• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

zedge

Finally dove back into ratchet and clank since getting my x800d. Holy balls does this look good. So happy with this set. It's a bit smaller than my old 6290 55 inch (800d is 49 inch ), but the HDR and colours in general are just insane. The upscaling is much better too.

Now I want to replace my old Samsung sound bar with one of the Sony ones. I am thinking this one as it has the 3 hdmi inputs and passes through HDR.

http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.asp...spx?ajax=true&lang=en-ca&pcname=&sku=10423830

Anyone have any experience with it?

Mbrill82

n2D6IQ7.jpg

I wonder how many tvs this thread has sold?

Count me as another satisfied customer. I wasn't gonna buy a new tv yet but 1/3 of the back light in my old Vizio stopped working suddenly last night.

Omiee

Yes, but only if your receiver supports HDMI 2.0a. So it might not work with older receivers.

If your receiver supports ARC you can connect the PS4 to the TV and in turn the receiver to the ARC HDMI port on the TV. That way you can get sound from the PS4 on your receiver and HDR on your TV.

any receiver you can recommend?

n2D6IQ7.jpg

I wonder how many tvs this thread has sold?

Count me as another satisfied customer. I wasn't gonna buy a new tv yet but 1/3 of the back light in my old Vizio stopped working suddenly last night.

My replacement set turned up yesterday, all up and on the wall working well again.

Really impressed with Sony and their service, for a single stuck pixel they made no issues and offered the replacement set without any trouble at all.

Madness

Does the Sony X800D have the option to enable BFI ( black frame insertion)? If not, how is the motion resolution?

It is only 60hz but it does have BFI where they strobe the backlight. Motion handling is pretty amazing for the set. Keep in mind 4K doesn't really need it since the visual fidelity so high blur is non-existent but even for 1080p and games pretty good. Image does get a bit darker depending on your level of motion enhancement.

wnt

Banned
It's all IPS. As a proud ps4 player I'm waiting for WE75 series from Sony with affordable price, wide color gamut, HDR and FullHD panel.

Ok, this TV is going back on my consideration list despite the big fat powerbrick that comes with it due to the LG B6 perhaps being over budget at the moment due to house move/purchase. Any reasons the 49" is better than the 55"? I'd prefer to buy the bigger one but just want to to check there aren't glaringly obvious advantages to the smaller set. Thanks.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's all IPS. As a proud ps4 player I'm waiting for WE75 series from Sony with affordable price, wide color gamut, HDR and FullHD panel.

According to some reports, all Sony 720p and 1080p models from 2017 have 8bit panel. Expect performance in line with Samsung KU6000 line at best [nowhere near what X800D can do].

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I've been lurking here for a month or so but I'm yet another person this thread sold on the X800D. I absolutely -needed- a 4K HDR panel because I felt I just wasn't doing justice to Horizon, but I wasn't quite ready to go OLED. I'm coming off a decade of Pioneer Kuros and Panasonic Vieras; needless to say I like my blacks black and my response time responsive.

I'm pretty damn impressed how far mid-range LCD panels have come, and even moreso the fact that Sony is making them. The X800D will easily tide me over until I can drop larger ducats on an OLED 4K HDR panel. Thanks for the recommendation, OP and GAF!

So, my reason for de-lurking (other than expressing appreciation):

Is there any appreciable difference between RGB and YUV for PS4 HDR content? I'm sure this has been covered earlier in the thread, but it's difficult to search through a sea of "RGB or YUV?" posts regarding HDR in multiple threads for different displays.

Many thanks!

ordrin

Is there any appreciable difference between RGB and YUV for PS4 HDR content? I'm sure this has been covered earlier in the thread, but it's difficult to search through a sea of "RGB or YUV?" posts regarding HDR in multiple threads for different displays.

Many thanks!

the tv and ps4 automatically switch over to YUV for HDR content anyway

its a bandwidth issue with 4k.

but seeing as your on a standard ps4, probably at 1080p i think there would be enough bandwidth for rgb and hdr.

but if rgb is available then you want that for 4:4:4 chroma. any difference would only be spotted by a colormeter but its there for peace of mind.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
the tv and ps4 automatically switch over to YUV for HDR content anyway

its a bandwidth issue with 4k.

but seeing as your on a standard ps4, probably at 1080p i think there would be enough bandwidth for rgb and hdr.

but if rgb is available then you want that for 4:4:4 chroma. any difference would only be spotted by a colormeter but its there for peace of mind.

No, I'm on a Pro -- Horizon made me realize a Pro is almost wasted on a 1080p panel. I see, and thank you for the clarification!

Donkeysmuggler

Neo Member
Does anybody know if there's a good reason to get the 2017 XE over the 2016 XD model? Seems impossible to find in-depth reviews of the 2017 model, even though it's already being sold. Do they use the same panel?

The 2016 costs 765 EUR on amazon.de and the 2017 959 EUR, I just want to know what justifies the price difference of almost 200 EUR. (43" model, going to replace my tiny 24" PC monitor...)

v1ncelis

yeah thats the same model.

one difference is that the european models dont always have component on them.
i know the 43 inch version doesnt.

you will need to check the store page or website etc to see if it does. if you need component that is.
Thanks for answer.
Don't really worry about component since I plan game mostly PS4 and looking forward I might hook up a PC. Also have a PS3 in a closed and curious how bad sub HD games will look on this screen?

yeah thats the same model.

one difference is that the european models dont always have component on them.
i know the 43 inch version doesnt.

you will need to check the store page or website etc to see if it does. if you need component that is.
That's right, EU models seem to come with scart but no component.

v1ncelis

Thanks guys for answers. Bought it but estimated delivery date is April 20-26 :/ Oh well now I will put Horizon on hold until tv arrives.

Conduit

Banned
Does anybody know if there's a good reason to get the 2017 XE over the 2016 XD model? Seems impossible to find in-depth reviews of the 2017 model, even though it's already being sold. Do they use the same panel?

The 2016 costs 765 EUR on amazon.de and the 2017 959 EUR, I just want to know what justifies the price difference of almost 200 EUR. (43" model, going to replace my tiny 24" PC monitor...)

Go few pages back. You will find links for newer models. But anyway :

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=232297433

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=232684899

earlier this year/late last year I was dead set on getting the 49 inch version of this tv.

but now i'm leaning towards the 4k oled 55 inch LG, would the picture quality be just as good?

Madness

earlier this year/late last year I was dead set on getting the 49 inch version of this tv.

but now i'm leaning towards the 4k oled 55 inch LG, would the picture quality be just as good?

This is a budget to mid end 4K model, the LG OLED are higher end. So the picture quality on the LG will be much better than this set. It is just a fact. The question becomes is the price difference worth it. Same way the new X900E and X930E have better pq but also cost much more.

This is a budget to mid end 4K model, the LG OLED are higher end. So the picture quality on the LG will be much better than this set. It is just a fact. The question becomes is the price difference worth it. Same way the new X900E and X930E have better pq but also cost much more.

the LG oled is a thousand dollars more but if it's that much of a difference maybe I will bite.

So I'm very seriously looking at the 65" X850D. I need the 65" size for the room this will be in and really prefer Sony TVs. Is this essentially the same TV as the 800D but just larger? Anyone have any experience with this model?

justino

Neo Member

No comparison between this and OLED
I was gutted when I experienced the HDR performance on this set and returned it for an LG E6 55. The difference is night and day and the fact I dropped an extra £1000 is long forgotten. I smile broadly every time I use it.

I just bought the 55XBR855D version of this, it's practically the best you can get in my country (I think there's one other TV that's better than this one but it's out of my reach economically speaking), I'm not as demanding as others so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it a lot. Pretty excited... I hope it won't take long until they deliver it. :/

DieH@rd

Banned
German website Testbericht has released first stats of 43XE8005 [43X800E in US] on their "best of up to 55 inches" listing.
http://www.chip.de/bestenlisten/Bestenliste-UHD-Fernseher-bis-55-Zoll--index/detail/id/1113/

Contrast ratio is in the ~4000:1 range so it's 100% again using VA panel. They marked it as IPS, but that has to be a mistake [which can happen to them, and is a common misconseption for those Sony lines since only 43" is VA, rest are IPS]. They don't have a full review for this TV yet.

It's nice to see that Sony XE93 [the "baby ZD9"] is ranked so high. :)

No comparison between this and OLED
I was gutted when I experienced the HDR performance on this set and returned it for an LG E6 55. The difference is night and day and the fact I dropped an extra £1000 is long forgotten. I smile broadly every time I use it.

you're makin me wanna buy it

only problem is i am a broke mothafucker. i could sacrifice a paycheck for it though.

anyone know of any current deals for this? I would prefer to buy it in store and not online. I am in the US.

Edit: the 43 inch

Edit2: and is this still the best v for this price?

Top Bottom