• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Sony Says "No" To Direct Ports*

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lost Weekend said:
This means a few things probably.

1. You're going to see alot of content currently in the works for PSP get reworked to try to get around this.

2. I'm pretty sure there is going to be a longer delay than first announced now (and I'm expecting one in Japan too)
This isn't the first time we've heard about this policy though. Rumors about it have been circulating for months. This just happens to be more concrete confirmation that the policy is real. I doubt this is new to the PSP development community so I doubt anyone is scrambling to rethink/rework their games.

BuddyC

Society said:
No ports? Where did I hear that before?

Oh ya, Xbox.
xboxports.jpg

Oh man, I forgot about that.

Still waiting for an online Tony Hawk on XB, and XBConnect doesn't count!

Developers are still going to make ports of games whether Sony wants them to or not. It's just easy money. In order to get around they might add one or two levels or characters and call it "Game PSP" or somethig like that.

jarrod

Banned
LakeEarth said:
Good! God, the GBA has been out for what, 3 years, and we STILL have yet to get an original Mario platformer?
Actually we got one 6 months after launch with Wario Land 4. There's also the recent Mario V s Donkey Kong.

Vargas

Poor excuse :

The gameboy version is almost identical, but now it's in color and the graphic is spruced up.
You know very well that NG on NES and NG on XBOX is a totally different game all together.

Mario Vs Donkey Kong is an original game. It is not a poor excuse at all.

jarrod

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
Poor excuse :

The gameboy version is almost identical, but now it's in color and the graphic is spruced up.
You know very well that NG on NES and NG on XBOX is a totally different game all together.
Vargas said it already... maybe you should try playing a game before criticizing it?

jarrod

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Vampire Chronicle isn't a PS2 port.
Actually that raises an interesting question... are only PS2 ports not permitted? YS IV is identical on PS2 & PSP but it's actually a PC port so is that okay? Are direct GameCube and XBox ports allowed?

explodet

Gunsmoke said:
M vs D isn't original and anyone that has played both versions can tell you this.
It's pretty much a redone Donkey Kong '94
Dude, where were the colored switches in DK '94?

Oh, that's right, there are none.
And do you know why?

BECAUSE IT WAS A BLACK AND WHITE GAME!!!

jarrod

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
No it's not. And people cannot read.
Jarrods analogy was a poor excuse.

M vs D isn't original and anyone that has played both versions can tell you this.
And Ocarina of Time is simply a redone A Link to the Past. ;)

MoxManiac

Yes, it's the Chroncle version. Being a Dreamcast port is irrelevant, as the article explicitly states the focus being on PS2 ports being frowned upon.

Jarrod, I don't know, but think about it; of all of Capcom's fighters to port to PSP, why VS?

Because they wanted to revitalize interest in the series? OR maybe because most if not all their other fighters are on PS2?

Vargas

No it's not. And people cannot read.
Jarrods analogy was a poor excuse.

Then why bother playing Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox when it is pretty much Ninja Gaiden for the NES redone?

jarrod

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Yes, it's the Chroncle version. Being a Dreamcast port is irrelevant, as the article explicitly states the focus being on PS2 ports being frowned upon.

Jarrod, I don't know, but think about it; of all of Capcom's fighters to port to PSP, why VS?

Because they wanted to revitalize interest in the series? OR maybe because most if not all their other fighters are on PS2?
Well, there's also the fact that Vampire Chronicle is getting a limited arcade release (like Hyper SF2X)... maybe they wanted a new consumer release too and thought it'd be better to capitalize on the PSP launch rather than deliver a crusty PS2 release that'll be ignored? Also, stuff like MVC2, CVS2 and 3rd Strike aren't really PS2 games but ports themselves... I wonder if Sony would have a problem with those on PSP?

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Sony has been hard on ports (Nintendo hasn't), maybe they're trying to put focus on the fact that Nintendo milks stuff. Sony may also be releasing the PS3 later taking away thier usual headstart advatntage. Maybe they're doing some things on purpose to try to prove that they can "win" without a handicap.

But...I do think they should allow any and every kind of port or game or any kind of content on PSP...quantity of content has always been a strong suit for Sony. Plus "enhanced" ports are pretty much licences to print money...I just think Sony should allow anything and everything they can to make PSP a success, hold nothing back (of course unless it's horrible).

DrGAKMAN said:
Sony has been hard on ports (Nintendo hasn't), maybe they're trying to put focus on the fact that Nintendo milks stuff. Sony may also be releasing the PS3 later taking away thier usual headstart advatntage. Maybe they're doing some things on purpose to try to prove that they can "win" without a handicap.

Yep Sony's very hard on ports unless they're improved or used as double packs. They don't like simple ports. Which I think is a good thing, even if its just an extra character or level it's still good.

ourumov

I would like to see some ports...not the whole library but there are certain games that I would like to see on PSP and that already exist on older systems.
I hope that Sony statement allows them to be released...well, if that has to make companies improve the games better for me...but I am afraid that the instant cash that is a port is not the same thing that remading a whole game (much more challenging and expensive)...All will be about finding the right balance...

For instance, think in RRV...Just suppose NAMCO plans to port it to PSP....Yay...But sony refuses it and asks for improvements...Since adding new trakcs to RRV would be a pain to code, they just choose to change the philosophy of the game and made a pack with every RR game => SONY accepts.

Azrael

I don't believe in a no straight ports policy. What I think Sony should do is require publishers to also produce original content for the platform (and not throwaway original titles made on a shoestring budget) to get ports approved. A company that comes to Sony with proposals for 2 original PSP games and 5 ports of PS1/PS2 titles should get their stuff approved, while a company that comes to Sony with nothing but ports gets rejected.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Is Sony's own Wipeout Pure, Medievil, Ape Escape, Hot Shots Golf, and Syphon Filter on PSP the same titles but with WiFi/extra characters/extra track/extra tracks ?

Shoryuken

Defensor said:
Is Sony's own Wipeout Pure, Medievil, Ape Escape, Hot Shots Golf, and Syphon Filter on PSP the same titles but with WiFi/extra characters/extra track/extra tracks ?

If all they plan to do is add minor features to the games it's seems counterproductive to their no port policy. I mean look at Nintendo's GBA "ports", outside of the NES classic series most of their ports have added enhancements/extras (Mario Bros., 4 swords, e-card support, etc.). Yet these games are still just ports with a few added enhancements/features.

explodet

Gunsmoke said:
who said it was in color ? . . .
go back show me my post that I said it was for game boy color...

color switches . . . smitches.
the can use stripes, and dot shades. . .
Like I said, and contest, it is a redone, reworked Donky Kong 94.
When I was referring to color switches, I was talking about Mario vs. Donkey Kong. MvDK has color switches, DK94 does not.
MvDK also has a different form of play in its Plus worlds, and there is nothing of the sort in DK94.

Of course, you would have known this if you knew anything about the games.

EDIT: I didn't even LIKE MvDK that much :p

explodet

Anyway, to get this discussion back on track:

Some direct ports may be necessary if the original launch software lineup is a bit thin. With all the lack of information about the PSP floating around, there's still the chance that developers may not finish enough original games for the PSP at launch. Some ports would help with that - taking advantage of established brands didn't hurt other console launches.

jarrod

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
Huh ? where did I criticize ?
Saying a game is not original is now criticism ?
If I say tekken is not original is it critisism ? It's an observation. . . that's riiiight
It's also wrong... observe more closely in the future.

Ozchin

Of course they are going to say "no ports!" No 1st party in their right mind would send a press release out saying "we don't care if you just port your old crap over."

3rd parties get around that is by adding a +ALPHA to the old game and calling it 2.5 or Hyper-Extreme 2 + ALPHA or whatever they want. If the first party wants "old game + ALPHA", they will approve the game on the grounds that it is more than just a port. If the 1st party doesn't like it, they can just say "no ports" and have a justified reason for shooting down ideas.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ozchin said:
Of course they are going to say "no ports!" No 1st party in their right mind would send a press release out saying "we don't care if you just port your old crap over."

3rd parties get around that is by adding a +ALPHA to the old game and calling it 2.5 or Hyper-Extreme 2 + ALPHA or whatever they want. If the first party wants "old game + ALPHA", they will approve the game on the grounds that it is more than just a port. If the 1st party doesn't like it, they can just say "no ports" and have a justified reason for shooting down ideas.

Did sony by any chance put capcom in charge of this "education class"? hehehe

Ozchin said:

Or if Sony is going by this, they'll just can a game if someone tries to do a direct port. Sony's already shown they have no problem shooting a port down if it's a direct one with no improvements. But as long as they atleast add something to the game it should be fine. I prefer this way than having games I played years ago ported to the PSP with no improvements and no extras.

User 406

Banned
Fuck you Sony. What happened to that nifty idea about identical PSX2 and PSP games that could share save files? I need more time and opportunities to make progress in my already large game backlog, not another batch of games to start from scratch. No sale.

Sea Manky said:
Fuck you Sony. What happened to that nifty idea about identical PSX2 and PSP games that could share save files? I need more time and opportunities to make progress in my already large game backlog, not another batch of games to start from scratch. No sale.

How could they have done that when the PSP and PS2 use diffierent stuff to save your games (atleast I think they do)?

BuddyC

SolidSnakex said:
How could they have done that when the PSP and PS2 use diffierent stuff to save your games (atleast I think they do)?

Supposedly you'd be able to download certain saved games via USB, such as Madden, and continue your Madden game from the road, then upload the changed when you got home.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Didn't Sony have a presentation a year back or so where they suggested they might make a memory stick adapter for the PS2?

Top Bottom