• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PR = Bad PR: cancelling Infamous interview to be petty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Miburou said:
His Top 10 Stupid Things article is both funny and informative, and is more than evened out by the less funny but no less informative Top 10 Cool Things article. His overall view of the game is actually a positive one, but seems Sony's PR can't get past the title of one of those two articles, and apparently neither can some of you.

Are you serious? informative?

Guled

I don't know whats worse, Sony canceling an interview because they can't stand criticism, or ppl actually defending this behavior in this thread

Doubledex

Banned
Matthew Gallant said:
Sony PR has caught a case of the KaneLynchitits, cancelling an Infamous developer's scheduled interview with Tom Chick, apparently because of his Infamous coverage.

Tom wrote two articles about Infamous; the first being "Top Ten Stupid Things About Infamous", and the second "Top Ten Cool Things About Infamous". One of which is, of course, OVER THE LINE.

The skeeziest part is, they didn't tell him the interview was cancelled until after he showed up for it.

Who do these PR people think they are? Personally, I think they do this kind of stuff because they're lazy-- if they only R with the fluffy P, it's less work, right? Ironically, it just makes their jobs harder.

It's harder because now everyone knows that Infamous is not a good enough game to allow any sort of critical writing to go unpunished.
Sorry dude, but I give a damn if it was SONY, or Nintendo, or MS! If such a f+cker would write one of these shit-coverages about my game I would do the same.
F++k this f+cker

and by the way:
It's harder because now everyone knows that Infamous is not a good enough game to allow any sort of critical writing to go unpunished.
Your statement is bullshit. After a lot of 90 ratings we finally know:
InFamous = great
And after playing it I KNOW: InFamous = awesome

Interfectum

Guled said:
I don't know whats worse, Sony canceling an interview because they can't stand criticism, or ppl actually defending this behavior in this thread

I'd take option 3: people getting worked up over non-news.

syllogism

Who cares? Apparently Sony/inFAMOUS loyalists do.

There's very little doubt it's bad PR, but fairly inconsequential.

e: quoting this
Gravijah said:
ATTENTION PEOPLE WITH AVATARS RELATED TO UPCOMING/RECENTLY RELEASED GAMES, ESPECIALLY EXCLUSIVES: Don't ever expect anyone to take anything you say as anything other than biased fanboyism when it comes to the game featured in your avatar.

Gravijah

Loudninja said:
Are you serious? informative?

ATTENTION PEOPLE WITH AVATARS RELATED TO UPCOMING/RECENTLY RELEASED GAMES, ESPECIALLY EXCLUSIVES: Don't ever expect anyone to take anything you say as anything other than biased fanboyism when it comes to the game featured in your avatar.

HurricaneJesus said:
They should have just told him in advance. I read both his articles, and from what he wrote, the game sounds pretty good. Now the game is going to get this negative press, which is never good.
This is going to affect someone's buying decision? What are we expecting here, a sticker on the game at Best Buy stating "Sony PR = Bad, DO NOT BUY"? By that logic every damn game on any platform should have something similar.

Guled said:
Well, you might understand it better if you knew that Tom Chick is a war criminal-- he publicly said he thought Killzone 2 was not a good game.

syllogism

Matthew Gallant said:
Well, you might understand it better if you knew that Tom Chick is a war criminal-- he publicly said he thought Killzone 2 was not a good game.
So he is like worse than Eurogamer

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Winterblink said:
This is going to affect someone's buying decision? What are we expecting here, a sticker on the game at Best Buy stating "Sony PR = Bad, DO NOT BUY"? By that logic every damn game on any platform should have something similar.

The OP wants to stop people from buying the game. I guess he is going to cancel his pre-order.

Matthew Gallant said:
Sony PR has caught a case of the KaneLynchitits, cancelling an Infamous developer's scheduled interview with Tom Chick, apparently because of his Infamous coverage.

Tom wrote two articles about Infamous; the first being "Top Ten Stupid Things About Infamous", and the second "Top Ten Cool Things About Infamous". One of which is, of course, OVER THE LINE.

The skeeziest part is, they didn't tell him the interview was cancelled until after he showed up for it.

Who do these PR people think they are? Personally, I think they do this kind of stuff because they're lazy-- if they only R with the fluffy P, it's less work, right? Ironically, it just makes their jobs harder.

There is a fine line between critical writing and flaming a game,i am sure that can be done with just about every single game,yet you don't see it and i hate that because most of them are way to critical when the game is for PS3,is like PS3 games should be on a different standard to get a fair review.

I have see many critical articals fall into the flaming category,where spots are nit pick and when several games are bring into play to dismantle a game,killzone 2 is a great example of that.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Not really? Tom Chick isn't exactly the Roger Ebert of gaming and snubbing him isn't exactly going to bring down tidal waves of scorn and fury upon Sony. As for bad PR, what is worse?

- Sony tells idiot to stop wasting their time. Idiot whinges.
- Article: Top ten stupid things about Infamous

Yeah.

They havent said he couldn't review the game or asked him to pull the articles, they just decided they couldnt be bothered having him waste their time. Hell, perhaps even the dev he was supposed to be meeting with didnt feel like doing the interview. "Oh who is this? Oh the guy thats been trolling our game for a fortnight before release? Yes, excellent. Lets give him an exclusive interview!!"
Keep on spinning, broseph.

AniHawk

Tormentoso said:
There is a fine line between critical writing and flaming a game,i am sure that can be done with just about every single game,yet you don't see it and i hate that because most of them are way to critical when the game is for PS3,is like PS3 games should be on a different standard to get a fair review.

I have see many critical articals fall into the flaming category,where were spots are nit pick and even when several games are bring into play to dismantle a game,killzone 2 is a great example of that.

If anything, games aren't critiqued hard enough. We need to be setting aside true classics from "well it should be a good game for three to four years"

Matthew Gallant said:
Which is part of the reason why it's such bad PR.
For Sony though? Really, in a few days who's gonna care? People barely care now, and we're the only people who would care about something like this.

Bitch move sure, but it won't cost them anything in the long run.

Haunted

On the one hand, that is pretty unprofessional.

On the other hand, Tom Chick was being kind of a dick.

I hate both stupid PR people and shitty game journalists equally, though, so it's all good.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I can't say that i blame sony here.

My sentiments really just echo that of SecretBonusPoint's post on the first page.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Tom Chick's trolling articles of undulating liquid shit have resulted in him not getting to waste someone else's time and money with exclusive interview content? Surely not!

Pretty much.

Winterblink said:

What the hell are you talking about? Do you think all the bad press around the Kayne and Lynch debacle had any effect on its sales?

If this guy is such an idiot, then they never should have booked him for an interview in the first place. Apparently he bashed KZ2, so they should have known better if all they wanted was unrelenting praise.

fushi

CTLance said:
w1wfud.jpg
:lol

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
On one hand, that is pretty unprofessional.

On the other hand, Tom Chick was being kind of a dick.

I hate both stupid PR people and shitty game journalists equally, though, so it's all good.
Yeah. It's just the universe balancing itself out. Kinda like this thread actually...

AniHawk said:
If anything, games aren't critiqued hard enough. We need to be setting aside true classics from "well it should be a good game for three to four years"

Oh i am up for that if is done fairly,i have see some games get slammed by reviewers for having certain problems,yet those same problem in other games are completely ignore..

Slurmer

Banned
He knew he had an interview with them coming up, and then decided to publish an article dedicated to how stupid the game is? Sounds like a moron.

Both sides are at fault.

Slurmer said:
He knew he had an interview with them coming up, and then decided to publish an article dedicated to how stupid the game is? Sounds like a moron.
How moronic, to be honest about your thoughts on a game!

Slurmer said:

Both sides are at fault.

Agree why don't he wait for that,i guess that if you look at almost all games you can actually write and article like that,hell some games are so retarded in their story line that is not even funny,hell for how many games they have done this.? or is Infamous the first one.?

This thread is fantastic and a clear example why gaming journalism is the useless, impotent waste of time that many people rightfully dismiss it as today.

First you guys want hard hitting journalism and not glorified PR pieces explaining how fantastic the game is. Then once a journalist dishes it out, their hindquarters begin to get sore and now established writers are now considered to be a "professional troll."

I'm not sure why Tom or any other journalist has to handle any game with kid gloves and how immature it is for a somewhat large publicly traded corporation to just screw someone over because they wrote an article that did not amount to the written equivalent of fellatio. However, hey, it is a game you like so man oh man did Sony diss them haters! Take that!

Not that I really care about the future of gaming journalism but threads and fanboy clamorings like what I read in this thread are pretty much responsible for neutering it to the point where it just a PR mouthpiece, unless it is from a lesser known publisher. Then it is time to break out to an unfunny stand up comedy routine but I digress.

andycapps

Hey guys, I just checked CNN and guess what, they weren't covering this story. Believe it or not, they don't care. All you people getting worked up over a dick writer, pulling a dick move, and Sony pulling a dick move in return need to get over it. This happens in other industries all the time, get used to it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Matthew Gallant said:
How moronic, to be honest about your thoughts on a game!

Erm, you.. sorry Tom Chick was grasping for straws in both articles. He wrote them just to slam on inFamous, so the site would get more viewers, because "oooo inFamous is getting slammed, someone is not HALLELUYAH! about the game."

Exhibit A:
Matthe..errm.. Tom Chick said:
1) For a historical accounting of how long it takes the social order to fall apart, we need look no father than the 1987 documentary Escape from New York. When Manhattan was closed off into a maximum security prison after the crime rate had risen 400%, it took years for the social order to break down and rebuild itself under the aegis of a themed gang led by Isaac Hayes. However, Infamous is on an accelerated timeline. After a cataclysmic event, society falls apart and rebuilds around themed gangs within a few days. A massive junk skyscraper is erected almost instantaneously, which just goes to show how much you can get done without unions. Various supervillains with fiendish plots spring up within a week. Plagues and mind control toxins and government conspiracies and sidekick betrayals and sidekick redemptions all happen in the first fortnight. And the whole thing is wrapped up in three weeks. New Orleans should be so lucky.

Exhibit B:
Tom Chick said:
7) Lara Croft's pony tail was always pretty fascinating, but the floppy bike messenger bag slung over Cole McWrath's back is just stupid. Why is he wearing it the whole time? Now that he's a superhero, he's certainly not delivering documents any more. He doesn't have an inventory, so it's not like he needs it to carry ammo or healing potions. Is it there just to show off the dangling floppy bit technology used to render the reflective strips? I'd almost rather Sony sold ingame advertising on the back of Cull McGrath's jacket.
I mean.. REALLY?
Using Escape From New York as a measuring point of how long it takes for a society to fall apart, but without taking into account that it was a MAXIMUM SECURITY PRISON SO THERE WERE GUARDS TO KEEP ORDER, in contrary to inFamous, where the police got shitscared and pulled out ASAP.
And seriously, don't get me started about the whiny bitching about his backpack.

Slurmer

Banned
The Experiment said:
First you guys want hard hitting journalism and not glorified PR pieces explaining how fantastic the game is. Then once a journalist dishes it out, their hindquarters begin to get sore and now established writers are now considered to be a "professional troll."

"Top Ten Stupid Things About Infamous"

"hard hitting journalism"

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The Experiment said:
This thread is fantastic and a clear example why gaming journalism is the useless, impotent waste of time that many people rightfully dismiss it as today.

I'm not sure why Tom or any other journalist has to handle any game with kid gloves and how immature it is for a somewhat large publicly traded corporation to just screw someone over because they wrote an article that did not amount to the written equivalent of fellatio. However, hey, it is a game you like so man oh man did Sony diss them haters! Take that!

Not that I really care about the future of gaming journalism but threads and fanboy clamorings like what I read in this thread are pretty much responsible for neutering it to the point where it just a PR mouthpiece, unless it is from a lesser known publisher. Then it is time to break out to an unfunny stand up comedy routine but I digress.

Eurogamer.

7/10

nuff sed.

CorwinB

AniHawk said:

But... GTA4 has Oscar-level dialogs !

Gravijah

andycapps said:
Hey guys, I just checked CNN and guess what, they weren't covering this story. Believe it or not, they don't care. All you people getting worked up over a dick writer, pulling a dick move, and Sony pulling a dick move in return need to get over it. This happens in other industries all the time, get used to it.

Don't listen to this obvious troll, I just turned it to CNN and they are totally talking about this story... Holy shit they just brought Will.I.Am out and he's like a fucking hologram!

Loudninja

andycapps said:

Yeah ,have to agree with.

Alphahawk

This is a dick move plain and simple. I don't care about what the author may or may not of said to hurt Sony's feelings, it's still a dick move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom