• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to get Call of Duty Black Ops 3 DLC first

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd be pissed if sony was preventing the content from arriving on Xbox. They're not. timed exclusives are frustrating but theyre not the end of the world.

RoKKeR

The cod dlc deal is worth 10 final fantasy 7 remakes when it comes to selling consoles in the US. It was one of the biggest things to come out of e3, and they said this is just the beginning for the partnership. To downplay it is hilarious.

P.s. both those other 2 shooters have PlayStation marketing.
I am fully aware. What I'm saying is the CoD deal isn't as big as some make it out to be when there are games like Destiny and Battlefront taking over. I understand Sony has marketing on all of those, but I honestly don't think the CoD deal is as impactful as it would have been in say 2010.

But I tire quickly of talking about marketing deals of all things, especially when there are so many great games to talk about today. Besides, it usually leads to bullshit exclusive DLC which I find to be a cancer no matter where it's found.

did anyone else hear that is was Activision who approached Sony for this deal? I thought I heard something about that from the GiantBombcast guys.

ILoveBish

I am fully aware. What I'm saying is the CoD deal isn't as big as some make it out to be when there are games like Destiny and Battlefront taking over. I understand Sony has marketing on all of those, but I honestly don't think the CoD deal is as impactful as it would have been in say 2010.

But I tire quickly of talking about marketing deals of all things, especially when there are so many great games to talk about today. Besides, it usually leads to bullshit exclusive DLC which I find to be a cancer no matter where it's found.

Regardless of how you think of it, it's a huge, enormous big deal. And that is why Microsoft paid millions to make sure they had it before. Making people wait for dlc is garbage, but it's obviously an extremely effective move that goes far beyond systems sold.

Bsigg12

did anyone else hear that is was Activision who approached Sony for this deal? I thought I heard something about that from the GiantBombcast guys.

Yea, I heard that same thing on their coverage. It sounds like Microsoft possibly turned it down so they approached Sony, according to some of the duders over at Giantbomb.

rokkerkory

The meltdowns are real
I think I saw a death threat or two already on Twitter.

It's cool, was expecting something more neutral. They haven't said how long of a timed exclusive it is though, so there's that.
PC again gets nothin, o well.

What that is so stupid lol

I knkw it's business, but this was so disrespectful of Activison to do this to Microsoft after HOW MUCH they helped the Call of Duty brand. At least apologize to Xbox fans or Phil Spencer on Twitter!

That being said, smart of Sony. I hope they're going to be hosting Call of Duty tournaments like Microsoft!

I think it was MS who eventually decided it wasnt worth it anymore and yeah. Acti would totally want to get another first party to chip in on marketing.

My basic understanding from putting bits and pieces together / straight up guessing.

MS originally had a 5 year deal with COD marketing.
Then that ran out and its been renewed it for a year or two ever since 2012 or so.
It was costing them a bunch. Probably the most expensive 3rd party marketing deal going.
Then the gen shift happened and things went the PS4's way in a big way.
Cod was selling more on PS4 and it did it 2 games in a row.

It wasn't worth the arm and a leg MS was paying anymore and they decided not to renew.

Its no secret that Activison was taking a percentage of all XBL Gold memberships for the deal and was the main cause for Gold jumping from 60 instead of 50. And also probably not a coincidence this deal ending may have caused MS to drop the price of gold a few months ago.

Now Sony probably are not paying what MS was paying at the end of their deal but they are probably still paying a nice chunk of change. Will be interesting to see if Sony increases the price of Plus though.

Bsigg12

I knkw it's business, but this was so disrespectful of Activison to do this to Microsoft after HOW MUCH they helped the Call of Duty brand. At least apologize to Xbox fans or Phil Spencer on Twitter!

That being said, smart of Sony. I hope they're going to be hosting Call of Duty tournaments like Microsoft!

From what we know at this moment, there is no Call of Duty World Championships next year. That could change though.

well, what ever happened I hope Sony didn't give up too much to partner up. I say let Activision market their own shit and throw that money back into some network infrastructure.

The meltdowns are real
I think I saw a death threat or two already on Twitter.

lol, links?

Goddard

It's really, really fucking sad that the game isn't even out yet and console manufacturers are fighting for exclusive DLC for a period of time.

paulogy

So Sony gets the big three FPS games? Never been a fan of exclusive DLCs but man Sony has to be real happy right now

More like playing catch-up. At this point we seem to have yet another Fall season without compelling exclusives on PS4, so they seem to be locking down whatever they can from 3rd parties. Battlefront, Assasin's Creed, Destiny and now even COD. If they had their own 1st party offerings ready for 4Q15 I think they'd back off on the 3rd party exclusive deals. So I see this as a bit reactionary more than anything.

A_Gorilla

Banned
More like playing catch-up. At this point we seem to have yet another Fall season without compelling exclusives on PS4, so they seem to be locking down whatever they can from 3rd parties. Battlefront, Assasin's Creed, Destiny and now even COD. If they had their own 1st party offerings ready for 4Q15 I think they'd back off on the 3rd party exclusive deals. So I see this as a bit reactionary more than anything.

How is leading 2:1 worldwide "playing catch-up?"

krang

Do not like. I hated this shit when Xbox got it first and I hate it now.

It would be worth worrying about if CoD wasn't way past its best.

Well, I say "best"...

Destiny was a better horse to back, this gen. Still a shitty practice from the consumer's PoV, though.

paulogy

How is leading 2:1 worldwide "playing catch-up?"

I meant purely from a games lineup perspective. The sales lead is clearly 2 to 1, if not greater than that, with no signs of stopping. But if they have another barren holiday, how long will that trend continue?

Darksol

I meant purely from a games lineup perspective. The sales lead is clearly 2 to 1, if not greater than that, with no signs of stopping. But if they have another barren holiday, how long will that trend continue?

Forever. The gap is growing, and MS only has two markets which care about its product.

Also, most games bought are multiplats, not exclusives.

I wish sony took whatever money they paid for this deal and bought crash from activision. I hate these marketing deals and dlc first crap.

Messiek

I must say that the DLC 'first on' thing is lame, but being someone that didn't like to wait 1 month while xbox was having fun with the dlc, zombies mostly, it feels so good to have it first now. It's such a revenge, I can't wait to play those dlcs ahead of xbox.

I don't approve the practice but the context makes me feel like that, and it feels really good. lol

I'd be pissed if sony was preventing the content from arriving on Xbox. They're not. timed exclusives are frustrating but theyre not the end of the world.

I lived an entire generation with Xbox gamers getting first dibs on practically everything. Seeing COD DLC announcements only to be told I can't play it on my console until some time later was a massive turnoff.

I guess xbox gamers will understand that frustration of mine by the end of this generation's cycle; they don't know what they had until it's gone. And it's gone.

I know GAF will not care about this, but this is perhaps the biggest announcement of the entire E3 so far.

TLG re-revealed

Backwards Compatibility on Xbox One

Rare Collection 30 games for $30

FF7 remake

MS starting an early access program.

And you really think this is the biggest announcement? Get real.

Madness

I wonder how salty MS is over Sony having this new deal with CoD.

Seems they turned down what Activision wanted and Sony instead paid for the exclusivity.

They're gonna miss MS though. Microsoft even gave them priority over Halo. The world Championships, the 1tb advanced Warfare bundle whereas MCC got nothing last holiday, the hardware support with Microsoft and MLG.

But it's a good pickup for Sony. They struggle with shooters and now have exclusivity with three of the biggest shooter IP's (Destiny, Battlefront and now Black Ops 3).

El_Chino

Microsoft basically traded Black Ops 3 for Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Halo 5. I don't blame them.

Happy Sony gets this side of CoD for once at least!

Rupe

Neo Member
It's shitty practices, it has always been. Can you blame them or MS for doing it, though? Look at the NPD numbers for Destiny release month and you get a clear picture on why these deals happen. More than the exclusive content, the marketing campaign will associate those big games with the brand. Some bundles and a price cut, sony will be selling PS4's like there's a FF7 Remake on the way...

That was fucking shite.

Well done Sony for wasting that playstation plus sub money with this shit. Fuck me. Are they turning into Microsoft. Fuck that.

Smh.....

Activision must be laughing there greedy fucking arses off.

Sony look like a bunch of fucking mugs with this deal. Perhaps they could have invested the money in bringing TLG up to fucking standard ffs.

What? Link?

samar11

Forever. The gap is growing, and MS only has two markets which care about its product.

Also, most games bought are multiplats, not exclusives.

These deals Sony made with Act and EA for end of year is bigger then Microsoft's exclusives.

Anything console exclusive will get destroyed by the Publishing giants. Sony made a
smart move by not releasing UC4.

Kysen

The irony is that this will have no effect in the US(whole point of the deal). What a waste of money. Idiots are clearly running SCEA.

TLG re-revealed

Backwards Compatibility on Xbox One

Rare Collection 30 games for $30

FF7 remake

MS starting an early access program.

And you really think this is the biggest announcement? Get real.

In terms of real dollars, having an edge in the COD department is more important than all of your bullet points. Combined.

I know that living in the GAF hardcore bubble makes that incredibly hard to for you to comprehend, but it's true.

Dizzy

Banned
This is huge. You can really tell that the pendulum is swinging the other way this gen.

It was interesting how microsoft didnt announce any time exclusive dlc yesterday despite having like 20 games do it the past two years.

Malcolm9

What a waste of money...

You do realise this will help Sony sell even more consoles, so it's not really a waste of money.

COD is still a massive game, and having timed exclusivity on the DLC will make the PS4 look even more attractive.

To me it's a much bigger pull than the Xbox One having 360 BC.

Sony look like a bunch of fucking mugs with this deal. Perhaps they could have invested the money in bringing TLG up to fucking standard ffs.
Marketing and development have separate budgets.

I want to know the business behind these moves and if they actually pay off.
From the platform holder's perspective, it's a little something extra for their users, which doesn't cost them anything at all, because they were planning to advertise their platform anyway. Sony were already planning to run commercials that say, "Buy a PS4 because games." Now, they'll spend the same money to run commercials which say, "Buy a PS4 because BLOPS," instead. The "early" DLC is nice for Sony's current users, but more importantly, it attracts new users to the platform. If you're a huge CoD fan who hasn't moved to Gen8 yet, which platform are you gonna pick now? What if you're a Star Wars fan? Mad Max? Destiny? Ass Creed? Probably some others I'm forgetting? If you like games, you should get a PS4. It's where all of the third parties have set up camp, and you get stuff like Uncharted and Horizon on top of that.

From the publisher's perspective, it's free money. They need to advertise their new game, and advertising ain't cheap. If someone else offers to pay for it, that's a pretty big win for them. More than enough to cover any potential losses from delaying DLC on "the other platform," especially when that platform has less than a third of your customers.

If these deals weren't a win for all involved, they wouldn't still be around after a decade, but here we are.

and the cycle continues

I'm honestly glad MS isn't wasting money on COD anymore
See above. This deal just means you're gonna see twice as many Halo commercials now.

Still if it makes Sony money and Sony use that to fund real games then I can tolerate it.
That's the plan. This deal — especially in combination with their other deals — will attract a ton of new users to their platform. Once on board, they'll be getting all of their games from Sony, and then Sony can reinvest that back in to the platform, making more games, etc.

sw-pizza2dyo9m.gif
lol Nice one.

Edit:
To me it's a much bigger pull than the Xbox One having 360 BC.
For the average gamer? As in, those who haven't even upgraded to Gen8 yet? Without question, this is far, far bigger.

Eh, I see some people are angry about this but honestly I don't really care. It's DLC that you can buy but a bit later, whatever. If we have to have exclusivity deals this is by far the lesser evil.

Top Bottom