• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philthy

FTH said:
Another reason is that some people have paid content they bought over PSN that they can't access. I can see why some would be mad, if there was a beta or some limited time game they couldn't play.

Some people paid $600 for their machine that includes the PSN access with the cost as well. PSN isn't "Free". It is subsidized by the cost of the console itself.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
bjb said:
I'd say the majority of the people in this thread aren't paying a dime (playstation+), and yet are still having absolute meltdowns over a free service.
What about people who buy a game solely for the online? A feature of the game is online play.

That support may have been their driving reason for purchasing a game.

FTH said:
Another reason is that some people have paid content they bought over PSN that they can't access. I can see why some would be mad, if there was a beta or some limited time game they couldn't play.
Another reason is just that connectivity is a pretty integral feature that people rightfully expect to work given that it's how the product was pitched to them.

black_vegeta said:
aytYJ.jpg

Sorry if old. So much damn pages from yesterday til today.
Older than old is old.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
that comic has been posted at least 10 times, along with the same "sorry if old" text accompanying it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
black_vegeta said:
hurrderr.jpg

Sorry if old. So much damn pages from yesterday til today.

Older than Jesus' asscrack. Please stop reposting it. :/

WHERE IS MY STATEMENT, SONY!? YOU SAID THERE WOULD BE A STATEMENT.

A.KU.MU said:
Rich? No, but I have a steady income. I work and I work hard as a freight train driver. I have donated about 1/5 of my monthly income to Japan in april. What have you done besides trolling and whining on the forum? Nothing, so please, zip it.

I don't feel bad about myself, I feel good because I'm a good person and because I try to help less fortunate people than me. You should try it sometime. All of you.
Let it go son

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
bjb said:
I'd say the majority of the people in this thread aren't paying a dime (playstation+), and yet are still having absolute meltdowns over a free service.

I don't know if you heard, but Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, and SOCOM 4 came out this week. Kind of a bad time for PSN to go down.

Carl

A.KU.MU said:
Rich? No, but I have a steady income. I work and I work hard as a freight train driver. I have donated about 1/5 of my monthly income to Japan in april. What have you done besides trolling and whining on the forum? Nothing, so please, zip it.

I don't feel bad about myself, I feel good because I'm a good person and because I try to help less fortunate people than me. You should try it sometime. All of you.

Okay, you can quite bragging now.

see5harp

A.KU.MU said:

You could have bought like 6 360's son.

Dizzy

Banned
I can understand people being annoyed at losing the online service, but I think Sony needs to be cut a little break here. Like it or not at the end of the day they're a victim in all of this. I'm sure they take no joy in having their service down - upsetting their userbase, developers and losing revenue for themselves.

Now I agree that they could have been more transparent about the whole situation. Whether the amount of work they're doing is nessacary or not I dunno, but some people here are overreacting big time :-/ acting like Sony took the network down just to piss us off.

I'm one of the last people here that would go out of my way to defend a huge corporation but there's a clear difference between things they should be criticized for and things that are out of their control. Removing backwards compatibility - bullshit move, removing otherOS - sucks for those that wanted it, however....getting hacked by an outside source? not something that could be helped.

daffy

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
Another reason is just that connectivity is a pretty integral feature that people rightfully expect to work given that it's how the product was pitched to them.
Well, it's been connected for longer than it's been down. Downtimes are also integral to services like PSN, this just happens to be an extra long one. I think consumers should expect to have downtimes at some point, when they use online services. It was never pitched as always online 24/7.

Essentially there's a greater chance than previous hours of a statement from Sony coming this hour, but Sony could do what they have the last 6 days and just fart instead.

sleepykyo

BenjaminBirdie said:
Can you still install stuff? I DLed a bunch of demos when I first got it but they're still in the little pre-install bubbles on the XMB.
You can still install stuff? dl some patches? surf the web (which is why my commas are question marks) and use netflix. But that is about it.

MThanded

FTH said:
Well, it's been connected for longer than it's been down. Downtimes are also integral to services like PSN, this just happens to be an extra long one. I think consumers should expect to have downtimes at some point, when they use online services. It was never pitched as always online 24/7.
A continual week down time is a lot different than a night, day or hour here or there. Downtine for distributed services is normal and is also usually scheduled around peak usage statistics etc.

Dizzy said:
however....getting hacked by an outside source? not something that could be helped.
Yeah, having decent security is WAY too much to ask for when it comes to a service tens of millions of people use nearly every day.

bangai-o said:
someone said that the head guys at Sony just sleep with cheerleaders instead of actually working. Is this true?

Yes it is. My source over at SCE say that the folks over at Sony LOVE them some short skirts and young girls.

thewesker said:
Yeah, having decent security is WAY too much to ask for when it comes to a service tens of millions of people use nearly every day.

Lol so are you implying that if Sony had decent security they would have NEVER been hacked?

Dizzy said:
I can understand people being annoyed at losing the online service, but I think Sony needs to be cut a little break here. Like it or not at the end of the day they're a victim in all of this. I'm sure they take no joy in having their service down - upsetting their userbase, developers and losing revenue for themselves.

Now I agree that they could have been more transparent about the whole situation. Whether the amount of work they're doing is nessacary or not I dunno, but some people here are overreacting big time :-/ acting like Sony took the network down just to piss us off.

I'm one of the last people here that would go out of my way to defend a huge corporation but there's a clear difference between things they should be criticized for and things that are out of their control. Removing backwards compatibility - bullshit move, removing otherOS - sucks for those that wanted it, however....getting hacked by an outside source? not something that could be helped.
100% agree. Also some need to just man up and move on. When PSN goes back up, you'll be able to play your games again. Meantime, go the fuck outside, or work on a project. Have sex even, for chrissakes!

MThanded

Dabanton said:
Also they've given no actual time of return.
Correct.

I was talking to some of my colleagues about the situation( we all work in safety critical,security and distributed systems research). We believe that for them to have a continual week downtime something pretty big must have gone down. I think this is an unprecedented shutdown for a service so large. The amount of money they are losing from this sustained shutdown is pretty big so if they felt the need to shutdown it must have been because a large scale compromise occured/a critical asset was stolen on they have no clue wtf is going on.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
perineumlick said:
100% agree. Also some need to just man up and move on. When PSN goes back up, you'll be able to play your games again. Meantime, go the fuck outside, or work on a project.

I have done all that and bet I go outside more often then you think.

MThanded said:
Correct.

I was talking to some of my colleagues about the situation( we all work in safety critical and security research). We believe that for them to have a continual week downtime something pretty big must have gone down. I think this is an unprecedented shutdown for a service so large.

I concur

A.KU.MU said:

You just obliterated the whole meaning of charity by boasting about it. Kudos sir.

bob page

Dizzy said:
however....getting hacked by an outside source? not something that could be helped.
Are you kidding me? This is a billion dollar corporation that is supposed to specialize in technology. It's inexcusable for IT departments at a firm this large to let crap like this happen (hell, it's even inexcusable for the firm I manage IT for, which is only 50ish people). If I were in charge of IT at Sony, I would fire everyone in charge of putting this crappy infrastructure together.

When you are given sensitive data from YOUR customers, it's your duty to do EVERYTHING you can to keep it safe and from being compromised. Especially if you have the resources that Sony does.

bob page said:
Are you kidding me? This is a billion dollar corporation that is supposed to specialize in technology. It's inexcusable for IT departments at a firm this large to let crap like this happen (hell, it's even inexcusable for the firm I manage IT for, which is only 50ish people). If I were in charge of IT at Sony, I would fire everyone in charge of putting this crappy infrastructure together.

It's like the circle is getting smaller... and smaller, etc.

bob page said:

"If I were President I would just nuke Iraq and be done with it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom