• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony started accepting digital preorders for PS4 games on SEN and PS Store

Frumix

Suffering From Success
"Digital" pre-order? What? How does that make any sense? You should pre-order because all the digital copies are gonna be gone?

Extras (preorder DLC) and preloading, mainly.
Well since it's launch though there can't be preloading so it's just Sony saying "You can't wait to give us money? We're ready to take it now!"

Eusis

I'm going to buy Knack then tie my Ethernet cord in a knot. Then on launch day I'll untie it and Knack should start spilling out, right? I'm no networkologist but it sounds right.
You need to have a PS4 plugged in first. You may be able to fool it by writing 4 over the 3 on the PS3 though then quickly pulling and tying it however.

Fredrik

But let's say I go to a friends house.
Download Octodad.
Now, I know I can play in my account on that PS4.
But what if my friend wants to play in HIS account to get trophies?

He can with the PS3. Apparently he will NOT be able to do this with PS4.
Am I reading it right?
That's how I read this too. And that is not good at all. Me and my wife has been sharing the costs on some games on two PS3s, logged in to our individual accounts for trophies etc but that's a no-no for PS4 it seams. :(
It's still good that we don't have to buy two games for the same console though. One for each account. That could easily be the future if things evolve the wrong way.

What's with people thinking that Knack should be a $40 title? Is this because it's not some dudebro shooter where you can headshot people and shout abuse down the internets?

Why shouldn't a title be considered a full price one? What makes for that decision, many would state that something like Beyond shouldn't be full price given the amount of interactivity it shows. But it was more than worth the asking price. People dumbfound me with their beliefs that anything that's not an FPS/Open world game should be considered a budget title. It's clearly had a lot of work gone in to it and deemed to be worthy of the price.

With that watch it bomba!

Metfanant

welcome to the digital age...DRM isn't going anywhere...there are no white knight's in this...you want digital downloads...expect to deal with these types of restrictions from here on out...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was looking back to try to figure out who were first to digital pre-loading and pre-orders. It looks like by November 2006 Steam had it (because RACE--not RAGE, RACE had a pre-order). Anyone know if any other DD services did it before then?

Steam's had the functionality since 2004: those who'd pre-purchased Half-Life 2 were able to download an encrypted 1GB chunk of the game prior to release.

Pop

To me it sounds like we just have to agree to terms the first time only on the second console, going by the Knack info sheet. Then play freely after that. Anyway, I'm hoping it's this way

Edit: Even says on purchasing account's and one-time. I'm sure anyone will be able to play the games on any account on both systems.

spwolf

That's how I read this too. And that is not good at all. Me and my wife has been sharing the costs on some games on two PS3s, logged in to our individual accounts for trophies etc but that's a no-no for PS4 it seams. :(
It's still good that we don't have to buy two games for the same console though. One for each account. That could easily be the future if things evolve the wrong way.

what i get is that it works same as PS3 - you can have 2 activated PS4's, and also you get to use it on any other PS4 as long as you are logged in.

Peeete

what i get is that it works same as PS3 - you can have 2 activated PS4's, and also you get to use it on any other PS4 as long as you are logged in.
Yea that's how I understand it too. It's basically the same as on PS3 + you can play on any other console when you're logged in.

If it's really changed in the way some people think, it would mean the system is now a bit better and a bit worse, both at the same time. You can now play on more than 2 consoles, but you need to be logged in all time if you're not playing on your main console.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yea that's how I understand it too. It's basically the same as on PS3 + you can play on any other console when you're logged in.

If it's really changed in the way some people think, it would mean the system is now a bit better and a bit worse, both at the same time. You can now play on more than 2 consoles, but you need to be logged in all time if you're not playing on your main console.

yes, so that's ok if you want to play on multiple PS4s. But it isn't ok if multiple people want to play on two PS4s (IMO quite a likely scenario in a family for example)

I hope Sony get a lot of noise from consumers on this, as anyone used to the PS3 may find this more restricting. If they made it two devices (like PS3) and a third if you're logged in, that'd be ok. I'd even be ok with the idea of 1 offline, one online. So eg a 'master' PS4 that anyone can log in and play offline, but then the second machine needs to be online - but anyone can play. Then if I want to play on a third machine, that can't happen at the same time as the second machine. So you'd still only have two active at any one time.

One-time license fee for play on purchasing account’s designated, primary PS4™ system and other PS4™ systems when signed in with purchasing account.

Shinta

Banned
Biggest news with this, we now know PS4 content isn't separate, which means PS+ members can amass a PS4 library without the system.

Amazballs.

Fuck yeah. I was wondering about that.

Probably won't have one until early next year, but I wanted to secure Drive Club and Resogun.

Replicant

That part I got. =)
I don't think this will affect me.

But let's say I go to a friends house.
Download Octodad.
Now, I know I can play in my account on that PS4.
But what if my friend wants to play in HIS account to get trophies?

He can with the PS3. Apparently he will NOT be able to do this with PS4.
Am I reading it right?

Not quite. He can do that on PS3 providing that your account is still registered on that PS3 as well. Otherwise he can't play it. So that's counted as 2 console activations. I don't understand how this change with PS4.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking back to try to figure out who were first to digital pre-loading and pre-orders. It looks like by November 2006 Steam had it (because RACE--not RAGE, RACE had a pre-order). Anyone know if any other DD services did it before then?

You could preload Day of Defeat Source in September 2005. Can't recall anything before that.

Jachaos

So... I can do like the 360 and play my digital games at both places I live ? If I'm signed in to my account but don't have connection, what happens ?

tsab

I don't get it. Why should someone preorder a digital game if there is no incentive (like extras)? And since those are day-one launch games (aren't they?) you won't have time to preload them :s

Carl

I don't get it. Why should someone preorder a digital game if there is no incentive (like extras)? And since those are day-one launch games (aren't they?) you won't have time to preload them :s

There are extras.

Anyway, no one is forcing people to preoder them digitally. If you want to do it, do it. If not, don't.

So you don't have to deal with discs anymore and all your games are available from the menu. I absolutely LOVE being able to jump between my digital games on Vita and PSN titles on PS3 so to do that on PS4 is very appealing. Extras? No fucks given.

tsab

There are extras.

Anyway, no one is forcing people to preoder them digitally. If you want to do it, do it. If not, don't.

So you don't have to deal with discs anymore and all your games are available from the menu. I absolutely LOVE being able to jump between my digital games on Vita and PSN titles on PS3 so to do that on PS4 is very appealing. Extras? No fucks given.

I am not against Digital sales. I was talking for this instance, example at least Knack they don't give anything extras, at least the screencap doesn't mention anything and I don't see them running out of digital copies of Knack.
I personally like to double dip on digital version of the games for no discswapping, although I l like having a physical collection.

edit:
You get $10 back if you preorder in Oct so it makes perfect sense.

ok missed that

I am not against Digital sales. I was talking for this instance, example at least Knack they don't give anything extras, at least the screencap doesn't mention anything and I don't see them running out of digital copies of Knack.
I personally like to double dip on digital version of the games for no discswapping, although I l like having a physical collection.

Yeah I love having a shelf of games, but I am honestly done with that now. Less clutter. I hate having shelves of Blu-Rays and CDs in our house. Want them gone now really, not a fan.

ethomaz

Banned
It is up on Brasil PSN too.

And it is saying that Knack is free for PS4 preorders here :-D.

So my launch games: Killzone, Knack (free), DriveClub (free plus upgrade to full) and Resogun (free).

AndyD

aka andydumi
What does the 360 have to do with it. It's more restrictive than it was on the ps3.

Right. I think this is a legitimate concern from people who are used to the PS3 system in their house. Particularly since we are not talking a lot of consoles here, but only two.

What does the 360 have to do with it. It's more restrictive than it was on the ps3.

Sony want to offer a similar set up to that on the 360. My reading of this is that they want to have a roaming account, so you can download your profile onto any PS4 and have access to your games on that PS4. To do that, you have to move away from the 2 console activation set up, otherwise it leaves the system open to abuse.

Mister D

So BF4 up yet?? Only launch game I need. Everything else is gravy so DICE better not screw this up. I really want this game digitally since I'll be playing it so much but if I have to buy the PSN version for PS3 to guaranteee I get the preorder DLC then I'll do it but I'd prefer not to.

spwolf

Sony want to offer a similar set up to that on the 360. My reading of this is that they want to have a roaming account, so you can download your profile onto any PS4 and have access to your games on that PS4. To do that, you have to move away from the 2 console activation set up, otherwise it leaves the system open to abuse.

i thought it has both, since it mentions both 2 activations and roaming.

i thought it has both, since it mentions both 2 activations and roaming.

I see it mention one license and roaming, which is currently how the 360 works. You could buy a game on a friends console and so long as they remain offline, they'll have complete access to that game while you can also download it on your home console but you'll have to be online to play it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We need more launch games up so I can just go to my download list. Not that I won't want to browse the whole system on launch day.

Fan 1 Q:
@yosp @amboyes Bummed about 1 console online at a time with ps4 digital games. Rules out me & @DangerWife buying 2 ps4s. Love that on ps3.

Shuhei Yoshida aka The Big Boss:
@atPeteDodd @feedmydolphin @amboyes @DangerWife so @DangerWife can play on your "home" machine and you can play on another at the same time
7:22am - 16 Oct 13

aro52

Fan 1 Q:

Shuhei Yoshida aka The Big Boss:

The weird thing about the way Shuhei describes it, is if I wanted to share games with my brother, I'd have to make his PS4 my "home" console, and then he would make my PS4 his "home" console. If I read that right, then we'd each be able to play under our own PSN IDs; ala PS3. That's so weird.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The weird thing about the way Shuhei describes it, is if I wanted to share games with my brother, I'd have to make his PS4 my "home" console, and then he would make my PS4 his "home" console. If I read that right, then we'd each be able to play under our own PSN IDs; ala PS3. That's so weird.

It is weird, but it curbs gamesharing with unknown strangers across the net while allowing legitimate use as he describes (family play) and you sharing with your brother. The thing is you can change what machine is the "home" machine at will from what they said, so it's no biggie really.

I see it mention one license and roaming, which is currently how the 360 works. You could buy a game on a friends console and so long as they remain offline, they'll have complete access to that game while you can also download it on your home console but you'll have to be online to play it.

I've got 2 x 360s. If I bought a game under my account on my wife's Xbox we could play online together at same time. I just had to be signed in online on my own Xbox. One doesn't have to be offline AFAIK if you want to play at the same time.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Warframe went AWOL on the store. Anybody knows why?
If you've "bought" it, it's still on your purchases list though.

Top Bottom