• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PR = Bad PR: cancelling Infamous interview to be petty

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.R.K

EmCeeGramr said:
if tom chick acts like a 4 year old, then you are several years away from being formed within your father's testes and mother's ovaries

are you tom chick's lost sperm? why you hurting so much in the ass? What's up with the personal attack .. asshole

sonicmj1

PS2 KID said:
See the thing is even if he liked the game, metacritic and gamerankings have to post some kind of numerical score. It's logical they come to the conclusion that it scored 50% based on those top 10 lists. Unless you count them as two separate reviews of course.

Of course, if you read the "Top 10 Stupid Things" list, you'll note that there is a 1, 1a, 1b, and 1c, and they aren't related to each other. It's really more like a Top 13 Stupid Things list.

It would logically follow, then, that InFaMoUs scored a 10 out of 23, or 43.5%.

A.R.K said:
right and GAF is still symathic towards this 40-year old so called 'journalist' who acts like a 4 year old with his trolling articles. Fucking give me a break GAF. :lol

Did you actually read the articles in question? Seriously I can't imagine why in the world Sony would have such a big issue with them. The articles pointed out several things that the reviewer enjoyed and several things that the reviewer did not. Aside from the organization of the article into two parts with one part being the positive and one part being the negative it was much the same as any other game review. There is nothing "4 year old" or "trolling" about this article that I can see. If anything it's a smidge better written then a usual review.

Honestly I can't fathom what so upset Sony / Sucker Punch about an article that stated things like:

I quite liked it. It's a solid action game that happens to have some really clumsy stuff in it. If I had to rate it on a scale from Godfather II to Far Cry 2, I'd put Infamous above Mercenaries 2 but below Assassin's Creed.
Saints Row 2 might have better gameplay and Grand Theft Auto IV might have better graphics, but both of those games are lacking in graphics and gameplay, respectively. Infamous, on the other hand, is the "just right" compromise where the technology and gameplay are a perfect tuned to each other.
The powers in Infamous are spectacular. It's better to let them unfold for you as you play rather than read about them in a review, so I'll refrain from specifics. They're central to how Infamous is superbly paced. As it progresses, the gameplay evolves along with Cole's powers, which keeps thing fresh throughout

PS2 KID

Thomper said:
I think even the people at Metacritic and Gamerankings are smart enough to know that 10 negatives and 10 positives don't mean they have to give the game a 50% in their database. Because that would be a really stupid thing to think.

What methodology do you suggest they use to determine a numerical score from these two 10 lists Thomper?

A.R.K said:
are you tom chick's lost sperm? why you hurting so much in the ass? What's up with the personal attack .. asshole
aebcbd.jpg

GameGamer

ghst said:
and in this thread, sony fans truly prove themselves to be the most reactionary, subservient morons that this industry ever shit out. each one sticking a hand in another's ass, pulling out what the can, piling it up and creating a fecal empire for their overlords.

you are pr conditioned to the point of brainwashing, you are so accustomed to the status quo of games journalism being just another pr outlet that any kind of dissent for a product, that you just know will be great - even satirical - hits you like a ten tonne disruption truck, and sends your billy club toting gestapo out into the streets of the internet raging for blood. it's quasi religious, it's hilarious and it makes my time here certainly more enjoyable but shit, you don't just facilitate the laughable pr gravy train that games journalism has become, you make it mandatory.

You didn't have to tell it like it is Marge!

Thomper

PS2 KID said:
What methodology do you suggest they use to determine a numerical score from these two 10 lists Thomper?
I'd do the smart thing and not determine a numerical score when there's absolutely no need to have a numerical score. Just read the articles and judge for yourself, which both these articles combined clearly allow you to. There's no law saying that all reviews have to end with a numerical value.

GameGamer

proposition said:
Really? Really?

So instead of reading an interview with Peter Moore telling the interviewer why his game is so good, we'll just read an article by Peter Moore explaining that his game is so good?

How exactly does that solve anything?

Less money wasted on the press that could go to more/better programmers and writers?

J-Rzez

forgeforsaken said:
I'm rather sure he does that intentionally as it's something he does all the time with various games.

Oh OK. Now I see why people here say he's a literary genius. My bad.

GameGamer said:
Less money wasted on the press that could go to more/better programmers and writers?
But how is the consumer supposed to know what's a good game aside from by word of mouth from their friends?

PS2 KID

Thomper said:
I'd do the smart thing and not determine a numerical score when there's absolutely no need to have a numerical score. Just read the articles and judge for yourself, which both these articles combined clearly allow you to. There's no law saying that all reviews have to end with a numerical value.

While sensible people would do that. Most people would take the negatives more seriously in a game they are interested in purchasing for themselves. Having 10 'stupid' things can be construed more negatively, especially if one is to miss the 'tongue in cheek' tongue in some of them that are not meant to be taken seriously. Thus when Mr. Chick posted his 10 'stupid' things list first, it unintentionally gave the game a negative light.

Some people are reliant on sites such as metacritic and as mentioned above they would probably click on the lowest ranked score to see what negatives a reviewer would see in a game. Though unfair, such is the nature of the internet and too much information age we now live in. Which is why I brought up the 'what would it score' question in the first place.

J-Rzez said:
Should they give someone the time that writes 10 bad and 10 backhanded comments rather than someone else who doesn't have quite the same agenda to fill?

And what skill does this guy have? He brings forum board style to "real articles". There are people who know how to be funny and get a point across at the same time, like Yahtzee, which meets the criteria you've just spouted. This guy just flat out trolls like he copy and pasted his post at txb and posted it as an article.

What the fuck is his agenda?!? :lol :lol :lol

You heard it here first. The same guy who had exactly one first-party Sony game (Patapon) and one first-party Microsoft game (Nuts & Bolts) in his 2008 top ten is on a mission to discredit Sony, one top ten list at a time.

Please, please, please try to make the case that he has an agenda against Sony. I want blog posts, forum posts, email conversations, phone calls, bank account trails, etc. Make it happen, GAF.

Also, doodz, if he wanted to assign a review score, he would've fucking assigned a review score. Please shut up about that and get back to the more entertaining conspiracy theories.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Wow, this thread is amazing. Apparently GAF is much more consistent in their PR, maybe they should get the interview/marketing piece.

derder

I doubt this will sell one less copy of the game. I doubt that if the interview took place, that it would have encouraged one more copy sold.

Boooooring

sonicmj1

Thomper said:

Clearly, you overestimate Metacritic's ability to do the 'smart thing' when confronted with any system that doesn't score out of 10 or 100.

For one obvious and not-isolated example, I'll point you to Ninja Gaiden 2, where Nick Suttner's score of B- was translated into a 67 out of 100.

J-Rzez

dammitmattt said:
What the fuck is his agenda?!? :lol :lol :lol

To stand out in journalism by reporting like he's a bottom of a barrel simpleton trolling forum poster? You still never answered the three times I questioned why they should give him the time of day.

Oh - :lol :lol :lol

gcubed

just a quick Q, did Sony say they cancelled because of his "lists" or was the interview simply cancelled but forgotten to be relayed and the speculation train decided to run wild with crazy hate theories.

J-Rzez said:
To stand out in journalism by reporting like he's a bottom of a barrel simpleton trolling forum poster? You still never answered the three times I questioned why they should give him the time of day.

They don't have to. But they did. And then backed out without prior notice, apparently. Is that type of behavior acceptable in your workplace?

Can you give me some examples of him being a simpleton trolling forum poster?

sonicmj1

gcubed said:
just a quick Q, did Sony say they cancelled because of his "lists" or was the interview simply cancelled but forgotten to be relayed and the speculation train decided to run wild with crazy hate theories.

From the article linked in the OP:

Tom Chick said:
Sony later informed me that an interview wasn't appropriate considering last week's coverage of the game here and specifically here.

Cancelled because of the lists.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Never thought this shit would get to page 13.

Anyway, J Rez would you still say the same if it was MS or Nintendo or EA etc? You and your ilk really should step out of the box, smell some fresh air and look at the big picture.

Thomper

sonicmj1 said:
Clearly, you overestimate Metacritic's ability to do the 'smart thing' when confronted with any system that doesn't score out of 10 or 100.

For one obvious and not-isolated example, I'll point you to Ninja Gaiden 2, where Nick Suttner's score of B- was translated into a 67 out of 100.
True, but in that case there's still an actual value attached to the review. The conversion of letters to numbers is just stupid. But in the case of this inFamous 'review', nowhere does it assign any data that could possibly be converted. I'm pretty sure even Metacritic won't convert a 10 positives/13 negatives-list to mean the game scored a 10 out of a possible 23.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
gcubed said:

Cancelled because of lists. Oh Sony, I'll still buy inFamous.

J-Rzez

dammitmattt said:
They don't have to. But they did. And then backed out without prior notice, apparently. Is that type of behavior acceptable in your workplace?

Can you give me some examples of him being a simpleton trolling forum poster?

My line of work is different from this, as in the right to know acts wouldn't allow such behavior, though "no comment" goes a long way. I can see it applicable in many retail situations, and even in this situation as it's not worth the time in which they can give their attention to more legitimate journalists.

You really need an example after even his 10 "good" things article on this game? That alone seals it.

WrikaWrek said:
Never thought this shit would get to page 13.

Anyway, J Rez would you still say the same if it was MS or Nintendo or EA etc? You and your ilk really should step out of the box, smell some fresh air and look at the big picture.

Yes, I would say the same. Anyone who writes two top ten lists like that shouldn't be taken seriously as he's just wasting their time, just like anyone who reads his article. His "gimmick" isn't even funny. Like I said, Yahtzee does it so much better. Chick's writing is forum trolling at best. My "ilk", that packs a punch coming from you, lol. There is no "big picture" here. This kind of writing is the reason why gaming journalists are joked about.

Orlics

Drinky Crow said:
tom, foolishly, believed he was writing for a slightly more sophisticated audience than the gaf ps3 monkey set -- and by "more sophisticated" i mean "capable of breathing and walking at the same time; has possibly tendered the idea of sex with another human being and, in extreme cases, may have performed the act as well; may have advanced into the 'can take nudges and jokes at their hobbies' expense' phase of post-adolescent life"

trolling or not i think you have a point

J-Rzez said:
My line of work is different from this, as in the right to know acts wouldn't allow such behavior, though "no comment" goes a long way. I can see it applicable in many retail situations, and even in this situation as it's not worth the time in which they can give their attention to more legitimate journalists.

What makes someone "legitimate?" Is it their experience (which he has plenty of), who they write for (he writes for some big names), or the quality of their writing (his is better than most)? Please tell me what makes someone "legitimate."

No matter what you do, breaking an appointment without notice is in poor form.

You really need an example after even his 10 "good" things article on this game? That alone seals it.

Those two articles were informative and entertaining. What else do you have?

Squash

Seems to be nothing more than some some one making a spectacle of himself. I don't really see the point of whining about it in public.

RSLAEV

If the guy isn't a good journalist then they shouldn't have granted him an interview in the first place. Cancelling on someone just because they criticized your project is a weaksauce move, and those of you that support them in this are the reason 99% of the coverage we get is nothing more than money-hat shill banter.

:lol @ this thread. Wow. Amazing.

Squash said:
Seems to be nothing more than some some one making a spectacle of himself. I don't really see the point of whining about it in public.
Your post history makes you an excellent authority on negative Sony related information.

pakkit

Banned
RSLAEV said:
If the guy isn't a good journalist then they shouldn't have granted him an interview in the first place. Cancelling on someone just because they criticized your project is a weaksauce move, and those of you that support them in this are the reason 99% of the coverage we get is nothing more than money-hat shill banter.
As long as *exclusive game* for *platform* gets a 9, NeoGAF is happy.

J-Rzez

dammitmattt said:
Those two articles were informative and entertaining. What else do you have?

:lol :lol :lol is how you'd do it right?

So, he's a joke journalist, in which no one takes him seriously, and it doesn't matter if he gets special information or not and can just gamefly games then make these articles? I mean, if that's all he's going to do, then why does he need that special treatment? If you can't find anything wrong with that 10 "good" things article, it's not worth carrying on this conversation, I canceled your interview.

Squash

TheKingsCrown said:
:lol @ this thread. Wow. Amazing.

Your post history makes you an excellent authority on negative Sony related information.

And your avatar makes you an excellent authority on negative Sony related information?

J-Rzez said:
:lol :lol :lol is how you'd do it right?

So, he's a joke journalist, in which no one takes him seriously, and it doesn't matter if he gets special information or not and can just gamefly games then make these articles? I mean, if that's all he's going to do, then why does he need that special treatment? If you can't find anything wrong with that 10 "good" things article, it's not worth carrying on this conversation, I canceled your interview.

Why would anyone want an interview with you?

Zeouterlimits said:
*claps* Some bit of sense.
Everyone has gone completely insane (both groups).

Nah one side is definitely wrong and the other is justified.

Flyguy

One side is being much more ridiculous and are trying to justify their ridiculosity by claiming both sides are being ridiculous.

andycapps

stuminus3 said:
So... is this whole thread worth reading? Looks pretty entertaining just from glancing at the last page or two.

Yes, without a doubt. It's a good primer for the E3 meltdowns that are coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom