• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY set to JUNK status

Nibel

Sooooo... good time to buy a Ps3?

Since it has God Of War 3, Uncharted 1-3, Heavy Rain, some other games (Journey etc.) and a another batch of good looking ones in the pipeline (The Last Of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, God Of War 4, Versus, The Last Guardian) - you should get one!

I guess I´m part of the problem.. I just bought a LG television.. damn me..

That is not the issue, really.

Comparing TV's released from 2010 and 2012 is insignificant. They are practically the same for the average costumer, thus people do not see the reason in buying a new TV when their old one works just fine.

Either the companies need to take it a step further or get their income from somewhere else.

mclem

Since it has God Of War 3, Uncharted 1-3, Heavy Rain, some other games (Journey etc.) and a another batch of good looking ones in the pipeline (The Last Of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, God Of War 4, Versus, The Last Guardian) - you should get one!

Just... don't hold your breath on that last one.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Why? Parts of the company are quite strong, they still have a high level of brand recognition, and their financial division literally prints money.

Stuff like their TV line will get trimmed down radically, but their gaming division is not where the problem lies.
Cause I took all their ps+

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Sony just needs to restructure and they'll be fine.

You are kind of along the right lines, but there is no "just" about it. It needs fast and brutal restructuring, because the company culture is such that any other sort doesn't work.

I don't think it can any longer be done from inside the company. And that spells to me either interim management, administration or a cheapo buyout. Not a good time to buy stock. Noyt yet.

verbum

Great time to buy stock

I wouldn't put the kids college education money into it. Only money you can afford to lose if they do not turn it around.

Let's look at GM and Chrysler in 2008 and then today. Big companies can turn it around.
Let's look at Blackberry, some companies don't have a clue.
Which one will Sony be? That's the gamble.

PS4 should be reboot of the original Playstation and it would be the one console to rule them all and renaissance of video gaming. Savior to lead us away from the darkness.

*wakes up*

tzare

Sony isn't very healthy , thats a fact, but rating companies are shit and i wonder why people still trust them after all this financial crisis and their huge mistakes.

Cause I took all their ps+

Bad Wario, very bad wario.

PS4 will either save the playstation division or be the new dreamcast.

Also, shouldn't this status have been dropped to after christmas? I know they're analysts and they're making a forecast. But still, good amount of sony products for christmas worldwide.

This move will only make a difference if Sony have to go back to the capital markets soon. They don't, and if they meet their own profit forecasts (which are lowballed, for obvious reasons) they won't have to go back for a few years. The danger for Sony is if the pace of reform slows down, so in a way this move helps Kaz as it gives him the ammunition to make the reforms necessary to get Sony back on track with much less resistance from the old guard on the board and Sony's infamous middle management.

Just like the downgrade of France forced Hollande to make economic reforms, this downgrade of Sony forces the board to allow Kaz to make his reforms.

Agreed the whole Japanese electronics industry has problems. But compare Sony's loss with Panny's: 15.5bn yen vs 700bn yen loss in the previous q. :eek: Degrading Sony's credit is a bit unfair since they were forecasting to return to profitability by the end of FY, the cut will make the way for recovery more difficult.

Are you really trying to spin Sony's losses as not that bad? And just because they forecast a return to profitability doesn't mean they actually will do, remember these are the same forecasts that suggested they'd sell 10 million vita this year, pmsl

Taurus

They've cut losses 75% YoY and are looking at a profit this FY.
They were also looking to sell 16 million portable consoles, which dropped to 12 million, which dropped to 10 million, which drops to what next?

So I wouldn't give that much confidence to their own predictions. Especially if you are an investor.

A bit off topic here, but i thought the VT series was the best from Panasonic, is this accurate?

Yes their flagship tvs, WHEN will they use their Kuro patents properly.

They were also looking to sell 16 million portable consoles, which dropped to 12 million, which dropped to 10 million, which drops to what next?

So I wouldn't give that much confidence to their own predictions. Especially if you are an investor.
Because portable consoles are the only thing Sony sells right?

Erethian

The gaming division may be one of their better performing divisions but its hardly setting the world on fire, anything less than a perfect ps4 launch and it could be game over

Their ability to launch successful hardware since the PS3 was released has also been poor, at best.

I know people like to put the PS4 in its own box and say the Vita's performance has no relevance because they're "more dedicated to the console space" or whatever, but the average investor would look at their handling of it and would be right to feel less confident.

Erethian

This. I love their plasma TVs.

Launch a game console, Samsung. doitdoitdoit

Traditional game consoles are a terrible business to be in if you want to make money, especially for a company like Samsung who could get a waaaaaay better ROI by investing any money they might have otherwise spent on a game console on their mobile/tablet divisions.

This move will only make a difference if Sony have to go back to the capital markets soon. They don't, and if they meet their own profit forecasts (which are lowballed, for obvious reasons) they won't have to go back for a few years. The danger for Sony is if the pace of reform slows down, so in a way this move helps Kaz as it gives him the ammunition to make the reforms necessary to get Sony back on track with much less resistance from the old guard on the board and Sony's infamous middle management.

Just like the downgrade of France forced Hollande to make economic reforms, this downgrade of Sony forces the board to allow Kaz to make his reforms.

Kaz's last major responsibility was the PS3... this man is no steve jobs.

thuway

Why do I get the feeling there are people posting in this thread who couldn't be any happier with this turn of events?

Takao

Banned
Are you really trying to spin Sony's losses as not that bad? And just because they forecast a return to profitability doesn't mean they actually will do, remember these are the same forecasts that suggested they'd sell 10 million vita this year, pmsl

At first I read this as "PlayStation Mobile Service Ladder" and realizing that made no sense in content, or really in general I googled. I got this:

possiably the worst and most unrealistic of internet jargon....
'pissing myself laughing'

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pmsl

Spelling mistake aside, I kind of agree.

This is not sony's prediction...

Sony has pretty much bottomed out and they had an operating last quarter. Its really not a reach at all to say they well be in the black next year.

Corto

So, Naughty Dog goes to Valve. Polyphony Digital goes independent, Media Molecule goes to Nintendo, Sucker Punch goes to Microsoft. David Cage Quantic Dream starts their own movie studio. Team Ico (Fumito Ueda alone) goes iOS, Bend to Facebook games. Sony Santa Monica goes to EA giving technical support to all their internal studios and creating a new next gen Frostbite 3.0.

Kaz is last major responsibility was the PS3... this man is no steve jobs.

No, Ken Kutaragi was responsible for PS3. At the time, Kaz was in charge of software development. Once Ken was moved aside and Kaz was given control in 2007 it was his changes to SCE which rescued the PS3 and turned the unit around. Kaz is responsible for Vita though, which is a device that it 4 years late to the market and was still undercooked.

Takao

Banned
So, Naughty Dog goes to Valve. Polyphony Digital goes independent, Media Molecule goes to Nintendo, Sucker Punch goes to Microsoft. David Cage Quantic Dream starts their own movie studio. Team Ico (Fumito Ueda alone) goes iOS, Bend to Facebook games. Sony Santa Monica goes to EA giving technical support to all their internal studios and creating a new next gen Frostbite 3.0.

aka RIP San Diego Studio, Japan Studio, Guerrilla Games, Cambridge Studio, and Studio London.

Top Bottom