• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

notworksafe said:
The second part of your request can be fulfilled by just calling up Sony and asking them to deactivate all your your PSN accounts on other PS3s.
when I tried that about my one PS3 that was stolen they refused to help

Carl

Pinko Marx said:
Hey guys you seen this comic yet?
aytYJ.jpg

omfg lol that shit is so funny lmfao lmfao lmfao

Akuosa

A.KU.MU said:
Rich? No, but I have a steady income. I work and I work hard as a freight train driver. I have donated about 1/5 of my monthly income to Japan in april. What have you done besides trolling and whining on the forum? Nothing, so please, zip it.

I don't feel bad about myself, I feel good because I'm a good person and because I try to help less fortunate people than me. You should try it sometime. All of you.
Have you ever heard of moral balancing? The way you talk, sounds to me that's what you're doing.

Jetku

bob page said:
Yeah, but it is within their power to inform executives of what needs to be done and guide them to making the right decision. When I first started in IT, I often ran into situations like this- where managers would skimp on things left and right because they didn't realize the proper cost-benefit situation for hardware and software. When you communicate these needs and requirements and explain what will happen if they're not fulfilled, it can put a whole new perspective into those who lack understanding.

I agree. And at the same time, it's completely possible that the executives were willing to take the associated risks. I just hope fingers don't get pointed at the little guys...

DiGiKerot

For some strange reason, Channel 4 News in the UK are using footage from Sonic 4 for this news story.

Because, obviously, people are just dying to get on PSN to download that.

graywolf323 said:
when I tried that about my one PS3 that was stolen they refused to help

Use this situation as ammo. Give them another call and claim something ridiculous (Your account was activated on a bunch of machines during downtime). Profit.

bob page

Dabanton said:
I agree. People saying go outside etc are coming across as rather condescending. I'm lucky that i have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 among other systems so i have had other options these last few days. But friends of mine who only own a PS3 had been looking forward to playing some games online over this four day weekend in the UK.

After not usually having the time to fully indulge in their hobby because of work, relationships,uni etc and were like most of us thinking that Sony would have had this sorted out by the beginning of the weekend alas here we are still waiting for some actual clarification.

Hopefully Sony is a bit more open if they are releasing a statement this evening.
Yeah, it is pretty condescending. I have a job, a girlfriend, and a 360 as well but it's not like I don't have a right to have a negative opinion about this. Sometimes I just like to get home from work and de-stress. Especially after I just bought a new game that I no longer have the opportunity of enjoying.

TommyT

EricHasNoPull said:
Ok enough of this Bullshit.

- If Sony has an official press release today, before midnight 12:00am + 5 EST

I will donate $200 to Japan
& another $200 to an orphanage in Armenia

No joke, I am inpired by this "quit your whining bullshit and do something good and positive" movement I read a few pages back.

While I'm at it (Not that I have to worry about this) but if...if lol!! PSN goes back online in my region, East Coast, North America. Before 12:00am midnight today Eastern time. I will raise each of the $200 to $500, respectively.

You read it first here mates.

Na, you should make it a ban bet.

Majine

Banned
They have to adress us somehow, with the Store update being imminent (normally).

On the other hand, that is rational thinking, something Sony is not a fan of.

verbum

kinoki said:
Remember christmas '07. There was this thing with Xbox Live.

Microsoft is the more beloved company. They give gifts during downtime holidays. We forgive Microsoft for their transgressions. Free games!

alphaNoid

Banned
Dizzy said:
I can understand people being annoyed at losing the online service, but I think Sony needs to be cut a little break here. Like it or not at the end of the day they're a victim in all of this. I'm sure they take no joy in having their service down - upsetting their userbase, developers and losing revenue for themselves.

Now I agree that they could have been more transparent about the whole situation. Whether the amount of work they're doing is nessacary or not I dunno, but some people here are overreacting big time :-/ acting like Sony took the network down just to piss us off.

I'm one of the last people here that would go out of my way to defend a huge corporation but there's a clear difference between things they should be criticized for and things that are out of their control. Removing backwards compatibility - bullshit move, removing otherOS - sucks for those that wanted it, however....getting hacked by an outside source? not something that could be helped.
Sony gets no slack, they dropped the ball and got their asses handed to them. Its their job to protect their environment and sensitive consumer information (personal or CC). This will cost them millions of dollars (in the long run), will definitely tarnish the PSN brand, and people are going to lose their jobs.

As far as security and system stability goes, this is a worst case senario for Sony. Sure they were attacked, but that is no excuse .. their systems should have been resilient enough to sustain attacks, and recovery quickly w/o any kind of outage to the system.

This is what the industry calls a 'resume updating event'.

I think that for ANY Penny Arcade comic, it's safe to assume that someone has already posted it. It seems that there are some users who are always chomping at the bit to post it, and I guess, seem clever by association.

Personally, I think PA is only marginally better than VG Cats, but this one was spot on.

Z_Y

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I also remember getting a free game out of it. =P
No shit. Also XBL wasn't completely shut off...I just remember it being really spotty for about a week. Also, I remember PLENTY of updates from Major Nelson....at least that seemed to alleviate a bit of the frustration.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Somebody is getting fired over this. They are going to make someone take the fall for this. Heads will roll.

Z_Y said:
No shit. Also XBL wasn't completely shut off...I just remember it being really spotty for about a week. Also, I remember PLENTY of updates from Major Nelson....at least that seemed to alleviate a bit of the frustration.
It was anywhere from a week to a month depending on which server your gamertag was associated with. I was on one of those servers that took a month. I would have been happy with them just extending XBL for me for another month. Instead I got some shitty scuba steve game.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
MThanded said:
Somebody is getting fired over this. They are going to make someone take the fall for this. Heads will roll.

Deservedly some people should be getting the boot. I doubt it's one person, but a whole team should be getting tapped in the bum for this colossal fuck up.

LiK

Sunflower said:
Deservedly some people should be getting the boot. I doubt it's one person, but a whole team should be getting tapped in the bum for this colossal fuck up.
Whoever in charge of security and can't fix it....OFF WITH THEIR HEADS

rapid32.5

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Use this situation as ammo. Give them another call and claim something ridiculous (Your account was activated on a bunch of machines during downtime). Profit.
brilliant idea, I dont even need to cook up a story now, just blame Sony for their own F-up.

Z_Y said:
Indeed it is that reason I thought everyone moved on from comparing this to '07 to just saying "at least this isn't as bad as RROD" pages back.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
notworksafe said:
Ugh. That game was terrible.
I agree undertow was some shat. They could have kept that game to themselves. \

Note: I may say this because I suck at that game.

daffy

Banned
MThanded said:
I of all people understand the downtime. However, the lack of full disclosure on their part is very worrisome to say the least.
I agree they should be telling us more, but something tells me it will be covered up until much later. It would be irresponsible if they told us everything about how this happened but hadn't fully rebuilt the service and plugged all the holes.

Say they came out today and said a hacker group brought the service down while still rebuilding. What will the hacker community do then? Figure out how to replicate what was done, in other settings as well. If it was say Sony's error that caused it, how will Sony & the PSN workers be looked at as? Incompetent, omg we should sue these guys.

They should have everything locked down before they release a detailed statement if you ask me.

Dabanton

MThanded said:

Hopefully Kevin Butler.

His silence these last few days has been very telling.

see5harp

Undertow really wasn't that bad. It wasn't great but it was the start the whole UE3 domination and was about as fun as Crash Commando.

4News said:
Update. At small positive sign for Italy and France.

Following the statement, published yesterday in this article , from SONY about the renovation work of the PlayStation Network online service, some positive signs coming from the territory of French and Italian.

In these regions is in fact returned to work, at least in part, and for a short time, the PSN service allowing users to connect and communicate with each other. You can not even play online, even if someone claims to be able to do with some titles. So as you can not access the Store. This could be an early test to see the resumption of the service and return to full speed.

Meanwhile, Neil Martin, an expert engineer on database security, told NowGamer that the problem will be solved when implementing a new system of authentication on the PSN to bypass the old route and canceled the automatic logon, to ensure less impact through programs that generate Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS). The securities will suffer a small update patch to be compatible with the new authentication system.
[First Update]

Sony is making a statement in which it will inform users about the activities scheduled to bring the PSN service to its full functionality. The first phase scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, April 27, 2011, will be to provide users with access to the service with confidence. From Thursday, April 28, 2011 will be released patches to allow licenses to be compatible with the new authentication system. It is not known at the time when the usual update of the Playstation Store will be respected. We will publish the official announcement will be made ​​available soon.

Don't know how reliable this source is...

http://translate.google.it/translat...se-di-ripristino.php&sl=it&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Tiduz said:
olduz? real sony or fake?

http://www.facebook.com/SonyPlayStationDanmark/posts/156526554410085

SCEE will shortly send an email out to all PSN users. PSN was subjected to an attack by an external hacker militia and SCEE themselves have taken the PSN downbefore more damage was done. When we send out email to more than 77,000,000users, there might be some time before everyone receives it.
LOLOLOLOL

Well I guess it was just translated that way but in English it sounds very funny.

Afrikan

eternaLightness said:
lmao.

Thanks to Sony, I've gotten a ton of schoolwork done because of this.

Ken Kutaragi prediction list

PS3 will...

1080p - check
120fps- check
3D gaming - check
install discipline in gamers - check

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Tiduz said:
olduz? real sony or fake?

http://www.facebook.com/SonyPlayStationDanmark/posts/156526554410085

SCEE will shortly send an email out to all PSN users. PSN was subjected to an attack by an external hacker militia and SCEE themselves have taken the PSN downbefore more damage was done. When we send out email to more than 77,000,000users, there might be some time before everyone receives it.

The email will just say something about how this is a time consuming process, please be patient etc.

Kagari said:
We don't really do ban bets anymore here.
You totally missed his point. TommyT doesn't want to see people helping unfortunate Eartquake victims and orphan children around world. Which I kind of find a little disturbing.

FTH said:
I agree they should be telling us more, but something tells me it will be covered up until much later. It would be irresponsible if they told us everything about how this happened but hadn't fully rebuilt the service and plugged all the holes.
Do you understand how PR works? It's not all or nothing. It's not as though sending someone up to the podium to answer some questions or make a statement entails them laying out every single thing that they know about. They don't have to go into any depth whatsoever. However, wouldn't it be just swell if they sent someone out there to serve as the face of this situation in an attempt to assuage the public that they're doing everything they can and give some clue as to what's going on? Because that's what most organizations do.

bob page said:
Yeah, it is pretty condescending. I have a job, a girlfriend, and a 360 as well but it's not like I don't have a right to have a negative opinion about this. Sometimes I just like to get home from work and de-stress. Especially after I just bought a new game that I no longer have the opportunity of enjoying.
Yeah, my comment is condescending. I can't see the outrage; sure it sucks and everyone has a right to be pissed, but these things happen. If the only thing that can make your day or weekend better is playing a PS3 online, then more power to you. It's a gaming forum, and in true GAF fashion things are amplified beyond their true significance. PSN being down is a big deal, but how many people does this truly impact negatively, to where their quality of life suffers? Not many, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom