• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, KojiPro, Sucker Punch, Polyphony Digital are likely all making cross gen games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

Grand Turismo isn't a system seller like it was 10-15 years ago. I think it's still popular but more niche IMO. Globally it used to sell what 15-20 million? Last GT was what 7 million?

8 million, and that’s after 3 years release. They are the longest running and most successful Playstation franchise to date. GT sport online has a strong online community and are recognized by the FIA.

Within the racing sim community. The holy trinity are iRacing, Asetto Corsa Compitizione, and GT Sport. It’s hardly niche within the racing community.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

Makes sense to me they would. Biggest return on investment. I know everyone bought fancy new consoles and wants games that only run on that hardware, but as primarily a PC gamer, it's been this way forever so I'm immune to this kind of thing being an issue. As long as the games are great, I don't care how many or what platforms they release on, as long as I can play them.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You have no idea what you’re talking about. If you really think these teams have stayed the same size and are not working on multiple projects at staggering release schedules you’re kidding yourself. No one is gonna wait till 2026 for the best teams to release PS5 only games. That’s literally when the PS6 will be rumored. We’ve already had 5 PS5 only games.
2026? what?

dude, sony decided to start the developing of gow, gt and horizon sequels on ps4, you kid yourself if you think that in 2017\2018 there was not a comparable ps5 hardware where to start the developing of these games, especially for a gigantic company like sony.

If they started then, you would have gow and horizon (and gt) on ps5 by 2021-2022 (maybe 2023 for gow) and i would gladly take a game developed on similar but not precise ps5 specs and then optimized on the definitive ps5 specs in the last 2-3 years of development over a game fully developed on an ancient ps4 every day of the week.

Sure, they already released 5 games but no one of them is comparable to juggernauts like gow\horizon\gt unless we want to rewrite history once again.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Well, Horizon is literally a last gen game built on the same engine and it will still end up taking 5 years if it misses this holiday season which they themselves said is a real possibility. Even if it comes out in November, thats only 3 months shy of 5 years.

GoW 2 another last gen sequel is also going to end up taking at least 4 years if it comes out in Spring. 4.5 years if its a holiday 2022 title. Same goes for GT7.

And none of these games are utilizing the SSD or the CPU or any of the new primitive or mesh shader stuff that UE5 games are going to be using. So what's going to happen when they finally ship their games in 2022 and realize their engines need to be retooled, and their game design needs to account for the CPU and SSD improvements. They have basically been making PS3 games all this time. Just bigger and more open. With the CPU and SSD, game design will change which means rethinking game development which will take at the very least just as much time as the PS4 sequels did. 4-5 years minimum. Which means we are looking at 2025-2027 for studios that ship games in late 2021 and early 2022.

If previous gen is any indicator, Sony will release games on about half a year intervals, so HFW this year, H1 2022 GT7, H2 2022 GoW, and so on, so there's a chance they'll be able to make a seamless transition with the last cross-gen title in let's say H1 2024, and then nothing but next-gen only games from H2.

what kind of an idiot would release an expensive AAA game only on ps5 when you have like 8 million ps5 sold and you don't know
when will chip production be better. if Sony said Horizon FW is ps5 only people would believe it cuz it looks like true next-gen game.
but now people know it's also on ps4 and are trying to find problems with it.
not every next-gen game will have teleporting to different worlds like Rift Apart or similar ideas

I would love ps5 only games but I understand the situation in console production right now

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
This is going to be an interesting generation to remember with two bigger next-gen only games followed by a series of cross-gen games.

White-fire

2026? what?

dude, sony decided to start the developing of gow, gt and horizon sequels on ps4, you kid yourself if you think that in 2017\2018 there was not a comparable ps5 hardware where to start the developing of these games, especially for a gigantic company like sony.

If they started then, you would have gow and horizon (and gt) on ps5 by 2021-2022 (maybe 2023 for gow) and i would gladly take a game developed on similar but not precise ps5 specs and then optimized on the definitive ps5 specs in the last 2-3 years of development over a game fully developed on an ancient ps4 every day of the week.

Sure, they already released 5 games but no one of them is comparable to juggernauts like gow\horizon\gt unless we want to rewrite history once again.

You’re also ignoring that there’s a much higher chance Sony would lose money developing a game that could cost upwards of $250-$300 million to release on a platform with a fraction of the install base. Sony is not the third largest company in the world and can eat losses to win console wars on Twitter. If Sony wants to continue expanding its studios and using PlayStation as a crutch to fund its other division and remain competitive, it can’t be so stupid as to release GOW2 as exclusive in the first year of a new console. It would bomb sales-wise. It would practically be a niche game. 3 million sales in a year at most.

Sony is trying to remain competitive with Microsoft, and gimping the sales of its largest game is the best way to shoot themselves in the foot.

edit: Development costs at the beginning of the PS4 generation were a lot less and the teams were smaller, it was less of a risk to release PS4 only games at the start of previous gens. Especially considering Sony’s first party games didn’t light the world on fire during the PS3 generation when looking at sales.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You’re also ignoring that there’s a much higher chance Sony would lose money developing a game that could cost upwards of $250-$300 million to release on a platform with a fraction of the install base. Sony is not the third largest company in the world and can eat losses to win console wars on Twitter. If Sony wants to continue expanding its studios and using PlayStation as a crutch to fund its other division and remain competitive and can’t be so stupid as to release GOW2 as exclusive in the first year of a new console. It would bomb sales-wise. It would practically be a niche game. 3 million sales in a year at most.

Sony is trying to remain competitive with Microsoft, and gimping the sales of its largest game is the best way to shoot themselves in the foot.
Was this a narrative when they leave behind the 110 mil ps2 users and the 80 mil ps3 users when they were in a much worse economical conditions compared to where they are now after ps4 and early ps5 success?!

I'm not a sony shareholder, i don't give a damn about their motivations, i'm the final client and i only care for the final results like everyone should do, and for now, sony managed to make crossgen my number 1 and number 2 gotg from last gen, maybe you don't give a damn about these games or maybe they are just much lower in your appreciation list, but i'm gonna say once again, my number 1 and number 2 gotg from last gen, for me personally they already did a fuckton of irreparable damage.

Also, if they released horizon and gow and gt between 2022-2023 the number of ps5 around the world would me much much higher than 8 milions, and these brands don't sell more than 10-15 milions copies (usually)

Last edited:

Woggleman

A few years down the road when the PS5 has the same kind of install base the PS4 does then we will see more PS5 only games. Right now with it being near impossible to even buy one nobody in their right mind will cut out such a large portion of sales. It is better to release them and then give big upgrades for the PS5. Horizon is one of the most anticipated sequels set to release this year or early 2022. Do you really think Guerilla wants to lose all those sales by making it PS5 exclusive?

kuncol02

Banned
Doesn't really matter with GT7 because it started as a PS5 only game which just recently changed so they will have to figure how to make it fit on PS4.

As for naughty dog, yeah because it's a spin off of TLOU2 but doubtful if their next single player game is cross gen.
Last time developers decided to make game with pc/nextgen in mind and then "figure how to make it fit on PS4" we got Cyberpunk. Do you seriously believe that? It looked like carrer mode DLC for GT Sport with added RT.

Woggleman

Last time developers decided to make game with pc/nextgen in mind and then "figure how to make it fit on PS4" we got Cyberpunk. Do you seriously believe that? It looked like carrer mode DLC for GT Sport with added RT.
Very true meanwhile several games like GOT' TLOU2 and Days Gone look and run much better on PS5 with 60 FPS so upscaling to PS5 rather than downscaling to PS4 until they are ready to retire the PS4 all together is the better idea.

e&e

Banned
Honestly... who cares?

They made incredible games on PS4 and they will still keep making incredible games regardless if it's crossgen or not.
I will say this and keep saying it…Diminishing Returns! Even though this post is shrouded in fanboy drivel, I agree with it! Though Sony shouldn’t be lying to their customers! Also, let’s see if the sentiment will resonate through the hardcore even more to see that we are hitting the point where people are just comfortable with the level of graphics we have to run to defend Sony and devs and then turn around to drag other companies on the other side.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
  1. Ubisoft - Avatar
  2. Bethesda - Starfield
  3. Rocksteady - Suicide Squad
  4. Arcane - Redfall
  5. Microsoft - Flight Simulator
  6. Square Enix - Forspoken
  7. Square Enix - Final Fantasy 16
  8. Bioware - Mass Effect
  9. Bioware - Dragon Age Inquisition

PS Studios - Astro's Playroom 2020 (released)
PS Studios - Demon's Souls 2020 (released)
PS Studios - Destruction Allstars 2021 (released)
PS Studios - Returnal 2021 (released)
PS Studios - R&C 2021 (released)

None of what you've listed have released (Except the old game/sim FS) and most of them are very late 2022 or 2023 games. Flight Simulator? More like a nice tech demo that is irrelevant to the actual gamers.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned

None of what you've listed have released (Except the old game/sim FS) and most of them are very late 2022 or 2023 games. Flight Simulator? More like a nice tech demo that is irrelevant to the actual gamers.
You are going short circuit when MS releases a Next Gen Only game next year while Sony does cross gen huh? It’s gonna look sad when you can’t use that disingenuous talking point…
You asked.

I didnt know that you really meant was this

We all know REAL gamers loved Destruction All Stars.

No one is dismissing Ratchet and Returnal btw. Sony can be applauded for releasing two next gen games and yet at the same time, we can question why their next SIX games are cross gen.
The brain short circuited when they realized they needed to respond with a goalpost answer quickly.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

GT7 wasnt suppose to be Cross gen.

Unlike Horizon 2 and GOW2 which were cross gen from the start, GT7 was made for PS5 and only recently get a downgrade for PS4.
Pretty sure Kojima is working on something else

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

You asked.

Who's making next gen only games so far though?

Who's making next gen only games that have not yet been released
Who's making next gen only games that dont include what I consider to be tech demos
Who's making next gen only games that actual gamers care about

No one is dismissing Ratchet and Returnal btw. Sony can be applauded for releasing two next gen games and yet at the same time, we can question why their next SIX games are cross gen.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You asked.

Yes, but let's also question the whole industry. Sony is the first to release PS5-only games. Yes, I forgot Demon's Souls.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You are going short circuit when MS releases a Next Gen Only game next year while Sony does cross gen huh? It’s gonna look sad when you can’t use that disingenuous talking point…

The brain short circuited when they realized they needed to respond with a goalpost answer quickly.

Let me know when MS releases Next-gen only game next year.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
We have known about SSM, GG and PD making GoW, Horizon and GT7 for both PS4 and PS5, but recent rumors of a GoT expansion, Kojima announcing Death Stranding Director's Cut and Naughty Dog announcing they are actively working on Factions... suggests that almost all Sony studios are working on cross gen games. It's not just a few studios who began development back in 2017 and 2018 before devkits were sent out.

It's highly unlikely that GoT expansion would be PS5 only. Death Stranding Directors Cut look pretty much identical to the PS4 version, and Factions was always going to be cross gen.

That means 6 out of the top 8 Sony Studios are all actively making cross gen games with Sony Bend and Insomniac being the only two studios likely working on next gen only games.

If those June 28th or July 8th rumors of a Sony event are true then we might see the following cross gen games from Sony's first party studios.
  • SSM - GoW 2
  • PD - GT7
  • GG - Horizon Forbidden West
  • ND - TLOU Factions expansion
  • KojiPro - Death Stranding expansion
  • GoT - Expansion
Thoughts? Concerns? When will we see next gen only games from these studios if they are all working on last gen stuff in 2021? Are we looking at 2025 or do they have multiple teams who might show up with next gen only games at this summer event?

I hope ND and SP decided to make TLOU Factions and this GoT expansion next gen only. It would be nice to have smaller $40 next gen only games this fall while we wait for Horizon, GoW and GT7 to drop next year.

These are still first year titles and most of them have multiple teams so next year will likely one of the last years we'll see cross-gen titles from the bigger teams.

And so far only PlayStation released next-gen titles and will continue to have several others this year.

Last edited:

Kerotan

We have known about SSM, GG and PD making GoW, Horizon and GT7 for both PS4 and PS5, but recent rumors of a GoT expansion, Kojima announcing Death Stranding Director's Cut and Naughty Dog announcing they are actively working on Factions... suggests that almost all Sony studios are working on cross gen games. It's not just a few studios who began development back in 2017 and 2018 before devkits were sent out.

It's highly unlikely that GoT expansion would be PS5 only. Death Stranding Directors Cut look pretty much identical to the PS4 version, and Factions was always going to be cross gen.

That means 6 out of the top 8 Sony Studios are all actively making cross gen games with Sony Bend and Insomniac being the only two studios likely working on next gen only games.

If those June 28th or July 8th rumors of a Sony event are true then we might see the following cross gen games from Sony's first party studios.
  • SSM - GoW 2
  • PD - GT7
  • GG - Horizon Forbidden West
  • ND - TLOU Factions expansion
  • KojiPro - Death Stranding expansion
  • GoT - Expansion
Thoughts? Concerns? When will we see next gen only games from these studios if they are all working on last gen stuff in 2021? Are we looking at 2025 or do they have multiple teams who might show up with next gen only games at this summer event?

I hope ND and SP decided to make TLOU Factions and this GoT expansion next gen only. It would be nice to have smaller $40 next gen only games this fall while we wait for Horizon, GoW and GT7 to drop next year.
Well horizon, death stranding directors cut, ghost expansion and factions make perfect sense.

GT7 I don't personally think makes sense and gow I was selfishly hoping wouldn't be but I understand why if they started development years ago and originally planned it for this year.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don’t need to. I’ll just be waiting to see your arguments to defend Sony (it’s your catnip). It will be entertaining to see unfold…

Can't wait to see the minimum recommendation being HDD on PC. Just remind me in 1-2 years when released if no meteorite hitting Earth before then.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yes, but let's also question the whole industry. Sony is the first to release PS5-only games. Yes, I forgot Demon's Souls.
You dont think the rest of the industry gets criticized over this? Dont you remember Phil getting raked over the coals over this stuff just last year? At least we have 10 third party games already announced that are set to release in 2022.

I think the fact that third parties dont show up at the start of the gen is precisely why first party (both Sony and Microsoft) have to fill in the gaps. Thats literally their only purpose.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You dont think the rest of the industry gets criticized over this? Dont you remember Phil getting raked over the coals over this stuff just last year? At least we have 10 third party games already announced that are set to release in 2022.

I think the fact that third parties dont show up at the start of the gen is precisely why first party (both Sony and Microsoft) have to fill in the gaps. Thats literally their only purpose.

Let's not jump ahead of ourselves and wait for these games to "actually" release in 2022 first.

Does suck to hear these are cross gen but at least some of my worries have been alleviated with how horizon looked in the demo.
I will be wishing we get past the cross gen phase soon though, hopefully after 2022.

SlimySnake

Let's not jump ahead of ourselves and wait for these games to "actually" release in 2022 first.
Lets assume they all get delayed to 2023. At least they are aiming for 2022 releases for NEXT GEN only titles. Sony is aiming for 2022 for their cross gen titles. So when does sony actually release next gen titles from their studios?

I have said this before but this July 8th conference better be the best damn conference of all time with at least half a dozen next gen only games slated for release in late 2022 and 2023.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Lets assume they all get delayed to 2023. At least they are aiming for 2022 releases for NEXT GEN only titles. Sony is aiming for 2022 for their cross gen titles. So when does sony actually release next gen titles from their studios?

I have said this before but this July 8th conference better be the best damn conference of all time with at least half a dozen next gen only games slated for release in late 2022 and 2023.

What I'm 100% sure of is that all those "cross-gens" will look much better than those "assumed" next gen games. Let's wait for them to be released first.

Last edited:
Avatar devs just went on record about how next gen SSDs and GPUs are integral to the GAME DESIGN as well as graphical rendering.

on flying while maintaining the high visual quality.

On Map Design. Turns out last gen games were so large with sparse areas because they were used to hide loading screens.

On CPUs and GPUs allowing advanced NPC behavior and physics.

We are not gonna see any of that in the next Horizon or God Of War or Ghost of Tsushima or Factions and thats just depressing.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford

flying at high speeds in open worlds isn’t a big deal to me

I care more about general design constraints at a micro level a lot more

Gow, horizon, and GoT DLC are kind of a known thing and expected at this point

factions being an MP game isn’t as critical

I expect Sony to show off more next gen exclusives that we aren’t expecting, just like they did this last year with DS, Returnal, and Ratchet

JaksGhost

At this point I would be fucking exhausted talking about it because no matter how many threads (this is like what… #43 on this same topic) you create, it’s happening. You’re also yelling in an echo chamber of people that have shared the same sentiment so these discussions go absolutely nowhere new.

SlimySnake

What I'm 100% sure that all those "cross-gens" will look much better than those "assumed" next gen games. Let's wait for them to be released first.
Well Avatar looks better than Horizon by a mile.

But it;s not about the looks. This is about actual next gen game design improvements that come from a 8x faster CPU, an 8x faster GPU and a 100x faster SSD.

Avatar doesnt just look better, they are using the CPU to accurately model animal behavior who freak out when you get into battles, start stampedes and cause realtime destruction. They use the SSD to allow ultra high speed flying without losing graphical fidelity. Something Cerny talked about. The SSD is allowing them to create far more densely packed worlds whereas before they would have vast stretches of empty land as they streamed in data. They are using the ray tracing in these GPUs not just for reflections, but realtime global illumination that literally seeps through plants and foliage in order to accurately light up the environment.
It's not just that the world needs to look good as you lazily soar over it – it's that it needs to stay looking good while you travel very, very quickly, as Jansén explains: "You're flying at enormous high speeds on a Banshee over this very, very detailed landscape. It doesn't matter how much we can render, unless we can stream it in as fast when we're moving very fast from one place to another. So just this shift to these newer hard drives, it can't be underestimated because, and it really has a lot of implications."

"It's not just the old 'I'm taking this slow walk as I enter into the place because we have to stream everything in'," explains Jansén of the benefits to his maps, "it's little subtle things that people don't think about, which is how close together are all the places in the world. If you look at, with the old hard drives, they had to be spaced out very far [apart], because you had to stream out the old and stream in the new, so it just created a formulaic world. So, there's a ton of stuff like that."

Stefanov steps in to show us exactly what that can mean: "I can give you a specific example of something that you see in the trailer that has to do with the AI systems. For the big creatures, whenever they are calm, they would obviously walk around trees and things like that. But when they are fleeing, or attacking you, or whatever, they will just go straight through the bamboo and other vegetation and just completely destroy it. I think it's really cool to be able to see all of these effects that the NPCs have on the environment, as well as you having an effect on the environment too."

we have a completely new lighting system that is based on ray tracing, and I think it is a dramatic step up in quality that makes you feel like it's a real place. One tiny example is that it can actually handle the translucency of the leaves [...] so it can figure out how much of the light is reflected through the leaves, how tinted it is with the colors and everything else. You get lovely reflections and sights for the water, even down to the volumetric clouds up in the sky – they actually receive the correct lighting as well."

You compare all that to Horizon and it will start to feel very dated. And just like Sony has taken not one but TWO goty contenders in GoW and Horizon, and completely taken them out of the goty race if those next gen games like Starfield, Avatar et all do come out in 2022.

Raonak

Banned

That's because Phil is an idiot for not having any first party games released at all. And the reason halo got raked over the coals is because it looked like hot garbage. People blamed it on the crossgen factor, but in reality it was because 343 were rushing.

Sony has been absolutely smashing it out of the park. We've already got 3 very high quality PS5 exclusives, and we're gonna get much more.

On top of that, both spiderman and now horizon both look stunning. If you're gonna make crossgen games, then make them look amazing.

I just want to play more PS5 games in general. The SSD and dualsense are big enough differentators for me.

The thing you are completely missing is that Sony haven't shown their cards. GOW, their last reveal, is gonna likely be a mid 2022 game (and is probably gonna be a better game than both avatar and starfield)

Unlike other publishers, Sony just haven't decided to show off their mid/late 2022 projects because they have so much in the pipeline.

And you idiots are going panic mode because Sony are showing off the games they're giving you now.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

flying at high speeds in open worlds isn’t a big deal to me

I care more about general design constraints at a micro level a lot more

Gow, horizon, and GoT DLC are kind of a known thing and expected at this point

factions being an MP game isn’t as critical

I expect Sony to show off more next gen exclusives that we aren’t expecting, just like they did this last year with DS, Returnal, and Ratchet
Factions being MP maybe. But GoT and DS expansion being crossgen is a big mistake because they started dev in 2019 and 2020. Just inexcusable imo.

KAL2006

Banned
Factions being MP maybe. But GoT and DS expansion being crossgen is a big mistake because they started dev in 2019 and 2020. Just inexcusable imo.

I think this is a case of because these games are reusing the same engine and assets so it makes sense to release these as cross gen. It's a similar scenario go Spiderman Miles Morales which was cross gen.

I don't mind these games being cross gen as they are midquels and not proper sequels.

God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7 and Horizon Forbidden West being cross gen is the ones that hurt the most still dissapointed by that decision.

Barakov

As someone who's having a hard time finding a PS5 I'm alright with this. Definitely not ideal but until the stock situation improves it's definitely not the worst thing in the world.

Raonak

Banned
They're reusing the same exact engine for an expansion that likely started development before the original game even launched.

They're games to keep their developers busy while preproduction and engine work starts on their exclusive sequels.

It would be pointless to make these expansions next gen only because it was never gonna be designed around next gen in the first place.

If Sony had only crossgen games or might be a problem, but unlike other next gen consoles, Sony had been releasing PS5 exclusives since day one.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I think this is a case of because these games are reusing the same engine and assets so it makes sense to release these as cross gen. It's a similar scenario go Spiderman Miles Morales which was cross gen.

I don't mind these games being cross gen as they are midquels and not proper sequels.

God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7 and Horizon Forbidden West being cross gen is the ones that hurt the most still dissapointed by that decision.
They're reusing the same exact engine for an expansion that likely started development before the original game even launched.

They're games to keep their developers busy while preproduction and engine work starts on their exclusive sequels.

It would be pointless to make these expansions next gen only because it was never gonna be designed around next gen in the first place.

If Sony had only crossgen games or might be a problem.
I think Forza Horizon has shown that you can make cross gen games while using near photorealistic assets. If Sony wants to release Factions and GoT as $50 standalone expansions then they need to do what Forza is doing and completely redo visuals at the very least.

If they do what they did with Miles, it's not going to go over well now that expectations for cross gen games have been set. Lets see what they end up doing.

Raonak

Banned
I think Forza Horizon has shown that you can make cross gen games while using near photorealistic assets. If Sony wants to release Factions and GoT as $50 standalone expansions then they need to do what Forza is doing and completely redo visuals at the very least.

If they do what they did with Miles, it's not going to go over well now that expectations for cross gen games have been set. Lets see what they end up doing.

Forza Horizon isn't gonna be compared to Miles Morales.

It's gonna be compared to Horizon FW, and Ratchet and Demons Souls.

These expansions are just gonna be a cherry on top for us PS5 owners. Sony is keeping us plenty fed.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Everyone is, the industry need to recoup costs and the two gens are not that different in terms of power and what is possible.

Yoboman

FH5 has completely redone visuals and assets compared to the One X version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom