• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

There are so many caveats when it come to upgrading a HT system, it really sucks. For instance... I want to buy a PS4 Pro but would need to get a 4K TV to get the most out of it. But then, even though my receiver supports 4K pass-through, it uses an older hdcp standard so I'd likely have to upgrade that too.

It's a whole can of worms that I wish I didn't want to reopen every few years.

You could hook up the pro straight to the tv and use optical to the receiver for audio just to get you by for now.

grizzelye

I wonder what sets even reach that lol

The new LG B6 doesn't, not even close! Vizio P series misses that as well, they barely seem to hit even 500 it seems averaged

I might as well go budget then, I'm not spending 3 grand on a TV atm

Also PS4 Pro the reason I'm buying a 4k TV doesn't even support Dolby Vision!!!!! I'll be paying more for a feature I'm not even going to use!

You can't compare brightness levels of OLED to LED TVs. There is a seperate UHD premium standard for LED and OLED.

OLED may not be as bright, but the darkness level is true black (pixel is off)

I wonder what sets even reach that lol

The new LG B6 doesn't, not even close! Vizio P series misses that as well, they barely seem to hit even 500 it seems averaged

I might as well go budget then, I'm not spending 3 grand on a TV atm

Also PS4 Pro the reason I'm buying a 4k TV doesn't even support Dolby Vision!!!!! I'll be paying more for a feature I'm not even going to use!

The oleds have different standards and have met the requirements from the uhd alliance and can be branded as UHD premium.

Edit: beaten

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm a bit surprised that ARC can't support 5.1 LPCM over HDMI. That would make it much more usable for devices like PS4 that can decode audio and output LPCM

Vuze

It`s worth for HDR i guess, but 43" is too small for 4k.
Completly depends on your viewing distance. I don't know why a lot of people generalize about size/resolution benefits that much, not everybody has the same setup or room space.

vio

Completly depends on your viewing distance. I don't know why a lot of people generalize about size/resolution benefits that much, not everybody has the same setup or room space.

Totally agree, but you would have to sit really close to notice 4k. Almost pc monitor distance.

Madness

I am so disappointed it isn't native 120hz, they also dropped 3D altogether but that was expected since 3D has become a dud. The 4K and HDR is solid, but compared to last years KDLW800c which was only 1080p but had 3D and 120hz, it is making me think.

Ideally, I was thinking of getting the xbr49x800d for the bedroom, but I am now thinking I will have to do xbr55x850d. I hate how quick television turnover is at stores now. Last years W800c hard to find now.

ethomaz

Banned
It's another TV with trade offs again.

X800D
-Average contrast for VA
-Color is eh
-/+Input lag is just acceptable
+Very Good pixel response on blur
+PC friendly (4:4:4 or 10bit)

KS8000
-Panel lottery for no bleed hopefully.
-Slightly above average pixel response on blur
-$300 more more 3" (min size)
+Awesome contrast
+Awesome colors
+PC friendly (4:4:4 or 10bit)
+Input lag is good

VizioP
-Average pixel response on blur
-$300 more for 3" (min size)
-No 4:4:4
+Awesome contrast
+Good colors
+PC 10bit
+Input lag is supurb
This summary is really accurate? Because the VizioP input lag with HDR is really bad... Sony TV is way better in inputlag.

That is a big - for me.

luffeN

As far as I understand it, you need to reach a certain peak brightness (http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness) to have "real HDR". Sony does not give a shit about the ULTRA HD PREMIUM alliance. Reading the rtings review of the X800D, the tv does not reach the peak brightness of about 1000 nits, so you can say the TV is "HDR ready". I have to say though that I have been looking into this topic the past view days only. IIRC, you would also need local dimming zones and a direct-lit tv instead of edge-lit.

Now, looking at our needs in general, I would say that even HDR ready tvs will blow our mind compared to non-HDR ones. So the X800D or for Europeans for example the Philips PU6501 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVFsI73nSPQ) should be very much perfect when buying a PS4 Pro.

Edit:
So for real HDR you need a TV with a 10 bit panel, peak brightness of about 1000 nits, local dimming zones and direct-lit. 8 bit panel is 16.7? million colors while a 10 bit panel has more than 1 billion colors IIRC.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Argh thinking of thing makes me want to remodel the living room to make space for a bigger TV. 4K sounds great, as does HDR, but I sit about 3m from a max 50" TV as its built into a wall of storage. Really fancy a 55-65". But it'd cost me a few thousand plus time and money to redo the living room furniture to deal with it.

They will be good enough in a couple years' time. At a good enough price (and when consoles will actually do 4k).

Just like with 1080p.

Pretty much this. I waited until 2009 to get an HDTV. The only thing it lacks, which is kind of rare outside of Sony TVs I think is HDMI 5.1 pass through to optical. I mean I should just get a new receiver, but I don't use it enough to justify buying a new one as long as the old one still works.

I think buying a $600 plus 4K(especially 43inch) for a $400 console without 4K Blu-Ray is about as backwards as it gets. If a lot of games do the Tomb Raider 3 option thing then that would make the PS4 Pro way more appealing.

As it is I like having the PS4 for exclusives and a good PC for everything else.

Cyriades

As far as I understand it, you need to reach a certain peak brightness (http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness) to have "real HDR". Sony does not give a shit about the ULTRA HD PREMIUM alliance. Reading the rtings review of the X800D, the tv does not reach the peak brightness of about 1000 nits, so you can say the TV is "HDR ready". I have to say though that I have been looking into this topic the past view days only. IIRC, you would also need local dimming zones and a direct-lit tv instead of edge-lit.

Now, looking at our needs in general, I would say that even HDR ready tvs will blow our mind compared to non-HDR ones. So the X800D or for Europeans for example the Philips PU6501 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVFsI73nSPQ) should be very much perfect when buying a PS4 Pro.

Philips PUS6501 is a 8bit panel without Wide Color Gamut

http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/9245442

Redmoon

Question for this TV. On Sony's page, it says it has an "Audio output". I assume this is either audio RCA jacks or a 3.5mm jack. Anyone who has this, can you check?

Would like to use my headphones I use with my pc (Beyer DT 990 600 Ohm) and since they need to be amped, I have to connect my amp to an audio source (id rather not use the controllers 3.5mm port like I have been using so far), and this audio ouptut on the tv would mean I wont have to buy additional hardware.

Tjamato88

So I'm considering a PS4 Pro and a TV upgrade and this one seems in my range but isn't a 43-inch kind of small?

I thought they were recommending 65+ for PS4 Pro?

ViciousDS

Banned
Totally agree, but you would have to sit really close to notice 4k. Almost pc monitor distance.

3 feet to a 43 inch is pretty much leaving me engrossed in the TV.

It's also not all about the resolution......the color gamut makes a huge difference between this and a normal 1080p display.

If I can see the difference between 900p and 1080p on a 27 inch screen.....I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on a 43 inch screen

So I'm considering a PS4 Pro and a TV upgrade and this one seems in my range but isn't a 43-inch kind of small?

I thought they were recommending 65+ for PS4 Pro?

Of course they are going to recommend larger more expensive TV's lol.

The answer is it depends how close you sit to the TV. 43" could be more than enough. Distance, screen size and pixel density all play a role in determining what you see.

I useful analogy I give is imagine you're on the beach. How close do you need to be to the sand to start seeing the individual grains of sand. It's very much like that.

There's charts you can find but generally for someone with good vision, the benefits of a 43" UHD TV can be seen from about 4 feet or closer. Although it's up to the individual. I'd say 5 feet or so though max. At that point you should probably go larger. 50" is usually my preferred size because of this.

longdi

Banned
I had been checking out this sony 43x800d for 4k pc gaming.

I have been comparing to the samsung 43ku7000. Both tv's have a va panel and similar contrast, both have enhanced color crystals ( triluminous and active color crystals ).

Input lag on the sony is 33ms ( two frames ) and the samsung is at 24ms. Not a huge difference there when pc gaming.

Honestly, the build quality on the sony looks miles better and the color and motion is much better on the sony. Also the sony has NO pwm, whereas the samsung does and the pixel response on the sony is 13ms and the samsung is pushing almost 20ms. rtings reviews for both show this.

Also the sony has 4:4:4 chroma at 33ms inout lag whereas to get 4:4:4 on the samsung raises the lag to 39ms, so actually for pc use the sony is quicker and better.

I feel the sony 43x800d has an excellent panel and motion and is the best 43 inch you can get for games and pc use. Nothing in that size compares, even the pc monitors from philips and wasabi cant as those are ips and have just as much input lag.

Thank mate. This model is ticking so many right boxes, love sony design language, a bonus imo

Would be perfect at 40". The sad thing with pc monitor is most of them are ips or tn panel, 8bit 1000:1cr only. What a shit situation for pc gamers to have

jett

D-Member
there are 8 bit HDR panels, there are 10 bit HDR panels that are real HDR, and then there are TVs that can show up to 1000 nits in small window for short time..

You can see this in the reviews, this is 10 bit panel with around 400nits max but evenly distributed... something like more expensive Samsung KS8000 can peak at 1400 nits for 2% of the screen short time, however its sustained rate is still around 500 nits.

You can see this in rtings reviews and it is not hard.

Yes...real simple.

ACH1LL3US

Thank mate. This model is ticking so many right boxes, love sony design language, a bonus imo

Would be perfect at 40". The sad thing with pc monitor is most of them are ips or tn panel, 8bit 1000:1cr only. What a shit situation for pc gamers to have

No problem bro!

In my honest opinion, having used alot of pc monitors including the benq 32 4k gsync, rog swift tn and ah-ips models, I love pc monitors for their low input lag, high refresh rate and very fast pixel responses BUT...

they just don't look as good as the oled's and sony and samsung 4k tvs.

33ms of inout lag at 4k native resolution with 4:4:4 with a 10bit panel at 43 inches is exactly what I want for my pc gaming. I wish it had gsync and lower lag but running games with vsync off should help lessen that and looking at the samsung's, they have 24 ms.of lag but in 4:4:4 mode they are at 38ms so even higher then the sony plus I love the aesthetics of the sony.

43 inch ppi at 4k is perfect imho at pc desk distances, I used a samsung 48js9000 for pc gaming and the ppi was poor coming from a 1440p 27inch display and the pwm on samsungs I hate!! The sony has NO pwm!! That is hige for motion clarity and less eye strain.

Ouch how did 650 dollars become 850 pounds :/

Should be £589 with VAT. We always get fucked over on this stuff.

It definitely becomes alot less enticing at that price ha 850 that is. 589 would be close to impulse buy, given my tv is 7-8 years old at this point

I'd have ordered one right now at that price. £850 is still a bit much for a lower end model.

Was about to ask is there any UK equivalent of this American model?

Is this the one? ^

@ King_Moc did you pay the £850 then? I feel this is too much for me to pay for an entry model.

edit: or did you get this one Sony KD-43X8305C and is this equivalent to the American model?

ktroopa

3 feet to a 43 inch is pretty much leaving me engrossed in the TV.

It's also not all about the resolution......the color gamut makes a huge difference between this and a normal 1080p display.

If I can see the difference between 900p and 1080p on a 27 inch screen.....I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on a 43 inch screen

this is great. i sit real close to my tv also so i guess i wud see a benefit at 43"

ViciousDS

Banned
this is great. i sit real close to my tv also so i guess i wud see a benefit at 43"

I don't have it yet lol

But I do have a 1080p 60 inch display and it was the other way around......the TV was eating me instead of me living the experience. Once I get this one in the mail, I'll plug my shield tv into it since its the only 4k device I have and run tests on it with movies. See if somehow I can't tell the difference

OK thanks dude.

I think that Amazon Basics is only HDMI 1.4 it said.

Hdmi 1.4 can do 4k at 30fps if i remember correctly, but 2.0 allows 4k at 60fps and hdr. 2.0 has more bandwidth.

Check monoprice, they have some good cables for good prices, and they are a very reliable company.

spwolf

This summary is really accurate? Because the VizioP input lag with HDR is really bad... Sony TV is way better in inputlag.

That is a big - for me.

KS8000 is also bad with regular modes (110-120ms), makes you wonder what 4k lag will be, also motion isnt the greatest.

XD8000 is simpler TV so with everything on, you still get only 50ms lag. And quite likely a lot nicer picture.

ktroopa

I don't have it yet lol

But I do have a 1080p 60 inch display and it was the other way around......the TV was eating me instead of me living the experience. Once I get this one in the mail, I'll plug my shield tv into it since its the only 4k device I have and run tests on it with movies. See if somehow I can't tell the difference

oh ok sorry! i got a bit lost which tv are you getting the sony listed in the OP?

longdi

Banned
No problem bro!

In my honest opinion, having used alot of pc monitors including the benq 32 4k gsync, rog swift tn and ah-ips models, I love pc monitors for their low input lag, high refresh rate and very fast pixel responses BUT...

they just don't look as good as the oled's and sony and samsung 4k tvs.

33ms of inout lag at 4k native resolution with 4:4:4 with a 10bit panel at 43 inches is exactly what I want for my pc gaming. I wish it had gsync and lower lag but running games with vsync off should help lessen that and looking at the samsung's, they have 24 ms.of lag but in 4:4:4 mode they are at 38ms so even higher then the sony plus I love the aesthetics of the sony.

43 inch ppi at 4k is perfect imho at pc desk distances, I used a samsung 48js9000 for pc gaming and the ppi was poor coming from a 1440p 27inch display and the pwm on samsungs I hate!! The sony has NO pwm!! That is hige for motion clarity and less eye strain.

Yup, why you will want a 10bit panel as seen here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=...eature=player_detailpage&v=PhkJLF3oyI8#t=2965

I've been debating between the Sony X800D 49 inch or the Samsung KS8000. A lot of good reasons to get the KS8000 over the Sony one

Mokubba

i think it just got released in Europe, and it is still the cheapest 10 bit panel.

In 2 months we should get better prices.

Now question is if extra $350-$500 for KS7000 (EU) is worth it?

Yea, hardly any reviews for the European model name and it's hard to tell which is which on Sony's site since there's so many.

I think I'll wait till 2017 CES to see what they have to offer.

longdi

Banned
Thanks to this thread, i went down to view Sony newly launched Z9D.

Its a very classy looking set, looks majestic, and it is actually cheaper than the same 65" LG OLED here! Around USD5.2K!

The demo reel was just generic 4K, so i cannot see the master backlight in action. Sony is lazy unlike LG, who has their specially created demos to showoff the inky OLED blacks.

Z9D does seems to control the bloom much better than other FALD sets. The picture looked evenly lit with no one section that sears your eyes typically.

However the Z9D menu is super duper shit slow! Laggy and takes a ms to load the next item! If this is AndroidTV, i think Sony should go back to XMB. Unbecoming of a premium set!

Phone cam from a moving demo reel
7900lm4.jpg

GShEOB3.jpg

Looks great. I'll be looking for a 43-inch and under 4K TV. I currently use a 32-inch which is reaching its limit in terms of size after moving in to our new flat. I think 38-inch would be the sweet spot.

ViciousDS

Banned
oh ok sorry! i got a bit lost which tv are you getting the sony listed in the OP?

Yes.......if you really want to know both the KU7000 and the Sony one in the OP will arrive on my doorstep in a week from monday.......but I plan on returning the KU7000 to the store due to the mucher low color gamut

BriGuy

I got a good deal on a non-HDR 4k set last year, so it will be a couple years before I'm in the market for another tv. Hopefully all this shit gets sorted out by then, but there's never a "good time" to buy into technology because whatever you choose is rendered garbage 6-12 months later. "33ms of lag? Unplayable? Your set isn't HDR12 compliant? I suppose you can still use it for target practice, you stupid piece of shit." And so on and so forth.

Maybe I ought to wait for the 8k sets, although I'm sure that will be a piece of crap too.

Top Bottom