• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will refund consumers over ‘deceiving’ PlayStation Vita ads

Megatron

I feel I was falsely advertised to. I bought a Vita under the impression Sony was going to support it, now they've pretty much said they aren't making anymore big games for it leaving it purely in the hands of third-party developers.

They abandoned it.

Yep, and basically all they delivered was the stuff we knew about at launch and a few games that were crossten with ps3. As soon as the launch window games released that was it. We never got a golden abyss 2, despite the assets already being there. Sony bend could have released that In 18 months. Instead were going on 3 years without a peep as to what they are up to.

I bought mine launch day amd I don't feel cheated. But if they're gonna be giving some kind of refund or credit I wouldn't mind the PSN money I'm going to use it on a vita game anyways....

test_account

XP-39C²
Iam baffled about so many people being clueless.

There were so many features sony promised and never delivered.

Basically i dont care about these features, i care about a system with no fucking retail games. And even worse, the price for memory cards is simply apple styled rip-off. Paying nearly 100dollar for 64gb is a sick joke. You can get 2tb in 2.5'' amd they want you to pay this atrocious amount of money.

And yeah, simply a steam light library with no original vita only games.

And gravity rush 2 being shifted to ps4.

Worst handheld of all time.

Edit: is e3 basically already advertising?
Because it was also shown and demonstrated there with a bunch of games. And remote play and 3g mp was also talked about and teased in a few ads.

Most people dont seem to remember that this really was shown and featured by sony.
The whole case is about advertising regarding PS3 streaming and network play over 3G, why do you think that so many people dont remember it when that is what the thread is about? Which other features did they show and never delivered on by the way?

No, demoing something on a show for example is not the same as advertising in that way. There are several of times that games gets shown and then canceled for various reasons.

Do you have any source (not based on rumors and speculation) on where it says that Gravity Rush 2 is moved from Vita to PS4?

Memory cards and harddrives are two different technologies, so thats not the best comparison, in my opinion. That said, Vita memory card prices and iPhone/iPad memory prices are expencive compared to other similar memory solutions indeed. If you think that Vita is the worse handheld of all time, i guess that you dont know about all the handheld that exist :)

Yep, and basically all they delivered was the stuff we knew about at launch and a few games that were crossten with ps3. As soon as the launch window games released that was it. We never got a golden abyss 2, despite the assets already being there. Sony bend could have released that In 18 months. Instead were going on 3 years without a peep as to what they are up to.

The PSP didn't start shining until they stopped putting fucking PS2 downports onto it.

The Vita always existed as a portable PS3, feeling useless.

legacyzero

Banned
OH SHIT I STILL HAVE THE RECEIPT!

iHBH1mQMNNkpS.gif

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I wonder if whatever profit they generated from the vita over the years, will be enough for the compensation.

On another note, that should explain the lack of Vita commercials since that period of time.

IrishNinja

damn, bought mine off a gaffer years ago, not sure when nor would i have the receipt...could've used that PSN money though

Cess007

Damn, i don't think i've my receipt on my Vita :( Tho, i still have my box. Can't they just check who accessed the Vita Store before that specific date?

Paskil

I don't feel at all cheated. I probably put close to 200 hours into Lumines Electronic Symphony. Along with Gravity Rush and P4G (and so many other games), I definitely got my moneys worth. I will happily take free credit, though. I bought Vita based in my live of PSP. The false advertising had nothing to do with my purchase.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I remember seeing the ad on tv twice and wondering if someone would sue them over playing anywhere in the world without mentioning the need of a stable wifi connection. Guess it happened.

DiscoJer

Ah crap, I bought mine in September 2012.

Can't say I was deceived by the ads, but was deceived by thinking it would play most my PSP games (it doesn't, at least until I hacked it) and be supported by Sony

x3sphere

I think I'm SOL since I didn't register my vita...bummer

Didn't even know Sony still had a registration form for products. Anyway I highly doubt that disqualifies us. Your console serial # is sent when connecting to PSN so they'd easily be able to tell that way.

Bought a Vita at launch so I'll take the credit. I even bought the 3G one because I knew jack shit about 3G and thought it was this sweet thing that was worth paying extra for. It was not.

Even better, living in an area that doesn't even have 3G coverage. In my area back in 2012 AT&T's network around here was still 2G/Edge on top of the BS price of the data plan. I cancelled after the two month requirement for SSD was up.

So.. I bought my vita on gamestop. No receipt. Never registered my vita though..

They should know the second your Vita was activated on your PSN account and information that would uniquely identify it, that's probably what they'll go by. I doubt you had to do any other registration aside from activating it on your account.

SkylineRKR

haha. This is what I find most baffling about the Vita. There is deceiving and there is the Vita. Its ridiculous how limited it turned out to be.

Still like it though and think the 3G for 99 bucks last year was a steal (sold my launch model way ago).

animax

So Sony's "penalty" is to give away credit to be used in their own store, ha brilliant. Money goes out, comes straight back in!

At least the early adopters get rewarded

mclem

I did think it was pretty sleazy of them at the time to imply that the 3G model of the system could play online via 3G when it was limited to just stuff like checking out leaderboards.

If I ever need to go online on the move, I just tether my Vita to my phone for a short time. I don't need it particularly often anyway.

The 3G model very much felt like a product created by people who care more about buzzword bulletpoints rather than understanding the marketplace.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
So has it been said whether or not this applies to Europe as well? Got mine on launch day and was pretty bummed the PS3 remote play didn't really work.

sensui-tomo

i bought mine sometime around feb 12th 2012 so yay $50 credit and buying danganronpa with it(using the rest and buying the second) unless there are better titles to buy?

Tevious

What are they using to determine eligibility? Whether you've had a Vita registered to your PSN account before that date?

I'd like to know this too. I was living in South Korea at the time and bought mine used at a "GameStop" outside the Songtan US Air Force base in order to get a US version (without the swapped X and O buttons) so I wouldn't need to import one. So I don't have a proof of purchase. I know it's a launch unit, but I can't remember what month I actually bought it in, but I think it was before June... I remember being surprised they had a used one so soon. Someone got bored of it real quick.

[Edit] Just checked my trophies and I have one in May 2012 for Golden Abyss, so I guess I'm in... If they only go by when your PSN account activated the system.

joshcam19

I won't use the 50 dollars even if I get the email, people need to stop blaming companies for them not doing research. If you are going to spend 300 dollars couldn't you take 30 minutes to see what you are actually buying?

And what do I get for getting a Vita last year and enjoying the fuck out of it?

Nothing! What a joke, age of Sony is over.

God damn it I want to get a free game :(

Oersted

I won't use the 50 dollars even if I get the email, people need to stop blaming companies for them not doing research. If you are going to spend 300 dollars couldn't you take 30 minutes to see what you are actually buying?

How does it change that Sony tried to deceive?

Ramza

Banned

Can I haz ur 50?

Top Bottom