• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Carl said:
The fuck? How is it anything like that?
If you take a certain perspective that completely ignores the lives that have been lost and the towns that have been ruined and how everything was fucked on a massive scale in the island of Japan.

One could say that it's like that because people can't play SOCOM4 multiplayer right now, the same way they couldn't play MotorStorm: Apocalypse multiplayer around that time. (It was delayed because of the disaster.)

I'm kinda glad I didn't use my CC to buy anything yet from the PSN, I know that it seems everything is fine with people CC's but this whole ordeal dosn't really inspire confidence.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Relaxed Muscle said:
I'm kinda glad I didn't use my CC to buy anything yet from the PSN, I know that it seems everything is fine with people CC's but this whole ordeal dosn't really inspire confidence.
Haven't seen any activity on the CC I use.

Carl

bandresen said:
If you take a certain perspective that completely ignores the lives that have been lost and the towns that have been ruined and how everything was fucked on a massive scale in the island of Japan.

One could say that it's like that because people can't play SOCOM4 multiplayer right now, the same way they couldn't play MotorStorm: Apocalypse multiplayer around that time. (It was delayed because of the disaster.)

So...Nothing like it?

Rebel Leader said:
IF there is a statement. KB should be the one doing it in video form.

You know what -- assuming credit card information isn't out there and the only damage is a few days without multiplayer etc, that might be an excellent way of lightening the mood.

I'm not sure it would be appropriate, but if done well it might not be the worst idea.

Obviously, the real business statements need to come out first, though.

gembel said:
It's becoming like the Japan nuclear incident again :(
FDoSE.gif

I just had to do it.

I donno if this means much, but since we're on the subject of CCs and such, I'll say it anyway...

I called VISA Credit Card services yesterday morning here in Toronto Canada.

The reason I called is because my online CC account only shows my purchases 4-5 days ago and before that. So I asked if anything unusual my CC was used in the last three days, they said no, and asked Why?

I explained to the lady this whole PSN debacle...she acted all oblivious and surprised, she punched in some stuff on her computer (looking for company notes on the situation) she didn't find anything, and she got all excited and asked me to give her more info about it.

She was all like.."thanks for telling me this. I am going to pass this directly to my manager blah blah" ...

I made sure to let her know that everything is just rumors and speculation at the moment, there are no real evidence of CC fraud, theft etc. So please take it with a grain of salt etc. she was still all excited and thankful for the " crucial info" ...So..haha... maybe it wasn't even worth to mention this story but..I guess if it tells me anything.. CC companies (Visa) don't know anything about this.

Corto

get2sammyb said:
You know what -- assuming credit card information isn't out there and the only damage is a few days without multiplayer etc, that might be an excellent way of lightening the mood.

I'm not sure it would be appropriate, but if done well it might not be the worst idea.

Kevin Butler Seppuku?

itsgreen

Carl said:
So...Nothing like it?

I think he means there isn't clear word from officials and there is a sense we are being lied to.

It just keeps on going.

Not the best example since that is a huge disaster where people have died and there are bound to be more people who die in the future as a result...

gembel

like the Japanese government keeping quiet about the whole nuclear incident... well SCE is doing the same thing..

is keeping quiet to things a normal thing for Japanese people?

EricHasNoPull said:
I donno if this means much, but since we're on the subject of CCs and such, I'll say it anyway...

The reason I called is because my online CC account only shows my purchases 4-5 days ago and before that. So I asked if anything unusual my CC was used in the last three days, they said no, and asked Why?

I explained to the lady this whole PSN debacle...she acted all oblivious and surprised, she punched in some stuff on her computer (looking for company notes on the situation) she didn't find anything, and she got all excited and asked me to give her more info about it.

She was all like.."thanks for telling me this. I am going to pass this directly to my manager blah blah" ...

I made sure to let he r know that everything is just rumors and speculation at the moment, there are no real evidence of CC fraud, theft etc. So please take it with a grain of salt etc. she was stil lall excited and thankful...So..haha... maybe it wasn't even worth to mention this story but..I guess if it tells me anything.. CC companies (Visa) don't know anything about this.

You made sure she got that promotion she have been waiting for. :p

Rebel Leader said:
how about if it happens after the official statement then?
I don't think Sony would waste money to "advertise" something like this. They probably want to keep it as low key as possible, which seems even more apparent based on their lack of substantial updates.

Raist

Banned
gembel said:
like the Japanese government keeping quiet about the whole nuclear incident... well SCE is doing the same thing..

is keeping quiet to things a normal thing for Japanese people?

You're trying too hard.

expy

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:

I explained to the lady this whole PSN debacle [......]
There really is no reason for them to know about it if there isn't any real fraud involved (concerning the credit card companies).

IonicSnake said:
You made sure she got that promotion she have been waiting for. :p
Honestly I could almost sense her giddiness over the phone, the more I told her about "being down for five days now.." "Online gaming community is outraged...".."no confirmation from Sony if everyone's CC info is safe"

She was literally "Ohh man, can't wait to tell all this to my Boss!!" in a very excited tone... I found it rather unusual. I think she probably was the employee of the day yesterday and the talk around the water cooler for her "inside info" :p

EricHasNoPull said:
Honestly I could almost sense her giddiness over the phone, the more I told her about "being down for five days now.." "Online gaming community is outraged...".."no confirmation from Sony if everyone's CC info is safe"

She was literally "Ohh man, can't wait to tell all this to my Boss!!" in a very excited tone... I found it rather unusual. I think she probably was the employee of the day yesterday and the talk around the water cooler for her "inside info" :p
This is what it must feel like for people on the outside to get a brief glimpse of Detective-GAF.

duckroll

expy said:
Ummm, isn't it the opinion of that junior that there will be a statement today, and not officially from Sony?

It's from BBC, you bolded the wrong part.

"he was contacting Sony almost every hour and has been promised a press statement on the situation, including information on expected resumption of services and a definitive statement on CC security issues in a couple of hours."

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
EricHasNoPull said:

Are you sure she wasn't being sarcastic? :p

nofi

duckroll said:

"he was contacting Sony almost every hour and has been promised a press statement on the situation, including information on expected resumption of services and a definitive statement on CC security issues in a couple of hours."

Might not be the case - apparently the correspondent was being told 'a couple of hours' continuously, rather than a specific time frame.

I've not seen it though, second hand info.

Oni Jazar

The only official statement I want to hear is, "We fixed our shit, your credentials are safe, and PSN will be up today."

(Why do I get the feeling we'll be lucky if PSN is up by next week?)

get2sammyb said:

Ssshhh. Don't give Sony any ideas, this has been handled poorly enough already.

duckroll said:

Couldn't find anything about it on the bbc website. Found this video though, in which bbc techno guy mentions that sony's been saying off the record that cc info was probably not compromised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom