• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahaha at all the people who cant answer the question because they are so up to date on BBC? Im glad that I dont know what BBC is. hahaha to all of you guys. Thanks for the laughs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jburton said:
Just saw a BBC article on their news channel about the ongoing PSN situation.

Their technology correspondent stated that he was contacting Sony almost every hour and has been promised a press statement on the situation, including information on expected resumption of services and a definitive statement on CC security issues in a couple of hours.

I think we will see a statement some time today.

Ah, good ol' BBC with the actual reporting, unlike most game websites that start with I-G-N that ask if X-box Live, which is totally unrelated to the situation, is up.

lawblob said:
She was fired?

One can only hope. But no, the store isn't being updated today. So she has no work.

"I hear y'all got a bug problem..."
john-goodman-arachnophobia.jpg

Walshicus

30SomethingGamer said:
hahaha at all the people who cant answer the question because they are so up to date on BBC? Im glad that I dont know what BBC is. hahaha to all of you guys. Thanks for the laughs.
Huh?

If there was a legitimate concern about CC safety wouldn't it be in Sony's best interest to say something as soon as possible? I can't imagine the damage if they didn't say anything and people's card info was really getting stolen and used. Or is it just that Sony doesn't know for sure yet and doesn't want to scare everyone until they do?

Jburton

Banned
expy said:
Ummm, isn't it the opinion of that junior that there will be a statement today, and not officially from Sony?

It is certainly my opinion only, but I based my opinion on the fact that the BBC chief technology correspondent stated that a statement was obviously overdue, people are contacting the BBC in increasing numbers in frustration over the lack of information and he in return has been contacting Sony at least once every hour or so and has been told that a statement relating to when will the service be back and whether CC info was compromised will be coming in a matter of hours.

Sony are under mounting pressure, especially on giving a defining statement on the CC issue and their share prices have been effected.

I believe the situation is close to some degree of certainty on when service will resume and whether customer CC info etc has been compromised.

They want a concrete resumption date before releasing a statement, it is a small way to try and gain some positive PR from this shambles.

AzerPhire

EricHasNoPull said:
I donno if this means much, but since we're on the subject of CCs and such, I'll say it anyway...

I called VISA Credit Card services yesterday morning here in Toronto Canada.

The reason I called is because my online CC account only shows my purchases 4-5 days ago and before that. So I asked if anything unusual my CC was used in the last three days, they said no, and asked Why?

I explained to the lady this whole PSN debacle...she acted all oblivious and surprised, she punched in some stuff on her computer (looking for company notes on the situation) she didn't find anything, and she got all excited and asked me to give her more info about it.

She was all like.."thanks for telling me this. I am going to pass this directly to my manager blah blah" ...

I made sure to let her know that everything is just rumors and speculation at the moment, there are no real evidence of CC fraud, theft etc. So please take it with a grain of salt etc. she was still all excited and thankful for the " crucial info" ...So..haha... maybe it wasn't even worth to mention this story but..I guess if it tells me anything.. CC companies (Visa) don't know anything about this.

Your transactions didn't show up because of the Easter weekend holidays not because of PSN :lol:

Interfectum

30SomethingGamer said:

Why don't you Google it and find out instead of being an ignorant dipshit?

mxgt

Banned
30SomethingGamer said:

Are you a real person?

Jinfash said:
Are you sure she wasn't being sarcastic? :p
If she was, than she must rank expert level troll, because she got me.

My poor explanation of her behavior here makes her sound like she was being sarcastic than she actually was while talking to me, I started to feel like a pure nerd and embarrassed the more seriously she started to take my story...it was one of those moments where I had to slow down and tell her "listen...these are all rumors and speculations, I suggest you guys do your own research online etc. before anything..."

AzerPhire said:
Your transactions didn't show up because of the Easter weekend holidays not because of PSN :lol:

I'm not so sure about that, according to the CC employee the online records are always about three or four days behind with transaction history. Holiday weekend or not.

Jburton

Banned
30SomethingGamer said:

If you have a legitimate mental health issue, I excuse your above comment.

If not, you might look into the potential mental health issues you may have.

expy

Banned
duckroll said:
It's from BBC, you bolded the wrong part.

