• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will refund consumers over ‘deceiving’ PlayStation Vita ads

Shojx

Y'know, I bought one at launch, but I bought it in Canada.

That being said, I live in the US, it's only ever been used here, it's connected to my US PSN account, etc., so I doubt it makes a difference.

I personally think this specific announcement applies to all of North America anyways, since the "deceit" they refer to affected Canada as it did the US.

Too bad it's US only, I would have gladly taken Crash 1-3 on Vita by Sony.

;'(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got mine at launch, so heck yeah, I want $50 for PSN. Now I just wonder how long we'll have to wait for this to happen.

So how will Sony determine if people got the system before launch? I want to say I registered it on account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com when I got it, plus I've downloaded content & earned trophies on it, so hopefully that should be more than enough evidence that I've had one.

Derpyduck

Banned
I don't know why I'm so emotionally stricken by all this, honestly...

If you purchased a Vita or a game due to the false information in the Ad, then this compensation is for you. Otherwise it is just wrong to pursue this, IMO.

Those of us being awarded the rebate aren't pursuing it. It was done on our behalf.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I don't know why I'm so emotionally stricken by all this, honestly...

If you purchased a Vita or a game due to the false information in the Ad, then this compensation is for you. Otherwise it is just wrong to pursue this, IMO.

Meh, who cares man. Free stuff is free.

FireCloud

I own both a Vita AND MLB 12. Do I get a cookie along with the money?

*brofist.jpg*

Bought a 3G model in March of 2012. Never used the 3G feature. Figured it would be nice to have just in case I wanted to sign up with AT&T for a month when on vacation or what not.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Come on guys. I know that Sony was so fucking ballsy that even the FTC punished them for lying to people, but you should like be nice and stuff. Don't redeem what you're legally entitled to from a company found guilty of deceiving the public by a normally toothless regulator. They probably just accidentally sent the wrong copy out, they really really super duper wanted to tell the truth.

Christ you people who defend companies against everything make me sick.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I bought a Vita like a week after it came out and I distinctly remember expecting it to be able to play all PS3 games via remote play, essentially in the same way it handles PS4 games.

Not sure if I did or did not see these specific commercials during that time but that was definitely my expectation and obviously that never happened at all. I was disappointed and felt duped.

But I grew to love my Vita and now it's one of my favorite handhelds ever.

Got the 3G version 1 week earlier than the official release date. I don't mind getting free money but it does kind of sucks for Sony, I actually quite enjoyed the Vita in 2012 and early 2013 but it has been collecting dust for a while know.

Nice. I remember back when the Vita came out everyone calling bullshit on half the things they said in the original commercial.

I got a 3G Vita at launch, I kind of regretted it since the game I was hyped for got pushed back and then when it did get released... Well, it's been over two years since Gravity Rush came out and I still haven't finished it. Then there was the cross play and I know someone who was hyped for the PS3 remote play function which turned out to be bullshit and left him pissed off. I remember looking forward to the Vita having at least some new iterations of some of the big third party games the PSP had and I can't wait for those great exclusive titles in 2015... Oh wait. :(

PSB: How far ahead are you looking now and what can we expect from the second and third phases of releases?
SY: Generally we look three years ahead when we work on games. We have a fairly firm plan right up to 2013 but, because PS Vita gives us the opportunity to work on smaller titles like Escape Plan and Sound Shapes, I’m certain we will end up working on more games than we even know about at this moment. On top of the launch line-up, we have already announced LittleBigPlanet, Resistance: Burning Skies, ModNation: Road Trip, and Killzone.

In the past we launched PSP and then shifted our attention to PS3 when that came on the horizon, which we now concede was a mistake. So with PS Vita we are working on this huge range titles and planning ahead for a constant supply of excellent games.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-interview-the-present-and-future-of-ps-vita/

So much for that.

How are they going to tell if you bought it before June 1, 2012? I bought one at launch, so I better get that damn email.

System activation date on your PSN account most likely.

@Wreck

4breasts.jpg

I still didn't meet one of this girls :(. Shameful, Sony!

oh my lord

i never saw this ad

hopefully i'll get two vouchers one for the JP and NA launch

ViciousDS

Banned
Where'd you find that? Your PSN account page? I bought it at a midnight launch, so I'm hoping mine is registered and everything and I get that email!

amazon....I purchase everything online even when picking it up in the store so I have all receipts on file.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just hit me. Would they send the e-mail to the account associated with the Vita (in my case, sub account because long story) or to the master account?

Mihos

Gold Member
Are people really only getting this compensation because they can? Without ever complaining about these "problems"?

"I'm entitled!"

"I want free shit!"

"Waaah Waaah Waaah!"

That is not how it works... they were going to be guilty of false and misrepresentative advertising and instead of paying all the money as fine, it is getting paid out to consumers who may have been effected. Imagine if drunk drivers had to pay the fine to everyone else on the road at the time they put in danger (logistically impossible in that case, but this one is), instead of to the to the government as a whole.

It is just the form that their punishment took. Compared to the alternatives, it isn't a bad way to go. Not to mention the amount of unclaimed money and that most will just be spent back on their marketplace where all the games have a profit margin built in. That money was gone no matter what, at least this way it goes to supporters of the platform.

To go further, by not accepting the refund... you are effectively reducing their fine. basically saying "no problem, say whatever you want in your advertisements, people are stupid for believing it anyway"

Garraboa

I bought my Vita at USA, but I live in Mexico. Do I get $50 psn credit?

Same here. But mexican accounts might not be elegible due to the FTC being an american agency, and I don't remember any of these commercials airing here.

If you have an american account tied to your Vita, you might still get the credit.

Megatron

Just hit me. Would they send the e-mail to the account associated with the Vita (in my case, sub account because long story) or to the master account?

I would assume the master account. I hope there is a way for consumers to contact Sony about this. Im a day one owner in the US so I should be fine.

legacyzero

Banned
Crap, I cant remember when I bought mine... when did the MGS HD collection come out? Because Im pretty sure I got that Day 1..

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would assume the master account. I hope there is a way for consumers to contact Sony about this. Im a day one owner in the US so I should be fine.
Well crap, that kind of worries me since my Master is only used on my PS3, & that was before I learned Sony changed it so sub accounts can have PS+ if they use one of the cards.

Though maybe they'll know that my main, sub account is tied to the master account & I'll be fine.

Crap, I cant remember when I bought mine... when did the MGS HD collection come out? Because Im pretty sure I got that Day 1..
June 12th, 2012....not kidding.

nelchaar

I have my Amazon receipt Sony. Give me my money.

I'm glad false advertising is being legally pursued. I hope other companies get prosecuted as well.

Top Bottom