• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Javin98

Banned
Sorry Javs, I didn't read ahead before replying.
It's cool, we all make mistakes when hyped, especially when it's a ND game. :p

Also, off topic, but I wish more people in real life referred to me as Javs. Sounds nice.

A bit late, but he's referring to the "starting over thing", said he still have no idea about release date in a later tweet. 17 doesn't seem likely.
:(

I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed to 2018, but I'm still hopeful it will stick to a 2017 release date.

Yes, let me keep my optimism. :p

dr_rus

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce/Neil are only overseeing the work on UC4's dlc and are spending the majority of their time building the foundation for their next full project, whether that be TLOU2 or a new ip. This would let Josh Scherr to become creative director with perhaps a design lead taking over Bruce's role. This would let them to get back to how things were before Amy/Justin left, with UC3 and TLOU being in development at the same time.

Adding to this, it looks like they've brought on an additional writer. Her name is Haley Gross and she recently worked on Westworld, co-writing the past 2 episodes with Jonathan Nolan. I'm not sure if she's there to help out Neil, or working on another project but it's definitely an interesting hire.

This still doesn't mean that they'll have two production teams. With Amy and Neil they've had two _pre_production teams and right now there's only one team left. So whatever Neil/Bruce were planning to do after shipping TLOU - was put in the freezer most likely and the whole team moved to UC4 to finish that project. So even if they'll let someone else do the UC4 DLC (will there even be one? the silence on this has been too long really) the A team still had about 0.5-1 year combined for the next project preproduction so it's unrealistic to expect it to release sooner than two years from now, even if they'll move to two preproduction teams structure again.

zsynqx

This still doesn't mean that they'll have two production teams. With Amy and Neil they've had two _pre_production teams and right now there's only one team left. So whatever Neil/Bruce were planning to do after shipping TLOU - was put in the freezer most likely and the whole team moved to UC4 to finish that project. So even if they'll let someone else do the UC4 DLC (will there even be one? the silence on this has been too long really) the A team still had about 0.5-1 year combined for the next project preproduction so it's unrealistic to expect it to release sooner than two years from now, even if they'll move to two preproduction teams structure again.

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. The impression I got was the whole team had to jump on UC4 to get it out on time, after it was essentially rebooted with Amy's departure. Now that it's shipped I believe they'll go back to the two pre-production team model with different leaders on each project.

I think the UC4 dlc will come out early next year, with TLOU 2 releasing summer 2018 (at the earliest).

FelipeMGM

yeah, that same model ND had with Amy/Justin and Bruce/Neil as two different creative teams just isnt there anymore as far as we know.

But I could see some up and coming guys inside ND like Kurt or Anthony moving from only game design to project lead having Josh as a writer.

HussiZooT

Since we got an ND game this year, I can wait a little longer for their next game.

But I haven't heard anything from Sucker Punch since 2014. They've been so silent since releasing First Light.

Would it at all be possible that Sony has hit a bargain with Marvel and now have access to a wider portfolio of licensed superheroes for video games and are dividing those projects between Insomniac and Sucker Punch?

I could only be dreaming anyway. But do we have any information on what SP are working on next? Anything at all?

When I get back I will for sure post some impressions of the games I play.

Will you be going to the NeoGAF meetup?

So Shinobi has been hinting at a Wipeout remaster. I wonder who's handling it. Seems too small of a project for Bluepoint. Maybe Firesprite as a test run before working on a their own new Wipeout?

Oh no. OH NO. Please have VR... and native 120fps via Pro!

Can I get dreams plz!! I'm do ready to make some wacky stuff

Right? I love MM. I'm releasing a video in near future that was hard to make simply because it's super personal, yet all about MM and Dreams. GIMME DAT BETA!

Since we got an ND game this year, I can wait a little longer for their next game.

But I haven't heard anything from Sucker Punch since 2014. They've been so silent since releasing First Light.

Would it at all be possible that Sony has hit a bargain with Marvel and now have access to a wider portfolio of licensed superheroes for video games and are dividing those projects between Insomniac and Sucker Punch?

I could only be dreaming anyway. But do we have any information on what SP are working on next? Anything at all?

Been radio silence from them apart from Shu trolling Greg and Colin at E3 2015.

Said he's played their prototype and is excited about what they are doing..

Personally I think it's a new IP. Doubt it's more Marvel property stuff, probably wanna see how Spidey PS4 turns out first.

As an aside to discussing Sucker Punch, I was playing Sly 4 the other day, and it's a real shame we didn't get another Sly game from Sanzaru. They did a really great job with the Sly Collection and Sly 4, and I would gladly see them become custodians of the franchise. Or heck, they proved themselves pretty competent already in Sly 4, so how about letting them loose on a new IP?

Also, I think the next game from Sucker Punch is going to blow everyone's tits off (at least technically). Infamous: Second Son is bloody incredible, and came out only 3-4 months after the console launched. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still working on Infamous, but I'd love it if they are making a new IP. That being said, if it is a new IP it's probably still a couple of years out.

HussiZooT

OléGunner;225176775 said:

Personally I think it's a new IP. Doubt it's more Marvel property stuff, probably wanna see how Spidey PS4 turns out first.

Yeah that makes sense to see how one property does before getting in on more. I really hope Sucker Punch is working on a new IP and not another inFAMOUS.

Also, properties reminds me, who owns the rights to the James Bond videogame license as of now? I think Activision's license has expired.

I wish Sony bag the James Bond license as well. First Party Sony James Bond game would be the shit!

Yeah that makes sense to see how one property does before getting in on more. I really hope Sucker Punch is working on a new IP and not another inFAMOUS.

Also, properties reminds me, who owns the rights to the James Bond videogame license as of now? I think Activision's license has expired.

I wish Sony bag the James Bond license as well. First Party Sony James Bond game would be the shit!

You would think Sony would pick up the James Bond license for brand synchronicity, but it has so much baggage now I'm not sure any publisher would be all that keen, or really know what direction to take it in.

Personally, I would probably do something like the new Hitman; a third person game where you have a selection of large maps and a specific objective - like, say, assassinate someone, successfully bug a location, find and diffuse some bombs, get into a costume masquerade ball in a huge mansion and identify a particular target, etc. Give the player free reign on using weapons, but they get penalised for shooting civilians. Also probably want to have some scripted sequences like an escape or a car chase, etc. No idea who I'd get to develop it though (and if I were Sony I would not put Naughty Dog on this), and I would probably veer away from doing an FPS, at least for the first couple of games.

FelipeMGM

OléGunner;225176775 said:

Yep, also I doubt they will throw their first party studios at working on other people's IP like that. You have in house devs to build and consolidate your own properties. Thats why they put Insomniac on the job, which is prob the ''second party'' studio that gets closest to a fp one in terms of quality and their level of trust, and I think its great because Im sure they can deliver.

As an aside to discussing Sucker Punch, I was playing Sly 4 the other day, and it's a real shame we didn't get another Sly game from Sanzaru. They did a really great job with the Sly Collection and Sly 4, and I would gladly see them become custodians of the franchise. Or heck, they proved themselves pretty competent already in Sly 4, so how about letting them loose on a new IP?

Also, I think the next game from Sucker Punch is going to blow everyone's tits off (at least technically). Infamous: Second Son is bloody incredible, and came out only 3-4 months after the console launched. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still working on Infamous, but I'd love it if they are making a new IP. That being said, if it is a new IP it's probably still a couple of years out.

Would love either Sly 5 or a new IP by Sanzaru. But they seem highly invested in VR now :(

It's not worth the effort. It looks great, has an amazing premise, looks technically stunning and previews/hands-ons have been very positive. But because the Killzone games have been just 'good' for the most part (which in Internet Hyperbole Land means they're all garbage), Guerrilla can't possibly improve even though they've clearly made efforts to address their weaknesses.

Yep.

Yeah, can't wait to see what SP is doing and I agree Sanzaru really should have been able to go straight into Sly 5 for PS4 or a new IP like that with Sony. Sly 4 was great.

had a discussion with a friend yesterday about Death Stranding.

Am i right when i say this is/will be a Sony owned IP?

I mean the Trailer starts with Sony Interactive Entertainment presents (which iirc only happens with first party exclusives) & also since this is a big AAA Project, Sony will probably fund most of it or if not all (also providing an inhouse Engine for Kojima)

I mean the Trailer starts with Sony Interactive Entertainment presents (which iirc only happens with first party exclusives) & also since this is a big AAA Project, Sony will probably fund most of it or if not all (also providing an inhouse Engine for Kojima)

Nope; Kojima Productions own the IP - Sony have just paid for exclusivity on the first game. I assume they are funding most (if not all) of it, and they will get their money back as one would assume they're going to market it like crazy and Kojima himself still carries a lot of hype in the industry.

FelipeMGM

Nope; Kojima Productions own the IP - Sony have just paid for exclusivity on the first game. I assume they are funding most (if not all) of it, and they will get their money back as one would assume they're going to market it like crazy and Kojima himself still carries a lot of hype in the industry.

Sony owns the trademark

http://www.trademarkia.com/death-stranding-87107685.html
https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/015532849

I think its fair to assume its their game

Whaaaa?! I'm sure I read at the time that it was Kojima's game, funded by Sony. It could be that they have registered the trademarks on KojiPro's behalf? Like how Dark Souls is owned by From but the Western trademarks are in Bamco's name.

I don't know what to believe. Might have to tweet Hideo.

Guymelef

Whaaaa?! I'm sure I read at the time that it was Kojima's game, funded by Sony. It could be that they have registered the trademarks on KojiPro's behalf? Like how Dark Souls is owned by From but the Western trademarks are in Bamco's name.

It's a Sony IP.

The God

Isn't that game coming to PC?

MacTag

Banned

Bandai Namco owns Dark Souls entirely btw.

Raylan

Banned

You don't have to tweet Kojima. Sony owns the IP. Kojima is developing a Sony IP.
Just like Quantic Dream (not a Sony-owned studio) is working on Sony IPs (Heavy Rain, Detroit, etc.)

We knew that Death Stranding was a Sony IP before Kojima even announced it.

Fair enough guys; I stand humbled and corrected. I'm very surprised that Kojima wasn't able to negotiate owning the IP of his first game after leaving Konami.

It's been almost 20 years since Sony last funded and published an IP they didn't own (Crash and Spyro), what made you think they'd pull a 180 now? It was always going to be Sony owned.

On a completely unrelated note, I really wish people would stop talking about Savage Starlight as if it's anything more than an in-universe fiction. People keep talking about it as if it's the next "TLOU tease" but that tease was subtle, not repeatedly thrown in your face.

FelipeMGM

It's been almost 20 years since Sony last funded and published an IP they didn't own (Crash and Spyro), what made you think they'd pull a 180 now? It was always going to be Sony owned.

On a completely unrelated note, I really wish people would stop talking about Savage Starlight as if it's anything more than an in-universe fiction. People keep talking about it as if it's the next "TLOU tease" but that tease was subtle, not repeatedly thrown in your face.

And that newspaper was only put into Uncharted 3 because they expected TLoU to be announced before the release of U3. Then they postponed the announcement to the Game Awards and forgot about the paper lol

I also dont think thr SS comics mean much but its fine to let people dream :p

yeah thats what i fold my friend :D - Sony wouldn't make such a big deal about this partnership with Kojima if it was about the exclusivity of one Game. (atleast i think so)

He needs a lot more manpower for his small studio to develop such an big project, the money, the engine, publishing - would Sony really make all this effort for an IP they even won't own
Also who fund his next Game or a sequel to death stranding? Who would pay for his studio?

However i think Kojima handled out some special terms so that he has some extra rights compared to other first/second party Studios (creative Control over the Franchise & and the PC Version)

But now that i think about it - Sony really has a lot of potential blockbuster Franchises in the pipeline (maybe as many as never before?)
Spiderman, Horizon, Days Gone, Death Stranding - I see a lot of potential for all of this franchises to become a big hit...i hope it turns out well and Sonys Effort and Risk they are taking in this gen is paying out
which means that by the end of this Gen they could have 6-8 Major Franchises to back up their line up

Dalibor68

Banned
I just got a PS4Pro for cheap to play Uncharted 4 + Until Dawn and sell it afterwards, but I'm not 100% sure if I should really sell it or keep it. So I got it for ~317€ and borrow the two games for free. Now the questions are:

a) Will there be regular 300€ Ps4pros by end of 2017?
b) Any realistic chance God of War & Detroit will make it out in 2017?

Because there aren't really any other exclusives announced yet that would make it worth keeping for me(don't trust Horizon and Spiderman yet) and RDR2 will come for PC eventually (r-right?).

Zedark

I just got a PS4Pro for cheap to play Uncharted 4 + Until Dawn and sell it afterwards, but I'm not 100% sure if I should really sell it or keep it. So I got it for ~317€ and borrow the two games for free. Now the questions are:

Because there aren't really any other exclusives announced yet that would make it worth keeping for me(don't trust Horizon and Spiderman yet) and RDR2 will come for PC eventually (r-right?).

I doubt rec. Retail price will be 300 by then, but a retailer deal should get you one for that price in a year.

God of war might, it was started at the end of 2014 most likely (after thr cancellation of their new ip) so would be 3 years in the making by then. Detroit should be able to make that time slot. It'll be 4 years for them by that time.

FelipeMGM

Sooo back to the Death Stranding debacle, a friend said somethng about actually beeing exclusive to Sony platforms for ''only'' 18 months, and that the news would get out later today

We''ll see if pans out soon I guess

Sooo back to the Death Stranding debacle, a friend said somethng about actually beeing exclusive to Sony platforms for ''only'' 18 months, and that the news would get out later today

But dude if it's using one of sony's studios engine how are they going to port it to other platforms?

FelipeMGM

But dude if it's using one of sony's studios engine how are they going to port it to other platforms?

Im not agreeing with him, but we'll see.

Hobby consolas posted the news
http://www.hobbyconsolas.com/notici...exclusiva-temporal-ps4-durante-18-meses-74884

We know it's coming out on PC.

The story mentions other platforms too. And it says the game could come to PC before the 18 month window

Again, I dont really think it makes much sense but we will find out soon enough

we know it's coming to PC later. 18 months is just shy of 2 years though, that probably doesn't really make sense to port to xbox at that time, and doesn't Sony own the IP?

FelipeMGM

we know it's coming to PC later. 18 months is just shy of 2 years though, that probably doesn't really make sense to port to xbox at that time, and doesn't Sony own the IP?

The story mentions other platforms too. And it says the game could come to PC before the 18 month window

Its clearly a rumor for now, but if pans out that would be a very unique case

yeah thats what i fold my friend :D - Sony wouldn't make such a big deal about this partnership with Kojima if it was about the exclusivity of one Game. (atleast i think so)

He needs a lot more manpower for his small studio to develop such an big project, the money, the engine, publishing - would Sony really make all this effort for an IP they even won't own
Also who fund his next Game or a sequel to death stranding? Who would pay for his studio?

However i think Kojima handled out some special terms so that he has some extra rights compared to other first/second party Studios (creative Control over the Franchise & and the PC Version)

I think when it was announced I just assumed Kojima would be able to negotiate ownership of his next game, as he's probably in the top three most famous and reliable creators in the industry and even though Sony has a rule not to fund games they don't own, they would make an exception for a guy like Kojima. Add to that the PC version which Sony has never done for a major first party release, as I assumed they were moneyhatting his next game as opposed to hiring him to develop something they'd own.

But now that i think about it - Sony really has a lot of potential blockbuster Franchises in the pipeline (maybe as many as never before?)
Spiderman, Horizon, Days Gone, Death Stranding - I see a lot of potential for all of this franchises to become a big hit...i hope it turns out well and Sonys Effort and Risk they are taking in this gen is paying out
which means that by the end of this Gen they could have 6-8 Major Franchises to back up their line up

I think Spider-Man, Death Stranding and Horizon are all going to be big hits. They've taken a while to come around this gen compared to Sony's output on the PS3, but I can certainly see Death Stranding being a 2019 cross-gen game on the PS5 as well (along with The Last of Us 2).

I know you're banned, but to answer your questions: I think God of War has pretty much a zero chance of coming out next year, and I think Detroit will probably land around next September or October.

Felipe - when are we supposed to hear this news by? This is a leak, right, as opposed to an announcement from Kojima Productions? On the other hand, if the IP belongs to Sony then we know there is literally zero chance of it coming to the Xbone or Switch.

Yeah just to chime in on Sony's WWS, while not at PS3 levels of releases, they certainly have some potential, and I would rather them bake in the oven than release prematurely. Some ideas...

Sony needs to look at the Forza team for inspiration, they just do a lot of stuff right. Driveclub's engine can become Gran Turismo Street, and be the casual release of GT while Kaz spends his time making GT a great sim. The formula developed with the DC engine though shouldn't be left alone. GTS needs to be great, just don't release it until it is period, so glad it was delayed. You can't release anything resembling a bare-bones experience this generation.

Until Dawn, what in the world is Sony doing here letting the team go? This game IMO easily beat a lot of the Tale Tale series stuff, and could have started a nice franchise for Sony. They own the IP, but this style of gaming needs to keep going, and Sony has a perfect engine for it. They can tell all types of stories with this engine and formula Until Dawn established, it's really brilliant. Gives you the freedom of a game with exploration and puzzle bits, but no where near as limited as tale tale games.

The Order, unless R&D turn this into Gears, let it die, there's no need for a linear story driven game anymore unless its episodic content.

Uncharted - let it die...no reason to carry on with another team, everything great about Uncharted can pretty much be done in other games by ND. Unless some studio has a brilliant IP that can only work in that universe, ND should move on at least, with this generation.

Upcoming IP

I think God of War and Spiderman have the most potential. They are super recognizable, popular characters, and the initial reception is of course super high and positive. Get these right, I think people are on board with the TLOU inspired buddy system in GOW as it makes sense and narratively is fitting for a different type of Kratos. Spider-man is just an adorable Marvel hero, and the passion of the guys at Insomniac came though in the interviews. The only thing in the way of both of these titles is time, bake em Sony, if something happens that causes a delay, just delay it.

Horizon has to nail the story, but other than that..Sony has got one here. I can see it being as successful as the Witcher series. Got it preordered and is probably my most anticipated game outside of TLG

Sucker Punch, I actually wanted another Infamous from them that was bigger, better, with much more enemies and powers, but whatever they end up doing, if its third person, I think it'll be good.

Detroit seems to be the true successor to Heavy Rain. Might not like the charts on fire, but should be another achievement for the team.

When do we expect Days Gone? Fall 2017?
I don't think so...

It was no date announced just like God of War & Spiderman. With Sony's track record here, I'd say its best to expect it far away from now.

God of War
FF7R
Death Stranding

Days Gone
Spider-man
Detroit

Horizon
GTS
GR2

Top Bottom