• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Verendus

Banned
17_BatAngryLost6.jpg

that doesn't sound good
lol

There's no link to anything there. But yes, I also find it sad that Batista is no longer with us. It's tough to come to terms with. It would be like taking Naughty Dog away from SCE. It's just something that leaves a gaping hole, struggling to be filled, but you realise, that it simply can't be filled. If someone else could replace that hole, then maybe it'd be better, but that's not the case.

Kind of like PS4's holiday exclusive lineup. They just left a black hole there.

Awesome. Probably Paris Games Week.
You know what's going to happen next, don't you? Someone will now post Verendus teased Bend's game for PGW in a couple weeks time. Then someone else will pick up on that post, and it'll continue further with several others. Then PGW will come, and when the game isn't shown, those latter people will be like, "B-b-but Verendus said... "

You're doing god's work so that I don't have to.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I can always see the point of your posts going above my head, Verendus.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You know what's going to happen next, don't you? Someone will now post Verendus teased Bend's game for PGW in a couple weeks time. Then someone else will pick up on that post, and it'll continue further with several others. Then PGW will come, and when the game isn't shown, those latter people will be like, "B-b-but Verendus said... "

You're doing god's work so that I don't have to.

I kinda thought that when I posted it, AND YOU FELL RIGHT INTO IT. Bwahahaha. You're welcome, God.

Maybe PSX. Screw it, it'll happen when it happens. Or not at all.

lol

There's no link to anything there. But yes, I also find it sad that Batista is no longer with us. It's tough to come to terms with. It would be like taking Naughty Dog away from SCE. It's just something that leaves a gaping hole, struggling to be filled, but you realise, that it simply can't be filled. If someone else could replace that hole, then maybe it'd be better, but that's not the case.

Kind of like PS4's holiday exclusive lineup. They just left a black hole there.

well even tough batista might not be The Undertaker, i still think there is a dedicated fanbase for him & i think many people woulde love to see another comeback from him --- he needs another chance
but i see....seems like there is no hope left. RIP Evolution

i dont watch WWE...i tried my best

QaaQer

Cheers for the thread. They still don't have a big time shooter, gt7 is taking too long (probably because they had to make that cash grab gt6), another uncharted game, more god of war (gonna bomb like ascension), and some vr stuff. Kinda dull.

But we have Driveclub, The Last Guardian, and Horizon, so it's all good. :)

PS I hope Horizon has hundreds of hours of gameplay like diablo and monhun; I'll be so disappointed if it is just another 10 hour adventure from Sony.

Verendus

Banned
I can always see the point of your posts going above my head, Verendus.
I like annoying people, so when you inadvertently help me annoy people through no fault of your own, it makes it kind of enjoyable for me. It's like picking up the psychological remains I didn't even have to put in the effort to create. I think GAF makes me childish like that.

On a serious note, SCE is having a good year. I can remember at the beginning of the year, everyone was fearful that too many games are being held back, and so far, you've already had four notable titles like Dreams, TLG, Gravity Rush 2, and Horizon unveiled, and you still have the two of the three major conferences left (I don't count TGS, because no one does, let's be honest).

Separately, it's taken a long time to really get some great exclusive games. Infamous and Driveclub were solid, but there's yet to be an internally developed title that really knocks everyone's socks off, and we're going to be in year three when that will probably happen with Nathaniel Drakengard.

It's actually crazy how quickly time flies though. Year three in November.

But I think people will forget this period if SCE brings consistency in the second half of the generation. We all forget quickly. I can't even remember stuff from six months ago, but then that's probably just age catching up to me.

well even tough batista might not be The Undertaker, i still think there is a dedicated fanbase for him & i think many people woulde love to see another comeback from him --- he needs another chance
but i see....seems like there is no hope left. RIP Evolution

i dont watch WWE...i tried my best
It's okay. I don't really watch it either except once a month.

But just know, if you even did just that much, you could be part of the greatest community on GAF. I call it BatistaGAF. The best, and the bestest, of the best. It's a place of happiness, sunshine, and unrelenting positivity. Just think how much better your life could be surrounded by that kind of energy.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, I can't remember what released 6 months ago either! I'm also sensing another avatar bets incoming.

But yeah, any worry about Sony not having PS4 exclusives lined up should have been taken care of already with their announcements.

I really hope that whatever sucker punch is working on it allows the eye tracking they were demoing as an alternative control scheme. I'm really interested in trying that..

Would get me to buy a camera for sure.

First time I hear about that rumored AAA JRPG from JapanStudio and now I'm psyched. I need to know more about this.

well verendus is here.....aks him before he goes back to his holy BatistaGaf :p

But just know, if you even did just that much, you could be part of the greatest community on GAF. I call it BatistaGAF. The best, and the bestest, of the best. It's a place of happiness, sunshine, and unrelenting positivity. Just think how much better your life could be surrounded by that kind of energy.

no interest in the batista fanclub :D i only liked the masked ones - rey mysterio, classic Kane and the Boogeyman.

Youre right. I should try.

Verendus! Buddy! Your post where you mentioned that AAA JRPG from JapanStudio was from 2013. Heard anything new regarding this project since then?

i will have another try aswell :D

Verendus with that core game from Sony London.....were you referring to a VR Game?

Pachimari

I want to clear something up here: SMS is more than just another development house. Like SCEE Cambridge, who helped build tech that was used throughout the PS2 era, they make games AND help craft engines. The ICE Team was there during the PS3 era, and there was huge in-house effort to cultivate indies and help them really push the hardware (thatgamecompany is obviously a major byproduct of that). In many ways, SMS is the liaison between outside companies and what internal WWS folks are working on. They're more than God of War, and that's gone all the way back to what Dave Jaffe and co were doing on Kinetica to help grok the PS2's... unique setup (the engine for which the PS2 God of Wars were based).

I know you mentioned "other projects," but they really are more than just co-publishers on stuff like Hohokum or Journey.
But we already know this?
But thanks for sharing anyway. :)
It's still a boring studio when it comes to their own AAA titles.

?!

The Benders are up relatively soon. 2017 announcement would be kind of insane.
See now I'm hyped!

?!

The Benders are up relatively soon. 2017 announcement would be kind of insane.

Anybody working on a new Colony Wars for PSVR or just PS4??

Could you tell your friends/colleagues at Sony to put the old Colony Wars games on PSN???

And while we're at it, tell them that a new Afrika or Aquanaut's game would fit PSVR like a glove! And WW2 flight sims and Motorstorm...

Rosur

I hope we see Sucker Punches new game this year (can see it being saved for PGX with the new God of War announced at PGW). Also Japans studios AAA game will be good to see at ones of those to.

Cripshay

Banned
I want to clear something up here: SMS is more than just another development house. Like SCEE Cambridge, who helped build tech that was used throughout the PS2 era, they make games AND help craft engines. The ICE Team was there during the PS3 era.....
Sorry, but that's not true. The ICE Team is in Naughty Dogs building.

Awesome. Probably Paris Games Week.
Won't happen. PGW is an event for all the european projects and maybe the next Gran Turismo. Bend Studio is in the USA. So their next game will either been shown at this years PSX or next year at E3.

monreader

Neo Member
The one studio that I really want to know about is Guerilla Cambridge! From that job listing a while back it would seem that they have taken over Killzone but does anyone know if the studio is big enough to be working on Rigs and Killzone att he same time?

Next year is so stacked!

All we need is an announcement of GT7 for next holiday, then I think it is safe to say its looking like one of the best lineups Sony has had in the past decade.

I wonder if Guerrilla Cambridge will get another chance to make a shooter. I mean, Killzone Mercenary probably wasn't especially successful, but I think most people agree it's an excellent entry in the series, and definitely better than Shadow Fall. While Sony might be doing very well right now and getting marketing on third party releases on the likes of Battlefront, COD and Destiny, I still think having their own in-house FPS franchise is an important part of the catalogue.

