• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PR = Bad PR: cancelling Infamous interview to be petty

Status
Not open for further replies.
By sides you mean 1 group accepting criticism of a game and the other just being mad at the reviewer for harming their precious IP. So what does the other group do? What else make personal attacks against a guy who is just doing his job. Like it or not people have opinions and in the REAL world you learn to deal with those.

I think its quite petty(but not to surprising ) that Sony did that.

I also read Tom Chick's article on inFamous and guess what I'm still getting it partially because he along with many other reviewers said the game is good go get it.

So my opinion on the whole thing is Tom got stood up for doing his job. That means Sony PR fails for making that the case.

Dabanton

stuminus3 said:
So... is this whole thread worth reading? Looks pretty entertaining just from glancing at the last page or two.

Yeah it's well worth a read from about page,4 some hilarious stuff from ghst and Drinky Crow.

One of the funniest threads on Gaf for a while.:lol

I AM JOHN! said:
Wow. Next week's going to be hell on GAF, isn't it?

Naw, i think the mods will be handing out some nice long holiday breaks from gaf if it comes down to people going to far.

stuminus3 said:
So... is this whole thread worth reading? Looks pretty entertaining just from glancing at the last page or two.
As Haunted said, this is a good warm-up thread for the real thing next week. It's looking, from this thread, like things are going to get a bit rowdy.

laserbeam

Banned
Sony being petty which is stupid since he wrote a positive and negative article. Pretty much guaranteed that other gaming sites will run with the story as long as they dont have an exclusive interview coming up.

Maztorre

ghst said:
and in this thread, sony fans truly prove themselves to be the most reactionary, subservient morons that this industry ever shit out. each one sticking a hand in another's ass, pulling out what the can, piling it up and creating a fecal empire for their overlords.

you are pr conditioned to the point of brainwashing, you are so accustomed to the status quo of games journalism being just another pr outlet that any kind of dissent for a product, that you just know will be great - even satirical - hits you like a ten tonne disruption truck, and sends your billy club toting gestapo out into the streets of the internet raging for blood. it's quasi religious, it's hilarious and it makes my time here certainly more enjoyable but shit, you don't just facilitate the laughable pr gravy train that games journalism has become, you make it mandatory.

/thread

This shit gets more hilarious with every exclusive release.

Matthew Gallant

bush_mission_accomplished.jpg

Cat in the Hat said:
He also likes communism.
indeed

Ponn

Banned
Hellraizer said:
I'm more hyped about the meltdowns than the actual presentations right now.

Exactly. That's the funnest part of E3. I gave up years ago trying to have civil conversations about anything during E3 week. Whats funny is you will see alot of the same people calling out "sony fanboys" in this thread turning around and doing just as bad or worse fanboyish things next week for their respective camps.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
ghst said:
and in this thread, sony fans truly prove themselves to be the most reactionary, subservient morons that this industry ever shit out. each one sticking a hand in another's ass, pulling out what the can, piling it up and creating a fecal empire for their overlords.

you are pr conditioned to the point of brainwashing, you are so accustomed to the status quo of games journalism being just another pr outlet that any kind of dissent for a product, that you just know will be great - even satirical - hits you like a ten tonne disruption truck, and sends your billy club toting gestapo out into the streets of the internet raging for blood. it's quasi religious, it's hilarious and it makes my time here certainly more enjoyable but shit, you don't just facilitate the laughable pr gravy train that games journalism has become, you make it mandatory.

It is embarrassing at this point.

You know what else is bad Sony PR? The hundred or so shit-eating yes-men that frequent this forum. Least Sony could do is pay them or maybe send some free stuff their way every now and again.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I personally think it wise of Sony to cancel the interview with him. He wrote an over the top hate piece about the game, trolled it, and now wants to interview them about their "stupid mistakes"? Come on! Which PR person would be dumb enough to go forward with an interview after something like that.

It was stupid of them not to call and cancel though, rather than piss him off more because he went all the way there only to be told no interview. I'm not saying that behavior is right, but they are doing the smart thing in canceling the interview.

pakkit

Banned
drakesfortune said:
I personally think it wise of Sony to cancel the interview with him. He wrote an over the top hate piece about the game, trolled it, and now wants to interview them about their "stupid mistakes"?
Why are there quotes around that bullshit you just fabricated?

From the article linked in the OP said:
So rather than reading my conversation with designer Nate Fox about how they came up with the various powers, what lessons they were able to carry over from their excellent Sly Cooper games, and what they're thinking about for DLC, I can only leave you with a middling recommendation that it's pretty good as an open-world action game.

Truly, the voice of Sony hatred right there. Thank goodness the underdogs at Sony didn't let the big bully journalist Tom Chick push them around.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
PepsimanVsJoe said:
You know what else is bad Sony PR? The hundred or so shit-eating yes-men that frequent this forum. Least Sony could do is pay them or maybe send some free stuff their way every now and again.

They seem like the sort of guys that would pay double for something crammed up their ass, so I'm sure they'll pass.

drakesfortune said:
I personally think it wise of Sony to cancel the interview with him. He wrote an over the top hate piece about the game, trolled it, and now wants to interview them about their "stupid mistakes"? Come on! Which PR person would be dumb enough to go forward with an interview after something like that.

It was stupid of them not to call and cancel though, rather than piss him off more because he went all the way there only to be told no interview. I'm not saying that behavior is right, but they are doing the smart thing in canceling the interview.

"drakesfortune"

Over the top hate piece?!? Did you even read the article? I learned that it was a good, if somewhat flawed game with cool powers and a shitty story. How in the world is that "hate?" And what exactly did he troll and how?

1-D_FTW

Musashi Wins! said:
It is embarrassing at this point.

It's more disheartening. I actually own a PS3 and refuse to enter PS3 threads because there's no useful information in them. If it's exclusive to Sony, you better not have any dissenting opinions or they're gonna toss you into the circle jerk ring and give 5 bucks to whoever can jizz in your eyes.

traveler

Not Wario
PepsimanVsJoe said:

What makes you think they don't? Or that some of these people aren't Sony PR? I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't have PR people from every one of the big three here.

drakesfortune said:
I personally think it wise of Sony to cancel the interview with him...I'm not saying that behavior is right, but they are doing the smart thing in canceling the interview.
Yes, it's obviously super smart. But please explain why to me anyway, drakesfortune.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Funny how some of you guys truly believe that one fanboy group is actually worse than the other ones even though they are all equally shitty.

cryptic

Is this a good recap of the thread?

1. Article posted.
2. Usual suspects come in claiming this a tragedy.
3. Usual suspects come in defending Sony.
4. Argument between the two wages on.

?

1-D_FTW said:
It's more disheartening. I actually own a PS3 and refuse to enter PS3 threads because there's no useful information in them. If it's exclusive to Sony, you better not have any dissenting opinions or they're gonna toss you into the circle jerk ring and give 5 bucks to whoever can jizz in your eyes.

you an' me both, buddy.

traveler said:
What makes you think they don't? Or that some of these people aren't Sony PR? I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't have PR people from every one of the big three here.

Originally I imagined the actual Sony PR posters that frequent this forum didn't flip out like little children when things didn't go their way but after Sony's response to Tom Chick I'm not so sure.

Take LowRider007 for example. He just might be an actual Sony PR person.

pakkit

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Read the EDGE magazine's review of Killzone 2 where they gave it a 7 brought about charges of moneyhats, and, the best part I recall, subjective objectivity (where the game had to be, objectively, above a 7, due to the graphics and effort put within). It's doubly hilarious when, 3 months after release, it's got the most votes for "most disappointing release of 2009" in that thread.

InFAMOUS is a good game, and it looks like fun. Pointing out flaws in a game doesn't make you a troll. It makes you a good writer about videogames, something that is getting harder and harder to find professionally as games get more expensive to produce and publishers are more and more eager to squash any dissenting opinions.

1-D_FTW said:

The threads for the slightly smaller games (like Ratchet) are fantastic but the threads for games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 which were designated as "system saviors" are cesspools.

On the positive side, the inFamous thread seems just fine, or at least it was up until the last time I checked it a few days ago.

traveler said:
I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't have PR people from every one of the big three here.

Somewhere in my mind, I like to imagine that people paid decent money to spend 40 hours a week running spin for a multinational corporation could do a better job than the kind of fanboy idjits we get sticking up for the big three on GAF.

hauton

Drinky Crow said:
tom, foolishly, believed he was writing for a slightly more sophisticated audience than the gaf ps3 monkey set -- and by "more sophisticated" i mean "capable of breathing and walking at the same time; has possibly tendered the idea of sex with another human being and, in extreme cases, may have performed the act as well; may have advanced into the 'can take nudges and jokes at their hobbies' expense' phase of post-adolescent life"
Drinky Crow said:
like teardrops in the rain

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
PepsimanVsJoe said:
You guys are fucking absurd.

READ THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS THREAD. There are maybe three posts that side with Sony, and one that "defends" their actions. Then there's a crap ton of people who "cannot believe" that people are defending Sony's actions, look at all the fanboys, aren't fanboys horrible, lawl at GAF, etc.

Then you have people like ghst who throw a blanket over all Sony fans with some real utter crap that makes literally no sense in this thread, and you have people coming in on page 14 and assume that the early pages were fanboys leading the charge against logic.

I think some users are just dying to provoke people sometimes. Which might be why most were banned when Killzone 2 didn't chart well and they announced that "inFamous will be the next Sony savior lololol!"

Sheesh.

Opiate

My god, how is anyone defending this? I see two defenses in use: blame the victim, and everybody-is-doing-it.

Some are saying Tom Chick is a poor writer. I happen to agree with this, for the most part. But that's irrelevant: even if we could agree he's a poor writer, that doesn't entitle Sony to treat him poorly. As another example, I cannot steal something from a person, and then use in court as my defense, "well, he's a complete jerk. He deserved it." The point isn't that Tom Chick behaved well -- that may or may not be the case -- the point is that Sony behaved poorly.

....and besides, IGN gets interviews all the time, despite their enumerable top 10 lists. I wonder why that is?

Others are arguing that games jounralism is such drek that Sony is simply fitting in with the crowd. This is also specious reasoning. If it is generally agreed by the populace at large that something is unethical (for example, manipulation fo the press), then it is not acceptable to argue "my friends were doing it, so I did it too."

The fact that Ubisoft and Take 2 and Sony sports division had already been caught behaving this way does not entitle SCE to do the same. It is completely fair to say they're all bad, but you can't pretend Sony isn't part of the naughty bunch.

hauton

Opiate said:
My god, how is anyone defending this? I see two defenses in use: blame the victim, and everybody-is-doing-it.

Some are saying Tom Chick is a poor writer. I happen to agree with this, for the most part. But that's irrelevant: even if we could agree he's a poor writer, that doesn't entitle Sony to treat him poorly. As another example, I cannot steal something from a person, and then use in court as my defense, "well, he's a complete jerk. He deserved it." The point isn't that Tom Chick behaved well -- that may or may not be the case -- the point is that Sony behaved poorly.

....and besides, IGN gets interviews all the time, despite their enumerable top 10 lists. I wonder why that is?

Others are arguing that games jounralism is such drek that Sony is simply fitting in with the crowd. This is also specious reasoning. If it is generally agreed by the populace at large that something is unethical (for example, manipulation fo the press), then it is not acceptable to argue "my friends were doing it, so I did it too."

The fact that Ubisoft and Take 2 and Sony sports division had already been caught behaving this way does not entitle SCE to do the same. It is completely fair to say they're all bad, but you can't pretend Sony isn't part of the naughty bunch.
Um did you just equate the inalienable right to your own property... to getting an interview about a game?

lolwut

Opiate said:

"innumerable," duder. and tom chick is a good writer, both relatively and within the broader swathe of critics across all media, even if he sucks at rts games. let's make this thread about tom!

JudgeN

dammitmattt said:
The threads for the slightly smaller games (like Ratchet) are fantastic but the games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 which were designated as "system saviors" are cesspools.

On the positive side, the inFamous thread seems just fine, or at least it was up until the last time I checked it a few days ago.

Hey hey uncharted was a great game, didn't save the system but worthy of its praise.

But really GAF 14 pages cause Sony cancelled an interview? really? Must be a slow day.

chubigans said:
You guys are fucking absurd.

READ THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS THREAD. There are maybe three posts that side with Sony, and one that "defends" their actions. Then there's a crap ton of people who "cannot believe" that people are defending Sony's actions, look at all the fanboys, aren't fanboys horrible, lawl at GAF, etc.

Then you have people like ghst who throw a blanket over all Sony fans with some real utter crap that makes literally no sense in this thread, and you have people coming in on page 14 and assume that the early pages were fanboys leading the charge against logic.

I think some users are just dying to provoke people sometimes. Which might be why most were banned when Killzone 2 didn't chart well and they announced that "inFamous will be the next Sony savior lololol!"

Sheesh.

One day you'll take your blinders off but I fear that your eyes won't be able to take what has been shielded from you for so long.

Kintaro said:
Do we even know what exactly happened here? Did he do the interview and they said "No, don't run it" or did they just cancel the interview outright or what?

In the article which was posted on the first post in the first page it clearly states that he was stood up.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Do we even know what exactly happened here? Did he do the interview and they said "No, don't run it" or did they just cancel the interview outright or what?

JudgeN said:
Hey hey uncharted was a great game, didn't save the system but worthy of its praise.

But really GAF 14 pages cause Sony cancelled an interview? really? Must be a slow day.

I really liked Uncharted, and the second one looks fantastic. The official thread still sucked, though. That was the point.

thaOwner

Kintaro said:
Better question is how many people in this thread actually even read the OP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom