• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

DieH@rd

Banned
Is this a full on 10 bit TV? And with a high nit value?

It's 10bit [via 8bit FRC, but that can't be noticed by user], it has very good wide color range, but HDR illumination is in "acceptable" range of ~400 nits. It produces good but not great HDR. Sony's image processing chip is ofc very good.

When looking at the competition, this is THE BEST entry level HDR TV [truthfully, it's the ONLY good entry level HDR TV], especially 43" version which has VA panel, and thus much better contrast than its 49"+ models who use IPS tech.

Those who have more money can aim at KS7000 for ~$1000, or even crazy US deals for 55" LG B6 OLED for ~$1300.

graybot

Can anyone tell me the recommended settings for the 55" version for game and for tv

I'm a little underwhelmed in particular when watching movies in ultra hd

Just got the UBP-X800 4K player from Fry's, Sony brand, to go along with this TV.

It's fucking sick.

Gonna watch 4K HDR Mad Max then Independence Day, gonna be rad.

The BD system OS is fantastic too, snappy af. Super impressed. $300.

Madness

How do you get rid of the smudges? I never touched the screen but I see some.

Distilled water and a good microfiber. If smudges are heavy, use one or two drops of dish detergent in the distilled water, swirl with your microfiber, get it nice and damp, wring it out so water isn't runny and then use with decent pressure, only moving one side. Then clean with a dry one.

Aranath

After several weeks, Sony finally replaced my old TV which was hopelessly faulty with the HDR not working correctly, broken remote, apps crashing constantly, etc.

One of the issues I had before was the fact that in certain conditions, you could see white vertical lines going from the top to the bottom of the screen all over the screen. The Sony engineer who came to my house, who was utterly useless with fixing this TV (he tried to "calibrate" the TV by putting it on one of the Sports presets and said it looked perfect like that, for crying out loud), said he couldn't see them despite the fact that my girlfriend and I both could. One of the more obvious examples was in Final Fantasy XV - you could see them in the sky, especially when panning around.

We just received our replacement TV and everything so far seems fine, except we've got the white vertical lines again. They're not as obvious as before, but when the picture pans with brighter colours, they're super obvious and incredibly distracting.

Has anyone else had problems with this? The thought of having to go through several weeks of hell again trying to get Sony to replace this TV doesn't seem particularly attractive, but I can't say I'm happy at all with the quality I'm getting, considering how much I paid.

v1ncelis

file_000667u0i.jpeg

Thank you, GAF.
Amazing TV, entered all the settings from OP and now going through all my library of games. Horizon looks ridiculous.

thisbeard

I need some help please. So I have owned a 49" x800d for a couple of months and haven't had issues with it. But today i go to play Persona 5 for this first time and I changed the picture mode from Game (with all the adjustments for Horizon ZD listed in this thread) to vivid (so I can see the text better) and the problem is that when I'm in the Action Menu in Picture Adjustment the screen brightness is noticeably "vivid". But as soon as I get back to my game by pressing Back the brightness gets much worse. It's as if the option for Light Sensor is enabled but I've checked and it's definitely disabled. Can anyone help me with this please? Thanks in advance...

A little help, guys. Got the Sony Bravia X850D about 2 weeks ago. Everything is perfect for gaming. Just perfect. With apps like Netflix, though, the lip syncing is way off. The mouths move before the voices are heard. I have checked every setting and can't find a fix. Any help?

Shin-Ra

I need some help please. So I have owned a 49" x800d for a couple of months and haven't had issues with it. But today i go to play Persona 5 for this first time and I changed the picture mode from Game (with all the adjustments for Horizon ZD listed in this thread) to vivid (so I can see the text better) and the problem is that when I'm in the Action Menu in Picture Adjustment the screen brightness is noticeably "vivid". But as soon as I get back to my game by pressing Back the brightness gets much worse. It's as if the option for Light Sensor is enabled but I've checked and it's definitely disabled. Can anyone help me with this please? Thanks in advance...
I would only use Game and Graphics modes for game input, they both offer the lowest input delay and show full 4:4:4 chroma resolution which can make an appreciable difference at 1080p, especially with bright, bold colours like Persona 5's. Increase contrast (white level) and/or brightness (edgelight) to improve readability.

Graphics mode has the added benefit of point sampled (nearest neighbour) upscaling for 1080p inputs. If you have a PS4 Pro, you'd need to set its output res to 1080p to benefit from this.

thisbeard

I would only use Game and Graphics modes for game input, they both offer the lowest input delay and show full 4:4:4 chroma resolution which can make an appreciable difference at 1080p, especially with bright, bold colours like Persona 5's. Increase contrast (white level) and/or brightness (edgelight) to improve readability.

Graphics mode has the added benefit of point sampled (nearest neighbour) upscaling for 1080p inputs. If you have a PS4 Pro, you'd need to set its output res to 1080p to benefit from this.

Oh man! Thanks a bunch for the info! I wasn't too worried about input lag for playing Persona but I'll definitely check out Graphics mode. Mostly because I don't want to constantly change my Game mode settings from Horizon to Persona.

I have to say though, I would love to have a better understanding of how to get the best picture quality for the tvs different use. I feel like I know next to nothing! Any resources that you would recommend? I honestly still don't really know what to do once the Graphics mode is chosen... Should I crank the brightness and colour all the way up?

Also, I am still a little stumped as to why the picture would be "vivid" in the Action Menu but then quickly revert to a lower brightness... I remember being to play Thumper in vivid and it didn't revert. That was on my old PS4 which wasn't a pro so could it be that the pro's setttings are somehow interfering? Thank you very much for any further clarifications!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
So... anyone have any issues with color banding in non-HDR content with this tv? I hadn't had any issues in the 6 months I've had it until recently when I started noticing the banding in dark areas in Nier Automata.

I switched tvs to a 1080p Samsung set I had lying around and had no issues with color banding in games on that one, so i'm fresh out of ideas. I've tried everything short of calling a service guy in to check out the tv.

A little help, guys. Got the Sony Bravia X850D about 2 weeks ago. Everything is perfect for gaming. Just perfect. With apps like Netflix, though, the lip syncing is way off. The mouths move before the voices are heard. I have checked every setting and can't find a fix. Any help?
Change PS4 audio output settings to either Dolby Bitstream or DTS.

Donkeysmuggler

Neo Member
So I went ahead and got the 43" XD800 / X800D. I'm really impressed by the picture quality but getting HDR stuff to work is a real hassle, especially under Win10 (doesn't seem to support it yet?).

oScumGTl.jpg

Now I'll have to reread this thread to find all the recommended settings.

DieH@rd

Banned
Congrats on the purchase, I am also trying to get the same model for me but I cannot find it anywhere here in Serbia and Hungary. 43" model is totally gone, and the 2017 successor 43XE8005 cost's 900+ euros which is a bit much for me.

And yeah, Windows support for HDR media is really minimal so far. No HDR multimedia support of any kind, except in few rare games.

The best way to experience HDR for now is via UHD BDs, console games [ps4, ps4 pro or xbox one s] and by playing back HDR video files via TV's built-in player.

Rootbeer

Banned
The Windows 10 Creators Update is available now, with the official rollout coming on the 11th. I read some months ago that it adds better HDR support into Windows 10. So for those using this display as a monitor on a Windows 10 machine, maybe look into it.

Guess the question I have is what are the hardware requirements for using it. I'm on Skylake and a GTX 980Ti which might be just slightly too outdated, hope i'm wrong though. It's really a shame how DRM concerns ruin so many things that should be much easier.

http://techfrag.com/2016/12/13/windows-10-creators-update-hdr/

Some early reviews for the X900e are out and all look great. Might want to wait for that one guys...

