• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinfash said:
Pwpor.gif
Well, I'm having nightmares.

FUN FUN FUN FUN

G.O.O.

Corto said:
Taking credit and gloating of simple thievery? That would damage its Robin Hood of the digital era self-assumed image. Being Anonymous and a group of faceless people though gives them the advantage of just stating that perhaps some subsidiary group could have done it. But as their goals have no "merit" for the original cause they automatically are denounced as a lateral group. Convenient.
They aren't professionnal hackers, and probably not stupid enough to launch an attack they don't want to be associated with right after DDOSing websites from the same corporation they're at war with.

Mr_Zombie

Dead Man said:
Did you read my post?
Yes, I read it. I also know how gaming blogs write news and how gamers can overreact when a company "lie" to them. Few people would remember about the "we're hoping" and "we're sorry" part, many would take Sony's words as a promise and then beside the "why PSN is still down" rage there would also be "Sony lied to us!!" rage.

Not to mention, what would Sony accomplish by that? I'm sure that the moment they know (more or less) when PSN will be up they will let us know.

Alx

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
That's ridiculous. They are losing much more money having PSN down than they could possibly lose to piracy. In addition to the money they lose off PSN sales and dealing with disastisfied customers, they likely are having to pay penalties to every partner they have who relies on their network. Do you think Netflix is ok with Sony shuttering PSN? It's costing them a significant ammount of money.

By the way, do we have an order of magnitude of the amount of money they lose with each day passing ? Some people mention "millions", but I'm not sure PSN sales are so high on a daily basis, are they ? Same thing for digital content like movies...
Honest question by the way, but I had in mind that the PSN market (or any similar market) would amount to millions per year, so it would scale down to "only" a few dozen thousands a day.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Carl said:

Hopefully Sony will listen a little closer to developers when they act like they're doing now. Imagine a developer like Activision or EA being told "We regret that this will take longer than expected" and not hearing anything but "We haven't got anything else to update you on" every 24 hours. They're losing sales every single hour and they blame Sony.

BeeDog

What exactly does "time intensive" mean (from the PS Blog post)? I've never heard that before; does it mean it'll take longer than anticipated, or that the severity is so high they're forced to act fast?

McNum

BeeDog said:
What exactly does "time intensive" mean (from the PS Blog post)? I've never heard that before; does it mean it'll take longer than anticipated, or that the severity is so high they're forced to act fast?
Generally "time intensive" means that it means it will take long.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Alx said:
By the way, do we have an order of magnitude of the amount of money they lose with each day passing ? Some people mention "millions", but I'm not sure PSN sales are so high on a daily basis, are they ? Same thing for digital content like movies...
Honest question by the way, but I had in mind that the PSN market (or any similar market) would amount to millions per year, so it would scale down to "only" a few dozen thousands a day.
They have also shut down Qriocity, as well as PSN. I have no idea how many people use Qriocity (I sure never did), but it has to be some revenue too.

BeeDog said:
What exactly does "time intensive" mean?

Wow I envy you for not knowing the meaning of that word, you must have a stress free profession/life.

Time intensive basically means that something that takes a lot of time to do (complete) no matter which way you slice it, or how much manpower, talent you put behind it. Even if you can do it efficiently it will still require some time, due to the scale of the project.

I'm not much of a techie guy to give you an example in this (Worldwide Network) scenario.

But a good example would be rendering a 2 hour long CG movie. Let's say you are not Pixar and don't have the render farms, the technology to do fast rendering, basically rendering an hour long CG animation would be a very "time intensive" process...especially with small home computer equipment.

BeeDog

EricHasNoPull said:
Wow I envy you for not knowing the meaning of that word, you must have a stress free profession/life.

Time intensive basically means that something that takes a lot of time to do (complete) no matter which way you slice it, or how much manpower, talent you put behind it. Even if you can do it efficiently it will still require some time, due to the scale of the project.

I'm not much of a techie guy to give you an example in this (Worldwide Network) scenario.

But a good example would be rendering a 2 hour long CG movie. Let's say you are not Pixar and don't have the render farms, the technology to do fast rendering, basically rendering an hour long CG animation would be a very "time intensive" process...especially with small home computer equipment.

English is not my native language, so I don't know how you arrived to that conclusion just because I didn't know the meaning of that particular phrase. And no, my life's not stress-free.

Anyway, thanks all for the explanations.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
EricHasNoPull said:
What the shit? Can you be any more condescending?!

BeeDog said:
English is not my native language, so I don't know how you arrived to that conclusion just because I didn't know the meaning of that particular phrase. And no, my life's not stress-free.

Anyway, thanks all for the explanations.

Sorry I didn't think that English wasn't your first language I apologize, lotta English speaking people still might not know some English words/terminology , I'm one of those guys, nothing wrong with that. Sorry for assuming English is your first language.

I wasn't trying to be a douche to claim that you may have a stress free life, I genuinely thought you never ran into those two words in your life. which would be cool, granted you had an awesome life to go with it.

Jinfash said:
What the shit? Can you be any more condescending?!
smh... no, but apparently you can!

plufim

BeeDog said:
What exactly does "time intensive" mean (from the PS Blog post)?
Everyone involved will probably be pulling double or triple shifts until its done. Think 20 hour workdays, 7 days a week.

Corto

G.O.O. said:
They aren't professionnal hackers, and probably not stupid enough to launch an attack they don't want to be associated with right after DDOSing websites from the same corporation they're at war with.

Who are they? They that DDOSed the websites or they that attacked the PSN this last week? This kind of organization is great for this type of operations. Having a "white" more visible objective, with a just cause to give credit to the ops, and then when the shit hits the fan makes it easier to argue that it was a rogue group with nothing to do with the original cause. It's "organic" and makes this rogue groups automatically discarded as they take advantage of the initial operation. But who are "they"? Credit card info can be very valuable on the black market. For all we know behind these self-named justice knights more illegal and detrimental organizations could have been the driving force all a long. Or at least the initial group and original motivations could have been instrumentalized to not so "noble" and "just" objectives. Being Anonymous we'll never know for sure. They don't take account for no one. They don't take responsibility for nothing. And just stating: "Anonymous is the responsible for the DDOS of Sony's servers" is not taking responsibility, is just diverting that.

Diablos

This is just getting ridiculous. If it's some debug systems pirating stuff, that sucks, but now I'm starting to worry about my personal information. The length of time it has been "down for maintenance" with no other real explanation other than there was a breach of security is awfully concerning. An overview of what happened and what it may or may not imply for the user without giving away anything too risky would be just fine at this point, Sony.

Alx said:

I don't think it's beyond belief that going down for a week could run into the tens of millions in lost revene for Sony. It's not a matter of them just not being able to sell games. They have contracts with movie studios, netflix, hulu, payng subscribers, their game development partners, advertisers, not to metion the support they have to provide fielding calls from thousands of angry customers who want to play Mortal Kombat or Portal 2 or whatever. It's not at all an insignificant amount of money.

bryehn

Just woke up and found this on my FB from the Kevin Butler page:

Now, this is NOT an official statement, and is ONLY speculation, but, apparently, the network outage is caused by CFW that allowed hacked consoles to access the PSN and use fake credit card numbers to download software from the store. If true, you can't be mad at Sony for any reason; they're protecting their products and services (and our personal information) from exploitation. We just have to be patient. - Jay

Why would they need CFW or hacked consoles to use fake credit card numbers?

Cyport

The playstation blog says PSN is online, is that a problem not fixed or is it actually online?? Sorry if I am causing an epic fail

Fjolle

bryehn said:
Just woke up and found this on my FB from the Kevin Butler page:

The theory is that some hackers got access to the dev network, and on that they were able to use some fake "dev" credit cards to buy stuff.

It shouldn't be the real reason why PSN is down though.

duckroll

bryehn said:

Not fake as in stolen, but fake as in invalid. There is talk that with one of the new CFWs, they could use an invalid CC number (say 0000-0000-000) and bypass the checking/payment system to download games for free.

Alx

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
I don't think it's beyond belief that going down for a week could run into the tens of millions in lost revene for Sony. It's not a matter of them just not being able to sell games. They have contracts with movie studios, netflix, hulu, payng subscribers, their game development partners, advertisers (...)

Mmh, yeah, I didn't think about advertising, which can be a lot of money. And a breach of contract is always painful, I suppose.
Btw I did a quick google and it looks like I had my estimations wrong, at the moment the PSN revenue is closer to 1 billion a year (wow), so I suppose that it does cost them a few millions a day on game sales alone.

G.O.O.

Corto said:
Who are they? They that DDOSed the websites or they that attacked the PSN this last week? This kind of organization is great for this type of operations. Having a "white" more visible objective, with a just cause to give credit to the ops, and then when the shit hits the fan makes it easier to argue that it was a rogue group with nothing to do with the original cause. It's "organic" and makes this rogue groups automatically discarded as they take advantage of the initial operation. But who are "they"? Credit card info can be very valuable on the black market. For all we know behind these self-named justice knights more illegal and detrimental organizations could have been the driving force all a long. Or at least the initial group and original motivations could have been instrumentalized to not so "noble" and "just" objectives. Being Anonymous we'll never know for sure. They don't take account for no one. They don't take responsibility for nothing. And just stating: "Anonymous is the responsible for the DDOS of Sony's servers" is not taking responsibility, is just diverting that.
But it's not an organization, or not like you seem to believe it is. You can join them anytime if you want, they aren't hidden or anything, the whole thing is like 4chan with real-life trolls. There is no leader and no centralized structure. You can join them if you want, they'll give you a ready-to-use program, a target and a rendez-vous, nothing else.

If there is money involved, then it could be from a member of anonymous, but it could be from someone else aswell. But the group as a whole won't take any profit.

Acheteedo

Shiloa said:
If the problem was this CFW thing, surely Sony could've just taken down the store rather than the entire network?

And maybe, just maybe they could have waiting for a non-holiday weekend.

what does condescending mean?

quote my earlier post please

Zomba13 said:
If it is a CFW thing they should just ban all PS3s with CFW from getting online (if they can detect that.
If true it's sucky that there are people using CFW to do shit like that.

I don't follow the CFW scene, but from what I know (knew) you couldn't even get online with a CFW console, no? is that where the "debug" CFW comes in?

Zomba13

If it is a CFW thing they should just ban all PS3s with CFW from getting online (if they can detect that.
If true it's sucky that there are people using CFW to do shit like that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You all really need to be ready for this to be down for a while. This is obviously more serious than we thought.

NinjaBoiX

Y2Kev said:
You all really need to be ready for this to be down for a while. This is obviously more serious than we thought.
Yeah, if reports of a complete rebuild are well founded, maybe they'll restock PSN's shelves with some semblance of order will they're at it.

Every cloud and all that!

Corto

G.O.O. said:
But it's not an organization, or not like you seem to believe it is. You can join them anytime if you want, they aren't hidden or anything, the whole thing is like 4chan with real-life trolls. There is no leader and no centralized structure. You can join them if you want, they'll give you a ready-to-use program, a target and a rendez-vous, nothing else.

If there is money involved, then it could be from a member of anonymous, but it could be from someone else aswell. But the group as a whole won't take any profit.

They are an organization, a dynamic one, which makes it even more difficult to apply counter measures to their acts. And off course they have a core. They have a centralized core that ensures that the group philosophy and objectives are being respected (and that hold the true central philosophy and objectives). 4chan or something more undisclosed perhaps, but they have it. The easiness of their recruitment methods only makes it more apt for their kind of operations. If we think about it it's brilliant. They're almost untouchable.

snap0212

Y2Kev said:
I personally am not waiting for it to be up again. I'm waiting for information about my personal information (+ credit card data). I don't care if it's going to take a month, but I want Sony to be open about that. Posting "not done yet" while also not answering any of the important questions doesn't help anyone, does it?

BeeDog

Y2Kev said:

But what's a reasonable time-frame for "a while"? Two weeks, tops? I can't see them bounce back from a delay longer than that.

bryehn

duckroll said:
Not fake as in stolen, but fake as in invalid. There is talk that with one of the new CFWs, they could use an invalid CC number (say 0000-0000-000) and bypass the checking/payment system to download games for free.

Ah okay, that makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom