• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jax said:
wtf arnold. So, you blabbed some BS and whatnot... and of course non of this can be verified. Should leave the "reportage" to websites. As is, I'm not taking you nor any of your posts seriously.

Sorry, you are completely right, what i am saying cannot be confirmed and i recomend to everyone to please not take my word for it. Thanks for the heads up, and i will step off this before something even worse can happen. Thanks for your advice and well, hopefully everything will be allright.

Tron 2.0 said:
That's not what you said.

You said Sony doesn't want to go public because of bad PR.

Please don´t misunderstand, i am just saying what my source told me, he politely told me that he thinks that SONY won´t go public, that is all.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Tron 2.0

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Please don´t misunderstand, i am just saying what my source told me, he politely told me that he thinks that SONY won´t go public, that is all.
They are compelled to by law.

baekshi

Banned
Tabris said:
I wonder what we'll get for free out of this. I don't play online games much on my PS3, so I'm kinda excited about this due to what we'll get for free.
A free update for inconvenience.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
BobTheFork said:
For some reason I envisioned them giving us the Red Cross donation themes for free, which would just be horrible.

Watch them troll us by giving us either .detuned or Linger in Shadows (Tech demos lol)
or if very sneaky a MINI

daffy

Banned
DailyVacation said:
First of all, thank you, arnoldocastillo2003 for this information. None of us would have known this otherwise. Even as a junior member, I'm glad I'm a part of this community.
Unconfirmed info as of now.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
  • Personal information: Name, Last Name, Address, Email, zip code, country.
  • Passwords of the users of PSN: he didn´t confirm this even though i ask him a lot.
  • Credit Cards Numbers: He confirm that the numbers were not compromised because the numbers are stored/protected/encrypted in a different way that the personal data (that is what he told me, he and I don´t know shit about computer programming so sorry for not giving specified details here).
  • Users Log History was retrieve (don´t know what that is).

That is all he gave me, well summarized at least.
I've already changed ALL my passwords a few months ago thanks to that Gawker's episode, so if this forces me to change them again, I'm gonna rage.

Are they obligated to warn the people with compromised personal information in a situation like this?

Jinfash said:
I've already changed ALL my passwords a few months ago thanks to that Gawker's episode, so if this forces me to change them again, I'm gonna rage.

Are they obligated to warn the people with compromised personal information in a situation like this?

Tron 2.0 has said that they are obligated by law to inform the users/consumers.

FTH said:
Unconfirmed info as of now.

True.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Tron 2.0 has said that they are obligated by law to inform the users/consumers.
Well as long as they give the affected people a heads up. Thanks for the update on the situation.

Jax said:
wtf arnold. So, you blabbed some BS and whatnot... and of course non of this can be verified. Should leave the "reportage" to websites. As is, I'm not taking you nor any of your posts seriously.
Didn't you read his fucking disclaimer? What part of "take it with a grain of salt/unconfirmed" do you not understand? Idiots all up in this thread left and right.

Jeramii

Banned
brentech said:
That's kind of the point of him calling it "my source". He got info from someone that works there....giving out a name would cost this person there job potentially.

only glanced over, didn't catch that.

• Personal information: Name, Last Name, Address, Email, zip code, country.
  • Passwords of the users of PSN: he didn´t confirm this even though i ask him a lot.
  • Credit Cards Numbers: He confirm that the numbers were not compromised because the numbers are stored/protected/encrypted in a different way that the personal data (that is what he told me, he and I don´t know shit about computer programming so sorry for not giving specified details here).
  • Users Log History was retrieve (don´t know what that is).

That is all he gave me, well summarized at least.

oh ok... thank you for confirming more information. hopefully this is the case.

So they pulled the plug on the CC info before there was even a remote chance of it being decrypted. Not bad. If they go public about this they should really hammer this point...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
IchigoSharingan said:
If they go public about this they should really hammer this point...

However, them getting peoples info and passwords is just as bad. They may have protected more important (read: CC) info, but they still didn't protect my name/address from being taken for a ride in identity theft.

Not that I'm that paranoid, but just saying: Getting peoples usernames, passwords, and their name and address is just as bad as the CC information being taken.

I swear to god if PSN's passwords system was compromised I'm going to be pissed. I gotta change five different accounts in different regions on the PSN stores in that case. Fuck. :/

Was this update from Sony posted? If so I apologize, just woke up.

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/24/latest-update-for-psnqriocity-services/

darkwing

IonicSnake said:
Was this update from Sony posted? If so I apologize, just woke up.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/24/latest-update-for-psnqriocity-services/

yup this is new, from the US Blog also

Latest Update for PSN/Qriocity Services
+ Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.
We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.[/quote]

more security, just have more patience

TheSeks said:
However, them getting peoples info and passwords is just as bad. They may have protected more important (read: CC) info, but they still didn't protect my name/address from being taken for a ride in identity theft.

Not that I'm that paranoid, but just saying: Getting peoples usernames, passwords, and their name and address is just as bad as the CC information being taken.

I swear to god if PSN's passwords system was compromised I'm going to be pissed. I gotta change five different accounts in different regions on the PSN stores in that case. Fuck. :/

Just a note, my source didn´t tell me nothing if passwords were retrieve, even though i ask him a lot, i do not informed this.

TheSeks

Just a note, my source didn´t tell me nothing if passwords were retrieve, even though i ask him a lot, i do not confirm this.

The information on file for billing (my name, address, birthday, zip-code) is bad enough. The password I use to login isn't important, but just icing on the shit layered cake.

has anyone purchased megaman maverick hunter or lunar off the psn store before? just wondering the MB/GB size since im currently on a limit :(

i would check the psn store but lolz

GenericUser

i dont want to lock my CC just because i bought once(!) from psn.

If the CC info is stolen, i hope sony is smart enough to make this public as soon as possible so that people can properly react. Bad publicity or not!

TheSeks

sponk said:
If the CC info is stolen, i hope sony is smart enough to make this public as soon as possible so that people can properly react. Bad publicity or not!

I really hope the personal information being stolen is bullshit. Because if it isn't, it's been nearly FIVE DAYS since the breach and that's bad form and PR for Sony to not let us know.

sponk said:
i dont want to lock my CC just because i bought once(!) from psn.

If that was the case, don´t you think that SONY would have already inform their users/consumers, and even a user from GAF (Tron 2.0) has confirm that if that was the case, SONY by law had to inform.

GenericUser

If that was the case, don´t you think that SONY would have already inform their users/consumers, and even a user from GAF (Tron 2.0) has confirm that if that was the case, SONY by law had to inform.

jeah, thats what common sense tells me too.

Kuraudo

Banned
If the CC info was stolen there'd be fraudulent transactions appearing on people's online banking by now. Hackers wouldn't wait four days before trying to use them, especially when Sony could alert users at any time so they can shut their cards down.

Ok guys, i am not tech-savy, but if you guys have enter the video of anonymous group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldtNivuSxoQ&feature=player_embedded One comment comes out that maybe someone on gaf can explain if it may be true or not.

The comment is:

"I know exactly what happened, so I'll explain it as clearly as possible.

Hackers corrupted Sony's PRS addresses and gained control of their processors. From there, they were able to maintain stability of the DNS servers and send a wide variety of attacks on Sony. When Sony found out they reverted their address malfunctions but were unable to obtain their QUI terms of services so they reduced their QRT processing down to 0% (No PSN) until further notice. Hope this helps! :)"

Alex

I'm pretty amused at how inept Sony is, so I'm getting a chuckle out of it. Luckily there's nothing new on PSP that I'd want to download off PSN and I don't play anything online on PS3 even when there is software I want, so I'm not bothered for the time being!

I'm somewhat fascinated on how long this is going on though and curious to see how long it KEEPS going.

Vagabundo

IchigoSharingan said:
So they pulled the plug on the CC info before there was even a remote chance of it being decrypted. Not bad. If they go public about this they should really hammer this point...

The hackers probably have the encrypted CC information. They will try and brute force them. Lets hope Sony was better at encrypting those files than they were their own PS3 FW.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ok guys, i am not tech-savy, but if you guys have enter the video of anonymous group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldtNivuSxoQ&feature=player_embedded One comment comes out that maybe someone on gaf can explain if it may be true or not.

The comment is:
That comment sounds like BS from someone who does not understand technology

The wording "maintain stability of their DNS servers" makes little to no sense.

Edit: almost all of that comment makes no sense.

Zeenbor

Just a note, my source didn´t tell me nothing if passwords were retrieve, even though i ask him a lot, i do not informed this.

My sources tell me you and your sources are bullshit.

Alex said:
I'm pretty amused at how inept Sony is, so I'm getting a chuckle out of it. Luckily there's nothing new on PSP that I'd want to download off PSN and I don't play anything online on PS3 even when there is software I want, so I'm not bothered for the time being!

I'm somewhat fascinated on how long this is going on though and curious to see how long it KEEPS going. It boggles the mind how the whole damn thing has been down THIS long.

Well, they are re-building it so they haven't just taken it down and are just sitting there looking at the red offline dot. :p

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The pure fact that psn is still down means something big went down. Being a security researcher myself, I am sure they have people working around the clock on getting everything up and running. Every minute they are down they are losing a lot of money(and spending a lot of money fixing it) so if they need to shut down for days on end then the feces must have hit the fan.

Think back at how many breaches take a site or a network down for days on end. Usually the cleanup is pretty quick. This was not a simple Denial of Service or rerouting user logins. Somebody must have penetrated the network did some serious data mining or destroying of internal infrastructure.

Being down to place new security measures in places seems like BS to me. You aren't going to redesign your security policies in 4 days unless you had been planning these changes all a long. I could(possibly) be wrong. My bet is that they are still doing forensics to determine the extent of the breach with hopes of getting a better profile of the attacker.

alphaNoid

Banned
dc89 said:
Man this is getting embarrassing now.
To be honest, from a security standpoint.. it was embarrassing to Sony after 5 minutes of downtime. Days upon days of system outages is the worst thing that could ever happen to PSN. Sony got their asses handed to them on a silver platter.

Resumes are being updated as we speak.

Norwegian Wood said:
You really think this is funny? Preventing millions of gamers from enjoying their online games is funny to you?

I'll chime in... I think its entertaining. Thats mainly because I manage large scale data center operations and over see certain parts of security layers. Seeing a company the size of Sony get attacked isn't something I root for by any means, but it is relevant to my interests, and entertaining. I'm in complete shock they've been offline for this long, its a catastrophic failure. If ever there were a time for popcorn.gif.. its right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom