• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Sony Prepares for Life After Game Consoles"- Bloomberg Businessweek

Gamezone

Gold Member
Even if everyone had fiber, how much impact would game streaming have in games like Call of Duty multiplayer? You have to combine online lag (which is crappy today) with the lag of streaming.

geordiemp

They mean in like 2050, right?

Cause this ain't happening anytime soon.

Agree.

People buy a Ps4 to have better image quality games and nice response times when playing.

Cloud based gaming for many genres such a shooters / fighters and action games does not sound appealing at all.

Game streaming sounds as exciting as Ouya.

Jburton

Banned
Where MS leads, others follow.

Seriously, hough this does make sense in the very long run, it won't truly be workable until everyone has very capable internet connections that offer both great download and upload speeds and we're still a long way from that being a reality.

Another stumbling block will the push to end net neutrality. That could also become a huge obstacle in any game streaming future.

MS leads in streaming games?

Yeah...except it isn't the future because most countries around the world don't have the infrastructure. Until blazing fast, uncapped internet is at like 95% coverage it won't take over.
Well, Elon Musk says that this is happening very soon.

I don't know if true... but that would be wonderful.

fritolay

If current/next gen console sales were falling due to other media and phone/tablets, then maybe. However console hardware is selling more than ever so the demand is there.

If anything, I think Sony needs to speed up their download speeds so people can buy digital and get content faster.

It's not as far out as 2050 either, more and more gamers are already buying games though downloading. The new gen of gamers are not as attached to their hard copy as we are.

We are talking about streaming games, not downloading them.

Beside even if more and more players are heading through digital downloading... there is just no way that's mean the physical games are dying or or on the way out because there are always those in the world with their own reasons ( bad internet \ collectors \ old fashion \ want to own the game and have the option to lend or or sell it ect ) who are always going for the physical copies.... so what is going to happen is giving the option to the customers to get their games digitally or physically, they won't take one option out and force us with the other........ unless they really hate money and sales.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's a large opportunity. It needs the right marketing support as well technical. If anything I think Sony should be careful not to be too conservative about it.

Yes, but they don't tend to make much of a profit on hardware sales, software is where the most money comes from.

They take the hardware out --> go fully streaming or digital--> the majority of the world don't depends on their internet connection to do so because it sucks --> software sales goes way way down --> the most stupid idea ever.

Keep the hardware which still sells a lot --> keep selling the games physically and digitally and give the option to the customers --> the hardware still sells and make some profits also the software --> they stay in business and make money --> gamers can still buy games the way they wish and play --> everyone wins.

Gaming isn't as same as movies / music, sure they must realize that.

Not sure this is going to work out for them. The infrastructure isn't there yet. The server hardware/software isn't there yet. Customers aren't there yet.

And it may never be but they need to right there at the forefront of it so that they aren't chasing after the next big after it's already taken off.

Details about Sony's 2015 Android TVs leak

The sources say that the TVs will feature PlayStation Now (at least in the US), allowing Sony TV owners to enjoy PlayStation games without the actual console. You just need to connect a PlayStation controller to the TV via bluetooth. PlayStation Now streams PS2 and PS3 games, but no PS4 games yet. It is also said to be linked to Google Games, but it is unclear how it works.

Additionally, Sony’s Android TVs will support PS4 Remote Play, allowing you to stream games from you living room PlayStation 4 into the bedroom TV over your WiFi network.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1417780131

Yep, their strategy is quite clear.

Jonm1010

Banned
So with the rise of 4k tvs, what is the realistic bandwith needed to actually stream a 4k resolution game and have a solid framerate?

I think answering that question is kind of the catalyst to determining exactly how far into the future we are talking about. After all, fiber Internet isnt even a thought in most of the country thanks to the corrupt oligarchic cable companies. And I'm assuming fiber is a must?

M3d10n

Ultra-fast unlimited internet that's available everywhere has been just around the corner for how many years already (according to analysts)? It's funny because things seem to be moving the other way around, with ISPs and mobile operators tightening their caps and adding them where there were none.

nampad

Streaming tech and the infrastructure will get better and when we look at other forms of media, it seems inevitable that this will happen to gaming as well. Sony would be stupid not to prepare in some way for that future before being caught off guard again.
The bulk of the money was made with royalties anyway so missing the hardware business isn't that bad.

That's not to say that this will happen soon. Many of the core gamers won't accept streaming in the near future because of the input lag and image quality issues and these early adopters can be quite important. But technology evolves quickly. There are many things right now I couldn't have imagined as possible 10 years ago.
Sony could also go both ways for a short time, like streaming PS5 games for the less tech savvy and giving people a PS5 home console that care about image quality and input lag.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So with the rise of 4k tvs, what is the realistic bandwith needed to actually stream a 4k resolution game and have a solid framerate?

I think answering that question is kind of the catalyst to determining exactly how far into the future we are talking about. After all, fiber Internet isnt even a thought in most of the country thanks to the corrupt oligarchic cable companies. And I'm assuming fiber is a must?

I think it's more realistic that you'd have a a tonne of rendering capacity on the cloud side downsampling from a higher res like 4K before streaming out at 1080p, say. We don't necessarily have to be able to stream at 4K to experience some of the benefit of that resolution.

But anyway, this (i.e. high end games) is where I think Sony should be going. Classics is nice and all, but the promise of the cloud is to be able to do things beyond the local machine. Even if this isn't something they should do wholesale in the near future, I think it would be really interesting if they did even just one show-case premium cloud-streamed game that went well beyond PS4's capabilities. A proof of concept for what the future could be like.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
If anything the PS4 proves otherwise that game consoles are dead.

Even Sony doesn't know why it was selling so well.

People are obviously still willing to buy consoles, so I think this is a long way off.

Not sure this is going to work out for them. The infrastructure isn't there yet. The server hardware/software isn't there yet. Customers aren't there yet.

Consoles aren't going anywhere yet. They're preparing for what could come in 10-15 years time.

Gamezone

Gold Member
If anything the PS4 proves otherwise that game consoles are dead.

Even Sony doesn't know why it was selling so well.

People are obviously still willing to buy consoles, so I think this is a long way off.

They sell well because of the Xbox One launch mess.

Top Bottom