• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PlayStation Home Console Shipments reach 370 million worldwide (Data inside)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Xbox Home Console Shipments = 122.8 million
Nintendo Home Console Shipments = 275 million
Sony Home Console Shipments = 370 million

*Numbers are rounded

Xbox has the better numbers. Let's take the units shipped over the number of years Xbox has been on the market.

122.8/14 years = 8.77 million shipments on average per year for Xbox. For a company that has only been in the game for 14 years and have that kind of shipment, compared to Nintendo that has been around for over a century and Sony which is an old player as well, MS is the new kid on the block. Better watch out.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So 20M PS4 shipped by the end of 2014? That almost twice as fast as PS3 did.

Yup, PS3 took around 26 months to hit that milestone where as PS4 did it in 14 months.

Xbox has the better numbers. Let's take the units shipped over the number of years Xbox has been on the market.

122.8/14 years = 8.77 million shipments on average per year for Xbox. For a company that has only been in the game for 14 years and have that kind of shipment, compared to Nintendo that has been around for over a century and Sony which is an old player as well, MS is the new kid on the block. Better watch out.

What are you talking about? Is this a poor attempt at trolling or something?

Sony = 18.5m a year.
Nintendo = 9m a year.

onQ123

Is this a joke post? 370/20 years = 18.5 million on average per year for PlayStation. how is Xbox numbers better?

Mory Dunz

Return of Cell!

Sony and MS must be thinking of the possibility they really do fold though.

tumblr_lwn0kkqXK41r8tyjfo1_500.gif

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hmmmmm

Nah. Must be joke post

Math re-invented!

EatMyFace

Banned
Shame because its the best portable console hardware and design wise by far.
Ergonomics are horrible and their mobile strategy is seriously flawed.
I could see another mobile PS console in a few years. It would be a Tablet though with bundled in DS4.

EatMyFace

Banned

370M Playstation consoles divided by 20 Years = 18.5million consoles sold per year on average.
18.5 > 8.7

ZhugeEX

Banned
I realise some people may be interested in the regional split-

Numbers are rounded

PS1-

21.60m - Asia
40.80m - North America
40.15m - Europe + Other

No final data for PS2/PS3 or PS4 unfortunately.

All we know for PS2 is that NA and Europe are both over 50 million each and Asia is over 25 million.

Numbers are rounded

PS1-

21.60m - Asia
40.80m - North America
40.15m - Europe + Other

All we know for PS2 is that NA and Europe are both over 50 million each and Asia is over 25 million.

Sony hasn't disclosed Japan and Europe numbers and such for the other consoles? Don't they have to state numbers to investors every quarter?

Sony have really killed it in the console home space since starting, the PS3 was a monumental fuck up but will still end up north of 90 million. It's going to be really interesting to see where the PS4 is end of this year, a lot of the big games remain cross generation but the uptake for current generation consoles has been good.

What's the chances that yearly sales for PS4 this year will be higher than 2014? There's not a huge amount coming out for current generation only but I guess the likes of Batman should do well.

impact

Banned

Numbers are rounded

PS1-

21.60m - Asia
40.80m - North America
40.15m - Europe + Other

Back when Asia wasn't glued to crappy handhelds :(

Do people seriously think PS5 won't be a console?

It'll be a physical box. Technology progress over the next few years will determine what's in it.

If it's a streaming box, chances are your PS4 is already a PS5. Why convince people to buy new hardware (usually sold at a loss) when you can sell them software (the most profitable side of the industry for Sony) over a streaming service to hardware they already own?

It'll be a physical box. Technology progress over the next few years will determine what's in it.

If it's a streaming box, chances are your PS4 is already a PS5. Why convince people to buy new hardware (usually sold at a loss) when you can sell them software (the most profitable side of the industry for Sony) over a streaming service to hardware they already own?

It won't be a streaming box, since a very large percentage of console buyers never connect to the internet.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sony hasn't disclosed Japan and Europe numbers and such for the other consoles? Don't they have to state numbers to investors every quarter?

They don't have to disclose the reason, in fact they don't even have to disclose the unit shipments if they don't want to.

Not many organisations break down sales by region and so we're lucky we got them for 1994-2008. Shame we don't get regional sales anymore.

Sony have really killed it in the console home space since starting, the PS3 was a monumental fuck up but will still end up north of 90 million. It's going to be really interesting to see where the PS4 is end of this year, a lot of the big games remain cross generation but the uptake for current generation consoles has been good.

What's the chances that yearly sales for PS4 this year will be higher than 2014? There's not a huge amount coming out for current generation only but I guess the likes of Batman should do well.

I myself am estimating more than 16.2 million units will be sold in this year which is up from 15.4m in CY2014. It could end up doing more but I don't want to overshoot. I think it will certainly be up YOY though. Mainly due to a price cut I can see happening towards the end of third quarter (Calender year)

Good stuff as always Zhuge!

Cheers. :)

It won't be a streaming box, since a very large percentage of console buyers never connect to the internet.

If it launched today, sure. We're talking at least half a decade from now, hence it all depends on how technology progresses. And regardless of whether there's a dedicated console, there's still a very good chance that the PS4 will be able to stream PS5 games.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Thought I'd post my home country sales as well.

UK LTD Sell through (Gfk)

PS1 - >7.2m
PS2 - >10.0m
PS3 - <6.0m
PS4 - <2.0m

As of Dec 31st 2014

ZhugeEX

Banned
And now USA LTD (please note this is not entire North America, just US)
Also note that this is NOT sell in, but sell through.

USA LTD as of December 31st 2014

Sell%20through_zpsil7j7erc.jpg

PS2, PS3 & PS4 vs Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Sell%20through%202_zpsiabhzfim.jpg

PS1, PS2, PS3 & PS4 sales have exceeded 111 million sold through to end customers in the USA as of December 31st 2014.

Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One have exceeded 63.6 million units sold through to end customers in the USA as of December 31st 2014.

Tapejara

That's crazy. At the rate the PS4 is selling, it's likely they'll hit 400 million on home consoles alone by the end of this gen. Add portables in and you're just 10 million shy of 500 million.

onQ123

That's crazy. At the rate the PS4 is selling, it's likely they'll hit 400 million on home consoles alone by the end of this gen. Add portables in and you're just 10 million shy of 500 million.

They will reach 400 million Christmas 2016 easily.

Javin98

Banned
Xbox Home Console Shipments = 122.8 million
Nintendo Home Console Shipments = 275 million
Sony Home Console Shipments = 370 million

*Numbers are rounded
Holy shit. I never realized that Playstation consoles sold so much more than Nintendo consoles. That brand power indeed. This also reminds me that I've played games on all the Playstation consoles.

impact

Banned
Holy shit. I never realized that Playstation consoles sold so much more than Nintendo consoles. That brand power indeed. This also reminds me that I've played games on all the Playstation consoles.

Nintendo has never really had a huge console hit outside of the Wii. People tend to forget that just because they generally stay profitable.

This has probably been documented somewhere, but when comparing the Sony and Nintendo numbers, it's interesting. Nintendo had a 10+ year, tens of millions of console sales lead when Sony came into the scene. What did Sony do right, and/or what did Nintendo do wrong? How do these numbers contribute to the "bottom line" of each company? For example, making up some numbers here, the PS2 may have had a 10:1 lead on the GameCube, but that wouldn't mean much on its own; it may turn out that each PS2 was being sold at a loss, and the GameCube was profitable. Obviously I don't know any of this, but it would be a cool supplement to the raw sales numbers.

Sony entering the console space was one of the best things that could've happened to gaming. I've owned every single Sony home console and have been nothing but happy with the quantity, quality, and variety of game selections, the controllers, the user interfaces, etc.

onQ123

Nintendo has never really had a huge console hit outside of the Wii. People tend to forget that just because they generally stay profitable.

Every Nintendo console was a huge hit until PlayStation came & made the numbers seem smaller.

What are the odds that the PS3 will hit 100 million? I remember telling my friend way back 5 years ago (yes 2010, holy shit I feel old) that it will and he laughed at me.

Did it crack 90 yet?

What are the odds that the PS3 will hit 100 million? I remember telling my friend way back 5 years ago (yes 2010, holy shit I feel old) that it will and he laughed at me.

Did it crack 90 yet?

Unlikely, unless they drop the price. I think it's still too expensive for some people. It's still around $199.99. Most consoles by this time in their life have already fallen below $149.99.

Taurus

Crazy part is Nintendo had about a 100 million lead when PlayStation started
Well, Nintendo has always stayed competitive at handheld market too, which stretches their limited ability to produce enough interesting games for their platforms. Nintendo is a lot smaller company than Sony's Playstation division or Microsoft's Xbox division.

What would the numbers look like if you count handheld consoles as well?

onQ123

Well, Nintendo has always stayed competitive at handheld market too, which stretches their limited ability to produce enough interesting games for their platforms. Nintendo is a lot smaller company than Sony's Playstation division or Microsoft's Xbox division.

What would the numbers look like if you count handheld consoles as well?

This wasn't about the size of the companies or handhelds.

I myself am estimating more than 16.2 million units will be sold in this year which is up from 15.4m in CY2014. It could end up doing more but I don't want to overshoot. I think it will certainly be up YOY though. Mainly due to a price cut I can see happening towards the end of third quarter (Calender year)

It will definitely be interesting for many reasons. This year is going to be difficult for PS4 in that there is no big first party game releasing that pushes consoles, the bigger issue is that many of the 3rd party games remain cross generation. I mentioned it before but that is still quite a big barrier, a game such as Black Ops 3 could have really pushed both XB1 and PS4 but rumour that it's cross generation limits its console selling potential. Batman and Battlefront are the two big current generation only games releasing this year sales wise, hardly amazing. I think that's what makes the PS4 sales so far so impressive, its basically been selling with no outstanding exclusive game but rather fancier versions of games you can get on PS3.

onQ123

It will definitely be interesting for many reasons. This year is going to be difficult for PS4 in that there is no big first party game releasing that pushes consoles, the bigger issue is that many of the 3rd party games remain cross generation. I mentioned it before but that is still quite a big barrier, a game such as Black Ops 3 could have really pushed both XB1 and PS4 but rumour that it's cross generation limits its console selling potential. Batman and Battlefront are the two big current generation only games releasing this year sales wise, hardly amazing. I think that's what makes the PS4 sales so far so impressive, its basically been selling with no outstanding exclusive game but rather fancier versions of games you can get on PS3.

It's the best console to play most games on it doesn't need to have any big first party games to push consoles. I'm not sure why that's so hard for people to understand.

PS4 is going to be just fine.

Top Bottom