• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 Results: $312 Million Loss

b3b0p

They are available for $99 still. You can easily get one from Sony Style. I'm picking one up soon since I don't trust my PS3 60GB.

They would announce such, wouldn't they? I mean, if they are making money off these, why would they stop?

I haven't read most of the topic, but when would the cost of buying Gaikai come out for them?

That was what, $380m alone, if they hadn't purchased them would they have technically made some money this quater? lol.

You don't lose money buying something, whether it's real estate, a company or any other random product.

spwolf

GT5 is 50% of the sales of previous games in Japan, it didn't even pass a million there and GT5:p the demo outsold the main version of the game over there. Again, it is basically only European sales keeping it alive at this point.

Does not compute. You quote me, then provide a link proving what I said but seems like you are arguing with me yet proving me right in the same breath. Not sure I understand.

yeah, poor GT... only the most successful PS3 franchise, with 13 million sales up until end of 2011.

Could you pick worse argument to talk about for past 10 pages?

Sony wishes they will have another series like this.

spwolf

on the more interesting side, I wonder how big priority is Sony Mobile these days since they will sell around 36 million Xperia smartphones this FY, thats huge medium, and it is probably going to grow a lot next FY, as they are still ramping up.

In half a year, phones became their #1 selling product, as TV's sell "only" about 20 million in good year, PS3 around 15 and PSP/PSV less than that...

With upcoming expansion of Sony Mobile portfolio, it is becoming easily #1 vertical product range at Sony. No wonder they are moving their HQ from Sweden to Tokyo in October 2012.

Together with upcoming tablet, it is definitely interesting to see how will they integrated Playstation with Phones.

confuziz

Banned
on the more interesting side, I wonder how big priority is Sony Mobile these days since they will sell around 36 million Xperia smartphones this FY, thats huge medium, and it is probably going to grow a lot next FY, as they are still ramping up.

In half a year, phones became their #1 selling product, as TV's sell "only" about 20 million in good year, PS3 around 15 and PSP/PSV less than that...

With upcoming expansion of Sony Mobile portfolio, it is becoming easily #1 vertical product range at Sony. No wonder they are moving their HQ from Sweden to Tokyo in October 2012.

Together with upcoming tablet, it is definitely interesting to see how will they integrated Playstation with Phones.

Who buys a Sony phone when the Galaxy and Iphone are far superior?

onQ123

They are available for $99 still. You can easily get one from Sony Style. I'm picking one up soon since I don't trust my PS3 60GB.

They would announce such, wouldn't they? I mean, if they are making money off these, why would they stop?

well that's that! but if you're lucky it might be one in the back of a Store.

this might be a good time to Repo my PSTwo from my niece lol

spwolf

apparently 7.4 million customers last quarter alone, rise of 110% from year ago, and with almost non existing user base in most important market - USA.

And thats with them just bringing new products to the market later on this year, so sales will go up too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It really isn't madness at all. With WiiU, the OG wii is due to fall below the map in about a years time.

And with PS3 finally at the mass market point or below it definetly has a chance to pass it. I say it's going to end up close

I'm referring to the chart that actually had Wii's userbase decreasing from one year to the next, which is impossible.

Zen

Banned
a couple of things:

-Looks like the PS3 won MS FY

Microsoft’s Fiscal Year - Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
Console  Jl-Sp'11  Oc-Dc'11   Ja-Mr'12   Ap-Jn'12   Jl'11-Jn'12        
--------------------------------------------------------------------
  PS3      3.7       6.5        1.9         ?     12.1 + Ap - Jn'12 

360      2.3       8.2        1.4        1.1        13.0 

Wii      1.79      5.61       0.88       0.71       8.99    

PS2      1.2       0.9        0.6         ?      2.7 + Ap - Jn'12 

Console  Jl-Sp'10  Oc-Dc'10   Ja-Mr'11   Ap-Jn'11   Jl'10-Jn'11        
  PS3      3.5       6.3        2.1        1.8        13.7   

Wii      1.93      8.75       1.36       1.56       13.60    

360      2.8       6.3        2.7        1.7        13.5--(13.7 according to MS)     

PS2      1.5       2.1        1.2        1.4        6.2     

Console  Jl-Sp'09  Oc-Dc'09   Ja-Mr'10   Ap-Jn'10   Jl'09-Jn'10         
  Wii      3.53      11.30      3.48       3.04       21.35    

PS3      3.2       6.5        2.2        2.4        14.3   

360      2.1       5.2        1.5        1.5        10.3    

PS2      1.9       2.1        1.7        1.6        7.3     

-Microsoft's Fiscal Year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30

-Sources: Sony,Nintendo,Microsoft (Sell-in Numbers)

-Microsoft and Nintendo can't survive without strong NPD sales

First Half of 2012 - Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
Console      Ja-Mr'12    Ap-Jn'12    First Half'12         
PS3/PS2        2.5         2.8           5.3          

360            1.4         1.1           2.5         

Wii            0.88        0.71          1.59            

360/Wii        2.28        1.81          4.09             

-Sources: Sony,Nintendo,Microsoft (Sell-in Numbers)

Way beyond that. The PS1 is an easy target.It's unfair because the emerging markets are way bigger now and the PS3 is already #1.

What the PS2 has done for the PS3 since 2006 has been incredible. The PS2 completely destroyed the Wii in the emerging markets,and the Xbox 360 in Continental Europe, kept the PlayStation brand alive and relevant,and generated profits when the PS3 was vulnerable and weak.

The PS3 will eventually overtake the Wii.In a few years people will realize that the PS2 won the sixth and the seventh generation of consoles.

It would be nice if there was some way that we could extrapolate the PS3/PS2 numbers. The PS2 sold 6.2 million (!) units last FY, but I'd be surprised if it was over 1 million for each quarter this year.

jakncoke

Banned

Sony tv division might sell that much but its been red division for like 8 years now

spwolf

If you're looking the entire franchise, aren't Uncharted 1-3 higher than that? Nevermind 3rd party series like COD, FIFA, NFS, etc?

UC maybe, but it is 3 games instead of 1 and a half, with full game being progression of the first half of it... when it comes to making money, I dont think anything compares to GT at Sony... thats why they are left to do whatever they want.

And GT5 is still on the charts in the Europe, with new dlc bundle coming out next month or so...

So people can talk about Socom and other franchises that died but to talk like that about GT is just plain stupid.

I'm basing it on the sales figures that appear on this page like 10 times. GT3 aside GT5 is the lowest selling by far. And this is in an era of game sales being more front loaded than ever (besides Nintendo and CoD). There aren't going to be any big sales pushes, bundles or anything to fall back on. GT5's sales are pretty much done.

GT5 is the lowest selling so far because its also the newest in the franchise. Show me numbers where GT5 trails behind other GT games (except for GT3) for the same period of time.

They are available for 80.85€ ($99) still. You can easily get one from Sony Style. I'm picking one up soon since I don't trust my PS3 60GB.

i've actually been trying to find a brand new ps2 (the very latest model) with no luck for quite some time now.

Brofist

GT5 is the lowest selling so far because its also the newest in the franchise. Show me numbers where GT5 trails behind other GT games (except for GT3) for the same period of time.

No it's the lowest selling because it's the least popular. Get over it. It's not a million selling franchise in Japan anymore. It's not as popular in the US anymore. There are many reasons for this, none of them having to do with how long the game has been on the shelves.

If you think it will go on to sell 2 million more and pass GT2 than you better start buying them in bulk yourself.

It would be nice if there was some way that we could extrapolate the PS3/PS2 numbers. The PS2 sold 6.2 million (!) units last FY, but I'd be surprised if it was over 1 million for each quarter this year.
Microsoft has a weird fiscal year. By Sony's April1-March31 FY2011 PS2 actually only did 4.1M, with sales decreasing into the Holiday quarter - which is unusual.

I wouldn't be surprised if PS2 only made up as little as 0.5M of the 2.8M based on its decline over the previous four quarters.

Although I'm not sure what would cause the increase in PS3 shipments Y/Y - perhaps clearing out stock before the new model comes out.

magawolaz

What's up with GT5?

It sold 7.5M copies as of december 2011. That was not including Spec II Edition, XL Edition, and the future Academy Edition (coming out shortly after the new PS3 Slim).
The budget (Platinum) version is constantly on 2012 PAL charts.

Today, Gran Turismo 4 is still selling in new markets (South-America, India etc.) along with PS2s, and I'm sure the same will happen in a few years with the PS3.
I don't know if it'll reach GT2 numbers, but I'm sure it'll come pretty close.

No it's the lowest selling because it's the least popular. Get over it. It's not a million selling franchise in Japan anymore. It's not as popular in the US anymore. There are many reasons for this, none of them having to do with how long the game has been on the shelves.

If you think it will go on to sell 2 million more and pass GT2 than you better start buying them in bulk yourself.

This. And not many PS3 fanboys would want to admit this, but the franchise is dying. Only Europe is keeping the GT franchise relevant now, & who knows how long they'll support it as well.

Zen

Banned
This. And not many PS3 fanboys would want to admit this, but the franchise is dying. Only Europe is keeping the GT franchise relevant now, & who knows how long they'll support it as well.

While it's true that the franchise has declined, probably permanently, in Asia and North America you should also read the post above yours. GT is in decline, not dying, and selling as much as GT5 prologue did -by itself- is still considered an-amazing success for 99% of the game developers in the world, this can't be understated.

Gran Turismo is still a mega franchise internationally. It's just no longer what it was (the yesteryear's sales equivalent of today's Call of Duty)

Bulzeeb

right now the thought of seeing a high end ps4 machine seems really unlikely, I guess there won't be that much of a difference between Sony's next console and the wii U but thats just my humble opinion, on the other hand Microsoft might bring the monster power house for the next generation of consoles (and I am including the Wii U in that group btw)

While it's true that the franchise has declined, probably permanently, in Asia and North America you should also read the post above yours. GT is in decline, not dying, and selling as much as GT5 prologue did -by itself- is still considered an-amazing success for 99% of the game developers in the world, this can't be understated.

Gran Turismo is still a mega franchise internationally. It's just no longer what it was (the yesteryear's sales equivalent of today's today's Call of Duty)

And that was the original point all along is that GT isn't the franchise it once was, is in decline, and held up by European sales. No post has disputed this at all regardless of what anyone has to say. It is not now, and more than likely in the future will not be the system mover it used to be in it's hayday and sales numbers from PD themselves show this. In Japan it has been the most obvious where it used to be *the* game to get for the system and now even the demo outsold the main version.

No one is saying it's a bad game... just that it simply doesn't have the same worldwide appeal that it once did. I am curious though to see how many folks arguing for the sales of GT are posting from PAL region... the only region the game sells well anymore.

Zen

Banned
It still sells well in every region. 640k in Japan is above average and 2 million in NA is nothing to sneeze at.

It may not be as popular in Japan and US anymore, but in EU it actually outsold GT2, in Asia its the most popular GT game. Since GT5P and GT5 sold almost 13 million copies it definetly is not a declining franchise, it already outsold GT4+P in total numbers. We'll see if base game won't ship another 2 million in the coming years.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

worldwide numbers as of dec 2011

Title Units (K)*
Gran Turismo 10,850
Gran Turismo 2 9,370
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 14,890
Gran Turismo Concept Series 1,560
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 1,400
Gran Turismo 4 11,440
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 5,340
Gran Turismo PSP 3,610
Gran Turismo 5 7,430

GT is dying? In total numbers GT5 is the 2nd best selling GT game.

Pranay

Their are people who buy phones which are good value for money and Xperia series is getting quite popular in Asia and Europe

apparently 7.4 million customers last quarter alone, rise of 110% from year ago, and with almost non existing user base in most important market - USA.

And thats with them just bringing new products to the market later on this year, so sales will go up too.

Yeah, Sony Xperia series is doing good, they just need to get good amount of userbase in us

Dalthien

Since GT5P and GT5 sold almost 13 million copies it definetly is not a declining franchise, it already outsold GT4+P in total numbers.

GT is undoubtedly still a very profitable series, and still very important to Sony as a brand. No doubt about that.

But let's not sugarcoat things either. GT sales have declined A LOT in both Japan and North America, and simply transferring a HUGE chunk of sales from the main series to a prologue series which sells at a 33% discount isn't exactly the preferred way that Sony had in mind to try to match previous entry combined sales.

GT is undoubtedly still a very profitable series, and still very important to Sony as a brand. No doubt about that.

But let's not sugarcoat things either. GT sales have declined A LOT in both Japan and North America, and simply transferring a HUGE chunk of sales from the main series to a prologue series which sells at a 33% discount isn't exactly the preferred way that Sony had in mind to try to match previous entry combined sales.

Its no secret that GT is becoming a Europe centric game, I just wish there won't be a 3 year gap between GT6:p and GT6 like it was with GT5.

GavinGT

Banned

Title Units (K)*
Gran Turismo 10,850
Gran Turismo 2 9,370
Gran Turismo 4 11,440
Gran Turismo PSP 3,610
Gran Turismo 5 7,430

Third best, if we're to follow your silly practice of combining all titles that share the same number. This goes to show how you just see what you want to see when you're looking at anything regarding Sony.

Also, if PD were even capable of pumping out two of these in the current generation, I'm fairly sure we'd have seen a huge dropoff for a hypothetical PS3 GT6 title.

This is one of the things people have to take into account when talking about sonys future support for dedicated handhelds. If the vita continues to fail i don't think it's all that unlikely that they move their focus towards mobiles and tablets.

Title Units (K)*
Gran Turismo 10,850
Gran Turismo 2 9,370
Gran Turismo 4 11,440
Gran Turismo PSP 3,610
Gran Turismo 5 7,430

This is just so incredibly misleading. The actual release of GT5 is almost certainly going to be the worst selling in the series and a massive step down from the last release in the series. In particular in Japan and the US GT is nowhere near as big as it used to be.

The reason that GT5 prologue sold so well is because there was such a massive wait for GT5. On the PS1 sony sold over 20 million copies of GT (without any prologue releases). On the PS2 they sold something like 27 million copies of GT. So far this gen they have sold slightly under 13 million.

GT isn't a dying franchise by any stretch of the imagination but it is nowhere the franchise it used to be.

Grim1ock

Banned

When gran turismo 5 prologue was annonced it went platininum on pre orders alone. Was'nt a full game by the way.

This generation 2 entries of gran turismo have sold the most copies not named mario kart in a genre that lagged behind those such as shooters.

Lively community to this day after 2 years and loyal hardcore fanbase. hav trip to GTplanet to see them.

Dying? i don't think so. Ofcourse sales in japan and america lagged behind. That is because of the relative weak ps3 position in those markets compared to europe.

when was the last time you had global manufacturers like toyota, mercedes and red bull have all advertising and deals with a videogame?

This is one of the things people have to take into account when talking about sonys future support for dedicated handhelds. If the vita continues to fail i don't think it's all that unlikely that they move their focus towards mobiles and tablets.

This is just so incredibly misleading. The actual release of GT5 is almost certainly going to be the worst selling in the series and a massive step down from the last release in the series. In particular in Japan and the US GT is nowhere near as big as it used to be.

The reason that GT5 prologue sold so well is because there was such a massive wait for GT5. On the PS1 sony sold over 20 million copies of GT (without any prologue releases). On the PS2 they sold something like 27 million copies of GT. So far this gen they have sold slightly under 13 million.

GT isn't a dying franchise by any stretch of the imagination but it is nowhere the franchise it used to be.

You're right if you use total games sold by platform, GT will be definetly not as big as PS1 and 2, but thats probably because there is a GT game less than on the other platforms. If GT5 came a year after its Prologue in 2008 and GT6 came 3 years after that in 2011 we wouldve seen different numbers. Anyways, this is just my take on the situation.

You're right if you use total games sold by platform, GT will be definetly not as big as PS1 and 2, but thats probably because there is a GT game less than on the other platforms. If GT5 came a year after its Prologue in 2008 and GT6 came 3 years after that in 2011 we wouldve seen different numbers. Anyways, this is just my take on the situation.

That's exactly why prologue sold so well, there has only been one GT this gen and it took so long to come out the prologue almost had to be treated as a main game (hence why its sales are so close to the main game).

My point is this. If you go by sales per installment or sales per gen either way GT has dropped off this gen.

When gran turismo 5 prologue was annonced it went platininum on pre orders alone. Was'nt a full game by the way.

Because there was such a massive wait between GT4 and GT5. Prologue may not have been a full game but it's pretty obvious why it's demand was so much higher than a typical game of that nature (even GT5 itself hasn't sold that much better).

This generation 2 entries of gran turismo have sold the most copies not named mario kart in a genre that lagged behind those such as shooters.

I agree that one of the reasons for the declining sales of GT is because the genre itself is declining. I don't see how that fact in any way changes the fact that sales have declined.

Lively community to this day after 2 years and loyal hardcore fanbase. hav trip to GTplanet to see them.

There are games that have sold a fraction of what GT5 did which this is true of. I don't see how it's relevant to a sales discussion.

Dying? i don't think so. Ofcourse sales in japan and america lagged behind. That is because of the relative weak ps3 position in those markets compared to europe.

Sales in Japan have been dropping off massively before this gen for GT. I think sales in the US have been went down a decent bit with GT4 as well.

That's exactly why prologue sold so well, there has only been one GT this gen and it took so long to come out the prologue almost had to be treated as a main game (hence why its sales are so close to the main game).

My point is this. If you go by sales per installment or sales per gen either way GT has dropped off this gen. .

GT6 releasing (a year) after PS4 launch will suffer from a limited userbase, and if it takes longer it'll be criticized for taking another 5 years. :/

They would be better off releasing GT6 on the PS3 and PS4.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
apparently 7.4 million customers last quarter alone, rise of 110% from year ago, and with almost non existing user base in most important market - USA

If that keeps up, Playstation Mobile is going to swallow up Vita as a going concern for SCE's portable efforts. I sort of said as much after the E3 showing, but seeing numbers like that drives it home.

Top Bottom