"he was contacting Sony almost every hour and has been promised a press statement on the situation, including information on expected resumption of services and a definitive statement on CC security issues in a couple of hours."
Again, it seems like 'today' is assuming much coming from the mouth of a BBC employee instead of a direct quote from a Sony rep saying 'today' as opposed to 'couple of hours' which is very vague.

30SomethingGamer said:
I'm not sure what to say if you're truly "30 something" and don't know what the BBC is.

You're probably just being an ass but here you go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

Adamm

30SomethingGamer said:

.......what?

diffusionx

Gold Member
The_Darkest_Red said:
If there was a legitimate concern about CC safety wouldn't it be in Sony's best interest to say something as soon as possible? I can't imagine the damage if they didn't say anything and people's card info was really getting stolen and used. Or is it just that Sony doesn't know for sure yet and doesn't want to scare everyone until they do?

Companies are, at least in most states in the US, required by law to immediately inform customers who may have gotten their info stolen. Any delay tactics open them up to huge liabilities. Sony is blockheaded quite often but I don't think they are that blockheaded.

A.KU.MU

Banned
30SomethingGamer said:

Biography:
Nice guy

Right...

Corto

30SomethingGamer said:

25phcna.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
GANGSTERKILLER said:
I have no trust in PSN anymore, will never buy something with my creditcard again. Will use prepaid cards instead. How late can you expect a official statement from BBC? Man, this PSN drama is really HUGE. Wat will Sony say if they going to talk about what a "success" PSN is at E3 2011 press conference!?

http://www.uploadplaatjes.nl/plaatjes/1/128652.jpg
They will talk about the financial success if they mention PSN at E3.

30SomethingGamer said:
I swear if I have anything more to say about your last couple of posts in here, I might just get blamed for begin a backseat mod!

Kyoufu said:
I hear its patented by MS, is that true?

Their implementation/technology was patented, I believe.
But that shouldn't stop Sony from developing their own technology, or buying it somewhere else without breaking these patents.

No, the reason that it's taking so long is because they didn't think their service through when developing the PS3. The software has been made in Japan and they didn't care much about online gaming. The PSN is a last-minute implementation. They first wanted you to sign up and create accounts for all games seperately.

This is why we didn't have cross-game invitations etc. when PSN first launched. They added alle these features later on. And while cross-game invitations are relatively easy to implement, cross-game Voice Chat is not.

And now they're having trouble with running the service with older games (because they're not using a seperate 'game channel' for VoIP and developers have/had to use their own codecs and such) and insufficient available RAM to work with in the background.

In short: They just can't get it to work properly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
duckroll said:
Not for long.

Or... that works... too.

Thanks, Ducky.

Meanwhile: I hope that BBC "rumor" reporting is true. I really do want an official statement. It would calm me down about this outage. Not knowing what the hell is happening and what caused it and blah blah blah pisses me off.

Fistwell said:
Aw... out-fucking-standing you guys. "BBC Say Statement From Sony Coming Soon."

Oh goddamn it, we're being trolled. :(

30SomethingGamer said:
are you shitting me asking me a question for my question?
Are you really 30 something, or a typical 15 year old forum troll? This isn't the first time you posted nonsense about your CC, knock it off, people are already freaked out.

Edit: tried to warn the poor bastard. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
duckroll said:
LOL. Maybe I should change the title to "Update: PSN team laid off, Sony filing for bankruptcy"... maybe IGN will pick it up!

"Sony Expected To Announce New Playstation Network At E3"

Huff

Banned
duckroll said:
LOL. Maybe I should change the title to "Update: PSN team laid off, Sony filing for bankruptcy"... maybe IGN will pick it up!

Wasn't alot of the PSN team actually laid off recently with the closings of SOE departments? Like a month ago or so

Withnail

TheSeks said:
Ah, good ol' BBC with the actual reporting, unlike most game websites that start with I-G-N that ask if X-box Live, which is totally unrelated to the situation, is up.

Yeah this, I'm glad some proper journalists are now stepping in to get us some useful information. This whole affair has been nearly as shameful for videogame "journalism" as it has been for Sony's networking division.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom