• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Tonky

Man, when are we going to see Sucker Punch's new game. I mean, we've seen a trailer for TLoU: part 2, and that's like at least 2-3 years away.
E3 2017, no doubt about it. It'll have been 3+ years since I:SS released by then. Also, I have a feeling that it's a new IP. If it's just another Infamous, why hasn't it been announced yet and why is it taking so long to develop?

E3 2017, no doubt about it. It'll have been 3+ years since I:SS released by then. Also, I have a feeling that it's a new IP. If it's just another Infamous, why hasn't it been announced yet and why is it taking so long to develop?
Yep, exactly. I could have sworn Shinobi said it wasn't Infamous on a podcast too.

Tonky

Yep, exactly. I could have sworn Shinobi said it wasn't Infamous on a podcast too.
Really? Awesome. I have a lot of faith in SP, their games are technically impressive and really fun. I was hoping they were the developer for the Spider-Man game, but I'm happy with Insomniac too. Nonetheless, I'm excited to see what they're working on. Will it be something akin to Infamous? Something more "grounded" in reality? More cartoonish like Sly? Hoping for something in-between Sly and Infamous.

Spider-Man is first party.

The closest thing to another SFV is probably their timed exclusive third party deals, like FFVIIR. Most of their exclusive third party games are more for market reasons (games that don't sell on Xbox) than moneyhats though.

Spiderman is not first party.

Insomniac is not owned by Sony.

FelipeMGM

Yoshida said that they will be more careful in the future, regarding announcing games too early

Seeing how packed Sonys Line Up is, im not even sure if the next Sucker Punch is set for 2018.
Maybe we will have to wait even longer for its announcement

Nah, he said they will be more careful with announcing release dates, to not have this multiple delays situations like they had. They clearly DGAF about announcing stuff early

One doesnt exclude the other tho. Ratchet & Clank is developed by Insomniac and still is a first party IP.

That's not how first vs third party works. Based on your logic, Goldeneye wasn't a first party Nintendo game, Crash Bandicoot wasn't a first party Sony game, Gears of War wasn't a first party Microsoft game and so on.

Sony is funding, overseeing and publishing Spider-Man. It's under Shu's management at WWS. It's first party, end of discussion.

Oh and it's Spider-Man, not Spiderman.

I was hoping to see Spider-Man either at PSX or VGA. I'm pretty convinced now that it's not coming until 2018, and the same goes for God of War and Days Gone. We will likely see Sucker Punch's new IP and Bloodborne 2 at E3 with 2018/2019 release schedules respectively as well.

2017: Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Gran Turismo Sport, Detroit, Knack 2
2018: Spider-Man, God of War, Days Gone, Bloodborne 2, Dreams
2019: Sucker Punch's New IP, The Last of Us 2, maybe Ratchet sequel, maybe Until Dawn 2

That's what I'm guessing.

Best wishes.

NMFried

I was hoping to see Spider-Man either at PSX or VGA. I'm pretty convinced now that it's not coming until 2018, and the same goes for God of War and Days Gone. We will likely see Sucker Punch's new IP and Bloodborne 2 at E3 with 2018/2019 release schedules respectively as well.

2019: Sucker Punch's New IP, The Last of Us 2, maybe Ratchet sequel, maybe Until Dawn 2

Best wishes.

Please let there be a Ratchet sequel. Even just a retooling of the second game now.

That's not how first vs third party works. Based on your logic, Goldeneye wasn't a first party Nintendo game, Crash Bandicoot wasn't a first party Sony game, Gears of War wasn't a first party Microsoft game and so on.

Sony is funding, overseeing and publishing Spider-Man. It's under Shu's management at WWS. It's first party, end of discussion.

Oh and it's Spider-Man, not Spiderman.
So basically it's second party

Best wishes.

You think Sucker Punch is going to take 5 years between games? I have no idea what they are working on, but that seems a bit unreasonable.

zsynqx

If they're almost done with mocap I expect it to be ready by holiday 2017.

For comparison, TLOU finished shooting in November and released in June (7 months later). If they're already almost done with mo-cap then the assumption is that the game will release in 2017.

Could be their big holiday game this year, been a while since Sony had one of those. :p

Edit: I was wrong, it was actually December when mo-cap wrapped on TLOU. So 6 months between that and when the game shipped

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/282304148408508416

Gamingbolt done goofed. Shinobi was talking about Ready at Dawn's new AAA IP.

For comparison, TLOU finished shooting in November and released in June (7 months later). If they're already almost done with mo-cap then the assumption is that the game will release in 2017.

Could be their big holiday game this year, been a while since Sony had one of those. :p
It would be nice lol.

PSX was great for first party games.
Sony should expand all of their studios. Expand in a sense having more employees in their studios that every studio can handle two games at the same time.

God of War isn't getting released holiday 2017 with all the marketing deals Sony has

With Scorpio coming they probably want then marketing deals for a holiday for a change. Not the year to fuck about and take things for granted.

But yeah. I bet gow is next March,

With Scorpio coming they probably want then marketing deals for a holiday for a change. Not the year to fuck about and take things for granted.

But yeah. I bet gow is next March,

Who are you talking about Sony or Microsoft wanting the deals for a change? Because Sony has Destiny, COD, Red Dead Redemption 2 and most likely Star Wars Battlefront(only because of Disney won't let EA give it to Microsoft).

zsynqx

Javin98

Banned
Well, since we're going to start listing possible release dates, here's mine.

September 2017: God Of War
October 2017: Detroit: Become Human
December 2017: GT Sport
February 2018: Days Gone
September 2018: The Last Of Us Part 2
October 2018: Spider-Man PS4

I will admit some of these are my wishful thinking, haha. Although, I'm not sure why so many expect Spider-Man so soon, we haven't even seen a gameplay trailer yet.

What about summer time though? It's always somewhat barren that time of year
Eh, Summer seems too early for God Of War. Well, technically, I suppose early to late September is still Summer. :p

Who are you talking about Sony or Microsoft wanting the deals for a change? Because Sony has Destiny, COD, Red Dead Redemption 2 and most likely Star Wars Battlefront(only because of Disney won't let EA give it to Microsoft).
Daaaaaamn can we take a second to appreciate this juggernaut of a marketing holiday Sony potentially has. Sheesh the custom ps4 bundles..I feel it

Zukkoyaki

I was just thinking how The Last Guardian really kicks off a nice stretch of first party games and high-profile third party exclusives.

*=first party

December: The Last Guardian*
January: Gravity Rush 2*, Tales of Berseria
February: Horizon Zero Dawn*, Nioh
March: MLB 17*, Nier: Automata
April: Persona 5

What a monstrous start to 2017 from Sony. I wonder what's going to make the back half of the year. Detroit, GT, Dreams and Days Gone seem to be the most likely suspects.

And to chime in on Sucker Punch, I think they're about as much of a sure thing for E3 as Bend and Santa Monica were this year. I'd expect it and Bloodborne 2 to get announced there.

Have we seen a custom pro faceplate yet? Wonder how they gonna look like
Hmmm idk wouldn't it look the same? Don't own one

I was just thinking how The Last Guardian really kicks off a nice stretch of first party games and high-profile third party exclusives.

*=first party

December: The Last Guardian*
January: Gravity Rush 2*, Tales of Berseria
February: Horizon Zero Dawn*, Nioh
March: MLB 17*, Nier: Automata
April: Persona 5

What a monstrous start to 2017 from Sony. I wonder what's going to make the back half of the year. Detroit, GT, Dreams and Days Gone seem to be the most likely suspects.

And to chime in on Sucker Punch, I think they're about as much of a sure thing for E3 as Bend and Santa Monica were this year. I'd expect it and Bloodborne 2 to get announced there.
Back half is probably hot shots golf,gt sport ,ni no kuni2(not first party I know) and dreams...plz

Top Bottom