere else. see Pub Fund

Raylan

Banned
Oh okay, they're a bit bigger than when I last looked. But remember, Ratchet & Clank and Rigs weren't considered major announcements, so I wouldn't automatically put Bend's game in there. I guess it just depends on how confident Sony are in it.
Sony Bend has over 90 employees now and they are cooperating with either Sony San Diego or Santa Monica for their first AAA game in years. So their game is / will be big enough for a AAA production.
And I can't fucking wait. One of my favourite studios.

klee123

Despite Kojima's status, I'm not 100% sure if his name attached to anything other than MGS will be a sure-fire hit since Kojipro's other non MGS endeavors were largely failures and probably why Kojima couldn't escape making MGS after MGS when he was at Konami.

I guess it's a matter of waiting and see.

As for Crash, I think the most likely scenario is that Activision are developing a new one as a low budget title (think Transformers Devastation or Tony Hawk 5) and Sony partially funded it in exchange for exclusivity. As much as I'd like it if Sony bought the Crash IP back, I doubt Activision were willing to part even with a dead IP or that Sony would bother paying what was probably a ridiculous price for just some nostalgia.

Possible but I don't think Sony would have deliberately wound up the community hype meter so much just for that. I imagine there are at least some first party devs contributing to it and that it will be co-published or something.

Sony Bend has over 90 employees now and they are cooperating with either Sony San Diego or Santa Monica for their first AAA game in years. So their game is / will be big enough for a AAA production.

So ready for an E3 reveal. I really hope whatever they are making and God of War get really impressive gameplay reveals, similar to Horizon last year.

That's the way to reveal a game in my opinion.

AntMurda

Don't they work with Foster City Studio for the additional production work. That's the usual routine.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So ready for an E3 reveal. I really hope whatever they are making and God of War get really impressive gameplay reveals, similar to Horizon last year.

I have a feeling Sony will not show a teaser or anything similar now. They'll go with a gameplay demo, which is why we MIGHT get late reveals for the new SSM and Bend games.

The new bend game i'm sure will be shown at this e3. It's been 5 years since they released a game, i think it's about time to show the new one.

Horizon had an amazing reveal. I hope that pretty much becomes the blueprint for new Sony games from now on - a few minutes of in-engine cutscenes outlining the story, followed by another few minutes of gameplay showing an exciting sequence. It's a million times better than a CGI trailer two or three years before the game is going to release.

Horizon had an amazing reveal. I hope that pretty much becomes the blueprint for new Sony games from now on - a few minutes of in-engine cutscenes outlining the story, followed by another few minutes of gameplay showing an exciting sequence. It's a million times better than a CGI trailer two or three years before the game is going to release.
I was in theaters for Sony's and when they panned the camera back to show gameplay for horizon everyone lost it! Wasn't expecting that

Corpsepyre

Banned

Sony's tactics are getting different from the other companies now. If Horizon is anything to go by, they'll do the same with their other properties. I still think they revealed Uncharted 4 a little too soon.

Yep, this is exactly what I want. Of course, it will lead to some impatient internet posters claiming Sony is only focused on third party, Sony is incompetent and whatever nonsense they can come up with but it doesn't matter.

I'd much rather see solid gameplay when the game is closer to release than see a CGI trailer for a game that won't be out until another 2+ years at least.

I want a sequel to Until Dawn.

How soon can that happen?

Realistic scenario: 2018, IMO. They're working on Rush of Blood for PSVR, and if they shift their attention to a full sequel after that has launched, a 2018 release would give them in the region of 18-30 months to develop a full game.

Shin-Ra

Realistic scenario: 2018, IMO. They're working on Rush of Blood for PSVR, and if they shift their attention to a full sequel after that has launched, a 2018 release would give them in the region of 18-30 months to develop a full game.
Supermassive always seem to have at least three games in production at once.

FireSprite's active on twitter again, maybe in preparation for GDC / PSVR announcements.
https://twitter.com/FireSpriteGames

And London Studio appear to have a new logo!

LSlogo.jpg

? No-one said it wouldn't be AAA, the question is whether Sony considers it a major announcement like Horizon, TLG and Dreams or a smaller one like Ratchet & Clank and Rigs. I'm guessing it's closer to the latter, especially since it's meant to be a horror game, but we'll see what happens.

If it is AAA and they've been working on it for a while, I imagine Sony would treat Bend's title like a major announcement. Heck, Dreams from Media Molecule got announced alongside Horizon and what not. That leaves room for anything.

I'm expecting SSM and Bend to be the pair this year as GG and MM were the pair last E3. I have hope for a big Sony Japan JRPG being announced but alas.

Yoshida talked about (Or tweeted) how Sony’s first party studios weren’t designed to be the most successful titles in the industry buy show off the platform to other developers and be experimental. Although they are happy they have hugely successful titles like Uncharted or GT. Anyone have this line or know where Shuhei said it?

F4r0_Atak

Yoshida talked about (Or tweeted) how Sony’s first party studios weren’t designed to be the most successful titles in the industry buy show off the platform to other developers and be experimental. Although they are happy they have hugely successful titles like Uncharted or GT. Anyone have this line or know where Shuhei said it?

At first, I thought that IGN did that interview, but then I found out that GameReactor were the ones who did it, with Dualshockers only to report it textually.

GameReactor interview with Shuhei Yoshida at GameLab (Barcelona) said:
When you look at what we do, managing studios and managing funds, that’s essentially what we do: to look for talent and support talent, because at the end of the day it’s the people that create amazing things, and it’s the creative team that makes breakthroughs.

It’s a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That’s the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing.

There are lots of opportunities. There are so many projects that we want to do, and especially there are so many different techs, platforms and or devices that we can release games, but we have finite resources and budget, we have to make selection choices.

One of the things we always come back to when we’re looking at five potential projects is that we choose the team we believe in when we start working with a new team. That’s really really important.

what is the bug eyed black armoured character? there's a sculpted model and even zbrush 3D model too? from a game?

6BqojqR.jpg

Should be careful with presuming stuff, cause I know every day they have those little Zbrush contest internally. Every day people will give a theme or character and one of their artist will respond with a quick Zbrush sculpt they made on their lunch break. (1 to 2 hours worth of work)

Turkoop

Banned
sorry but there's no reason for me to shut down evo studios - okay they made some wrong decisions, game was really broken but they built a great community and supportet the game like hell!
I'm very dissapointed Sony, very.

F4r0_Atak

sorry but there's no reason for me to shut down evo studios - okay they made some wrong decisions, game was really broken but they built a great community and supported the game like hell!
I'm very dissapointed Sony, very.

Games are not just about community and support, it's about profitability on the long term, especially First-party titles.

Top Bottom