• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 Results: $312 Million Loss

Bruno MB

Way beyond that. The PS1 is an easy target.It's unfair because the emerging markets are way bigger now and the PS3 is already #1.

What the PS2 has done for the PS3 since 2006 has been incredible. The PS2 completely destroyed the Wii in the emerging markets,and the Xbox 360 in Continental Europe, kept the PlayStation brand alive and relevant,and generated profits when the PS3 was vulnerable and weak.

The PS3 will eventually overtake the Wii.In a few years people will realize that the PS2 won the sixth and the seventh generation of consoles.

You're really outdoing yourself lately.

onQ123

Well, if only Sony would just release a DVD PS3 w/o cell back then... and on time, like, at almost the same day as the 360.. at the same price.. would they've hold on to their leadership position? Would the Wii, set to release about a year afterward, become the success it turned out to be?

The thing is that HD gaming was very expensive, and not viable for a lot of households. It was not a good time, consoles almost forced the gamer to buy a HDTV. Crappy ass 720p sets for over 1000 bucks.

they did the right thing, they made Blu-Ray the Standard HD disc format & still have a chance at reaching 100 million.

Triple U

Banned
a couple of things:

-Looks like the PS3 won MS FY

Microsoft’s Fiscal Year - Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
Console  Jl-Sp'11  Oc-Dc'11   Ja-Mr'12   Ap-Jn'12   Jl'11-Jn'12        
--------------------------------------------------------------------
  PS3      3.7       6.5        1.9         ?     12.1 + Ap - Jn'12 

360      2.3       8.2        1.4        1.1        13.0 

Wii      1.79      5.61       0.88       0.71       8.99    

PS2      1.2       0.9        0.6        0.0        2.7     

Console  Jl-Sp'10  Oc-Dc'10   Ja-Mr'11   Ap-Jn'11   Jl'10-Jn'11        
  PS3      3.5       6.3        2.1        1.8        13.7   

Wii      1.93      8.75       1.36       1.56       13.60    

360      2.8       6.3        2.7        1.7        13.5--(13.7 according to MS)     

PS2      1.5       2.1        1.2        1.4        6.2     

Console  Jl-Sp'09  Oc-Dc'09   Ja-Mr'10   Ap-Jn'10   Jl'09-Jn'10         
  Wii      3.53      11.30      3.48       3.04       21.35    

PS3      3.2       6.5        2.2        2.4        14.3   

360      2.1       5.2        1.5        1.5        10.3    

PS2      1.9       2.1        1.7        1.6        7.3     

-Microsoft's Fiscal Year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30

-Sources: Sony,Nintendo,Microsoft (Sell-in Numbers)

-Microsoft and Nintendo can't survive without strong NPD sales

First Half of 2012 - Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
Console      Ja-Mr'12    Ap-Jn'12    First Half'12         
PS3/PS2        2.5         2.8           5.3          

360            1.4         1.1           2.5         

Wii            0.88        0.71          1.59            

360/Wii        2.28        1.81          4.09             

-Sources: Sony,Nintendo,Microsoft (Sell-in Numbers)

Way beyond that. The PS1 is an easy target.It's unfair because the emerging markets are way bigger now and the PS3 is already #1.

What the PS2 has done for the PS3 since 2006 has been incredible. The PS2 completely destroyed the Wii in the emerging markets,and the Xbox 360 in Continental Europe, kept the PlayStation brand alive and relevant,and generated profits when the PS3 was vulnerable and weak.

The PS3 will eventually overtake the Wii.In a few years people will realize that the PS2 won the sixth and the seventh generation of consoles.
PS3 won Sony's FY also(even though your chart has it way to close to be anything significant). Guess its safe to say that PS3 was the best selling console of last year, at the highest price. It kills me when people say that the PS3 isn't doing well when all they look at is NPD numbers.

Anyway this upcoming price drop should do wonders for Sony. Catching the Wii looks like a real possibility for both MS/Sony in the next couple years. I can see Wii sales completely evaporating in the next year or so.

Brofist

Decline? Lol. It has been less time on the market than other GT. Of course it won´t reach GT3. That game was bundled heavily. Decline. LOL.

What's there to laugh about, it sold lower than any other one. The sales for GT5 may trickle to 8 million eventually, and that will still put it much lower than even GT2.

Thats not a fact, on what do you base this? GT3 was bundled for a very long time.

I'm basing it on the sales figures that appear on this page like 10 times. GT3 aside GT5 is the lowest selling by far. And this is in an era of game sales being more front loaded than ever (besides Nintendo and CoD). There aren't going to be any big sales pushes, bundles or anything to fall back on. GT5's sales are pretty much done.

they did the right thing, they made Blu-Ray the Standard HD disc format & still have a chance at reaching 100 million.

And threw away basically any money they have ever made in the playstation business.

That's the impressive thing about the PS3's losses. It managed to lose all those billions of dollars when the PSP and PS2 were basically in their most profitable stages.

Stop talking.

I don't understand what you're trying to say there. GT4 sold over 3 million less than GT3 and GT5 is set to fall just as far behind GT5. GT is declining especially in the US and Japanese market. The only market where it really remains strong is in Europe and i daresay the vast majority of GT5 sales came from there.

Of course selling 8 million or so copies of a game is still very good but it's a fair drop off from where it once was.

EagleEyes

You're really outdoing yourself lately.
Thats the first thing I thought as well lol. I can't believe the things I read sometimes on the internet. Very entertaining stuff though to read when people put that much effort into making their company of choice look good in the face of all this bad news lately.

confuziz

Banned

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

What is this madness?

Wait, somebody dig out that classic graph where the Wii ownership somehow actually decreased from one year to the next. Maybe he's going by that logic.

PS3 has at least 4 more years left in it now if the PS3 had a DVD drive & weaker parts MS marketing might have killed it off years ago,

no one knows how things would have went.

Those hugely declining sales in all major regions sure fill me with the hope that the PS3 has four years left. That, along with every major publisher preparing for next-gen and that the PS3 and 360 can't exist without the other due to their reliance on third-party support and third-parties' needs for a huge userbase that a single console can't provide.

SkylineRKR

PS3 has at least 4 more years left in it now if the PS3 had a DVD drive & weaker parts MS marketing might have killed it off years ago,

no one knows how things would have went.

Ignoring the fact the Ps3 burned about all of SCE's revenues made with the PS1 and PS2 and gave away their leadership as well, you might be right. Ps3 was a good choice.

Maybe if they continue to sell it into 2050, it might turn profitable.

Seriously though, the PS3 is doing well. But it made Sony lose so much that I fail to see if its release was worth it for Sony.

onQ123

Those hugely declining sales in all major regions sure fill me with the hope that the PS3 has four years left. That, along with every major publisher preparing for next-gen and that the PS3 and 360 can't exist without the other due to their reliance on third-party support and third-parties' needs for a huge userbase that a single console can't provide.

What hugely declining sales in all major regions?

PS3 in the last Quarter sold about 2X the Xbox 360 & 3X the Wii.

I hope you didn't think that most of the 2.8 Million was PS2 sells.

SkylineRKR

I don't know if PD should be happy with the fact that Prologue outsold the full game in Japan. Is that a good sign for the series on the whole?

The same goes for the NA sales of GT5, they aren't as good as the ones before it. And GT5, to my knowledge, is bundled like crazy too. At least in Europe it is, and the bundle is still going strong.

onQ123

on a side note:

Do people really think that Sony would redesign the PS3 to only sell it for 1 or 2 more years? lol like I said the PS3 has at least 4 more years of sells left in it.

confuziz

Banned
on a side note:

Do people really think that Sony would redesign the PS3 to only sell it for 1 or 2 more years? lol like I said the PS3 has at least 4 more years of sells left in it.

Because Sony is only making bad decisions lately, and they're pretty good at it.

Deadbeat

Banned
on a side note:

PSP-E1000 was released in October 2011.

They have no problem redesigning near the end of life of a platform. The psp is dying quick now. You cant go by the ps2 slim redesigns with the power supply. The ps2 was crazy successful. Its still selling.

onQ123

PSP-E1000 was released in October 2011.

They have no problem redesigning near the end of life of a console. The psp is dying quick now.

that wasn't much of a redesign & also it's still selling & will be still selling a year or so from now.

AOC83

Banned
on a side note:

I expect the PS3 to at least make the 10 years full, especially after the oncoming price cut.
For 150 € or less it´ll be a very nice entry console and blu-ray player.

Well, if only Sony would just release a DVD PS3 w/o cell back then... and on time, like, at almost the same day as the 360.. at the same price.. would they've hold on to their leadership position? Would the Wii, set to release about a year afterward, become the success it turned out to be?

The thing is that HD gaming was very expensive, and not viable for a lot of households. It was not a good time, consoles almost forced the gamer to buy a HDTV. Crappy ass 720p sets for over 1000 bucks.

This. Both Microsoft & Sony jumped into the HD era far too early when HD itself wasn't even standard with the public & the market until about early 2011. Nintendo were very smart to wait until the Wii U for HD gaming & to hold off on it until HD started becoming mainstream within the market worldwide.

Wii hasn't launched in emerging markets at all for the most part, Nintendo just sticks to official regions. They planned to use iQue for emerging markets, but for some reason plans changed and the Brazilian/Indian launches were killed, leaving just China.

Emerging markets are really Sony's one advantage in total userbase comparisons. You look at DS vs PS2 for example, and DS has greatly outperformed PS2 in literally every region both platforms released, yet PS2 still maintains a higher total sales record. That's thanks only to emerging markets, where Nintendo has zero official presence or works through subsidiaries who account for platforms separately (again like iQue, whose Chinese GBA and DS sales aren't included in Nintendo's figures).

As for 360 and Wii vs PS3, squeaking by 360 seems possible (though it's also something platform evangelists like yourself seem to predict annually since 2009, yet it still seems to never happen) but overcoming Wii's ~30m lead seems exceedingly unlikely even in the best case scenarios. In the end it doesn't really matter though, what's going to stick is what market position was during the active generation. PlayStation 3rd Place.

onQ123

There are blu-ray players on the market for 60-70 euros.

But the PS3 is a Console / Blu-ray player & it's a connection to a very large online business with all types of content.

with the price drop PS3 will be cheaper to buy new than a PS2. (in the US not sure about other places)

Triple U

Banned
What is this madness?

Wait, somebody dig out that classic graph where the Wii ownership somehow actually decreased from one year to the next. Maybe he's going by that logic.
It really isn't madness at all. With WiiU, the OG wii is due to fall below the map in about a years time.

And with PS3 finally at the mass market point or below it definetly has a chance to pass it. I say it's going to end up close

Lebron

So it's praise worthy that it's maybe going to finally limp past a dead console for glory with enough prep time? And PS2, "It's me Austin", was really behind it all along? I have learned a lot reading these last few pages.

It really isn't madness at all. With WiiU, the OG wii is due to fall below the map in about a years time.

And with PS3 finally at the mass market point or below it definetly has a chance to pass it. I say it's going to end up close
Installed base doesn't decrease though. Total figures don't go down, that's why those IDC reports were rightfully ridiculed.

If you want to get at active userbase, you have to factor all sorts of things that alter figures and a lot of that we don't have much insight on (repeat purchasing thanks to new models, thanks to reliability issues, clone consoles, used market, players per console, emulation, etc).

Triple U

Banned
Installed base doesn't decrease though. Total figures don't go down, that's why those IDC reports were rightfully ridiculed.

If you want to get at active userbase, you have to factor all sorts of things that alter figures and a lot of that we don't have much insight on (repeat purchasing thanks to new models, thanks to reliability issues, clone consoles, used market, players per console, emulation, etc).

Who said anything about Wii's base decreasing?

I am basing my thoughts on the rationale(IMO of course) that the Wii won't cross over to 100 mill while the others have a chance to. Sony's price cut could breathe a lot of life into PS3 and its already been selling decently at the current price. MS is due to cut the 360 too.

Edit:I didn't realize how close the Wii was already. Hmmm
could all 3 Consoles (Wii ,PS3 ,360 ) make it over the 100 million mark?

even if it's 2020 I'm going to bump my thread & say I told you so lol

Its certainly possible.

Thats not a fact, on what do you base this? GT3 was bundled for a very long time.

GT5 is 50% of the sales of previous games in Japan, it didn't even pass a million there and GT5:p the demo outsold the main version of the game over there. Again, it is basically only European sales keeping it alive at this point.

Stop talking.

Does not compute. You quote me, then provide a link proving what I said but seems like you are arguing with me yet proving me right in the same breath. Not sure I understand.

Triple U

Banned
well try to find a new retail PS2 for $99 because everywhere I looked online the price has went up to $200 & more.

Damn someone is making a killing. I see it listed on Gamestop for $99 but apparently its unavailable.

Isn't it against some policy to sell so much above MSRP?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I haven't read most of the topic, but when would the cost of buying Gaikai come out for them?

That was what, $380m alone, if they hadn't purchased them would they have technically made some money this quater? lol.

Top Bottom