• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

golem

If The Order is being made by (what I assume) the smaller team at SM, what are the majority of SM working on?

I really hope its a new IP. Whatever game this main team announce is obviously gonna be pretty massive as it's one of Sony's Big Three with ND and Polyphony.
The Order is being made by Ready at Dawn

prwxv3

I know that the talent is not the same as it once was but I do hope that rare is not stuck making kinect games for the rest of its life

Spongebob

Banned
On the Western front, both ND and SSM are pretty much the big two.

- ND have pretty much proven their worth in a huge way. So, SCE will cater to their needs. Also, Uncharted isn't going away, as if it wasn't obvious already. It'll be back. But, they will inevitably return with something else too. Whatever they do, their games are quality, so they're a showcase developer for SCE.

- SSM is SSM. God of War is the biggest action franchise there is, and massive IP for SCE. Now, they also have a new IP in the works to create something different and build another franchise. Considering the level of quality with God of War, this could be pretty amazing.

- GG has talent and whilst Killzone has been successful, it didn't quite explode like Uncharted or God of War. Now, they have the opportunity with their new IP to have a bit of a fresh start and build themselves into a top tier SCE developer. I'm curious to see if they can deliver, but I feel a genre change will do them good. They're big enough to do both FPS and something else.

- Sucker Punch has a lot of expectation on them. Personally, I think they will rise to the occasion this coming generation. Infamous is the most impressive PS4 title I've seen, and they have a very good opportunity with the early showcase to really make an impact. If they do manage to wow with Infamous, then that's just a big bonus because it'll help them with their next project in the future too. They need to knock this out of the park because Infamous can sell a lot this time. I have a good feeling about them though.

- Media Molecule's LBP has basically printed a lot of money for SCE. It's a unique title. So, their new project should hopefully be an interesting experiment at the least.

The other studios also have various things in the works, but the above five, are the ones who got the most attention in the West with their franchises. Some others will show up, and get their opportunity to shine, but I imagine, with ND and SSM dominating at the top, SP, MM and GG stand a good chance of joining them depending on how these next few years go.

On the Japan side:.

- PD print money. They are the Emperor of SCE developers. Expect PS4 GT between the latter half of next year and March 2015. They'll show up earlier this time.

- 'Unannounced JRPG 1' (one I've mentioned before) will end up appearing. And I'm sure this has a good chance to melt the hardcore. It should be successful, at least, on the level of Infamous or Killzone maybe.

- The Last Guardian will finally show up. So, people will finally get this title out of the way. I don't know what will happen with Team Ueda beyond this project, but they have talent, so I imagine they'll be integrated into SCEJ's other teams, or they might modify the team and give a new leader so they can continue with other projects. I really don't know though. It will be interesting.

- 'Unannounced JRPG 2' will be SCE's second attempt at a big game emulating FF. If this comes to fruition, and is successful, then there is a franchise opportunity which can be exploited. Probably the most experimental project as if it bombs, then they'll never touch anything like it again. I don't think it will though. With the advent of FF15, KH3, and the announcement of FF16 sometime between 2014-2015, Japan gamers will be ready for this. The big question mark is whether they can translate some of that success to the West which will obviously be an aim.

I think, right now, is the most exciting time at SCE WWS. Last generation, a lot of effort went into stabilising the developers, building IPs, re-structuring, and getting some real strength on the first party front. There were a lot of things happening. In a way, the effort was so Western focused, that SCEJ was slightly neglected. However, with the foundation there, all that is needed now is for SCE to fine tune things rather than re-vamp them. This means, the potential is there to expand tried and tested teams further, both in SCEA/SCEE and in SCEJ.

Basically, I'd expect even more content from SCE WWS with the PS4 than with the PS3. This will be a great time to be a Playstation owner, both for new IP, sequels to some existing IP, and maybe a few blasts from the past.
Exciting times to come.

Replicant

Verendus, stahp. I don't want to have unrealistic expectations. I do hope those games turned out to be interesting and awesome.

ReaperXL7

The Order is developed by Ready at Dawn. Pretty sure SSM is just supervising. The big team is working on a new IP (Stig's project).

SSM does allot of things, but we know they have two main teams, The team that just released GOW:A, and Stigs team, but SSM also does allot of work with helping other developers on Sonys hardware, thats why allot of games not directly developed by SSM have their logo in the title sequence.

Naughty Dog has two teams that we know of, the team that just released Last of Us, and the team that released Uncharted 3.

GG has two teams, Killzone Shadowfall, and the other is working on a new IP. This was restated by herman hulst at E3.

MM has two teams now, the Team Making tareaway, and a team working on Something for PS4

I dont think we know a ton about SCEJ right now, or how many teams they have, but its atleast a few since we hwve The Last Guardian, The Puppeteer, Rain, and Freedom Wars all coming from SCEJ.

I dont know if it was ever confimed if Sucker Punch was two teams yet, or if they are still just the one.

Thats something that excites me, is that Sony is growing their internal teams considerably, and if quality does not drop then we should be getting consistantly great games pretty frequently once they all get caught up on PS4.

Loudninja

Dont forget about Housemarque!
Helsinki, Finland, May 23 – Housemarque, the award winning developer of downloadable hit titles such as Dead Nation, Outland and Super Stardust HD, announced they are hard at work on a (still unnamed) “spiritual successor” to the Super Stardust franchise. The game will be released as a PlayStation®4 (PS4) exclusive
Following a long-standing tradition of partnerships with Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios Europe, Housemarque is currently busy with the above-mentioned title along with another unannounced PS4 project. More information on both games will be released in the upcoming months.
http://www.housemarqueblog.com/hous...ardust-franchise-on-playstation-4/2013/05/23/

AznSniper

Tarsier Studios are working on a new IP for the SCE. Probably for PS4. One of the new IPs maybe. Apparently they have upwards to 100 people in the studio now as stated in a recent interview. They worked on LittleBigPlanet Vita. They recently appointed a DICE veteran as the new CEO to lead the development on their new IP.

http://tarsier.se/blog/tarsier-studios-appoints-dice-veteran-as-new-ceo

Ovosonico are also working on a new IP for SCE. Probably a PSN or Vita title considering the studio is small. The studio is lead by Massimo Guarini who directed Shadows of the Damned and Naruto's Rise of the Ninja.

http://www.ovosonico.com/pressrelease/ovosonico-signs-with-sony/

Where does Undead Labs fit into all this? They aren't a first party studio, but their IP is owned by MS and they don't intend to work on anything else based on what they've said in the past.

Second Party?

2 Questions for Verendus or anyone else with sources/ties to Sony

Is Wipeout franchise dead or could we see another for PS4?

Are the rumours about Demons Souls 2 coming to Ps4 true?

Sure, I'll focus on the PL.

Naughty Dog: Manchester United
Poliphony Digital: Chelsea
Sony Santa Monica: Manchester City
Guerilla Games: Liverpool
Media Molecule: Everton
Sucker Punch: Arsenal
Evolution: Aston Villa
Quantic Dream: Tottenham Hotspur

Insomniac - Stockport County

I know its only fair, but I wonder if Ready At Dawn kind of wish SSM's name hadn't been put on that trailer. It seems to have caused a lot of confusion, so rather than people saying 'this is RAD's big break, let's see how they cope with the pressures of developing a game that absolutely needs to succeed, not just for their general future, but to prove to Sony that they're desrving of a spot in the top stable' they're arguing about which SSM team is developing it :p

Also, Liverpool would be Rare :(

wizzbang

Banned
Q-Games have basically sworn their allegiance to Sony again for this round (via Dylan on twitter) so maybe more Pixel Junk products too.

WolvenOne

Gonna say that Sony has this one, easily. Not just because of what they currently have in development, but because Microsoft merely treats exclusives as a means to an end.

Case in point, during the lifespan on the 360, Microsoft published several exclusives, including Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, and Gears of War. However, not even halfway into the consoles lifespan, those exclusives slowed to a trickle, until you could only count on mainstays like Halo, Forza, and Gears to remain exclusive.

This is because Microsoft saw these exclusives, as no more than a means to build a user base. Their overall strategy has always been to use X-Box live to leverage a larger userbase. Once it had a large enough user base it didn't need those exclusives. People would choose the 360 over the PS3, because their friends were on XBL, and they wanted to be able to play with their friends.

After this point, Microsoft was only interested in exclusives they believe were guaranteed sellers, since they deliver the absolute largest amount of profits for the least amount of work.

Sony on the other hand, has developed a tendency to dabble in projects that, "aren't," guaranteed sellers. Look at The Last of Us, this is not the sort of game that you see coming out of some numbers obsessed committee. It's somber, often slow paced, and frequently the exact opposite of the sort of power fantasies that most videogames revel in.

No, The Last of Us, like many of Sony's exclusives over the past few years, stands out. It's clear that Sony, desperately wishes to be seen as something unique on the market.

From a business standpoint, this makes sense. Look at Microsoft, if some competitor came along and found a way to completely undermine them, what would be lost exactly? From a purely artistic stand point, there isn't much Microsoft publishes that is strictly unique. Halo is about the closest thing they have to a first party franchise with a distinct artistic style, and thats about it.

Assuming Sony keeps up their pace of exclusives, and manage to establish new franchises at about the same rate. Eventually, they reach the point where they're artistically indispensable. Look at Nintendo for example, despite their infrequent introduction of new IP, they've brought so many artistically unique properties to the industry that nobody can picture them going away completely. They have a guaranteed audience, even if it isn't single handedly enough to make them a run away hit. This audience guarantees some level of relevance, at least until Nintendo runs things into the ground.

This, is what Sony is aiming for. Microsoft is relevant because of features, because of traits that can be copied by any company with money and sufficient know how. Sony, wants to be relevant because of unique games. They want to be impossible to ignore, for traits that cannot be easily copied by its competitors.

So Sony will continue in invest in studios, and in exclusives, throughout their consoles lifespan. Microsoft will stop, the moment they feel their user base is sufficient, assuming they reach that point.

As such, because of this different approach, Sony is going to win the exclusive fight in the long term. The only way I even see Microsoft making a sustained effort, is if they end up struggling far more than they did during the 360 effort.

Granted, that actually is highly possible, depending on how things go.

Verendus

Banned
2 Questions for Verendus or anyone else with sources/ties to Sony

Is Wipeout franchise dead or could we see another for PS4?
I wouldn't say it's dead, but I don't believe there is anything Wipeout related in development right now. Who knows what happens with it in the future.
Are the rumours about Demons Souls 2 coming to Ps4 true?
Yes. When it appears, whether with a new name or not, it'll be obvious what it is.

boinx

Seems like Sony ain't really relying on third party exclusives at all anymore. Good on them i say, just keep investing on your first party and you'll have the top studios of the world developing only for your platforms.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's no contest. Not only are the games from Sony's studios of much higher quality, but the releases are more frequent. Has Microsoft even released anything since the holidays?

The few decent franchises I felt they had like Fable and Crackdown went to shit. Crimson Skies and Mechassault are dead with the original teams disbanded. They just don't care.
I'm not even that impressed with 343 Studios. They knew how to get some impressive graphics out of the 360, but they don't know how to create an objective that doesn't involve hitting a switch. Alan Wake is probably the one ip of theirs I really like that they haven't screwed up yet.

Replicant

With Sony, I know the console will be supported right to the end of its lifespan. I mean FFS, it's almost the end of PS3 and yet I'm still drowning in quality games and a few more like Beyond has yet to make an appearance. And thanks to PS+, my backlog is ever-increasing. I'll have enough to play on PS3 while PS4 building decent amount of software library for itself.

They knew how to get some impressive graphics out of the 360, but they don't know how to create an objective that doesn't involve hitting a switch.

Don't forget the levels where you had to insert Cortana into the USB slot!!

@ WolvenOne

Great post, and I really do agree. I have a lot of respect for Sony because of their first party efforts; constantly investing in unique games and new IPs. They've really shamed MS and Ninty this generation in terms of first-party investments, and I think that will really pay off next gen.

dr_rus

Well, MS definitely has significantly stronger studios than Sony does. Sucker Punch aside, I don't see anyone who's developed a game that's been as good as something from Remedy, Capy, or Capcom Vancouver.
Not even one of those studios are MS's studios.

I wouldn't say it's dead, but I don't believe there is anything Wipeout related in development right now. Who knows what happens with it in the future.

Yes. When it appears, whether with a new name or not, it'll be obvious what it is.

Is it Deep Down? The new pick shown with the character on screen reminded me of Demon Souls...

Sid

Holy crap,new thread worthy IMO (on mobile).

Shiggy

Why does the OP list two Rare teams? While they hired lots of new employees, they were only to replace veterans. Since the release of KS1, they only have one team and I doubt that has changed.

Cesar

Banned
I didn't know about a "spiritual successor" to Super Stardust. That's very cool, can't wait to see how crazy it will get on PS4 hardware.

kortez320

Microsoft has clearly expanded their first party stable by a large amount over the last few years. This is good news for Xbox fans.

As of right this minute Sony has the more proven stable but outside of ND, Polyphony and SSM I think most of their teams are mediocre. Not bad just not as amazing as people say.

I know its only fair, but I wonder if Ready At Dawn kind of wish SSM's name hadn't been put on that trailer. It seems to have caused a lot of confusion, so rather than people saying 'this is RAD's big break, let's see how they cope with the pressures of developing a game that absolutely needs to succeed, not just for their general future, but to prove to Sony that they're desrving of a spot in the top stable' they're arguing about which SSM team is developing it :p

Also, Liverpool would be Rare :(

SSM's name appears first in Journey. I don't think anyone thinks it's a SSM game.

harSon

Banned
Where does Undead Labs fit into all this? They aren't a first party studio, but their IP is owned by MS and they don't intend to work on anything else based on what they've said in the past.

Second Party?

Certain Affinity (Halo Anniversary) and Playground Games (Forza Horizon) are some other 2nd party possibilities.

KAL2006

Banned
Gonna say that Sony has this one, easily. Not just because of what they currently have in development, but because Microsoft merely treats exclusives as a means to an end.

Case in point, during the lifespan on the 360, Microsoft published several exclusives, including Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, and Gears of War. However, not even halfway into the consoles lifespan, those exclusives slowed to a trickle, until you could only count on mainstays like Halo, Forza, and Gears to remain exclusive.

This is because Microsoft saw these exclusives, as no more than a means to build a user base. Their overall strategy has always been to use X-Box live to leverage a larger userbase. Once it had a large enough user base it didn't need those exclusives. People would choose the 360 over the PS3, because their friends were on XBL, and they wanted to be able to play with their friends.

After this point, Microsoft was only interested in exclusives they believe were guaranteed sellers, since they deliver the absolute largest amount of profits for the least amount of work.

Sony on the other hand, has developed a tendency to dabble in projects that, "aren't," guaranteed sellers. Look at The Last of Us, this is not the sort of game that you see coming out of some numbers obsessed committee. It's somber, often slow paced, and frequently the exact opposite of the sort of power fantasies that most videogames revel in.

No, The Last of Us, like many of Sony's exclusives over the past few years, stands out. It's clear that Sony, desperately wishes to be seen as something unique on the market.

From a business standpoint, this makes sense. Look at Microsoft, if some competitor came along and found a way to completely undermine them, what would be lost exactly? From a purely artistic stand point, there isn't much Microsoft publishes that is strictly unique. Halo is about the closest thing they have to a first party franchise with a distinct artistic style, and thats about it.

Assuming Sony keeps up their pace of exclusives, and manage to establish new franchises at about the same rate. Eventually, they reach the point where they're artistically indispensable. Look at Nintendo for example, despite their infrequent introduction of new IP, they've brought so many artistically unique properties to the industry that nobody can picture them going away completely. They have a guaranteed audience, even if it isn't single handedly enough to make them a run away hit. This audience guarantees some level of relevance, at least until Nintendo runs things into the ground.

This, is what Sony is aiming for. Microsoft is relevant because of features, because of traits that can be copied by any company with money and sufficient know how. Sony, wants to be relevant because of unique games. They want to be impossible to ignore, for traits that cannot be easily copied by its competitors.

So Sony will continue in invest in studios, and in exclusives, throughout their consoles lifespan. Microsoft will stop, the moment they feel their user base is sufficient, assuming they reach that point.

As such, because of this different approach, Sony is going to win the exclusive fight in the long term. The only way I even see Microsoft making a sustained effort, is if they end up struggling far more than they did during the 360 effort.

Granted, that actually is highly possible, depending on how things go.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Microsoft pays for the odd 3rd party exclusives at the beginning of the generation. While Sony is in it for the long term.

Ushae

Banned
Next gen hasn't even started yet and were arguing exclusives and their calibre. Cant we just enjoy them all? Personally I think MS will be bringing hard with exclusive development in the first year.

Sony will bring the usual excellence, which I really hope they maintain.

KC

Break the above two letter code, and get your answer.

REVEN GNIKCUF?

anyway, no offense Verendus but I trust you as far as I can throw you, and advise anyone else to take the same tact.

No one knows shit like this with any certainty, becuase even the companies can't call this stuff with any certainty at the moment. Although I do agree we'll see a Demon's Souls 2.

USC-fan

Banned
The biggest problem with Ms first party is most of their games do not come to pc. Just blows my mind that ms still treats the pc as the redheaded step child.

To re-iterate? Could it possibly be Deep Down? Style seemed very reminscent and the lack of an announcement for Xbone might make more sense.

Deep Down is capcom's try at remodeling Dragon's Dogma to be more like Skyrim.

Having played Dragon's Dogma dark arisen, the small clip they've shown at the PS4 unveil is more like Dragon's dogma than dark souls.

Hah! No, there are around 40 people here. :)
Where did you see that interview?

I think it was referring to both Mattias' studio and Tarsier Malmo. Would that make it closer?

EDIT: Although even then as far as I know about you guys it's downwards of 100...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom