• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 Results: $312 Million Loss

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
How do you not get that I'm saying all this to state a potential price cut has probably been cancelled or reduced due to the prediction and sony's (not mine) explanation?

How much do you think Yen has rised comparing to Euro? 100%?

Jan 0.010078
Feb 0.009613
Mar 0.009178
Apr 0.009346
May 0.009810
Jun 0.010054
Jul 0.010299

Dalthien

How do you not get that I'm saying all this to state a potential price cut has probably been cancelled or reduced due to the prediction and sony's (not mine) explanation?

Several people have already tried to help explain it to you - but you seem dead set on believing that Vita's problems all relate to exchange rates - so have at it.

Sony could have dropped the price to $150 with memory card and game bundled in this autumn, and they still weren't going to come close to 16M this year. They sold 600k Vita (to consumers) this quarter. 600k for the ENTIRE quarter. A quarter that was only a month removed from launch for 80% of the gaming world. Let that sink in for a bit before you start trying to come up with reasons outside of Sony's control for the failure of the Vita up to this point.

Sony expected the Vita to come out of the gates MUCH stronger than it has actually done at the $250 price point.

Mario007

How much do you think Yen has rised comparing to Euro? 100%?

Jan 0.010078
Feb 0.009613
Mar 0.009178
Apr 0.009346
May 0.009810
Jun 0.010054
Jul 0.010299

See this would have been a nice reply to start off with. Seeing that i can only speculate why sony would cite it as the sole reason for cutting the prediction. Maybe they thought it was gonna get better? I don't know and never argued that I did nor was i defending vita's performance. I'm only inferring and speculating based on what they said.

Several people have already tried to help explain it to you - but you seem dead set on believing that Vita's problems all relate to exchange rates - so have at it.

Sony could have dropped the price to $150 with memory card and game bundled in, and they still weren't going to come close to 16M this year. They sold 600k Vita (to consumers) this quarter. 600k for the ENTIRE quarter. Let that sink in for a bit before you start trying to come up with reasons outside of Sony's control for the failure of the Vita up to this point.
With a 100 euro price cut, ie taking off more than a third of the price would bring them to 10mil Vitas. Also a price cut is fully within sonys control. Lastly though as I've stated above I'm not defending sony but speculating.

With a 100 euro price cut, ie taking off more than a third of the price would bring them to 10mil Vitas. Also a price cut is fully within sonys control. Lastly though as I've stated above I'm not defending sony but speculating.

They need more than a price cut. They need games for the thing. Sure, a price cut would give it a good bump, but after like a few weeks, we'll see the device go back to the same low numbers all over again.

Mario007

They need more than a price cut. They need games for the thing. Sure, a price cut would give it a good bump, but after like a few weeks, we'll see the device go back to the same low numbers all over again.
And this is where opinion comes in, I'd argue that it has a better fall line up than 3DS and I own a 3DS and dont own a Vita. However thats irrelevant because 3DS is 90 euro plus memory card cheaper. Vita has great games coming out bit they still don't justify paying 250 plus memory card for it. 3DS has less stellar games coming out but they do justify paying only 160 for it

Dalthien

With a 100 euro price cut, ie taking off more than a third of the price would bring them to 10mil Vitas. Also a price cut is fully within sonys control.

Then why even keep going on about the exchange rate causing Sony to give up on its plans for a price cut? You're right - a price cut is fully within Sony's control - regardless of the exchange rate.

And a 100$ price cut might be able to get Vita to 10M units, but it would kill the PSP, which is (was) also supposed to sell 6M units (which was never going to happen either). So yeah, now you got Vita up to 10M for the year, but you've killed off the PSP at 2M for the year, and you're still well short of 16M.

I was going to say that's all just speculation anyway - but really, if Sony is serious about trying to save the Vita and give it a real market presence, then they're going to have to take a drastic action like that soon anyway.

But will they? They cared enough about PS3 to eat massive losses on it to try and save it. Personally, I just don't think they care enough about Vita to drop it $100 within the next couple months to try to save it. You might see a $50 drop, which would actually be the worst of both worlds. It would cause Sony to eat losses, but wouldn't be drastic enough to do much for the ultimate fortunes of the device. Or maybe they go somewhere in between and match Nintendo's $80 price drop.

Whatever they do, it has to be soon, because retailers are beginning to get all their holiday inventory plans in place as we speak (which is why Nintendo dropped the price when they did in August). If Sony waits too long, retailers will already have their shelf space allocated for the holidays, and the price drop won't matter, because Vita will be in small supply at retail anyway for the holidays.

Gemüsepizza;40621571 said:
That comparison really makes sense, considering the PSP and Wii were released on the same day.
They were not
Hey, bitch to Mario007 then, he's the one who made the original comparison.

You are greatly exaggerating. The Vita will get unique games of some IPs, I don't think some old ports for the Wii U "shit" all over this. And there is even a chance that FIFA 13 for Vita has more advanced tech inside than FIFA 13 for Wii U, which is supposedly based on FIFA 12.
I'm not exaggering in the least, Wii U's holiday lineup kills Vita's, both with ports and original games. Also Madden seems to be the gimped Wii U port this year, not FIFA. Same for Vita actially.

As of now, Vita pretty easily has the worst upcoming lineup of the 5 "current" platforms (360, PS3, 3DS, Vita, Wii U).

I don't like OOT, I would prefer an Uncharted: Golden Abyss anyday over it. Guess what: Different people have different preferences.
Sure, and some people preferred Ghost Recon Shadow Wars or SSF4 or RE Mercenaries or DOA Dimensions or various other games at 3DS launch window. Thanks for injecting the subjectivity argument needlessly for the thousandth time.

Mario007

Then why even keep going on about the exchange rate causing Sony to give up on its plans for a price cut? You're right - a price cut is fully within Sony's control - regardless of the exchange rate.

And a 100$ price cut might be able to get Vita to 10M units, but it would kill the PSP, which is (was) also supposed to sell 6M units (which was never going to happen either). So yeah, now you got Vita up to 10M for the year, but you've killed off the PSP at 2M for the year, and you're still well short of 16M.

I was going to say that's all just speculation anyway - but really, if Sony is serious about trying to save the Vita and give it a real market presence, then they're going to have to take a drastic action like that soon anyway.

But will they? They cared enough about PS3 to eat massive losses on it to try and save it. Personally, I just don't think they care enough about Vita to drop it $100 within the next couple months to try to save it. You might see a $50 drop, which would actually be the worst of both worlds. It would cause Sony to eat losses, but wouldn't be drastic enough to do much for the ultimate fortunes of the device. Or maybe they go somewhere in between and match Nintendo's $80 price drop.

Whatever they do, it has to be soon, because retailers are beginning to get all their holiday inventory plans in place as we speak (which is why Nintendo dropped the price when they did in August). If Sony waits too long, retailers will already have their shelf space allocated for the holidays, and the price drop won't matter, because Vita will be in small supply at retail anyway for the holidays.

I've only been saying that Sony attributed the cut to exchange rates. Which then led me to believe that Sony has probably decided to go against their price-cut plans. However there could be another reason, simply that this quarter was much worse than Sony expected and price-cut is still happening. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Also a 100 euro price cut to 150 with PSP Street only being manufactured could bring you those 12 million units if the price cut was to happen at Gamescon or aroun then. A 50 euro price cut wouldn't eat into their profit, I think. Using off the shelf smartphone components I'd say that they can afford to drop 50 euro 9 months after the system launch. This is what happens to most smartphones as well.

I've actually apologised about this on the last page ;)

I'm not exaggering in the least, Wii U's holiday lineup kills Vita's, both with ports and original games. Also Madden seems to be the gimped Wii U port this year, not FIFA. Same for Vita actially.

As of now, Vita pretty easily has the worst lineup of the 5 "current" platforms (360, PS3, 3DS, Vita, Wii U).

As a potential Wii U buyer (because of DQX) I have to disagree. Ports of games released 1 year or half a year before on different consoles doe not constitute stellar line-up. Now the platinum games project seems pretty cool but that's about the only new IP that seems exciting for the Wii U.

3DS's line-up is also considerably weaker than Vita's (again speaking as a 3DS owner and someone who doesn't have Vita and will not have Vita until at least next summer).

Sure, and some people preferred Ghost Recon Shadow Wars or SSF4 or RE Mercenaries or DOA Dimensions or various other games at 3DS launch window. Thanks for injecting the subjectivity argument needlessly for the thousandth time.

You brought it up when you mentioned OoT to be a more compelling and system driving game than U:GA.

Dalthien

Also a 100 euro price cut to 150 with PSP Street only being manufactured could bring you those 12 million units if the price cut was to happen at Gamescon or aroun then. A 50 euro price cut wouldn't eat into their profit, I think. Using off the shelf smartphone components I'd say that they can afford to drop 50 euro 9 months after the system launch. This is what happens to most smartphones as well.

Yeah, a price drop to 150 might get you to 12M (Vita + PSP) for the year, depending on the timing of drop and how aggressive Sony was with promoting it. But that's not what you were saying. You were saying that Sony dropped the forecast from 16M to 12M because they were going to hold off on their planned price drop due to exchange rates.

Now you have them going ahead with a full $100 price drop, and even with such a massive drop, they're only hitting the reduced 12M target anyway.

Those are two very different scenarios. :)

And the gaming division just lost $45M from Apr-June. There's no chance in hell that the cost of the Vita (cost to Sony) will drop $50 from June to August - so yeah, it would absolutely cut into their profits (add to losses). Although at this point, Vita's sales are so low that it's really not playing much of a role in their finances one way or the other anyway on a quarterly basis. But that's something that's going to have to happen anyway if they really want the Vita to have a significant role in the marketplace.

Mario007

That makes GT5's numbers seem pretty bad in comparison. Like someone said the series really collapsed in Japan and America.

What?

Last time we got GT's sales update was December last year if i remember correctly so the GT5's numbers are probably around 8-8.5 million now.

As a 3DS owner there is nothing in the 3DS line up that would interest me at all and I would argue, with subjectivity of course, that Assassin's Creed, Soul Sacrifice, LittleBigPlanet, PlayStation All-Stars and Call of Duty are bigger titles than what is launching on the 3DS for Christmas.

Yeah, a price drop to 150 might get you to 12M (Vita + PSP) for the year, depending on the timing of drop and how aggressive Sony was with promoting it. But that's not what you were saying. You were saying that Sony dropped the forecast from 16M to 12M because they were going to hold off on their planned price drop due to exchange rates.

Now you have them going ahead with a full $100 price drop, and even with such a massive drop, they're only hitting the reduced 12M target anyway.

Those are two very different scenarios. :)

And the gaming division just lost $45M from Apr-June. There's no chance in hell that the cost of the Vita (cost to Sony) will drop $50 from June to August - so yeah, it would absolutely cut into their profits (add to losses).

I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying that Sony cut their forecast citing exchange rates troubles. That led me to speculate that probably a price-cut was planned and has probably been reduced in value. The theory about a 100 euro price drop is my pure conjuncture, on the other hand without any basis behind it at all. To be honest I don't know how Sony is going to get to 8 million Vitas and 4 million PSPs (I'm expecting this sort of a breakdown) but I wish they do, as a gamer. I don't want to see a machine whose hardware is brilliantly done and has a lot of potential to fail.

AniHawk

As a 3DS owner there is nothing in the 3DS line up that would interest me at all and I would argue, with subjectivity of course, that Assassin's Creed, Soul Sacrifice, LittleBigPlanet, PlayStation All-Stars and Call of Duty are bigger titles than what is launching on the 3DS for Christmas.

you're getting virtue's last reward, right?

edit: this got me curious as to what's coming out for the rest of the year on the 3ds. only ones that interest me on any level are:

virtue's last reward (and everyone with a current-gen handheld can enjoy it!)
luigi's mansion 2
nsmb2
paper mario
epic mickey
castlevania

not really sold on castlevania or luigi's mansion 2 though. castlevania seems more like the prince of persia remake than anything. and the load times on that thing. :\ and luigi's mansion 2 is the sequel to luigi's mansion so ehhhhhh

Taurus

And this is where opinion comes in, I'd argue that it has a better fall line up than 3DS and I own a 3DS and dont own a Vita. However thats irrelevant because 3DS is 90 euro plus memory card cheaper. Vita has great games coming out bit they still don't justify paying 250 plus memory card for it. 3DS has less stellar games coming out but they do justify paying only 160 for it
Yup, that's an opinion alright. But as you can see, your opinion is definitely in minority. In fact, I think you are only one who thinks so. Well, maybe michaelius too. :)

Mario007

Yup, that's an opinion alright. But as you can see, your opinion is definitely in minority. In fact, I think you are only one who thinks so. Well, maybe michaelius too. :)

What does the 3DS have actually? All I can think of is Luigi's Mansion, Casltevania and Epic Mickey?

Assassin's Creed, Soul Sacrifice, LittleBigPlanet, PlayStation All-Stars and Call of Duty

I would bet Paper Mario alone is bigger than all of these. Of those I am interested in Assassin's Creed and Soul Sacrifice but I'm not even sure SS will be out this year in NA. PS All Stars will be bought for my PS3 and we know absolutely nothing about Call of DUty. And Assassin's Creed is coming out the same day as 3 meaning if I do have a Vita by then it would be waiting for a long while.
virtue's last reward (and everyone with a current-gen handheld can enjoy it!)
luigi's mansion 2
nsmb2
paper mario
epic mickey
castlevania

There's also Code of Princess and more possible localizations for Japanese games like Dragon Quest and Rune Factory.

Mario007

Paper Mario: Sticker Star alone decimates the upcoming Vita lineup.

That's just me though.

I would bet Paper Mario alone is bigger than all of these. Of those I am interested in Assassin's Creed and Soul Sacrifice but I'm not even sure SS will be out this year in NA. PS All Stars will be bought for my PS3 and we know absolutely nothing about Call of DUty.

See and Paper Mario does nothing for me and just looking at the trailers Assassin's Creed, for me, blows it out of the water. But as I've said these are just opinions. I'm not big into nintendo's franchises, I haven't grown up with them and neither am I young enough to be thrilled by them (talking about Kirby and Mario here). But then again I guess lots of people who have the 3DS love Nintendo franchises and so good for them.

AniHawk

There's also Code of Princess and more possible localizations for Japanese games like Dragon Quest and Rune Factory.

code of princess was kinda meh (visuals are nice though). never really cared for dragon quest monsters, but a friend of mine loved the original in middle school, so maybe a remake would be the best time to get into it.

never played rune factory either.

I will say the Vita lineup is damn good for it's first year. I just worry about the support after that. All the games coming out this year were in development far before the system even came out. Next year (or TGS) is when we will start seeing the effects of Vita's abysmal sales on the software lineup. For this reason, I want to wait to see what the future looks like.

Mario007

I will say the Vita lineup is damn good for it's first year. I just worry about the support after that. All the games coming out this year were in development far before the system even came out. Next year (or TGS) is when we will start seeing the effects of Vita's abysmal sales on the software lineup. For this reason, I want to wait to see what the future looks like.

I actually agree with you on the point of next year. All we really have is FF X HD, Killzone, PSO 2 and MM's new IP. With TGS said to be Vita heavy by Sony we can guess a few more titles are in the development in Japan. For GC there is said to be one unannounced Vita title which is also good, but nothing stellar. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I actually agree with you on the point of next year. All we really have is FF X HD, Killzone, PSO 2 and MM's new IP. With TGS said to be Vita heavy by Sony we can guess a few more titles are in the development in Japan. For GC there is said to be one unannounced Vita title which is also good, but nothing stellar. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I dont agree'

Ive been completely underwhelmed aside from gravity rush

As a potential Wii U buyer (because of DQX) I have to disagree. Ports of games released 1 year or half a year before on different consoles doe not constitute stellar line-up.
Well fortunately Wii U also has equal parts concurrent or recent ports (Darksiders II, TTT2, Sonic Racing Transformed, FIFA 13, AssCreed III, Blops 2, PES2013, F1 Race Stars, Just Dance 4, etc, etc) and original stuff (NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, ZombiU, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Lego City, Nintendo Land, etc, etc).

I do find it somewhat hilarious a Vita cheerleader would decry Wii U as having just "old ports". What color's your kettle?

3DS's line-up is also considerably weaker than Vita's (again speaking as a 3DS owner and someone who doesn't have Vita and will not have Vita until at least next summer).
I'd say it's not even close. Luigi's Mansion 2, Layton 5, Paper Mario 3, Castlevania MOF, PES2013, Sonic Racing Transformed, Super Scribblenauts, Epic Mickey POI, Code of Princess, Virtue's Last Reward, New Art Academy, Adventure Time, Harvest Moon ANB, plus a ton of eShop stuff... once MH3G gets announced it becomes a total slaughter. :3

Both 3DS and Wii U trump Vita from almost every angle really.

You brought it up when you mentioned OoT to be a more compelling and system driving game than U:GA.
You brought it up actually when you mentioned OOT being the most compelling 3DS launch window game. That's where objectivity went out the window in this particular exchange, not starting with me.

See and Paper Mario does nothing for me and just looking at the trailers Assassin's Creed, for me, blows it out of the water. But as I've said these are just opinions. I'm not big into nintendo's franchises, I haven't grown up with them and neither am I young enough to be thrilled by them (talking about Kirby and Mario here). But then again I guess lots of people who have the 3DS love Nintendo franchises and so good for them.

Mario007
My name is Mario, no relation

test_account

XP-39C²
To be fair, if one continue the conversation, it is on both parties. In this case it would be enough to say "that is subjective" and that discussion would have ended right there. I dont mind discussion around it though, but i just wanted to say that it takes at least two to discuss :)

Mario007
My name is Mario, no relation
His real name is Mario (he mentioned it a while ago in another thread).

goomba

Banned

It's so ironic because your name is Mario :)

eastmen

Banned
I have a 3g vita + 32 gig memory card + uncharted + case + cradle + extra cable and its ghost armored .

Prices have dropped like a rock as I've been trying to sell it for over a month and its not moving at $325 for the bundle.

Zen

Banned
Again, unless you count side games they made outside of the main series which obviously you are since each numbered GT has been selling less for years now and is only declining.

Prologue is GT5, it's a glorified paid demo for GT5 based on what they had presentable at the time. It also harmed the brand in my opinion but that's neither here nor there. The official release has probably neared 8-8.5 million at this point, and the differences between GT4 Prologue/release couldn't be more extreme, but GT as a brand is certainly still relevant outside of Europe.

Is that including Prologue?

Series LTD as in hundreds as of December 2011

Code:
[b]Title 	 	 	  	 LTD[/b]
Gran Turismo 	 	 	10,850
Gran Turismo 2 	 	 	 9,370
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 	 	14,890
Gran Turismo Concept Series 	 1,560
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 	 1,400
Gran Turismo 4 	 	 	11,440
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 	 5,340
Gran Turismo PSP 	 	 3,610
Gran Turismo 5 	 	 	 7,430
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Brofist

GT is obviously a series in decline, that's fact. It'll never reach GT3 in popularity, but I think it'll always be a profitable series, even if it settles in to about 5 million sold per release.

They really need to work on getting them out more frequently though. No excuse for not being able to get 2 PS3 releases in this gen (demos aside). I'm going to go out on a limb and say they should streamline the games a bit too. No point in going after sheer number of cars anymore, half the number would be fine if it was more unique cars. And all "premium" quality at that.

GT is obviously a series in decline, that's fact. It'll never reach GT3 in popularity, but I think it'll always be a profitable series, even if it settles in to about 5 million sold per release.

Decline? Lol. It has been less time on the market than other GT. Of course it won´t reach GT3. That game was bundled heavily. Decline. LOL.

They really need to work on getting them out more frequently though. No excuse for not being able to get 2 PS3 releases in this gen (demos aside). I'm going to go out on a limb and say they should streamline the games a bit too. No point in going after sheer number of cars anymore, half the number would be fine if it was more unique cars. And all "premium" quality at that.

Thats not a fact, on what do you base this? GT3 was bundled for a very long time.

a couple of things:

-Looks like the PS3 won MS FY

Microsoft’s Fiscal Year - Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
Console  Jl-Sp'11  Oc-Dc'11   Ja-Mr'12   Ap-Jn'12   Jl'11-Jn'12        
--------------------------------------------------------------------
  PS3      3.7       6.5        1.9         ?     12.1 + Ap - Jn'12 

360      2.3       8.2        1.4        1.1        13.0 

Wii      1.79      5.61       0.88       0.71       8.99    

PS2      1.2       0.9        0.6         ?      2.7 + Ap - Jn'12 

Console  Jl-Sp'10  Oc-Dc'10   Ja-Mr'11   Ap-Jn'11   Jl'10-Jn'11        
  PS3      3.5       6.3        2.1        1.8        13.7   

Wii      1.93      8.75       1.36       1.56       13.60    

360      2.8       6.3        2.7        1.7        13.5--(13.7 according to MS)     

PS2      1.5       2.1        1.2        1.4        6.2     

Console  Jl-Sp'09  Oc-Dc'09   Ja-Mr'10   Ap-Jn'10   Jl'09-Jn'10         
  Wii      3.53      11.30      3.48       3.04       21.35    

PS3      3.2       6.5        2.2        2.4        14.3   

360      2.1       5.2        1.5        1.5        10.3    

PS2      1.9       2.1        1.7        1.6        7.3     

-Microsoft's Fiscal Year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30

-Sources: Sony,Nintendo,Microsoft (Sell-in Numbers)

-Microsoft and Nintendo can't survive without strong NPD sales

First Half of 2012 - Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
Console      Ja-Mr'12    Ap-Jn'12    First Half'12         
PS3/PS2        2.5         2.8           5.3          

360            1.4         1.1           2.5         

Wii            0.88        0.71          1.59            

360/Wii        2.28        1.81          4.09             

-Sources: Sony,Nintendo,Microsoft (Sell-in Numbers)

PS3 was a huge loss exercise, was not selling, had lost all the third party support and sony did not abandon it but thought of creative ways to bring PS3 back and now it probably stands a good chance of surpassing the 100mil units sold mark in the future.
Way beyond that. The PS1 is an easy target.It's unfair because the emerging markets are way bigger now and the PS3 is already #1.

What the PS2 has done for the PS3 since 2006 has been incredible. The PS2 completely destroyed the Wii in the emerging markets,and the Xbox 360 in Continental Europe, kept the PlayStation brand alive and relevant,and generated profits when the PS3 was vulnerable and weak.

The PS3 will eventually overtake the Wii.In a few years people will realize that the PS2 won the sixth and the seventh generation of consoles.

What the PS2 has done for the PS3 since 2006 has been incredible. The PS2 completely destroyed the Wii in the emerging markets,and the Xbox 360 in Continental Europe, kept the PlayStation brand alive and relevant,and generated profits when the PS3 was vulnerable and weak.

Lets hope PS3 shows the same legs of PS2 well into the next gen.

SkylineRKR

Well, if only Sony would just release a DVD PS3 w/o cell back then... and on time, like, at almost the same day as the 360.. at the same price.. would they've hold on to their leadership position? Would the Wii, set to release about a year afterward, become the success it turned out to be?

The thing is that HD gaming was very expensive, and not viable for a lot of households. It was not a good time, consoles almost forced the gamer to buy a HDTV. Crappy ass 720p sets for over 1000 bucks.

Top Bottom