• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun-drop

I think this is a perfect example of why hackers are suck irresponsible asshats. I mean even if iit isnt the first group whispered doing it this time ... did they spread around how they did it? Its like some one getting hold of some nuke codes and posting them on the net instead of quietly informing an authority about it. Its all about feeding egos and fame at the cost of us consumers.

Fuck you little turfs doing this.

My main hope is that Sony finds them and exposes them so some angry gamers can meat out some apropraite retribution

sun-drop said:
I think this is a perfect example of why hackers are suck irresponsible asshats. I mean even if iit isnt the first group whispered doing it this time ... did they spread around how they did it? Its like some one getting hold of some nuke codes and posting them on the net instead of quietly informing an authority about it. Its all about feeding egos and fame at the cost of us consumers.

Fuck you little turfs doing this.

My main hope is that Sony finds them and exposes them so some angry gamers can meat out some apropraite retribution

They probably won't be found. If they could damage Sony this bad, they probably covered their tracks. I don't think this is about ego or fame. They went for the money. They went after Sony AND us. These are not the same guys telling you how to CFW your PS3 or trying to get donations to get a particular homebrew project churning along. Geohot is an amateur compared to these guys. Geohot and company tried to avoid as many problems with the law in their exploits.

French said:
Wonder how many people in this thread don't even have a PS3.

Oh, the injustice of people commenting on news in the gaming world on a gaming forum!

Another quality post in the mountain of awesome that is this thread

Vagabundo

MThanded said:
The pure fact that psn is still down means something big went down. Being a security researcher myself, I am sure they have people working around the clock on getting everything up and running. Every minute they are down they are losing a lot of money(and spending a lot of money fixing it) so if they need to shut down for days on end then the feces must have hit the fan.

Think back at how many breaches take a site or a network down for days on end. Usually the cleanup is pretty quick. This was not a simple Denial of Service or rerouting user logins. Somebody must have penetrated the network did some serious data mining or destroying of internal infrastructure.

Being down to place new security measures in places seems like BS to me. You aren't going to redesign your security policies in 4 days unless you had been planning these changes all a long. I could(possibly) be wrong. My bet is that they are still doing forensics to determine the extent of the breach with hopes of getting a better profile of the attacker.

Of course. They are making sure the servers are clean. Trying to find everything the hackers touched. Collect evidence. Then reinstall from a known clean back-up and make sure everything is working from the back-up - could be a nightmare depending on how things were done. Close the original security holes. Run around aimlessly. Have meetings about it all. Tech people having meetings with the PR people who are having meeting with the management who are having meetings with the tech people. People shredding shit. Some people wheeling themselves through the office on their office chairs setting fire to their hair. General madness.

I've been through something similar.

With something the size of PSN it can be incredible time consuming to reboot the whole network from a clean backup.

jax (old)

Banned
IchigoSharingan said:
They probably won't be found. If they could damage Sony this bad, they probably covered their tracks. I don't think this is about ego or fame. They went for the money. They went after Sony AND us. These are not the same guys telling you how to CFW your PS3 or trying to get donations to get a particular homebrew project churning along.

well according to RT, the FBI issued 40 warrants for the wikileak visa attacks so I really doubt that the perpertators won't be found. If anything, it shows that anonymous, isn't that anonymous and that they can be tracked. so...

yeah.

This will be an interesting couple of weeks for sure.

IchigoSharingan said:
They probably won't be found. If they could damage Sony this bad, they probably covered their tracks. I don't think this is about ego or fame. They went for the money. They went after Sony AND us. These are not the same guys telling you how to CFW your PS3 or trying to get donations to get a particular homebrew project churning along. Geohot is an amateur compared to these guys. Geohot and company tried to avoid as many problems with the law in their exploits.

Holy fuck, so instead of trying to break bank security or just scam ppl in one of 2434354 more profitable ways, the BIG BAD BADASS hacking group went over user's PSN wallet money? Yes, that makes perfect sense.

French said:
Wonder how many people in this thread don't even have a PS3.

More than half, that's for sure.

P.S. Reading their latest comment:

"Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure."

I guess they are changing the way PSN encryption works. Hope they learn their lesson for future sake and secure the console's online services the way Microsoft has.

itxaka

Defeatist
Kuraudo said:
If the CC info was stolen there'd be fraudulent transactions appearing on people's online banking by now. Hackers wouldn't wait four days before trying to use them, especially when Sony could alert users at any time so they can shut their cards down.
It doesn't usually work like that. Normally after a cc theft they wait several months to use them, when the owners have forgotten about it and the source of the leak is more difficult to find.

Jax said:
well according to RT, the FBI issued 40 warrants for the wikileak visa attacks so I really doubt that the perpertators won't be found. If anything, it shows that anonymous, isn't that anonymous and that they can be tracked. so...

yeah.

Well Anon fucked up by being vocal, especially on 4chan. This attack seems alot more organized. I could be wrong, of course. It just seems like a much more thorough attack not built by emotion.

Nekofrog

Banned
Jax said:

yeah.

Wasn't that proven to be an old story with a rewritten headline just to get hits, and had no association with this story?

Castor Krieg said:
Holy fuck, so instead of trying to break bank security or just scam ppl in one of 2434354 more profitable ways, the BIG BAD BADASS hacking group went over user's PSN wallet money? Yes, that makes perfect sense.

Do you really think they only went after 'wallet' money, when they could datamine millions upon millions of credit cards?

Scamming and breaking bank security is not the big catch. Why break into a bank when you could hack the database that stores various banks' infos? And this fits perfectly as a target.

demolitio

jercruz said:
how? violence? hack them? sue them? voodoo dolls?

By rounding up all the hackers' games and giving them out to all of us. Redistribution of games! Then again, most of their games might be pirated...lol

demolitio said:
By rounding up all the hackers' games and giving them out to all of us. Redistribution of games! Then again, most of their games might be pirated...lol

uh oh, don't you go linking hackers with pirates now.

That would bring more rage into this thread.

itxaka said:
It doesn't usually work like that. Normally after a cc theft they wait several months to use them, when the owners have forgotten about it and the source of the leak is more difficult to find.

That doesn't even make sense. First of all, lot's of CC will expire. Second, doesn't matter if they make charge today or in 3 months - 99% of people will block their card seeing a purchase they know they didn't make.

Castor Krieg said:
That doesn't even make sense. First of all, lot's of CC will expire. Second, doesn't matter if they make charge today or in 3 months - 99% of people will block their card seeing a purchase they know they didn't make.

Yes it makes sense. You wait until people think nothing will come of what happened, rather than fuel the fire of panic. Too many companies allow you to use a credit card a bit too easily, and so most are left to deal with the card issuer over charges they will claim they didn't make.

It's all mind games at this point, in other words.

Think of it this way. If enough people were saying their cards on PSN were being charged right now in other parts of the world, many of us would flock to call our card issuers and cancel our cards. But if we wait 3 months, many of us will have forgotten and will be more easily caught offguard.

Slavik81

Castor Krieg said:
The point isn't to prevent people from noticing, it's to make it harder to track it back to the scammer that copied the CC information in the first place. Otherwise, a card skimmer would be caught real fast.

Of course, if they already know that the card's been compromised by a website leak or such, then it doesn't do any good.

I can't believe people are paid mad cash to design systems and whatnot while forgetting the most basic things(Hi random number) and failing spectacularly at surviving in the age of the internet. Where does Sony hire their employees from? I understand that everyone's human and mistakes are made. Even if you build the most secure system ever, you may forget something basic, I see my professors do it all the time in various classes where they overlook something by accident because they're focusing on higher level things. But you'd expect their to be an insane audit process and scrutinizing every line of code before commercializing a product. I sincerely hope there is a massive shakeup at Sony over this and this whole idea of "separate divisions" is brought to a screeching halt. They can't survive like this anymore. It's getting embarrassing for them on the world stage.

Ok guys now i know after reading this from a website (that i won´t post because its not a major website), things have gotten a little too far:

Like the strange coincidence of PSN going down the day after Portal 2 releases. Portal 2, after all, was the first game with Steam support. Even if Valve had no intentions of this happening, what's to stop us from believing that the PS3's connectivity to the PC through steam isn't to blame for this mishap. Mind you, there are other cross platform games avialable on the PS3, but Steam is the first third party platform to offer this feature for the console. Sony did say that the problem was brought about by an "external intrusion". So would it be that much of a long shot if Steam had something to do with this failure? Just something to keep in the back of your minds.

OMG i don´t even know if this is possible, can someone of GAF that uses STEAM please explain this, my mind cannot comprehend if this is even possible.

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Ok guys now i know after reading this from a website (that i won´t post because its not a major website), things have gotten a little too far:

OMG i don´t even know if this is possible, can someone of GAF that uses STEAM please explain this, my mind cannot comprehend if this is even possible.

Not possible. Steam on Portal 2 is the same as Konami Account on MGS4 or EA Account on EA Sports titles or Ubiplay account on Ubisoft titles.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know enough about this stuff, but in my uneducated opinion, it seems strange that Steam could have been built into PSN on such a level that it could be a pipeline through PSN's security. But again, I did have my Steam account hacked last year...

shagg_187 said:
Not possible. Steam on Portal 2 is the same as Konami Account on MGS4 or EA Account on EA Sports titles or Ubiplay account on Ubisoft titles.

My same thought correctly, for me steam is just like MGS Online, but just trying to confirm that i am not stupid, thanks a lot.

CrushDance said:
I can't believe people are paid mad cash to design systems and whatnot while forgetting the most basic things(Hi random number) and failing spectacularly at surviving in the age of the internet. Where does Sony hire their employees from? I understand that everyone's human and mistakes are made. Even if you build the most secure system ever, you may forget something basic, I see my professors do it all the time in various classes where they overlook something by accident because they're focusing on higher level things. But you'd expect their to be an insane audit process and scrutinizing every line of code before commercializing a product. I sincerely hope there is a massive shakeup at Sony over this and this whole idea of "separate divisions" is brought to a screeching halt. They can't survive like this anymore. It's getting embarrassing for them on the world stage.

I've read through this post 3 times, and I'm still not sure what failure you are talking about?

PR? key leak? not having a backup server for emergency? and exactly what does separate divisions have anything to do with this?

itxaka

Defeatist
Slavik81 said:
The point isn't to prevent people from noticing, it's to make it harder to track it back to the scammer that copied the CC information in the first place. Otherwise, a card skimmer would be caught real fast.

Of course, if they already know that the card's been compromised by a website leak or such, then it doesn't do any good.
Thanks for explaining it. I'm on my phone so it was a pain to post the whole thing.

demolitio

Dreamgazer said:
uh oh, don't you go linking hackers with pirates now.

That would bring more rage into this thread.
Probably true it'd bring more rage. Not talking about the hackers that "hack" their PS3 for homebrew and stuff, but I meant the type of people that would attempt to breach PSN's security and cause a lot of havoc. My bad and didn't mean to cause any more problems in this already crazy thread.

itxaka

Defeatist
arnoldocastillo2003 said:

A network penetration asbig as this takes way more time in order to be executed. Could be linked but I would say there is a 95% chance of not having anything to do with it

Dreamgazer said:
I've read through this post 3 times, and I'm still not sure what failure you are talking about?

PR? key leak? not having a backup server for emergency? and exactly what does separate divisions have anything to do with this?
All their recent failures. From rootkits to random numbers and so on. Laggy PSN since day 1 with slow download speeds, cross game chat that has never surfaced, I could go on forever. They don't seem like they know what they're doing as a company. I always viewed Sony as a high tech, front runner type of company. Not trying to play catch up :/

I'm very angry that I can't access the PSN for almost one week now but even if hackers could have chosen another target I don't think that there purpose is to cut the access of the PSN for the players. This is just a consequence. All they wanted is to have the maximum of audience so they can pass their message. The thing is that Sony have a very poor security level on the PSN so they could turn it on for almost two days now but they decide to rebuild it... ok good thing for the next intrusion tentatives but why nobody says that it just should have been more protected from the start.

Sony have a lot of credit cards data and lots of personal information so what bothering me is that if the hackers where that bad they could just try to take all this. But they didn't (or they didn't succeed but with the different messages they posted I believe that it's more that they didn't want to).

Sony, please repair the PSN and strengthen your security. Hackers, I think Sony receive your message but even if this is making a lot of noise on the Internet I don't think that it will make Sony change their mind. They'll just use this as an excuse to say that hackers are the bad persons here. They won't say Sony = bastards who don't wan't homebrew and who are removing from the start included features ; they'll say hackers = bastards who broke the PSN.

I'm more moderated than a lot of people here who seems to have the urge to choose a side or a winner/loser.

I just want to raise my finger at Sony because they deserve to understand a way or another that they MUST listen to their clients complaints and demands (even if they don't make everything possible they should consider some demands more than some others and a least give a decent explanation).

I just want to put a clap gif for the hackers because it's no easy to put the PSN down and a popcorn gif because it's already a pitiful show I'm seeing on the Internet with all the backslash they're having... not counting that they could have problems way more important than Geohot because they just broke something. Geohot tried to make the PS3 more appealing, more interesting, more open for possibilities...

bakeray

You guys can say whatever you want about the hackers but for a company the size of Sony with the type of networks they have to be vulnerable to an attack of this magnitude is a complete joke. Between this and the poor encryption methods that were discovered recently Sony has really showed how bad they are at implementing standard security measures over the course of the last 12 months. I think it's hilarious personally, they messed with the bull and they got the horns -- get some better engineers.

Raide

First rule of Community interaction...you have to tell them something! Even if its small, you have to keep people updated. This is a pretty bad show for Sony and I feel sad for PSN users. Other than something about Hackers, they have not really been told what is going on.

bakeray said:
You guys can say whatever you want about the hackers but for a company the size of Sony with the type of networks they have to be vulnerable to an attack of this magnitude is a complete joke. Between this and the poor encryption methods that were discovered recently Sony has really showed how bad they are at implementing standard security measures over the course of the last 12 months. I think it's hilarious personally, they messed with the bull and they got the horns -- get some better engineers.
Raide said:
First rule of Community interaction...you have to tell them something! Even if its small, you have to keep people updated. This is a pretty bad show for Sony and I feel sad for PSN users. Other than something about Hackers, they have not really been told what is going on.

Hammer, meet nail. It's like they finally...er...hopefully woke up now to the modern world.

DailyVacation

Neo Member
Raide said:

We've been getting updates every day and a half thus far. I think it's acceptable at this point, but it was a bit concerning getting radio silence past the one day mark.

daffy

Banned
PSN is a free service that constantly has to strive to meet the feature list of a paid service from the closet competitor. What are you guys expecting PSN to be? Xbox Live?

Xbox Live makes a ton of money from itself, PSN not nearly as much. PSN Plus is no where near close to matching what Microsoft has been getting from XBL Gold.

I'm not complaining about a free service's shortcomings, so if it goes down for a week then hey, I just have to wait and bear it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
AnEternalEnigma said:
El Presador weighs in on this debacle!

SONY LEFT YOU NO CHOICE
seinfeld.gif

zoukka said:
Is it SCEJ which dictates when and what info is given to all regions?
Pretty sure all the firmware stuff is done solely in Japan and major announcements of hardware or changes come from there as well. I just want them to open up a little more.

FTH said:
PSN is a free service that constantly has to strive to meet the feature list of a paid service from the closet competitor. What are you guys expecting PSN to be? Xbox Live?

Xbox Live makes a ton of money from itself, PSN not nearly as much. PSN Plus is no where near close to matching what Microsoft has been getting from XBL Gold.

I'm not complaining about a free service's shortcomings, so if it goes down for a week then hey, I just have to wait and bear it.
I honestly don't care that PSN is down. I was holding off on trying Portal 2 till this weekend anyway and barely use my PS3 anymore. What many of us are saying though is that it's rather insane that a big company like Sony can be taken down so easily and have such poor communication. Not even with just this, but in general with their community in the age of social integration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom