• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will refund consumers over ‘deceiving’ PlayStation Vita ads

Meier

Neat. Launch owners should have been compensated in some form or another ages ago, so this is at least a good reward. I'll buy the Destiny expansions with the credit.

aett

Of course, I got my Vita exactly two weeks after the cutoff date. At least I'm not missing out on much.

Gestault

I remember seeing that series of commercials and being surprised how far it was from my experience with the features. I think the decision was deserved.

Yeah, but that's clear as rain that there has to be a Vita version of the game that supports cross-play.

If people did any fucking research these ads wouldn't be misleading.

Cross-play was never explained as being the same as Remote Play.

Some PS3 games have Vita versions, and the save file is compatible between the two.

It's not rocket surgery.

People shouldn't have to do research to find out if an advert is telling the truth or not.

Even putting something in the small print would have been enough to keep them out of trouble. They didn't. It was misleading and the FTC called them out.

Don't know why you'd defend a case of the consumer being lied to, or at best deliberately misled.

jackal27

Banned
Ugh. I literally missed the deadline for this by a few days (bought mine mid-June).

I did think it was pretty sleazy of them at the time to imply that the 3G model of the system could play online via 3G when it was limited to just stuff like checking out leaderboards.

Wow. I never even knew this. What was the point if the 3G model again? Ugh.

Shojx

As part of its settlement with the FTC, Sony is barred from making similarly misleading advertising claims in the future, and will provide consumers who bought a PS Vita gaming console before June 1, 2012, either a $25 cash or credit refund, or a $50 merchandise voucher for select video games, and/or services. Sony will provide notice via email to consumers who are eligible for redress after the settlement is finalized by the Commission.

Yeah, to me this implies it'll be $50 PSN for those who don't want the refund, since, y'know, games or services.

Just kill the Vita already.
272.gif

Z3M0G

Did you seriously just call every person who may have thought the feature worked....an IDIOT?

Ok sorry... I flew off the handle a bit. It just pisses me off to know that there will be people who will ask for this even though they were never impacted or mislead by these "issues"...

Remote play on PS3 actually works BEAUTIFULLY... Shortly before the PS4 launch, after they purchased that game streaming company, they did an update on the PS3 firmware which pretty much eliminated all latency in PS3>Vita remove play. It works almost as well as PS4>Vita remote play, or just as well. Only problem is, 99% of PS3 titles don't support remote play. The Vita feature works as advertised. Unless advertising had screenshots of Killzone3 being played, which I agree would have been a big mistake on their part. I assume this is about something like that? PSX games played from PS3 with this feature all work beautifully too.

Anyways... sorry again for the "Idiot" comment. I just don't want people who enjoyed their Vita without giving this stuff a second though to feel entitled to this "compensation"...

That's not really false though. Cross-save functionality is legitimately there, transferring your PS3 save to your Vita version, and the 3G portion pertains to Near. I guess it could be misinterpreted, but it says cross-save right there.

But look at the picture - it specifically shows the game being played on a TV, and then arrows going both way showing the exact same game screen on the Vita, as if they just paused the PS3 game and continued on Vita. That is not possible, thus it's misleading, which is what this is all about. It's not saying they lied to customers, but that they mislead customers.

And I remember at the time thinking that most PS3 games would be playable over remote play over the internet, with the Vita controlling the PS3. I thought of buying the Vita just for that (and had I done so, I would have been sorely disappointed). Sony made the Vita sound so much better than it ended up being (it's still a great little system, but Sony overhyped its abilities).

fedexpeon

Banned
Excellent news I guess.
But lol at deceiving...do people no longer have common sense?
Oh well, collecting money on this debacle is a win.

I am still waiting for my Red Bull money as well...

spannicus

I had 3g service on mines for a while, that shit was terribly slow. Never really played any multiplayer games on it though because of connection.

androvsky

the defenders are particularly silly in this thread. i am enjoying it.
I know, it's not like the USA's FTC is quick to stomp on corporate interests. We all thought the early ads showing what was strongly implied to be people playing online multiplayer over 3g was really pushing it. What it was actually was two people playing async mission challenges sent over 3g while glaring at each other; you'd have to know a lot about that specific game to know it wasn't online.

I'm pretty sure there's a gaf thread or two complaining about those ads from around the time of the launch.

But look at the picture - it specifically shows the game being played on a TV, and then arrows going both way showing the exact same game screen on the Vita, as if they just paused the PS3 game and continued on Vita. That is not possible, thus it's misleading, which is what this is all about. It's not saying they lied to customers, but that they mislead customers.

Do people not reading anymore? Reading comprehension is key here. Do people go through life as if reading a picture book?

I would like a refund for my Vita plz, plus the expensive as memory card and games, or just trade me for a PS4 Sony, even though that will collect dust for a while too.

What were the claims they didn't deliver on?

What didn't they deliver on? Bought my Vita at launch and it's been everything I thought it was advertised as....

Be honest, you guys didn't read anything in the OP, did you? They literally gave an example

For example, the popular PS3 game Killzone 3 was featured in a Sony video about remote play, but was never playable remotely on the Vita – and very few, if any, games of a similar size and complexity worked with the remote play feature.

baconcow

I bought my Vita at the Feb. 22nd launch*, in Canada. I remember that ad; it clearly showed a guy playing baseball on his PS3 and then continuing it on the go, on his Vita via 3G, because he was out of his house. This is not how it ended up working.

Do people not reading anymore? Reading comprehension is key here. Do people go through life as if reading a picture book?
You mean like the part that says "Play on your PS3 system and then continue your game on the go with PS Vita"? That sounds to me like you are playing a game and then continuing it on your Vita, not playing a complete baseball game, then saving, and playing another, different baseball game in your Vita. Nobody thinks of continuing a baseball game that way. Maybe if it said "continue your season on the go..." or something.

Alric

Well I have a 3G since launch, never used the feature, don't even know why I bought it honestly but I love my Vita and hell, $50 will get me a game or two so awesome.

repeater

The company must also refund $25 in cash or credit or a $50 merchandise voucher to anyone who bought a Vita before June 1, 2012.
Quick, what's 50x0?

See, now that lame ass old joke works in Sony's favour!

I love the vita, had it since day one. But I would take the credit. how do you go about it? Also i did feel a bit deceived because i tried teh remote play at launch with ps3, which was non existent (except lair or whatever that dragon game was called)

Moofers

I think anybody who bought in 2012 should be included. The idea of PS3 remote play perpetuated for months and 95% of it never materialized. I got mine in July 2012 and fully bought on the promise of the remote play stuff. I think my wife even bought it over a month early as it was a birthday present and she wasn't sure about availability and whatnot. Good luck proving that with a receipt from 2 years ago though.

What a fucking bummer.

And I remember at the time thinking that most PS3 games would be playable over remote play over the internet, with the Vita controlling the PS3. I thought of buying the Vita just for that (and had I done so, I would have been sorely disappointed). Sony made the Vita sound so much better than it ended up being (it's still a great little system, but Sony overhyped its abilities).
No, that's the save file being transferred from where you lasted progressed. How can anyone mis interpret that!?
joke comment, :p

In the 5th grade, my teacher gave the class a quiz and said to "read the instructions." All we had to do was answer one question out of many. Only 1 or 2 people passed (read the instructions). No body reads the terms and agreements anymore either.

They should do anyone who bought a Vita before 2013. I got the Vita that Christmas =(

MattyG

Banned
How are they going to tell if you bought it before June 1, 2012? I bought one at launch, so I better get that damn email.

Top Bottom