• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

totally forgot about Sony Bend

E3 is pretty crammed for Sony.

Apart from the new game announcements (Sony Bend, Sony Santa Monica, Sony japan?)

They also have show some new updates for Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, GT Sports, Dreams and their other games

then ofc the third party games and the new PLaystation

Carmelozi

Norse Mythology! It will be f**cking badass! Anyway, E3 will be also good this year too I think.

So after Shinobi, we wait Verendus's turn.

Changing the entire mythology IS a fresh take on the series, whichever way one sees it. Shit didn't work out for them with their new IP. Shit happens. They should come back with full force and destroy us clean with what they're good at.

i meant a fresh take on the gameplay.

if it's the exact same formula and feel but in Norse mythology i will be less impressed than if they take some risks to push the gameplay forward.

GOW3 was great, IMO, but i felt like they didn't take too many risks with the gameplay, and instead focused on graphics and set pieces.

Hexa

Norse Mythology! It will be f**cking badass! Anyway, E3 will be also good this year too I think.

So after Shinobi, we wait Vrendus's turn.

WTF happened to Sony's FF killer JRPG that Verendus kept talking about?
PSX this year is as long as I'm going to give it before writing if off as dead/nonexistant.

i meant a fresh take on the gameplay.

if it's the exact same formula and feel but in Norse mythology i will be less impressed than if they take some risks to push the gameplay forward.

GOW3 was great, IMO, but i felt like they didn't take too many risks with the gameplay, and instead focused on graphics and set pieces.

I somewhat agree, but I feel that the changes to set pieces and such in GoW3 were enough to make the game feel fresh. I don't see how they could carry down the same path any further (how much bigger can the enemies even get) so I'm hoping for some other change ups to game play. Being "wide linear" like Uncharted 4 seems to be would be enough.

Carmelozi

PSX this year is as long as I'm going to give it before writing if off as dead/nonexistant.

Maybe Sony will reveal it at E3, or at ParisGamesWeek. PSX would be an option too. This year or next years. But "never" could be a possible answer.

So let's wait and see. We have a lot of RPGs to play these next months ahah.

BumRush

totally forgot about Sony Bend

E3 is pretty crammed for Sony.

Apart from the new game announcements (Sony Bend, Sony Santa Monica, Sony japan?)

They also have show some new updates for Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, GT Sports, Dreams and their other games

then ofc the third party games and the new PLaystation

...yup...except you forgot the thing that'll take up 25%-50% of their conference...PSVR

Corpsepyre

Banned
Uh, do any of you remember that they were teasing Norse mythology already with their Vikings ads back when Ascension came out? They also had Thor's Hammer as a weapon in MP.

Wiggy

Hope (and expect) Kratos to return, excited about Norse- but was hoping for Egyptian. Save that for God of War 6 on PS7 then I guess :D

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough, I just hope Bend is held to the same standard if/when their middling AAA title is released to The Order-level sales

I don't know why I'm so grumpy, I'm sorry
So you hope Bend gets closed if their game underperforms?

I always hated the proposed storyline that Kratos jumped through mythologies, killing various gods.

And I guess it's happening. Anyway, any interest I had in a game from SSM died when they cancelled their new IP.

I don't personally like hack and slash games.

Mar Nosso

Banned
I'd like level design to be a bit more open, but still predominantly linear.

Hear, hear!

Kind of like what Naughty Dog is doing with Uncharted 4. More open spaces, but still mainly linear with added exploration and freedom. Just not the useless and pointless vastness of open world games.

Hear, hear!

Kind of like what Naughty Dog is doing with Uncharted 4. More open spaces, but still mainly linear with added exploration and freedom. Just not the useless and pointless vastness of open world games.

Like Uncharted 4 is looking, I'd be interested if it became more about level puzzling. Like actual level puzzles. Less pallid and unexciting combat.

Melchiah

Hear, hear!

I couldn't agree more, especially with the bolded. I only hope, that you can go back to see what's in the alternate paths, without being lead to a cutscene and another location, when you cross an invisible threshold.

Hope (and expect) Kratos to return, excited about Norse- but was hoping for Egyptian. Save that for God of War 6 on PS7 then I guess :D

I could see them switching up mythologies every trilogy. Would be a good way to keep things fresh, and that's probably enough obvious content to take them up to God of War 9 at least (Norse then Egyptian).

He always said it was early with them still filling out the dev team back when he first mentioned it, so it's probably only now getting into a position where they'd be ready to tease it since big JRPGs take a long time to make.

Hexa

It was said to be a long ways away.

It was said to be a long ways away in 2013. Assuming Sony is planning on announcing it at least a year before release, I'd say unless we see it by the end of this year then we can assume there are issues.

vypek

It was said to be a long ways away in 2013. Assuming Sony is planning on announcing it at least a year before release, I'd say unless we see it by the end of this year then we can assume there are issues.

Was/is that game even rumored to be in full development yet? Its more than likely still a long ways away. I wouldn't be surprised if we still don't hear of it until next year. I have to admit that I am very curious about it though.

If it's still alive, I imagine we'd hear about it after Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian release. Japan Studio is large, but I imagine they do a lot of cross-support and can only handle two full productions at a time.

Shin-Ra

Couple of things stuck out to me in London Studio's latest 'Studio Life' video: SCE London Studio Life | March 2016 | GDC 2016

There's a Rare sighting of George Andreas, who became creative director of SCEE in January 2013.

And there's a 3D version of the new London Studio logo that should look much better in VR than a pre rendered image or video.

London3DLogo.gif

Another Rare throwback!

DKHF

This could be nothing, but IGN's guys are in Tokyo, and look who is with them :p
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/720585276637126656
And remember this
This might be about nothing new but on the latest Game Scoop Brian Altano mentions that they just had a meeting about The Last Guardian at IGN this past week, maybe there is a preview event or something coming soon?

He mentions it here
Makes no sense they were having a meeting about The Last Guardian unless it is going to be an IGN First. I'm guessing it will be the May or June IGN First and those three are there getting the coverage now.

And remember this

Makes no sense they were having a meeting about The Last Guardian unless it is going to be an IGN First. I'm guessing it will be the May or June IGN First and those three are there getting the coverage now.

Possible Japan Studio in general. So TLG, Hot Shots Golf, and Gravity Rush 2.

Blueingreen

So are we thinking they keep the linear design for GoW4? Think they'll go full open world for this one?

GOW 1 felt like one great big Zelda dungeon, I personally would have liked them to expand on that route and go for a more Zelda like structure with inter connecting levels/areas/dungeons but with GOW combat and theme and without all the padding, I believe David Jaffe would have had a similar idea for the franchise had he stayed on to direct.

Turkoop

Banned
I guess it's still too early for Sucker Punch's game.
E3 will feature enought exciting titles, maybe at Paris Games week or PSX

Top Bottom