I also think that Santa Monica would be good at making an FPS, as they make amazing set-pieces and I can see them managing an awesome linear story-driven shooter. I wonder if that was originally the plan for Stig's cancelled game.

Percy

Banned
I guess you mean....

... and it has nothing in common with Twisted Metal. It's a sequel to the nearly 13 year old IP "Hardware: Online Arena". I guess you think: Car-Combat = Twisted Metal
Hardware: Online Arena was pure fun. And Hardware: Rivals looks damn good, too.

Ah yeah, that's them. I'd honestly never heard of Hardware Online Arena, you're right that my mind just immediately went to TM when I saw 'car combat' though. Can't help it... association is just too strong.

Cheers for the info.

Next year is so stacked!

All we need is an announcement of GT7 for next holiday, then I think it is safe to say its looking like one of the best lineups Sony has had in the past decade.

"The greatest line up in Playstation history!" lol ;)

driver116

I wonder if Guerrilla Cambridge will get another chance to make a shooter. I mean, Killzone Mercenary probably wasn't especially successful, but I think most people agree it's an excellent entry in the series, and definitely better than Shadow Fall. While Sony might be doing very well right now and getting marketing on third party releases on the likes of Battlefront, COD and Destiny, I still think having their own in-house FPS franchise is an important part of the catalogue.

I also think that Santa Monica would be good at making an FPS, as they make amazing set-pieces and I can see them managing an awesome linear story-driven shooter. I wonder if that was originally the plan for Stig's cancelled game.

They're probably working on VR projects if I had to guess. Though yes, they should take the KZ franchise.

Despite some people not liking it, somehow I think that that "mature" Jak and Daxter concept art brought to life would have done well and struck a chord if done super well.

Agree.

I'll take more Delsin if his power sets get more fleshed out, varied, and he can start to mix powers. Infamous 2 Cole only had electricity with a side of ice or fire, but his abilities felt much more varied and interesting to use. I especially liked how involved his navigation tools were. Delsin travels faster, but it's just a matter of holding one button and steering in most cases. Infamous 2 had the grind cables from the first game, plus awesome new tools like the sogood.gif ice jump and the lightning tether that made you feel like spiderman.

I liked how fluid were the traversal mechanics in ss. Very simple but fun. They sure need to improve a sequel in many departements, like side content and variety of powers (i'm talking about actual moves, not just granade variation n.262)... But yeah, delsin>>>>>cole.

They're probably working on VR projects if I had to guess. Though yes, they should take the KZ franchise.

I don't even mean the Killzone franchise necessarily. I mean, they did a great job with Mercenary but I wonder if the franchise is a little too tainted with too many mediocre instalments to ever be a genuinely big series. I mean, it felt like Shadow Fall was their best chance as a kind of soft reboot on a new console, but they dropped that ball.

GG Cambridge have always made interesting games in the past (Medievil, Primal, Ghosthunter), so I wonder how they'd manage if they were given carte blanche to make a completely original FPS not set in the Killzone universe.

They were working on more before Until Dawn was well received.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164987622&postcount=1678

After Until Dawn's success I wonder if they're in talks to be acquired by Sony. Not that I see any need, but after years of working together anyway and their first big breakthrough game, they've got to be pretty near the top of the pile of developers who would slide neatly into WWS.

After Until Dawn's success I wonder if they're in talks to be acquired by Sony. Not that I see any need, but after years of working together anyway and their first big breakthrough game, they've got to be pretty near the top of the pile of developers who would slide neatly into WWS.

hmm im not so sure about that...I mean Quantic Dreams & Ready at Dawn also worked together for several years (more or less succesfull games) and Sony didn't took them over

Actually i think Sony is quite happy with the 2nd Party Partnerships at the moment

However i think with Supermassive, Sony could have its own studio for horror themed games -- (also VR)

FelipeMGM

You base that on what? Your ass? At TGS it was still listed as a 2016 title on multiple occasions.

Just like P5 was a 2015 game a week ago. Things change, Horizon is shaping to be a very amazing ambitious game, and they might need some extra time to polish that. Not surprising if a delay comes, and it will prob be for the best.

Not saying I agree with Retro4ever and that the game will be delayed for sure, but its not unusual in this generation.

hmm im not so sure about that...I mean Quantic Dreams & Ready at Dawn also worked together for several years (more or less succesfull games) and Sony didn't took them over

Actually i think Sony is quite happy with the 2nd Party Partnerships at the moment

However i think with Supermassive, Sony could have its own studio for horror themed games -- (also VR)

I think Sony didnt bought QD yet because they still have 1 more exclusive game on contract, so it would be stupid to buy them at this time. With RaD I was pretty sure it was going to happen, but then The Order under delivered and prob shook things up between them.

I think Horizon is definitely ripe for being delayed into 2017, because it seems very ambitious and I'm sure Sony is going to want to make sure it's as polished as possible.

I think God of War IV will definitely be 2017 as well, but there's not long until we find out much more, as I'm sure it will be getting a full unveil at PSX.

Separately, it's taken a long time to really get some great exclusive games. Infamous and Driveclub were solid, but there's yet to be an internally developed title that really knocks everyone's socks off, and we're going to be in year three when that will probably happen with Nathaniel Drakengard.
Bloodborne? :V

Japan Studio was a big part of the core, right?

Pachimari

I don't know what to expect for Paris Games Week. Probably these:

- Wild update
- Rime update
- Heavy Rain / Beyond HD showcase

I don't think Gran Turismo will be announced.

I would really love MAG to come back though!

- Wild update
- Rime update

More Dreams has been confirmed and perhaps Cage will reveal his next game there as well.

That and the first UC4 MP footage.

does anyone here know more infos about the number of employees of SCE Bend, Guerilla Cabdridge, Sucker Punch, San diego and Santa Monica?

Santa Monica had a lot of layoffs, so im not sore how man oft hose (over 200) are still working

and who is the director of the sucker punch games?

PayaV87

The way I see Paris has to have 2 big announcements: Gran Turismo 7 and Quantic Dream's new game.
At PSX, I expect to have 2 more announcements: God of War IV and Bend's new game.

If we are lucky, we could have a release shedule like this:
January: Gravity Rush: Remastered
February: Alienation
March: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End; MLB 16: The Show
April: Ratchet & Clank, Hellblade, Shadow of the Beast
May: RIGS, DriveClub Season 2
June: Gravity Rush 2
July: Heavy Rain & Beyond: Two Souls Remastered
August: Rime, What remains of Edit Finch
September: The Last Guardian
October: Singularity (Quantic Dream's new game)
November: Horizon: Zero Dawn
December: Gran Turismo 7

I don't expect a delay on Guerilla Games's part, neither on the Japan Studio to deliver the Last Guardian. However I expect Dreams to be delayed. The last four-five months looks awesome.

2017 will have Dreams, WiLD, God of War IV, Bend's New Game, Sucker Punch's New Game, and hopefully Bloodborne 2 and Until Dawn 2. If I toy with this idea, I can see this:

2017 Q1: Dreams (seems like a January title), Bloodborne 2 (Feb.), God of War IV (Mar.)
2017 Q2: Bend's New Game (Rumor says it's like TLOU, so I choose Jun.)
2017 Q3: WiLD (Aug.)
2017 Q4: Until Dawn 2 (It will be Halloween this time - Oct.), Sucker Punch's New Game (Nov.)

Toro

Banned

- Wild update
- Rime update

There is a reason why SCEE skipped their Gamescom press-conference for PGW.

Paris Games Week = France
WiLD = France
Quantic Dream and their new IP = France
These are two of SCEE's biggest games right now. PGW is the perfect place for them.

FelipeMGM

- Wild update
- Rime update

And Dreams, QD ne IP, Shadow Of The Beast date, No Man's Sky date

Also Ovosonico PS4 exclusive game which has yet to be announced, and prob some new ''second'' party exclusives from smaller studios

FelipeMGM

The way I see Paris has to have 2 big announcements: Gran Turismo 7 and Quantic Dream's new game.
At PSX, I expect to have 2 more announcements: God of War IV and Bend's new game.

If we are lucky, we could have a release shedule like this:
January: Gravity Rush: Remastered
February: Alienation
March: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End; MLB 16: The Show
April: Ratchet & Clank, Hellblade, Shadow of the Beast
May: RIGS, DriveClub Season 2
June: Gravity Rush 2
July: Heavy Rain & Beyond: Two Souls Remastered
August: Rime, What remains of Edit Finch
September: The Last Guardian
October: Singularity (Quantic Dream's new game)
November: Horizon: Zero Dawn
December: Gran Turismo 7

I don't expect a delay on Guerilla Games's part, neither on the Japan Studio to deliver the Last Guardian. However I expect Dreams to be delayed. The last four-five months looks awesome.

2017 will have Dreams, WiLD, God of War IV, Bend's New Game, Sucker Punch's New Game, and hopefully Bloodborne 2 and Until Dawn 2. If I toy with this idea, I can see this:

2017 Q1: Dreams (seems like a January title), Bloodborne 2 (Feb.), God of War IV (Mar.)
2017 Q2: Bend's New Game (Rumor says it's like TLOU, so I choose Jun.)
2017 Q3: WiLD (Aug.)
2017 Q4: Until Dawn 2 (It will be Halloween this time - Oct.), Sucker Punch's New Game (Nov.)

Gravity Rush Remastered is in February and Heavy Rain/B2S remasters are stated for 2015.

Also, I think Sony will not face the big third party games in October, November and December no more. So I think september is a better month for Horizon, GT7 can stay in december cuz it will sell no matter what. Also, Wattam could fit in the Jan-Fab window as well.

Give me an amazing GT7, UC4, TLG, GR and SFV and I'm good for 2016. Really, I don't play a ton of games anymore so the ones I do play I want to actually get the most out of. GT7 and SFV are games that I can play all year. And Uncharted and TLG are the only things I will get day one. Next year ill just be getting to stuff like TW3 batman, MGSV, etc...

I wonder if SCE being so close to Hollywood with Sony pictures a sister company is why Sony produces some of the best story games? They really haven't done a big open world game, and AC, Batman, etc...prove its still a ripe field. Always wanted to see what style of open world ND or SSM would do. Or better yet SCEJ's take on open world.

viHuGi

Banned
How does Dreams not look like it will be ready? They've been working on this for many years. They have a lot more info on PGW. Bend's IP I would guess is a 2016 title as well as GT7.

Seems like too much games for 2016 honestly... they gotta have save something for 2017, my bets are on Sucker Punch, Santa Monica and MM games will be 2017, Quantic Dream not sure.

Zukkoyaki

I envision the rough release schedule to look something like this...

1st half 2016:
- Feb. Street Fighter V
- Mar. Uncharted 4
- Apr. Ratchet and Clank
- Jun. Gravity Rush 2
- Various. Tomorrow Children, Alienation, etc.

2nd half of 2016 is much more up in the air. Though I'm going to make a bold prediction that one of Sony's big games that has been in the works for awhile will release earlier than expected, like July or August. Best case scenario is probably something like:
- Aug. Dreams
- Sep. The Last Guardian
- Oct. Horizon
- Nov. GT7
- Of course digital games sprinkled in

I firmly believe that God of War, Sucker Punch's game, and Quantic Dream's game are all 2017. It's Bend that's the real wild card. I could see their game being 2016 or 2017. We will have to wait and see with that one.

Top Bottom