• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony promises VR headsets, talks about Ps3's 3D.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sony London Studio chief talks 3D lessons, promises VR headsets.

Engadget said:
Haven't settled in to 3D PS3 gaming just yet? Too bad because Sony's ready to leapfrog that industry buzzword with another once-vaunted, immersive tech of yore -- virtual reality. Announced ahead of Sony London Studio chief Mick Hocking's Develop conference "3D post-mortem speech," comes word the Japanese electronics giant is underway with R&D testing for a head mounted display. Shown off at CES earlier this year, the unit incorporates twin-OLED screens that put you closer to the game, fried eyeballs and all. If any of this sounds familiar, that's because it's all very 1995. Still, Hocking seems pretty optimistic about the company's lessons learned dipping its toes into three-dimensional waters, and has even created a so-called "3D 10 Commandments" to ensure quality product output. Hit the source below for the UK division head's full 3D musings.

Via Engadget.
Full Interview.

Sony will do anything to sell some mother fuckin' hardware.

Can I just get a PS4 running Uncharted 4 and Bungie's next IP?? I don't need a Nintendo Virtual Boy 2.0.

I loves me some 3D, but they really need to figure out a method for relating discreet tactile feedback of varying amounts.

I.E. We need those stupid VR gloves.

okenny

Banned
Next Gen PS4 is shaping up to be a monument to Ken Kutaragi's legacy :)

• 16 Core Cell Processor
  • GTX 580 Triple-SLI
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Kinect Depth Sensor
  • Six Axis + touch panel + back touch pad + breaks apart to form a move and navigator (alternate voltron form) controller
  • VR Helmet
  • 10 USB 3.0 port
  • 20 Thunderbolt Ports
  • Cake maker

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
okenny said:

• 16 Core Cell Processor
  • GTX 580 Triple-SLI
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Kinect Depth Sensor
  • Six Axis + touch panel + back touch pad + breaks apart to form a move and navigator (alternate voltron form) controller
  • VR Helmet
  • 10 USB 3.0 port
  • 20 Thunderbolt Ports
  • Cake maker

Do want.

/Puppyeyes.jpg

D-Pad

Virtual boobs. One girl on each side. Watch whichever one you want.

Just need to find a way to feel polygons now.

Thanks to my time machine, I'm already here gais!

YYV3RqGZQe92gyz9ubNDrZfdo1_400.jpg

mutsu

okenny said:

• 16 Core Cell Processor
  • GTX 580 Triple-SLI
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Kinect Depth Sensor
  • VR Helmet
  • 10 USB 3.0 port
  • 20 Thunderbolt Ports
  • Cake maker

You forgot the BBQ sizzle!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think there's a difference between promising something and saying you're tinkering with something in a lab :p

Anyway, their headsets need to be more like the one they showed at CES a couple of years back and less like the one they showed last year. From a form factor POV anyway.

Mick Hocking isn't Sony London. He's a group studio director at Sony's North West Studios group (comprising of Studio Liverpool, Evolution Studios and BigBig).

Slime

Banned
gofreak said:
I think there's a difference between promising something and saying you're tinkering with something in a lab :p

True. "Sony threatening to revive VR" would probably be a more accurate title.

Enk

makes good threads.
vectorman06 said:
You guys actually want his thing? ;d

Considering the technology we have now compared to what we had during the Virtual Boy era, I really wouldn't mind them making one as long as they do it right.

BKK

Galvanise_ said:
Mick Hocking isn't Sony London. He's a group studio director at Sony's North West Studios group (comprising of Studio Liverpool, Evolution Studios and BigBig).

If you read the article;

Develop said:
Today Hocking is busier than ever with an increasingly senior position at Sony Computer Entertainment. He’s now managing Sony London Studios as well as the renowned North West division

BKK said:
If you read the article;

Ahh, its a new development.

One I do not like. He's a great manager from what I hear, but I'd much rather him increase the productivity of Studio Liverpool before being given London to manage too. Studio London is an entirely different beast. I'd much rather him solely manage the North West Group while giving someone else Studio London, Studio Cambridge and Media Molecule to oversee.

Izayoi

Banned
Virtual reality is awesome, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I would definitely like to get some better hardware to go along with it. PS3 (and 360) are way outdated at this point. It's time for a new generation, guys.

Valnen

VR would be a great way for them to differentiate themselves from everything else. It'd be amazing for first person games. An open world RPG would be godlike.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Anyway, I'd just like to say that VR glasses may just work if they have a form factor and weight comparable to current 3D glasses.

herod

I suppose the angle here is that a pair of shutterglasses won't seem quite as retarded next to a VR helmet. I'm still not interested in glasses 3D no matter how much Sony try to destigmatise it.

3d googles with viewing angle camera would be superb and very achievable.
'move' camera tracks your eyeline, display renders accordingly.

BOOM

Huggy

In combination with the Move it would be cool, head and arm tracking.
Would be great to finally be able to punch in those keycodes in Trespasser.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Huggy said:
In combination with the Move it would be cool, head and arm tracking.
Would be great to finally be able to punch in those keycodes in Trespasser.

Actually, now that I think about it, head tracking in a game like GT without needing to peek at the screen out of the corner of my eyes would be really awesome. And in an FPS, you'd be able to look around completely independently of your movement. That would be fucking awesome if implemented right.

BKK

Here's what he actually had to say;

Develop said:
Clearly 3D is evolving rapidly. Are there any new technologies that Sony is interested in?

We've also got a new head mounted display that we showed at CES, that can produce really great quality 3D and a very immersive experience for games. The head-mounted display has twin-OLED screens; very high quality.

At the moment it’s just a head-mounted display; the head isn’t being tracked – but that’s something we’re doing R&D on. I have to say, what we’ve done in the R&D projects has just been fantastic.

We’re working with a couple of games at Sony that are experimenting with virtual reality type experiences.

Are you saying virtual reality is coming back?

Yeah it could be, it certainly seems possible, and these head-mounted displays incorporate 3D tech. It’s very, very cool. And obviously it’s a fantastic way to experience 3D because both images are being directly fed into each eye.

Basically

uhXPz.jpg

gdDLV.jpg

+

MlGj5.png

3D VR with Move could be incredibly immersive. PS3 might be bit underpowered though, maybe it would make more sense to save it for PS4

Valnen

bobbytkc said:
Actually, now that I think about it, head tracking in a game like GT without needing to peek at the screen out of the corner of my eyes would be really awesome. And in an FPS, you'd be able to look around completely independently of your movement. That would be fucking awesome if implemented right.
Oh god that would be so amazing in an open world game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Let's not forget this stuff ain't wireless (yet)...

Would be pretty cool tho. Especially in combination with body tracking / Move. You could look down at your virtual body parts moving accordingly to your real movements, or at the sword/gun you are holding in your hand (via Move).

Anyways, not gonna happen for a good while me thinks.

Top Bottom