• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgefusion

I hope PSN never comes back up, this thread is far too entertaining!

No but seriously though I need to sync my trophies so all my Facebook friends know how rad I am.

Linkified

alr1ghtstart said:
it's his personal twitter. It's even linked on that account you posted.

A fan of his put some words in a bio section and to make it seem legit reposts links on his official twitter. Its not a verified account even.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Morn said:
It's Sony's responsibility to keep their network secure and to prevent such a thing.
Let's not go down this road here please.
Security is not black or white. Nothing is 100 percent secure outside of lack of internet and physical access to the device.

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, Sony deserves to take a massive hit because someone hacked their network. *eyeroll*
I don't understand. Is someone holding the PSN hostage with the assurance that Sony will never see it again if they tell anyone else about what's going on? Because that's the only way I can imagine that PSN being taken down by Sony with no word as to why or for how long wouldn't be Sony's fault.

slider

Mercury Fred said:
Of course the people responsible deserve to be punished. But so does Sony for its bizarrely amateurish handling of the whole mess.

That makes it sound like you mean the PR effort post PSN going down? Or do you mean the "weakness" of PSN originally? They're two very different things.

Linkified said:
A fan of his put some words in a bio section and to make it seem legit reposts links on his official twitter. Its not a verified account even.
He's used it for a long time. His official Twitter links to it.

Cornbread78

edgefusion said:

No but seriously though I need to sync my trophies so all my Facebook friends know how rad I am.

They are going to get a status update for every trophy, I'd be pissed with all the wasted messages, LOL

Massa

Steve Youngblood said:
I don't understand. Is someone holding the PSN hostage with the assurance that Sony will never see it again if they tell anyone else about what's going on? Because that's the only way I can imagine that PSN being taken down by Sony with no word as to why or for how long wouldn't be Sony's fault.

They already told you what's going on.

Speevy

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:

Considering this has never happened before, wouldn't you think Sony has a pretty good reason for taking it down?

There are hundreds of workers in an office who are right now sweating profusely because they know users are calling customer service in the thousands about this downtime.

Every single speculative statement I've seen regarding why Sony might have done this sounds completely reasonable.

It harms them to keep it down. I may have harmed you to keep it up. Makes sense to me.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Meanwhile PS3 version of Mortal Kombat goes to #1 on Amazon while the 360 version continues to drop.
Test your might!

LOL. This fucking thread man. So glad i got approved so i can join in on this shit.

There is no internet. Only GAF.

Morn

Banned
MThanded said:
Let's not go down this road here please.
Security is not black or white. Nothing is 100 percent secure outside of lack of internet and physical access to the device.

Microsoft loves to tout their "military grade security" on XBL. You don't see someone hacking in and shutting down the whole system like this on the 360.

MThanded

Morn said:
Microsoft loves to tout their "military grade security" on XBL. You don't see someone hacking in and shutting down the whole system like this on the 360.
Military grade security is such a fluff term. Also this may have been a precautionary shutdown more than anything. Just because Microsoft is not saying they have issues does no mean they aren't having issues. A lot of companies have security problems and they let them slide or under assume how much damage was done.

I'm not defending Sony but I have been a security researcher for a long time. The assumption that something is 100% secure because companies are not reporting issues is a bad one. Thats like security through public relations obscurity.

My guess is the shutdown was for forensic reasons and to turn information over to authorities.

slider

Mercury Fred said:

Gotcha. I guess there's no real reason to separate the two!

What form should this punishment take? I mean what more would you want above the bad PR and time, effort & money it's costing them whilst PSN is down?

Morn

Banned
MThanded said:
Military grade security is such a fluff term. Also this may have been a precautionary shutdown more than anything. Just because Microsoft is not saying they have issues does no mean they aren't having issues.

That makes no sense. You can login to XBL on your 360 or PC right now. They aren't having issues like this.

slider

Morn said:

I'll tell you something. Voice chat over is Live is uber secure. But maybe that's cos no one has given enough effort to bust it open.

Massa said:
They already told you what's going on.
That they're rebuilding the network after a hack? What happened? How severe was the hack? How long is it going to be down? What is their plan to appease customers who are upset that a key feature of their expensive piece of hardware isn't working?

MThanded

Morn said:
That makes no sense. You can login to XBL on your 360 or PC right now. They aren't having issues like this.
You can have a virus on your computer and still login what is your point. Networks get compromised all the time and people never know. Just because you can login into XBL does not mean your CC info hasn't been stolen etc.

Your assumption is hackers took down psn. We don't know that yet. I am betting it still down because sony is doing forensic analysis on the network and turning information in to the authorities. Even if people were stealing games thats a felony in most jurisdictions. I expect those people stealing games off the network to go to jail.

alphaNoid

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, Sony deserves to take a massive hit because someone hacked their network. *eyeroll*
No but Sony is ultimately responsible for the security of their network and when its compromised at the worst level possible and affects game sales... they have to bear that weight as well.

Poor security, poor redundancy and poor disaster recovery is all fault on Sony. Nobody else to blame for that. I said it earlier in this thread but if this was a federal bank reserve that got robbed, people would be pissed at the robbers but FURIOUS at the bank for dropping the ball.

The buck stops with Sony, sorry.

slider said:
What form should this punishment take? I mean what more would you want above the bad PR and time, effort & money it's costing them whilst PSN is down?
I'd say stocks crashing would be fairly satisfying.

Massa

Steve Youngblood said:
That they're rebuilding the network after a hack? What happened? How severe was the hack? How long is it going to be down? What is their plan to appease customers who are upset that a key feature of their expensive piece of hardware isn't working?

Yep. The network was hacked, they're now working to get it back online. If they knew when that process will be done they would have told you.

slider

Steve Youngblood said:

What happened? Outside intrusion!

How severe? Very!

How long will it be down? Not sure... :(

How will they appease customers? Give them an awesomely secure PSN when it does come back up... and a gratis copy of Calling All Cars!

Dammit, everything's relative I guess. But the handling has been atrocious.

MThanded

Massa said:
Yep. The network was hacked, they're now working to get it back online. If they knew when that process will be done they would have told you.
We still don't know the extent of the compromise. That is bad PR sorry. Stop defending their horrible PR. They must know the extent of the compromise if they are building better defenses. If not, thats like adding a security system and not knowing how the last robber got in. I can put a motion detector in a room but if its the wrong room who cares.

edgefusion said:

oh man, the second I do this I'm going to get bitched out. It's going to be a tsunami of trophy updates

Dries

I want to download the God of War III demo... Is that completely impossible now? Or is there some other secret way?

Massa said:
And that's fine. Whether I come across as such or not, I assure you that I'm not part of the angry mob who's screaming for the blood of Sony executives to appease me for this outrage. I'm not laughing or advocating that people jump ship, as I really don't have anything invested in corporate allegiances.

However, I just don't really understand why anyone would empathize with Sony in this situation given how they've handled it. That's all I'm really getting at. I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, but to suggest that this is anything but a massive embarrassment for Sony is disingenuous. They don't need the benefit of the doubt here.

Shambles

This is just sad. Even with a total system failure they should have it up by now. As far as corporate infrastructure goes PSN servers are relatively small and simple. Could you imagine if Sony was in charge of something like google or amazon.

alphaNoid

Banned
Dries said:
I want to download the God of War III demo... Is that completely impossible now? Or is there some other secret way?
Playstation Network is completely down, offline, dead in the water, hosed. There is no secret way to connect to the network to download your demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom