• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Okay, since they're most likely removing the add infinite money button... perhaps they'll add proper gifting and/or just Steam? Wouldn't it be kind of *fun* if it was actually Valve causing this in order to get Steam on the PS3? Sony gets into problem over it's online store and matchmaking. Valve just released Steamworks. "Hold on," says Valve "I have a solution you're going to like." And they take over the Playstation brand.

Crisis

Banned
kinoki said:
Okay, since they're most likely removing the add infinite money button... perhaps they'll add proper gifting and/or just Steam? Wouldn't it be kind of *fun* if it was actually Valve causing this in order to get Steam on the PS3? Sony gets into problem over it's online store and matchmaking. Valve just released Steamworks. "Hold on," says Valve "I have a solution you're going to like." And they take over the Playstation brand.

Yeah. That's not going to happen soon.

snack

original.jpg

Lonely1 said:
What if the hacker is located where none gives a dam?
Hackers have been going after big companies and even governments for quite some time now. And we all know that big businesses are wedged in with nearly ever government. Nobody gave a damn really because it was just "juvenile" stuff until that attack from China against the freaking U.S military. Going after one of the biggest electronics manufacturer in the world is just another notch.

Speaking of which, I know some of you are saying that profile data will be okay. But I would just love to see the reaction across the internet if profiles were lost and especially TROPHY data. Oh, that would be so incredible.

Hex

Banned
snack said:
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/9/2011/04/21520eb6aaa4b61eefb560d4e9c449fb/original.jpg

People really know how to beat the funny right the hell out of things don't you?

SmithnCo

kinoki said:

How would that even work? PC games on PS3 with Valve getting all the money?

CrushDance said:
Speaking of which, I know some of you are saying that profile data will be okay. But I would just love to see the reaction across the internet if profiles were lost and especially TROPHY data. Oh, that would be so incredible.

Trophy data is also stored locally so I really doubt that would be a problem.

angelfly

kinoki said:
I've always wondered why neither PSN or XBLA include gifting. I for one would be happy.

FTH said:
eatin some cheese snacks

waitin for PSN to go back up

Surely most of you have some SP games you haven't finished? Playing those is probably better than F5'ing this thread and driving yourselves nuts :p

One thing that gets me about a lot of worry in this thread:
Who do you all bank through that your CC information being stolen by a security leak in a large company that would be easy to document and report to your bank.. has you so worried?
I'm with Wells Fargo and i know for a fact that if I were to login to my account tomorrow night and see 1 or 100 false charges on my card and immediately called my bank and explained said situation they would either refund said cash, stop payments on what they could and refund the rest or hold my entire account until they could send me a new card/account.
My money is the last thing i'm worried about. Just wanna play socom... tried the campaign last night and it is pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
SmithnCo said:
How would that even work? PC games on PS3 with Valve getting all the money?

Well, the GUI is Steam, management is Valve and the products are Sony's. A commision based system. At this point it seems like the best alternative.

alstein

kinoki said:
Well, the GUI is Steam, management is Valve and the products are Sony's. A commision based system. At this point it seems like the best alternative.

I think that would make sense for next-gen, not current gen.

Steam on consoles would be fine, then again, this is my last console gen. (I'm finding less reason to play consoles these days, the only thing I miss is online fighters- and those will be heading to PC as a genre soon)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Persona7 said:
How can you lose trophies when they are stored locally?

Worst case scenario you have to resync everything which could take a few minutes.

Ummm... it takes me 2+ hours easily to re-sync my trophies, first theres like 55+ crashes from 10% till 35%, then after the 60th+ time I get all my 4,345 Trophies with 68 platinums to show up (/.\;)

GraveRobberX.png

Yeah add 17 trophies + 1 platinum to that count total

bakeray

Blimblim said:
My original post was this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27341263&postcount=1244

You can easily replace the Credit Card part with the other hypothesis that they managed to reverse engineer a way to get free PSN points through the rebug CFW firmware. Though if it's the case then Sony's reaction is really excessive, unless this functionality is so deeply embedded into PSN they can't simply disable just that one (but then why also disable Qriocity?)
Not a hypothesis, dude. It's definitely been happening.

And Steamworks replacing PSN? Yeah, I'm sure they worked that deal out in 4 days. How do people even come up with this crap?

DiscoJer

Manji Silk Boss said:
One thing that gets me about a lot of worry in this thread:
Who do you all bank through that your CC information being stolen by a security leak in a large company that would be easy to document and report to your bank.. has you so worried?

Bank of America, in my case. I had my CC # stolen online a few years ago. While they reversed most of them, I had to fight about one of them, a charge to some sort of sex place (like a massage parlor) in Australia. Even though I am an American and never have visited there...

Not to mention, the hassle of changing over all your services (like say, Netflix or whatever) and waiting for the new card to arrive.

c'mon son(y)

quit being a jerk and fix the damn thing already.

thcsquad said:
I'm hoping for a free year of PS+ when this is all said and done.
Have fun with the half-hearted empty apology with lots of emphasis on the Playstation Ecosystem™.

We r so sowwie.

urkel.gif

DiscoJer said:
Bank of America, in my case. I had my CC # stolen online a few years ago. While they reversed most of them, I had to fight about one of them, a charge to some sort of sex place (like a massage parlor) in Australia. Even though I am an American and never have visited there...

Not to mention, the hassle of changing over all your services (like say, Netflix or whatever) and waiting for the new card to arrive.

Oh yea. definitely troublesome and a pain in the ass no doubt. i'm just not worried about my savings going down the drain or anything like that. At one point maybe 3 years ago my dad had a full on case of identity theft go down and within 3 weeks after talking to his bank and figuring out that it was actually going on they had everything straightened out... so i suppose what bank you have can definitely matter.
The biggest worry in most cases, to me, is that you usually don't realize shit has gone down until you're in the shit deep and climbing out is this incredibly long arduos process. Since tuesday night, when they shut shit down and then put up the "External intrusion" message i've been checking my accounts online like twice a day. Vigilance is key.

obonicus

chubigans said:
Im gonna say we're all getting three free months of Playstation Plus or something.

And then for the next 3 months only put out discounted games or restrict the free offerings to 2+ year old games.

Raoh said:
Predictions on when PSN Service will be restored?

Earliest: Tuesday April 26
Latest: Week of May 9
I predict Sunday with lots of Jesus gifs as celebration then the thread will be locked as if this never happened.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
What a disaster for Sony. Not going to make too big a deal about it since PSN is free but man, really screams amateur hour. And by the sound of their last update, seems it might be down for awhile longer. So glad I passed on buying SOCOM 4.

Dead Man

DiscoJer said:

Sorry about that, I just needed too relax a bit.

I was out all day, I must have really missed some shit. What's this' rebuilding the whole network' crap? Where did they say that, why do they have to, and any timetable? Fuck I just want to shoot Greg, is that so wrong.

MrDaravon

Bumblebeetuna said:
What a disaster for Sony. Not going to make too big a deal about it since PSN is free but man, really screams amateur hour. And by the sound of their last update, seems it might be down for awhile longer. So glad I passed on buying SOCOM 4.

Yeah, but it's particuarly bad that this has happened now with the release week of Mortal Kombat, Portal 2 with Steamworks (which was a big selling point) and Socom 4 releasing, AND it's a holiday weekend. If I was a primarily PS3 player or was into any of those three games online I'd be pretty goddamn pissed at this point.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
BobTheFork said:
I was out all day, I must have really missed some shit. What's this' rebuilding the whole network' crap? Where did they say that, why do they have to, and any timetable? Fuck I just want to shoot Greg, is that so wrong.

They had to buy new Lego sets to rebuild the PSN Network again. I'm guessing it's gonna take another few days to put it together.

Mikey Jr.

GraveRobberX said:
Ummm... it takes me 2+ hours easily to re-sync my trophies, first theres like 55+ crashes from 10% till 35%, then after the 60th+ time I get all my 4,345 Trophies with 68 platinums to show up (/.\;)

GraveRobberX.png

Yeah add 17 trophies + 1 platinum to that count total

If Sony announced that all trophies were reset back to 0, what would you do?

Wario64 said:
They had to buy new Lego sets to rebuild the PSN Network again. I'm guessing it's gonna take another few days to put it together.
They shut it off themselves right? to prevent a security failure? How the heck did we get to them rebuilding the whole thing...great scott!

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Mikey Jr. said:
If Sony announced that all trophies were reset back to 0, what would you do?

re-sync them since they are stored locally as well...

Dreohboy said:
Can Netflix and Hulu Plus still be used with the PS3 even though they took down PSN?

Netflix, yes.
Hulu Plus, no.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
BobTheFork said:
They shut it off themselves right? to prevent a security failure? How the heck did we get to them rebuilding the whole thing...great scott!

Well...things break

daffy

Banned
Professor Beef said:
Legos? I would've thought they'd be using Mega Bloks.
aaaahahaha

Phonomezer said:
Surely most of you have some SP games you haven't finished? Playing those is probably better than F5'ing this thread and driving yourselves nuts :p
True. Maybe I should play something instead of waiting for another VitaminApple to spawn here

Tron 2.0

Bumblebeetuna said:
Not for PSN+ members.

And Netflix works? Don't you have to be signed in to PSN?

And they're making it worse by not being more transparent.

Kagari said:
People expecting to receive something after PSN goes back up need a wake up call. Probably won't happen and even if it does it won't be anything special, so stop whining about it. You should be happy they already offer the service for free. Now if they charged monthly, I could see why those complaining would want something in return, as they wouldn't be able to use something they paid for.

Just wanted to pop in and say Riot gave away 350 RP points to all players for being down for 8 hours, and it's a free game.

<3

ZeroRay

As bad as these hackers are, Sony really screwed up this one. I can't speak on their security, but their PR is about as accurate as the pictures on this page are suggesting.

Tron 2.0 said:
Not for PSN+ members.

And Netflix works? Don't you have to be signed in to PSN?

And they're making it worse by not being more transparent.
PS+ members don't pay for PSN. They are paying for exclusive deals, early access to demos and beta invites.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
No one is demanding free stuff, but it would really help Sony gave something for the down time

"Good-Will Gesture"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom