• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will refund consumers over ‘deceiving’ PlayStation Vita ads

Etnos

Banned
I bought a Vita on the cheap a couple of weeks back mainly because I had a bunch of freebies with PS+ and wanted to complement my PS4. Gotta say: Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, Steam World Dig, Luftrausers, Fez... all of them great ports.

I don't plan to buy a big memory card because honestly vita retail games look like garbage, but as indie portable machine the Vita fucking rocks.

I really like it, made me a believer in dedicated handhelds once again.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
People shouldn't have to do research to find out if an advert is telling the truth or not.

Even putting something in the small print would have been enough to keep them out of trouble. They didn't. It was misleading and the FTC called them out.

Don't know why you'd defend a case of the consumer being lied to, or at best deliberately misled.

I'm not sucking corporate dick here, I'm stating simple facts.

Those ads wouldn't be considered "misleading" if sheeple just used the damn internet.

Cross Play was never touted as Remote Play. Even so, they're both features that are difficult to fully explain in a 30-second advert. If you're curious to know more, ask an informed store clerk before buying, or read up.

Even so, the fact that the FTC is taking an issue with this two years after those ads ran without public outcry is just plain stupid, man.

Takao

Banned
Probably his take from the 2 times they tried it.

But yeah with mobile devices as big as they are I don't see Sony putting out another one.

PSP sold over 80 million units and was probably a much more positive thing to their business than PS3. According to Sony, Vita is profitable.

They shouldn't (and won't) make a successor because they won't give it the time of day it deserves, not because they have to refund some people due to some misleading marketing.

bigb0ss

Banned
I bought mine at launch from amazon and love it. Where do I sign up for the $50 voucher? :D

They probably just want a copy of your receipt mjc.

Alchemy

I really had no problem with the Vita ads, but I researched the device and knew what I was getting. I'll take $50 though.

Afrikan

I believe there were a few of us on GAF questioning those ads when they first appeared.

it was totally different than ADs I've seen from Sony before.

like straight up deceiving... knew this would come back and bite them on the ass. You would think the people upstairs at SCEA would said..."hooooold on wait".

I know there are worse deceiving ads on TV (especially here in the States), but just because other companies do it...doesn't mean you should let something slide yourself.

bumpkin

April 2012, baby... Cha-ching!

Well, assuming of course they provide a way to ask for inclusion in the settlement.

The irony with all this is is if you have a CFW PS3, remote play works with a large selection of the library.

It is laggier than PS4 remote play, but it works.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I only bought mine last year. PS4 remote pls was the bigger driver for me and that works 95% great. Cross platform/cross save is just the delicious gravy.

I bought a Vita for Disgaea 3, and ended up loving it more than any other handheld before it. If that nets me a $50 PSN card, I'll probably use it for some Vita games.

I bought my Vita at launch. I don't feel that I was misled about the console's capabilities but I have given Sony so much money over the last decade I'll take $50. I'm just going to put it back into content from PSN anyway.

I'm not sucking corporate dick here, I'm stating simple facts.

Those ads wouldn't be considered "misleading" if sheeple just used the damn internet.

Cross Play was never touted as Remote Play. Even so, they're both features that are difficult to fully explain in a 30-second advert. If you're curious to know more, ask an informed store clerk before buying, or read up.

Even so, the fact that the FTC is taking an issue with this two years after those ads ran without public outcry is just plain stupid, man.

These investigations take time. That's why it seems a bit late.

I stand by the point that nobody should have to use the internet to establish whether or not claims made in adverts are true or made up.

The FTC have obviously decided that they are misleading.

Foggy

Bought a Vita at launch so I'll take the credit. I even bought the 3G one because I knew jack shit about 3G and thought it was this sweet thing that was worth paying extra for. It was not.

Panda Rin

bought my vita on May 26th...I might actually luck out on this. Wonder if I can nab a digital receipt on the bestbuy website somehow.

4breasts.jpg

I still didn't meet one of this girls :(. Shameful, Sony!

Holy crap. And people were getting angry about the Belgian commercial.

In my opinion this is a shitty lawsuit from a shitty person /people in a shitty court system ..
People really need to be responsible for themselves for a chance .. DO your damn research before a purchase..

So let's advertise aspirins as a drug for all kinds of diseases. It won't cure you? Blame yourself that you didn't do much research before buying the product!

Takuan

Damn it, pretty sure I bought in Nov '12 too (Asscreed Amazon BF lightning deal). No qualify! Would've totally used it on the Destiny season pass.

KyleCross

I feel I was falsely advertised to. I bought a Vita under the impression Sony was going to support it, now they've pretty much said they aren't making anymore big games for it leaving it purely in the hands of third-party developers.

They abandoned it.

test_account

XP-39C²
I feel I was falsely advertised to. I bought a Vita under the impression Sony was going to support it, now they've pretty much said they aren't making anymore big games for it leaving it purely in the hands of third-party developers.

They abandoned it.
It doesnt work like that unless they specifically said something regarding what you're saying. Otherwise it would be really easy to sue many companies.

Does anyone know if I'll get 100 dollars if I have a receipt that I bought 2 vitas in April 2012? Or is it limited to 50 per person?
I cant say for sure, but i would assume that it count for each product. The point with this ruling is to punish the companies afterall, so its 50 for each Vita.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Does anyone know if I'll get 100 dollars if I have a receipt that I bought 2 vitas in April 2012? Or is it limited to 50 per person?

At the moment Sony is deciding eligibility with no input from the consumer.
That tells me you will only get a single credit if you registered the vita before the cutoff date.

The other vita will count for whomever registered it if they did so by the cutoff date.

Sakujou

Banned
Iam baffled about so many people being clueless.

There were so many features sony promised and never delivered.

Basically i dont care about these features, i care about a system with no fucking retail games. And even worse, the price for memory cards is simply apple styled rip-off. Paying nearly 100dollar for 64gb is a sick joke. You can get 2tb in 2.5'' amd they want you to pay this atrocious amount of money.

And yeah, simply a steam light library with no original vita only games.

And gravity rush 2 being shifted to ps4.

Worst handheld of all time.

Edit: is e3 basically already advertising?
Because it was also shown and demonstrated there with a bunch of games. And remote play and 3g mp was also talked about and teased in a few ads.

Most people dont seem to remember that this really was shown and featured by sony.

Vena

At the moment Sony is deciding eligibility with no input from the consumer.
That tells me you will only get a single credit if you registered the vita before the cutoff date.

The other vita will count for whomever registered it if they did so by the cutoff date.

If they're not careful with how they handle refunds, they could find themselves in a class action couldn't they?

Megatron

I am going to reinvest this money right back into my vita. Starting with every playstation classic I have been meaning to pick up (starting with you, Strider 2...)

Ooooh and Minecraft!

It might? The FTC doesn't regulate Canada but the same ads were aired on Canadian TV.

I was just asking due to others saying they are Canadian and not acting like they won't get it.

I figured the ads were the same for both countries, as the system is the same, but if no one forces Sony to give Canadians the credit, why would they?

Top Bottom