• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will refund consumers over ‘deceiving’ PlayStation Vita ads

Generally speaking since i've seen this being mentioned many times, i'm curious about what type of caring people are requesting, or what they find reasonable that should be done regarding caring in this case. I dont think anyone would argue against that the companies care about if the consumer is happy or unhappy with them. Afterall, companies exist soley because of their consumers (unless there is some goverment funding or something), so its clear that they care about their consumers in some way. So what type of level of caring beyond this are people thinking about?
Companies exist solely because of their investors and/or owners. The consumer is merely a means to an end and that end is profit.

test_account

XP-39C²
Companies exist solely because of their investors and/or owners. The consumer is merely a means to an end and that end is profit.
That might be, that is why i'm wondering which level of care people feel that is naturally missing (at least when people say that companies doesnt give a shit about the consumers, i read that like they feel that something is naturally missing, or that things should naturally be different, so i'm just curious what level of care that is expected). Like i mentioned, i dont think anyone would argue against that companies doesnt care about if their consumers are happy or not. They have to do that, otherwise the companies will go out of business if the consumers arent happy with the companies' products and/or services.

EDIT: I also think its worth mentioning that those who work for a company are for the most part people just like me and you. I'm sure that you are working for a company, or perhaps having a business of your own. Would you say that you dont care about your consumers at all? I'm positive that you care to a very acceptable level. Personally, i work at retail and i care enough that i want the consumers to be happy with the service. I think that is at an acceptable level of care. I dont think people are that much different regardless which company they're working for. I mean, there are obviously expections, but i think it gives a false picture to say that companies doesnt care anything about their consumers.

Derpyduck

Banned
Just saw a story about this on Huffpo and also my local news ran a story on it. Sounds like we'll be getting our 50 in PS store credit soon (or 25 in cash if you so choose). The story on my local news said Sony intends to contact people who qualify via the email address you have on file with them.

test_account

XP-39C²
I bought one in feb. 2012, do i have to have my receipt to get this money?
I think that is the only way that you can prove that you've bought it before that certain date. Its probably possible to check on the serial number when the Vita was created, but that doesnt prove when it was sold.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just saw a story about this on Huffpo and also my local news ran a story on it. Sounds like we'll be getting our 50 in PS store credit soon (or 25 in cash if you so choose). The story on my local news said Sony intends to contact people who qualify via the email address you have on file with them.

The FTC public comment period ends on 12/29. Sometime after that the FTC finalizes the ruling. I wouldn't expect to see these until February.

I really likw my Vita and the rest of y Sony products. The PS2 was the best console I ever owned.

But fuck Sony for using misleading advertisements.

I got my Vita in November of 2012 from the AssCreed bundle on Amazon, so I won't be getting any credit but anyone who does get it, but opts out due to an irrational sense of loyalty to Sony, deserves to be ridiculed for their obstinate foolishness.

Oersted

#4theplayers. Sorry, couldn´t resist. And yes, the consumer is the lowest in the foodchain, but that isn´t really a reason for not caring about him/herself. On the contrary, actually.

just checked my amazon account, Ordered on February 14, 2012, so I should be good! Can't believe I got a first edition bundle, what could have been with the vita :(

Not exactly. Firms exist solely because there are economic demands to be satisfied. How their net revenue is apportioned depends on the structure of the firm; private (i.e. not-worker-owned) companies are built around maximizing dividends to the owners/investors. Sony (and most other companies) follow this model.
Capitalism is gross.

Matriox

It occurred to me today that I still havn't seen anything about this yet on my account or emails, has this already been resolved and I missed it?

Fisty

It occurred to me today that I still havn't seen anything about this yet on my account or emails, has this already been resolved and I missed it?

Same here, got one from Amazon on launch. We didnt have to sign up for anything right?

jax

Banned
I bought a Vita at launch, and sold it a few months afterwards because lol, vita. Where's my free shit?

June 1, 2012? Damn, I'm out of range.

Well, it would have been nice to have 50$ to use it buying more awesome Vita games lol

I would assume that they will send emails based on who registered Vitas within the date ranges. So the first person to sign into PSN on a Vita would have registered that device...at least I would hope, because I don't have the receipt anymore :/

Muzicfreq

Banned
Not-This-Shit-Again-anime-28533251-604-340.jpg

HsWLCY7.gif

I dunno what they advertised that we don't have.
Then again I only bought one last year. I would play it... if I traveled more.

WAIT!
I'VE GOT IT!
It must be THIS!
GANEQmT.jpg

The email that came after the online application said that there will be a hearing on May 1, 2015 to approve the settlement, so I doubt anything will be given out before then.

Edit: Woops, ignore that. Got my class-action lawsuits over Sony corporate screw-ups confused. My apologies.

Fisty

The email that came after the online application said that there will be a hearing on May 1, 2015 to approve the settlement, so I doubt anything will be given out before then.

I think that was the settlement involving the PSN hack in 2011, I remember that email.

Minions

So is there no form to fill out like other class action-esque things?

I bought a 3G and a Wifi Vita. I don't think I ever got a email from Amazon. Both were purchased Feb 2012.

Takao

Banned
The Vita settlement info hasn't gone live yet. Might be a few months yet as courts are slow.

Given the 2011 hack settlement only applied to US users despite it being a global outage, I expect the same to happen here.

Fisty

The Vita settlement info hasn't gone live yet. Might be a few months yet as courts are slow.

Given the 2011 hack settlement only applied to US users despite it being a global outage, I expect the same to happen here.

I think the courts have already decided on both matters, but the deadline for applying to get Psn hack monies hasnt been reached so we have to wait for that. We're just waiting on Sony to get the ball rolling on the Vita credit, they'll probably send out an email asking if you want cash or credit, then another long wait for compensation

Also the FTC and US courts were the ones that decided both cases, so naturally these would only apply to US users

aznpxdd

Laughing my ass off that there are people defending or even feeling bad for Sony in this thread.

False advertisement, and fucking their customers over with RIDICULOUS memory card pricing. Sony deserves this and more.

Gonna love that free PSN credit.

Was just wondering about this the other day, I'm glad someone else bumped this thread to bring it back to attention. I want my free money.

Not really a mystery port anymore since we know it was for TV out before the Vita TV was a thing.

Why did they never release the cable though?!?!

Top Bottom