• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony prevents JRPG Omega Labyrinth Z from publication on PS4 and Vita in the West

xenoriddley

I'm super disappointed at this announcement. I'm hoping that maybe they can release it on Steam or maybe as a direct PC download if their able to port it to a PC platform.

I'm starting to worry that the people in charge of SCEA actually have a certain political leaning.
Well they did make Neil Druckmann head of Naughty Do, and he well....
https://twinfinite.net/2016/05/uncharted-4s-director-had-to-kick-out-a-sexist-playtester-spoilers/
"Director Neil Druckmann sat down with Glixel (the new gaming website for Rolling Stone) and talked about how the studio was influenced by Anita Sarkeesian’s videos."
That's all I'm going to say....

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
https://twinfinite.net/2016/05/uncharted-4s-director-had-to-kick-out-a-sexist-playtester-spoilers/
"Director Neil Druckmann sat down with Glixel (the new gaming website for Rolling Stone) and talked about how the studio was influenced by Anita Sarkeesian’s videos."

Niel Druckmann is... probably the reason why I haven't been enjoying the latest Naughty Dog games. Something has changed the past few years and I have a feeling it is mostly on him - but I could be completely tin-foil-hat crazy right now.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm not looking forward to TLOU part 2.

I am looking forward to it only if it has the Multiplayer. That was by far my favorite part of the original game and would love to see a larger focus on it, using the improved gameplay systems and animations that should be in the sequel.

I wasn't a fan of the story for the original and I do not see anything in this that will improve or change that. If anything, the story shown thus far looks to be even worse.

B_Signal

I know, really it should be a story of how Ellie wants to magic her boobs bigger!

edit: "You know Ellie, you really are the breast of us"
Script's done @Naughtydog, DM me for my Paypal yeah?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Damn RIP ND, I can say I've definitely noticed a shift in mood with the characters, what actually happened to amy henning, was that ever talked about.

Last edited:

nowhat

Damn RIP ND, what actually happened to amy henning, was that ever talked about.
I think it'll be at least a few years before we know the full story (if even then), but the rumour is UC4 was going a bit off rails *SLIGHT UNCHARTED 4 SPOILERS* Sam was supposed to be the long-lost brother who turns a villain (gee, that's entirely unheard of) and there was going to be a supernatural element at the end (I'm also glad that didn't happen). And generally the project was just not progressing well, so Naughty Dog did a "thank you for your service" and off to Visceral she went.

I think the interesting bit in that story is Hennig's work with Visceral. While I know it's popular to shit on EA (and for good reason), and while again it'll take probably years to get the full story out, what has been dug from the ashes of Visceral so far paints a picture of Hennig trying to make a Naughty Dog game, without the Naughty Dog personnel or Naughty Dog engine. Phrased that way, I don't think it's a surprise the game was never completed.

(but sure, fuck EA, just because, I'm down for that)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think it'll be at least a few years before we know the full story (if even then), but the rumour is UC4 was going a bit off rails *SLIGHT UNCHARTED 4 SPOILERS* Sam was supposed to be the long-lost brother who turns a villain (gee, that's entirely unheard of) and there was going to be a supernatural element at the end (I'm also glad that didn't happen). And generally the project was just not progressing well, so Naughty Dog did a "thank you for your service" and off to Visceral she went.

I think the interesting bit in that story is Hennig's work with Visceral. While I know it's popular to shit on EA (and for good reason), and while again it'll take probably years to get the full story out, what has been dug from the ashes of Visceral so far paints a picture of Hennig trying to make a Naughty Dog game, without the Naughty Dog personnel or Naughty Dog engine. Phrased that way, I don't think it's a surprise the game was never completed.

(but sure, fuck EA, just because, I'm down for that)

Eh, I dunno. I would have loved to have some sort of supernatural element or some more fantastical parts. UC4 was the most boring for me to play, story-wise and level design wise.

jadedm17

"For the players" and free speech don't mean garbage like School Shooter simulator aren't welcome, so WTF at people thinking we don't need some freaking lines.

It’s fair to assume that a significant amount of the video game industry (including most of the press that covers it) tends to at least lean to the left. That said, I think that Sony in these cases is just trying to head off controversy by cutting these games off at the knees instead of letting consumers decide for themselves.

They’re not worth the social media anger and the finger-pointing stories that would come from places like Polygon and Kotaku.

This title has overt sexuality in it. The screens shared in the localization publisher’s post indicate this.

It's also just a garbage "game" with ridiculous lessons like ruining a book a girl is reading as a conversation starter. Nintendo is very PG and I respect Sony and MS being PG13; If you want AO (adults only) then PC sounds your target.

I'm unfamiliar with this game but based on those screens I'll assume it's adult heavy and game light: I'm fine this not being on Playstation.

nowhat

Eh, I dunno. I would have loved to have some sort of supernatural element or some more fantastical parts. UC4 was the most boring for me to play, story-wise and level design wise.
I can see where you are coming from, partially - UC4 certainly isn't as bombastic as the previous iterations. For me, it worked*), but I can totally understand why one would feel otherwise.

I have to disagree with the level design though. Previous Uncharteds have pretty much been one shooting gallery, then the next shooting gallery. UC4 has much more open areas (and the grappling hook! such an obvious addition, why they didn't include it before), giving the player more options on how to solve an encounter. Even falling back to stealth is a viable alternative (although, Uncharted, I'm guessing not many do that).

*) I never had a PS3, so while waiting for UC4 that was going to be so amazing according to the hype, I got the remastered trilogy. And I played it pretty much back-to-back. And having done that - I was kind of over the setpieces before I reached the end of UC2. Playing the cruise liner bit in UC3 (which is to me the greatest setpiece in the entire franchise) left me feeling just numb. The setpiece is great, phenomenal even. But by then it just lacked any kind of tension. "Here's a setpiece, it has many terrors within it. But Drake will be saved, because we still have scenes to go, so no worries!". Which is exactly what happened. So on a personal level, I appreciated the change in tone, I don't think I would have liked to see Drake in another Hollywood blockbuster.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you nerds talking about Uncharted here? It's a shame the game isn't coming for whatever reason I enjoy these types of games even with the dumb little minigames. But I'll live so eh.

WaterAstro

Whereas Super Seducer was actually helpful advice and generally teaching to approach women with honesty and respect, this is borderline hentai, so I'm not so onboard with fighting this decision.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So don't buy it? Every game has is own niche/audience. At the end of the day it is just a harmless product for most of us, meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

nowhat

Super Seducer was actually helpful advice and generally teaching to approach women with honesty and respect
You know, this is the internet. It's hard to tell sarcasm from a bunch of bytes delivered to you from random places around the world, so I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic.

If you're not... You may try the pickup methods in the game, go on ahead. I think you'll get far better responses from women by just being yourself, unless you're into Shutterstock models (and in which case, you'll probably have to pay them without getting what you want in return).

I'd prefer for Sony's platform to be more of an open one, but I guess they disagree. Hopefully PQube can get a translated version out on Steam for those interested.

JordanN

Banned
I'd prefer for Sony's platform to be more of an open one, but I guess they disagree. Hopefully PQube can get a translated version out on Steam for those interested.
Maybe it's time to start learning Japanese*.

Give it a few more years and soon every Japanese game will be considered "offensive".

I hope I'm being sarcastic.

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Maybe it's time to start learning Japanese*.

Give it a few more years and soon every Japanese game will be considered "offensive".

I hope I'm being sarcastic.
"Japanese game development needs to be more progressive, by adding more western-centric things!"

Battlechili

Banned
I'm fine this not being on Playstation.
It's on PlayStation, just only in Japan.
It's a Mystery Dungeon game. Think Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but with less Pokemon and more boobs
I'm super disappointed at this announcement. I'm hoping that maybe they can release it on Steam or maybe as a direct PC download if their able to port it to a PC platform.
Make sure to show your support for a PC release to Pqube! Every bit helps.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

You know, this is the internet. It's hard to tell sarcasm from a bunch of bytes delivered to you from random places around the world, so I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic.

If you're not... You may try the pickup methods in the game, go on ahead. I think you'll get far better responses from women by just being yourself, unless you're into Shutterstock models (and in which case, you'll probably have to pay them without getting what you want in return).
I finished the game, and a lot of the advice in the game I approve of. If being yourself is being an awkward introvert nerd starting a topic of anime or saying "I like your boobs", then Super Seducer is absolutely good for these people.

If you think honestly and respect isn't what you should be doing when approaching a women, then I have no idea what else to tell you.

xenoriddley

It's on PlayStation, just only in Japan.
It's a Mystery Dungeon game. Think Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but with less Pokemon and more boobsMake sure to show your support for a PC release to Pqube! Every bit helps.
Trust me, if it comes out on PC, I'll most likely end up buying it not only for myself, but as gifts for a bunch of my friends. They may not care for that kind of game, but at least it'll show support for something like this. Hell, I may even gift it out to my youtube audience as well!

nowhat

I finished the game, and a lot of the advice in the game I approve of. If being yourself is being an awkward introvert nerd starting a topic of anime or saying "I like your boobs", then Super Seducer is absolutely good for these people.

If you think honestly and respect isn't what you should be doing when approaching a women, then I have no idea what else to tell you.
Uhh. I think "don't be a dork" is given when interacting with people (IRL that is, I'll nerd it out online, it's like totally different - besides, I'm not that into anime!). Also honesty (acting like you're being someone else than you are isn't that honest now is it?) and respect I'm for - again, I think that should be given in any human encounter, but if you need a reminder, I guess the game did good for you.

Have you tried the "teachings" of the game in public? On somebody else than a paid stock model? Out of curiosity, how did it work out for you?

WaterAstro

Uhh. I think "don't be a dork" is given when interacting with people (IRL that is, I'll nerd it out online, it's like totally different - besides, I'm not that into anime!). Also honesty (acting like you're being someone else than you are isn't that honest now is it?) and respect I'm for - again, I think that should be given in any human encounter, but if you need a reminder, I guess the game did good for you.

Have you tried the "teachings" of the game in public? On somebody else than a paid stock model? Out of curiosity, how did it work out for you?
This game isn't for me. I'm already good without it. I just know that people could use the advice.

I'm not sure if you played it, but you'll see there's a lot more good than there is sketchy, and anything to help men be confident in the right way is better both men and women.

Btw, there were three women in the game, two actors, and one of them was his own girlfriend. The girls on the bed are just whatever.

nowhat

I'm not sure if you played it, but you'll see there's a lot more good than there is sketchy, and anything to help men be confident in the right way is better both men and women.
Admittedly I haven't played it. I did, however, Youtube the hell out of it (what can I say, I love camp) and I'm pretty certain I've seen most the game has on offer. It's not like we're talking about a 100+ hour RPG.

Self-confidence, no matter your gender, is essential not only when trying to form relationships, but also maintaining them. And life in general. I personally don't think any game can give you that; if anything, relying on such advice seems to be throwing the poor chap in at the deep end when the game no longer tells you what to do. If the game really is helpful for some, then more power to them. But again, I'd like to see the "teachings" applied in practice. My popcorn is ready, someone make a Youtube series out of it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Admittedly I haven't played it. I did, however, Youtube the hell out of it (what can I say, I love camp) and I'm pretty certain I've seen most the game has on offer. It's not like we're talking about a 100+ hour RPG.

Self-confidence, no matter your gender, is essential not only when trying to form relationships, but also maintaining them. And life in general. I personally don't think any game can give you that; if anything, relying on such advice seems to be throwing the poor chap in at the deep end when the game no longer tells you what to do. If the game really is helpful for some, then more power to them. But again, I'd like to see the "teachings" applied in practice. My popcorn is ready, someone make a Youtube series out of it.

The game definitely can have good advice if you want to gleam such from it, but a lot of it is hokey, over the top fails that are purposefully cringey/funny. The game is very much not taking itself seriously (at least that is what I got from it when I played it). It all boils down to "be respectful and don't be a completely creepy perv."

I think interpreting slogans literally is as absurd as confusing a closed platform with an open one.

Whilst disappointing, it's clear why Sony would make this decision about this game. Perhaps if its profile were that much higher, Sony would have to think harder about it, but it's not. I personally don't agree with the decision on principle, but businesses don't run exclusively on principles.

nowhat

I personally don't agree with the decision on principle, but businesses don't run exclusively on principles.
^ this guy gets it.

As a matter of fact, I'd go further and say businesses don't run on principles, period. Corporations may be people (depending on your jurisdiction), but they sure as hell ain't your friends.

TannerDemoz

All these comments and not a single one mentioning the reason behind the ban. Game is set in a school setting, some characters are in their 'first year' and clutch teddy bears, but devs reckon it's cool to undress them. Good riddance, I say. There's a line, isn't there? This isn't just a case of censoring stuff that 'might be offensive'

kunonabi

I think interpreting slogans literally is as absurd as confusing a closed platform with an open one.

Whilst disappointing, it's clear why Sony would make this decision about this game. Perhaps if its profile were that much higher, Sony would have to think harder about it, but it's not. I personally don't agree with the decision on principle, but businesses don't run exclusively on principles.

Of course the slogan was always nonsense but this is just a great example to rob them for. The thing is this wasn't an obvious thing to see coming. The game isnt any worse than than similar titles that have come and gone that haven't damaged Sony's reputation in any way. This is a pretty big sign that something has changed with the western branches approach. If this was an actual Sony title that they chose not to bring over that is one thing but pcube spent money getting the game rated and ready for distribution and now they're out those fees plus what they spent to translate it. These smaller publishers don't have that kind of money to throw around. If Sony is going to throw third parties under the bus like this just to appease a bunch of self-righteous asshats on Twitter then I see little reason to be positive in regards to their direction for the future. It's their platform to do what they want with but consumers can close their wallets just as easily. Probably wont matter at all with this game but who knows what happens down the line.

Dunki

All these comments and not a single one mentioning the reason behind the ban. Game is set in a school setting, some characters are in their 'first year' and clutch teddy bears, but devs reckon it's cool to undress them. Good riddance, I say. There's a line, isn't there? This isn't just a case of censoring stuff that 'might be offensive'
No there is not since it is all fictional. could kill children in Fallout 2. I have read books in the 5th grade during language class about the love between a 13 year old boy and a 40+ year old women who worked in a concentration camp. It is all fictional no one gets harmed. no one will suddenly molest a schoogirl etc. Also the ages, and school grades have been changed to make it more western friendly. Everyone is over 18 now as well.

Last edited:

TannerDemoz

No there is not since it is all fictional. could kill children in Fallout 2. I have read books in the 5th grade during language class about the love between a 13 year old boy and a 40+ year old women who worked in a concentration camp. It is all fictional no one gets harmed. no one will suddenly molest a schoogirl etc. Also the ages, and school grades have been changed to make it more western friendly. Everyone is over 18 now as well.

So you think a game where you undress children is reasonable content?

Dunki

Again they are 18 in this version. They are in a higher grade and while I do not want to play it, fictional content needs to be able to do anything. What you find reasonable and what I find reasonable will differ from person to person. So I can not decide what is reasonable and what is not.

Furthermore I believe which also is shown in studies that if people have fictional content like this and who are pedophile will less likely result in real sexual crimes. You never chose to be pedophile it is a mental illness/disorder mostly resulting from events in your past like rape etc. The important part is that they do not act on their feelings and for this there should be FICTIONAL media. It does no hurt anyone. And if it helps who honestly cares?

B_Signal

I don't have a problem with titilation in games, gaming should be big enough to cater for everyone (to a point), but that's done using niche titles, not making everything completely inoffensive

That said, for decades now we've had Japanese games not coming over, having content cut, or having art and ages changed, this weird rallying around like you're being victimised is bullshit. I don't know if it's a reaction against some perceived other side, or if it's just that you've been spoilt by the looser markets on PC and phones. Either way you know why this has got Sony nervous, for the same reason no one really expected it to come over in the first place. A quick google took me to The Sun (a right-wing newspaper in the UK) and the BBC talking about how the game had been refused classification (and so couldn't be sold over here) because it "promotes the sexualisation of children". Of fucking course Sony are going to pass on the game

B_Signal

IT had an actual lil girl have an orgy and nobody gave King any shit.
actually they did, and I even heard it brought up when the new film came out. Plus the whole point of It is how shit the kids have it, which is not the plot of Omega Labrynth. You must be able to see a difference, so I'm not sure why you're trying to whatabout with it

nowhat

IT had an actual lil girl have an orgy and nobody gave King any shit.
It also was a book, one can get away with all sorts of depravity in written form. Yet in both the TV adaptation (which as a side note has aged horribly - Tim Curry still rocks, but otherwise urgh) and the recent movie that scene is absent. Wonder why?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
actually they did, and I even heard it brought up when the new film came out. Plus the whole point of It is how shit the kids have it, which is not the plot of Omega Labrynth. You must be able to see a difference, so I'm not sure why you're trying to whatabout with it
King just does weird shit in most of his books but he gets a pass. The difference here is that they are asian cartoons vs "classic literature" also none of the FICTIONAL characters in the GAME happen to be as young as the girl that just said fuck it sewer orgy. IT was never taken down for instance and is available just about everywhere but oh god don't release the anime tiddie game!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It also was a book, one can get away with all sorts of depravity in written form. Yet in both the TV adaptation (which as a side note has aged horribly - Tim Curry still rocks, but otherwise urgh) and the recent movie that scene is absent. Wonder why?
Alot of king stuff is taken out from other movies so that non novel readers never know how he prob wrote this while on some drug or something lol also ratings.

B_Signal

King just does weird shit in most of his books but he gets a pass. The difference here is that they are asian cartoons vs "classic literature" also none of the FICTIONAL characters in the GAME happen to be as young as the girl that just said fuck it sewer orgy. IT was never taken down for instance and is available just about everywhere but oh god don't release the anime tiddie game!

I stand by what I said in my earlier post, no one is banning anime boobs, books are held to a different standard to images, and games, I'd have thought for obvious reasons but apparently not. The game features what was described as the sexualisation of children by the VSC. Playing put-upon because you don't get to rub some cartoon children

The funny thing is, I'm not even judging, I'm not casting aspersions because someone wants to play this, it's the disingenuousness of the posts that annoys me

Battlechili

Banned
I'm not sure if reasonable is the right word.
I have great issue with the idea of limiting artistic expression, even when artistic expression gets to be icky. Mostly for reasons that are better described by this comic author than I:
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/12/why-defend-freedom-of-icky-speech.html?m=1

I feel as if cases like this are allowable in the sense that it's fiction and fiction doesn't necessarily condone or encourage such in a real world environment, nor does it imply a real world interest in such things. Or, to put things more plainly, I don't believe it carries the harm that such in a real world environment would have and thus shouldn't be disallowed. That's not to say that I don't understand why companies like Sony would take issue with this sort of game. I just disagree with their overall decision.

Last edited:

TannerDemoz

I'm not sure if reasonable is the right word.
I have great issue with the idea of limiting artistic expression, even when artistic expression gets to be icky. Mostly for reasons that are better described by this comic author than I:
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/12/why-defend-freedom-of-icky-speech.html?m=1

I feel as if cases like this are allowable in the sense that it's fiction and fiction doesn't necessarily condone or encourage such in a real world environment, nor does it imply a real world interest in such things. Or, to put things more plainly, I don't believe it carries the harm that such in a real world environment would have and thus shouldn't be disallowed. That's not to say that I don't understand why companies like Sony would take issue with this sort of game. I just disagree with their overall decision.

It's a difficult issue, but as a publisher they're accountable for the content on their platforms and I guess given how much video games are in the public eye now companies have to be extra careful. IMO, and in this instance in particular, there is no reason for the content in this game to be portrayed in the way that it is. They could have gotten around this by losing the school girl aesthetic IMO. I'd also challenge the creative decision of going down that route in the first place – is the Dev trying to attract a certain audience of gamers here? But, I'm also aware that the way I'm talking now could be perceived as challenging creative freedom, and creativity/expression shouldn't be restricted. Ultimately, I think in this instance, Sony is just trying to protect its image – and who can blame it given some of the subject matter in the game.

Thanks for the link, too. That was a great read and I can see where he's coming at. Seems to be the same opinion expressed a lot of places – you can't be for freedom of speech but against it when it's stuff you don't like.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I stand by what I said in my earlier post, no one is banning anime boobs, books are held to a different standard to images, and games, I'd have thought for obvious reasons but apparently not. The game features what was described as the sexualisation of children by the VSC. Playing put-upon because you don't get to rub some cartoon children

The funny thing is, I'm not even judging, I'm not casting aspersions because someone wants to play this, it's the disingenuousness of the posts that annoys me
You can molest a pokemon and fire emblem people and mate with your cousin but rubbing "children" makes...no wait did I miss something? I saw a few trailers before and it was all generic anime girls that looked nothing like children. I was going off that and thinking you were saying obvious non children were kids in your eyes. If I assumed wrong then sorry and disregard.

Top Bottom