• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

some of you probably alread know it but Uncharted Lost Legacy is not directed by Druckmann and Straley
Kurt Margeneau and Shaun Escayg are the directors, while Druckman is busy with TLOU 2 and Straley taking some time off
Straley beeing the director of the next game alongside Margeneau und Esayg is probably the most likely scenario

or maybe 3 Teams? Druckman - Straley - Margeneau?

some of you probably alread know it but Uncharted Lost Legacy is not directed by Druckmann and Straley
Kurt Margeneau and Shaun Escayg are the directors, while Druckman is busy with TLOU 2 and Straley taking some time off
Straley beeing the director of the next game alongside Margeneau und Esayg is probably the most likely scenario

I'd be ok with this 100%

Javin98

Banned

As long as they keep the quality of their games up, I would be more than satisfied with this. Hell, think about it. Uncharted:TLL in 2017, TLOU2 in 2018, Bruce's game in 2020 and a PS5 game in 2021. I would love such frequent ND releases, haha. But again, if and only if, they retain their quality

I'd love for TLoU2 to be 2018 so that I can see ND go back to their two-year release cycle structure which was insanely efficient.

Besides, it'd fit with ND's current scenario of basically being with an affiliated game, either external dev or their own every year since 2013 :

2013: TLoU
2014: TLoU: Left Behind & TLoU: Remastered
2015: Uncharted Collection
2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
2017: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2018: TLoU Part II

And then we can get that Bruce Straley new IP announcement in 2018... :p

sense

i really feel like spider-man is going to be next year. it will be a huge missed opportunity to not release it in the same year as the movie release which is going to be huge now that marvel is involved. Movie release in July and bluray/game release in the holidays would be huge and i am sure that is the plan. I know they said it is not being tied to the movie release and they are focusing on quality but my gut feeling is that the target release is fall 2017 for maximum effect on sales.

I'd love for TLoU2 to be 2018 so that I can see ND go back to their two-year release cycle structure which was insanely efficient.

Besides, it'd fit with ND's current scenario of basically being with an affiliated game, either external dev or their own every year since 2013 :

2013: TLoU
2014: TLoU: Left Behind & TLoU: Remastered
2015: Uncharted Collection
2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
2017: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2018: TLoU Part II

And then we can get that Bruce Straley new IP announcement in 2018... :p

Think your being a little tiny bit optimistic about The Last of Us releasing 2018.

FelipeMGM

I would not be surprised if Kurt's team kept making Uncharted games, mainly written by Josh Scherr. Maybe make Chloe the face of the IP for multiple games.

Also would no be surprised if Bruce came back on a different position, something even higher in the ranks of Naughty Dog. He sure deserves after shipping all these amazing projects

Zedark

I think TLOU definitely has a chance of launching in 2018 (late, probably). Since Druckmann is not directief the DLC, he will have been working on TLOU full time since mid 2016. Since he already has done prototyping before going to UC4, I think he has started full production already. The question that remains is if it can be done faster than Uncharted 4. I would say yes it can, since we know UC4 had 8 months of work scrapped, along with a change in development lead, so if all goes well TLOU should go a lot faster than UC4.

Think your being a little tiny bit optimistic about The Last of Us releasing 2018.

Probably. But if we believe that large parts of U4 were scrapped/ND had to start over with U4, that meant ND made Uncharted 4 from "scratch" in 2.5 years.

May 2016 till Fall 2018 is 2.5 years. It's a "possible" window. ND's definition of early is weird at times since they can crank games out quickly.

The God

i really feel like spider-man is going to be next year. it will be a huge missed opportunity to not release it in the same year as the movie release which is going to be huge now that marvel is involved. Movie release in July and bluray/game release in the holidays would be huge and i am sure that is the plan. I know they said it is not being tied to the movie release and they are focusing on quality but my gut feeling is that the target release is fall 2017 for maximum effect on sales.

it would be a missed opportunity to not give the game the time it needs so it could meet a movie deadline (which Marvel said they wouldn't do)

sense

it would be a missed opportunity to not give the game the time it needs so it could meet a movie deadline (which Marvel said they wouldn't do)
Not saying it needs to be rushed out or half baked to meet a movie deadline but they could still be targeting to release around the movie release and if needed push it. The game was in development since end of 2014 so it is not crazy to think it could be out by fall 2017 especially if it is sp only

Not saying it needs to be rushed out or half baked to meet a movie deadline but they could still be targeting to release around the movie release and if needed push it. The game was in development since end of 2014 so it is not crazy to think it could be out by fall 2017 especially if it is sp only
Mm, but has it been in full development since 2014? Sometimes it could just be in that pre-production phase where it seems to be more about preparatory work and what not. Like Horizon's development.

The God

Why do people think Spider-Man is so far off?

It doesn't even have a name yet

release in fall 2017 is unlikely just going off Sony's patterns this gen, doubly this time due to the games they have to market next year (Destiny, Red Dead, Star Wars, CoD and possibly Assassin's Creed)

with that, a release before fall 2017 is unlikely too because we would've seen/heard more at this point.

Unless Sony and Marvel are pulling a Fallout 4, this is a 2018 game

Zukkoyaki

I would not be surprised if Kurt's team kept making Uncharted games, mainly written by Josh Scherr. Maybe make Chloe the face of the IP for multiple games.

Also would no be surprised if Bruce came back on a different position, something even higher in the ranks of Naughty Dog. He sure deserves after shipping all these amazing projects
I think it's already been confirmed that Bruce will be helming a new project once he gets back, one would have to imagine a new IP for PS5.

New directors for Uncharted 4's DLC is a fascinating development. They're grooming the next generation of leaders at Naughty Dog that I expect will have a major coming out party next generation like Neil and Bruce had with TLOU.

zsynqx

Maybe a position where he oversees design on every project in the studio.

FelipeMGM

Maybe a position where he oversees design on every project in the studio.

Thats exactly what Im thinking.

He proved to be one of the best in the biz multiple times, sure would be great for ND to have him to oversee and advise all of the projects on the studio so they can assure and keep the top quality ND is known for.

Pachimari

I'll be receiving Ratchet & Clank next week finally. I think the only Sony games I don't yet own physically are Infamous: Second Son, Infamous: First Light, LittleBigPlanet 3, Singstar and The Last Guardian.

I do wonder what Sucker Punch is working on, but I am in no hurry for announce their next project. Although the likelihood for an E3 2017 reveal is probably very high.

I really do want an Until Dawn sequel. Why is Sony not doing it...?

I still think it's coming next year, but reading that post further up, it does make sense waiting on releasing it until Spring 2018 which I would be okay with too.

Javin98

Banned
It was revealed at E3 with a real time trailer showing off what seems to be concepts of the gameplay, not actual gameplay. Couple that with the deal between Sony and Marvel being made in February 2015, I think the earliest the game could have gone into production is Q2 2015. And since it's an open world game, that would naturally lengthen development time, so I wouldn't expect it until Summer 2018 at the earliest.

TLOU Part II is clearly much earlier in development than Spidey that is already around 2 years in development yet the former has a name while the latter doesn't.

These things aren't laterally related. Some games just need more thinking of what's the best name to go with because branding is tough.

Why wouldn't you, is a far more pertinent question IMO.

Resume by creative director on LinkedIn suggest it's been in development for 2+ years now, shortly after SSO shipped.

Open world games can take a long time to make, but 3+ years is also not a far fetched release window.

Dabi

Really hope they bring back Resistance. Literally the only thing missing from their diverse lineup. Not to mention GG looks busy with Horizon so I don't think we'll be seeing Killzone anytime soon.

Pachimari

Really hope they bring back Resistance. Literally the only thing missing from their diverse lineup. Not to mention GG looks busy with Horizon so I don't think we'll be seeing Killzone anytime soon.
Cambridge might be working on Killzone though.

I just received Ratchet and Clank. I can't wait to get it started after my play through of FFXV.

DieH@rd

Banned

Sucker Punch is curiously silent. Maybe too silent. Maybe they will try to tackle the FPS genre that Sony never managed to properly take advantage off [Killzone/Resistance].

RPGamer92

Banned
Sucker Punch is curiously silent. Maybe too silent. Maybe they will try to tackle the FPS genre that Sony never managed to properly take advantage off [Killzone/Resistance].
I would love for Sucker Punch's game to be a cross between Cyberpunk and Superhero genres.

Print_Dog

I too am curious as to what Sucker Punch is up to. I'm ok with a new IP. I doubt its FPS, but I can see a third person shooter. inFamous pretty much is.

Yeah, both of these things would be pretty cool developments whether for more different Uncharted like with Chloe or something new. The two of them in their game design and writing roles have seemingly done a great job on their parts in ND's recent games.

Thats exactly what Im thinking.

He proved to be one of the best in the biz multiple times, sure would be great for ND to have him to oversee and advise all of the projects on the studio so they can assure and keep the top quality ND is known for.

Yeah.

I think it's already been confirmed that Bruce will be helming a new project once he gets back, one would have to imagine a new IP for PS5.

New directors for Uncharted 4's DLC is a fascinating development. They're grooming the next generation of leaders at Naughty Dog that I expect will have a major coming out party next generation like Neil and Bruce had with TLOU.

Oh nice.

Yeah, it's great those two are getting a chance to direct and the DLC is looking quite promising from that trailer they showed.

Dabi

Yeah, both of these things would be pretty cool developments whether for more different Uncharted like with Chloe or something new. The two of them in their game design and writing roles have seemingly done a great job on their parts in ND's recent games.

Yeah.

Oh nice.

Yeah, it's great those two are getting a chance to direct and the DLC is looking quite promising from that trailer they showed.

Maybe we'll see Naughty Dog split into three teams if the DLC does well. Bruce, Druckmann and Kurt.

As far as both Killzone and Resistance go, I think that if they want a FPS then they need to start over. Just come up with a completely new concept instead of continuing to push for those. If they take inspiration from any current shooter, then it should be Overwatch. That doesn't necessarily mean they should make some multiplayer-only shooter. But look into making characters that are instantly recognizable and well liked. In the case of Guerrilla, look at how quickly people have taken a liking to Aloy. Not just her but her design. It's something that neither KZ or Resistance ever really had. Also take note that you don't need to have a dark and gritty world in order for it to sell.

So, approach it where anything is possible. Whether it be a more colorful world or a darker one. FPS games are one genre they've struggled with as far as making one that really grabs people. They've got a lot of improving to do in that area.

NYmanutd

As far as both Killzone and Resistance go, I think that if they want a FPS then they need to start over. Just come up with a completely new concept instead of continuing to push for those. If they take inspiration from any current shooter, then it should be Overwatch. That doesn't necessarily mean they should make some multiplayer-only shooter. But look into making characters that are instantly recognizable and well liked. In the case of Guerrilla, look at how quickly people have taken a liking to Aloy. Not just her but her design. It's something that neither KZ or Resistance ever really had. Also take note that you don't need to have a dark and gritty world in order for it to sell.

So, approach it where anything is possible. Whether it be a more colorful world or a darker one. FPS games are one genre they've struggled with as far as making one that really grabs people. They've got a lot of improving to do in that area.
Nathan Hale.

Sucker Punch have been working on open world games basically since Sly 2, so I'm sure whatever they do next will be in a similar vein.

Maybe we'll see Naughty Dog split into three teams if the DLC does well. Bruce, Druckmann and Kurt.

Those three don't do the same job. Druckmann is a creative director, Straley and Margenau are game directors.

I doubt they'll split into three teams, it doesn't really make sense based on their current size and structure. If I were to make a guess, I'd say Margenau will be moved over to TLOU2 once Lost Legacy is done and then Straley will team up with Escayg on a new IP once he comes back. But we'll see what happens.

ty_hot

So many great titles coming! The good thing fo Vita's death is that now Sony has all it's studios working on the PS4... at the same time Microsoft is now working on 'play anywhere' so most (all?) 1st party studios work on the XOne and also have to port/develop for the PC (it might not take much time, but it takes some).

Kasper

So many great titles coming! The good thing fo Vita's death is that now Sony has all it's studios working on the PS4... at the same time Microsoft is now working on 'play anywhere' so most (all?) 1st party studios work on the XOne and also have to port/develop for the PC (it might not take much time, but it takes some).

Sony stopped developing first party titles for Vita a long time ago. Aside from MLB The Show 2015 there hasn't been a first party developed Vita title since 2014.

ty_hot

Sony stopped developing first party titles for Vita a long time ago. Aside from MLB The Show 2015 there hasn't been a first party developed Vita title since 2014.

I know, but I am speaking in general, not specifics. Sony had lots of first party because they are in the market since the PS1, and had to expand to suppor the PSP and the Vita, now that they don't exist those teams are all on the PS4.

I expect this titles to launch in 2017
Knack2, Detroit, Dreams, Spiderman, Days Gone

God of war, The Last of Us are in my eyes 2018 titles.
Detroit in 2017 is highly unlikely sorry. It's early/mid 2018 probably. Full production had barely started when they showed the last E3 demo. First full scene they built.

Top Bottom