• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Shutting Down a Few Game Servers (Sports Champions/Modnation Vita/Kill Strain)

Am I correct in assuming that you can download tracks on Modnation Racers: Road Trip and save them locally to play in the future once servers go down?

tzare

I think that when online servers for any game are shut down, a patch should be released to allow manual p2p online gaming

Ridley327

Shame that kill strain is shutting down, but I hope this leads Sony to allow the San Diego studio to work on something that is not some sort of free to play game or baseball. Maybe get them to work on a long forgotten ip like midevil or something, I mean I'm sure the studio is making enough money with MLB to justify taking on a risk or two.

If I'm not mistaken, the bulk of the Kill Strain team were already let go months ago. I don't think there's much in SSDS's future other than MLB.

GazzaGSi

Downloaded Kill Strain but never tried it, will clear some hdd space.

MNR is a shame, I had fun with it. Will probably stay as my rarest platinum ever at 0.89%.

sackninja

I came into this thread expecting this and leave happy :). I think Kill strain had low users. I played abit of it, but didn't hold my attention for long. Modnation racers though, thats abit of a surprise

It is a five year old vita game, how many people do you think are playing it. Sony has stats about this stuff, they made these choices for a reason.

It seems to me that cloud computing platforms should have made this problem basically obsolete with their demand-based triggers. If it was entirely or mostly hosted on them, you'd not have to invest in a ton of hardware to stop it crashing in the first, most popular weeks, and it'd gradually shut off (and stop costing you money) as people dip out. In the end if there are still 20 nutters playing Sports Championship in 2017, you're only paying a few dollars a month to serve them.

Top Bottom