• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Shin-Ra

✱ [05-26, 2009] inFAMOUS

{ 24 ½ months } i to i2, PS3 to PS3, significant technology and art upgrades​

✱ [06-07, 2011] inFAMOUS 2
✱ [10-25, 2011] inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood

{ 33 ½ months } i2 to iSS, PS3 to PS4, huge technology and art upgrades
{ 29 months } iFoB to iSS, PS3 to PS4​

✱ [03-21, 2014] inFAMOUS Second Son
✱ [08-26, 2014] inFAMOUS First Light

{ 25+ months } iSS to ???, PS4 to PS4
{ 19 ½+ months } iFL to ???, PS4 to PS4​

Sucker Punch's on track to match or surpass the PS3 to PS4 generation shift dev time, within a generation so assuming development's progressed smoothly, the next game should be a hugely ambitious upgrade to the inFAMOUS formula or a new IP.

iFLsalmon.gif

Zukkoyaki

How I see things shaking out for announcements:

E3 2016 - Bend (New IP), Santa Monica (GOW4)
E3 2017 - Sucker Punch (New IP), Naughty Dog (TLOU2)

There will most assuredly be others along the way, but I expect the major reveals for their next two E3s to be those.

Carmelozi

Don't forget the re-re-re-reveal of The Last Guardian this year! Wait...

Anyway, what does Japan Studio developping at this moment? TLG, Deep Down (I hope) and secrets projects?

TM94

Can't see Sucker Punch's new project being revealed at anywhere other than PSX this year.

E3 seems too early, Gamescom / Paris as well.

I think E3 2017 is good for Sucker Punch. They should use all the time they can since there is no rush for first party titles.

Sony Bend, on the other hand, has to show up this year. :p

Anyway, what does Japan Studio developping at this moment? TLG, Deep Down (I hope) and secrets projects?
Collaboration projects:
Hot Shots Golf - main dev Clap Hanz
The Last Guardian - main dev gen Design
Deep Down - main dev Capcom Online

In-house projects:
Gravity Rush 2

I believe this is all we actually know about. (Note that continued work on Deep Down is just a rumor right now.) Given that Japan Studio is the biggest developer Sony owns, they pretty much have to be working on other unannounced things. Verendus' JRPG could be one. I'd personally bet they'll also be helping From with whatever the Bloodborne followup will be.

FelipeMGM

Sorry. :(

But, I really want to see new informations about Japan Studio's games in these next months.

I would love to know if Gavin Moore (Puppeteer) still has a team inside Japan Studio. Loved that game.

Also, I think Japan Studio did most of the work on Bloodborne DLC, so they might actually lead BB2 development. Not sure tho

I would love to know if Gavin Moore (Puppeteer) still has a team inside Japan Studio. Loved that game.

Also, I think Japan Studio did most of the work on Bloodborne DLC, so they might actually lead BB2 development. Not sure tho

Gavin said that he'd be working on smaller games after Puppeteer. So, I expect to see some experimental stuff once we see his next project.

Collaboration projects:

In-house projects:
Gravity Rush 2

I believe this is all we actually know about. (Note that continued work on Deep Down is just a rumor right now.) Given that Japan Studio is the biggest developer Sony owns, they pretty much have to be working on other unannounced things. Verendus' JRPG could be one. I'd personally bet they'll also be helping From with whatever the Bloodborne followup will be.

Main dev for TLG is Japan Studio. gen Design is more like the creative leadership of TLG, since Ueda founded that studio and Sony's hiring him (by extension his studio) to keep leading the project to completion.

FelipeMGM

Second Son released 2 years ago. I don't think it would be unreasonable to announce their new game at E3 this year and have it release next year.

The thing is that they might not need this game to show up at this E3.

Horizon again
TLG again
GT Sport full reveal
Gravity Rush 2
GoW IV
Sony Bend

Of course some stuff will be saved for TGS and PGW, but they have enough first party stuff, and some ''second party'' will sure show up as well.

Gavin said that he'd be working on smaller games after Puppeteer. So, I expect to see some experimental stuff once we see his next project.

Well, at least he still has a team I guess

Sony first-party tends to have 3 biggies at their E3 conferences.

2014 was Bloodborne, LBP3 and Uncharted 4's proper reveal.
2015 was Horizon, TLG's re-reveal and Dreams.

If 2016 is GoW4 and Bend, then I also expect something else on top of that.

FelipeMGM

Don't forget Crash Bandicoot.
I've never played a Crash game, but I know people will go crazy over it.

I could see Crash being the big PlayStation experience game too though.

Oh, Crash will happen. Dont know how, that is why I dont list as a first or even a second party deal yet since Sony doesnt own the IP (as far as we know at least

v1lla21

Hey guys, do yall remember the trailer for that one game that looked like the character from vanquish? I believe it was announced last year but I can't remember.

Hey guys, do yall remember the trailer for that one game that looked like the character from vanquish? I believe it was announced last year but I can't remember.

Matterfall?

Housemarque game. Probably announced way too early to fill the conference quota of "new announcements."

Javin98

Banned
The thing is that they might not need this game to show up at this E3.

Horizon again
TLG again
GT Sport full reveal
Gravity Rush 2
GoW IV
Sony Bend

Of course some stuff will be saved for TGS and PGW, but they have enough first party stuff, and some ''second party'' will sure show up as well.
This just made me realize how much Sony actually has to show this E3.

Carmelozi

Collaboration projects:

In-house projects:
Gravity Rush 2

Yeah, I know about the rumor of Deep Down. Still, I hope it's in development right now. Anyway, thanks for the recap.

Do you think we will see some major changes in the future? Because now Shawn Layden is the President of SIE Worldwide Studios.

Not in the short-term, I think.

I don't remember where I read it, but I remember Shawn was quoted saying that when he first took over as SCEA's president, he just worked to execute all the plans laid down by his predecessor for like a year before he started rocking any boats and put more of himself and his leadership into the the direction of SCEA. Something along those lines.

Furthermore, at his level, he's more of a visionary and portfolio manager. The fruits of his leadership will reflect itself upon stuff like the broad portfolio of genres, IPs, etc that he greenlits and is released in 2018-2020+, whether or not those products reflect any marked difference in terms of quantity, quality, investment, etc.

And some things need a long term view to even get a sense of it.

For say... random example, if from now till 2020 we don't see even a single arcade racer first-party product, I think it would be fair to assume that Shawn Layden is partially responsible for Evo's closure because as a portfolio manager, he deems the lack of a need to have an investment dedicated on arcade racing games and would rather instead put that money elsewhere, like say "more popular genre X."

DKHF

The only AAA first party studio games I think will be announced at E3 are God of War 4 and (slightly less likely though I think it will be) Bend's game. Sucker Punch at E3 2017 IMO.

Not in the short-term, I think.

I don't remember where I read it, but I remember Shawn was quoted saying that when he first took over as SCEA's president, he just worked to execute all the plans laid down by his predecessor for like a year before he started rocking any boats and put more of himself and his leadership into the the direction of SCEA. Something along those lines.

Furthermore, at his level, he's more of a visionary and portfolio manager. The fruits of his leadership will reflect itself upon stuff like the broad portfolio of genres, IPs, etc that he greenlits and is released in 2018-2020+, whether or not those products reflect any marked difference in terms of quantity, quality, investment, etc.

And some things need a long term view to even get a sense of it.

For say... random example, if from now till 2020 we don't see even a single arcade racer first-party product, I think it would be fair to assume that Shawn Layden is partially responsible for Evo's closure because as a portfolio manager, he deems the lack of a need to have an investment dedicated on arcade racing games and would rather instead put that money elsewhere, like say "more popular genre X."

That make sense, Let's see if Shawn will let make changes or not. I hope the rumored JRPG's are not cancelled.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not sure about you guys, but I'd love to see a linear third person action adventure game from Sucker Punch. I'm sure they can do a killer job. Plus, we don't have too many of those anymore, and it's sad.

GoW4, I HOPE, is a given at E3 2016. I don't want to wait till PSX 2016 or E3 2017 for that reveal even. Cory Barlog's Tweets don't give me much confidence in a reveal in 2 months, however. :(

FelipeMGM

This just made me realize how much Sony actually has to show this E3.

Not just at E3, Sony has a bunch of unreleased games that are expected to be released in 2016, its actually too many gaems lol. This is their expected 2016 lineup:

Amplitude (Jan 5, published by Harmonix but still a PS IP)
Hardware Rivals (Jan 5)
MLB 16: The Show (Mar 29 )
Ratchet & Clank (Apr 12)
Alienation (April 26)
Uncharted 4 (May 10)
Shadow Of The Beast (May 17)
Kill Strain
Drawn To Death
Wattam
Bound
Dreams (Beta at least)
GT Sport
Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Last Guardian
What Remains of Edith Finch
Everybody's Golf
Gravity Rush 2
The Tomorrow Children

And also these PS VR IP's are expected to be released in 2016 as well

RIGS
The Modern Zombie Taxi Co.
VR Worlds
Tumble VR
Rush Of Blood
Playroom VR

Im sure some will be delayed to 2017 though

Not sure about you guys, but I'd love to see a linear third person action adventure game from Sucker Punch. I'm sure they can do a killer job. Plus, we don't have too many of those anymore, and it's sad.

GoW4, I HOPE, is a given at E3 2016. I don't want to wait till PSX 2016 or E3 2017 for that reveal even. Cory Barlog's Tweets don't give me much confidence in a reveal in 2 months, however. :(

First Light actually made me want a "wide-linear" traversal focused action adventure game from them more than an open-world game, especially that last few story sequences.

mejin

Sony first-party tends to have 3 biggies at their E3 conferences.

2014 was Bloodborne, LBP3 and Uncharted 4's proper reveal.
2015 was Horizon, TLG's re-reveal and Dreams.

If 2016 is GoW4 and Bend, then I also expect something else on top of that.

The third one it's probably a new partnership game.

That doesnt mean they have to show it though.

True, but you'd have thought putting it off much longer would put it at risk of leaking. Also they're trying to hire, and it's difficult if your project and therefore studio is under the radar at the moment.

They've had the same positions to fill for months on end.

Top Bottom