I believe the backlight and HDR are improved significantly in 2017 models

Enjoy man ;)

:D

Wait, so you're saying that I should set my Pro to 1080p when I play 1080p games instead of leaving it at 4K? I thought the Pro would scale things to 4K, but if I understand right, I should set it to 1080P, use Graphics mode and let the TV do the scaling, is that right?

Edit: Among other games in 4K I tried two games that don't have Pro patch: Bloodborne and Arkham Knight. Only tried for a couple of minutes and Batman looks "ok" but Bloodborne was disappointing, maybe with your setting it'll improve a little.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just curious if anyone is doing any testing with the new Windows 10 Creator's Update and the updated Nvidia 381.XX drivers which also add enhanced support for the Creator's Update.

You can now see this in the Display Settings:

tl1ZJKk.png

I don't think I have any games with HDR support yet on Windows, if anyone has any findings it would be interesting to hear about!

Really thought Ratchet was going to blow me away but honestly it looks kinda washed out and the geometry is extremely basic, like PS3 levels. Game is still pretty fun though thankfully.

Really wish there were more 4K games for the Pro.

vegohead

Just curious if anyone is doing any testing with the new Windows 10 Creator's Update and the updated Nvidia 381.XX drivers which also add enhanced support for the Creator's Update.

tl1ZJKk.png

I don't think I have any games with HDR support yet on Windows, if anyone has any findings it would be interesting to hear about!

Wow, I'm salty now. Just got a PS4 pro today and removed my computer from HDMI 2 and switched it to the PS4Pro. HDMI 3 is arc, which I'm using for my soundbar.....damnit.

I think alien isolation is the only HDR game right now.

Grimalkin

Really thought Ratchet was going to blow me away but honestly it looks kinda washed out and the geometry is extremely basic, like PS3 levels. Game is still pretty fun though thankfully.

Same, looks really washed out and dull compared to the non-HDR version.

Otherwise this tv is awesome but now I need to get a 4K bluray player...

Same, looks really washed out and dull compared to the non-HDR version.

Otherwise this tv is awesome but now I need to get a 4K bluray player...

Do we know if the HDR thing is a PS4 issue or a TV issue? I feel like it does the opposite of the intended effect on my screen.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)

Graphics mode is nearest-neighbor?!

Okay, this is -megaton- for 1080p sources. I had no idea... thank you!

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
What does that mean? Nearest-neighbor?

In this case, it means zero filtering would be applied to a scaled 1080p image. The X800D already handles 1080p content really well, but sharp 2D content could benefit.

So has there been any consensus on the Live Color setting? I've been having an internal struggle where I keep flip flopping with turning it on for HDR games. At first, I put it on high and thought things looked great. I later decided to turn it off and was surprised that it still looked pretty great, but only during certain parts of games. I've been testing my settings with Uncharted 4 and chapter 12, the boat level (it was the one they showed off at the Pro unveiling event). I think Uncharted 4 looks phenomenal during this chapter with HDR and live color set to off. I however think it can look pretty bad during the Madagascar chapter, with the dirt and flora looking very muted. Horizon Zero Dawn, in my opinion, looks pretty muted as well, across the board, unless Live Color is on. What I want to know is what exactly does the Live Color setting change? The only info I could dig up is a review that mentioned it basically broadens the color gamut (untrue if you ask me). It seems to be a simple saturation booster, reminiscent of ASUS' Splendid 'tech'. In the end, I know that I should just choose what looks right to me and enjoy it, but what I really want is to have everything correct and as true to the source as possible. Right now, I'm rocking the medium setting for Live Color as it definitely adds color, but doesn't go crazy. Some colors even remain the same between it being on medium and of while high usually dramatically changes a color or two (usually the blues and reds).

Has anyone done as much toying around with the color as I have? What settings did you ultimately decide on?

Edited note: I wonder how much of a difference it'd make to use a pro calibration tool to calibrate my tv? It's too bad they are so expensive!

RS4-

Wow, I'm salty now. Just got a PS4 pro today and removed my computer from HDMI 2 and switched it to the PS4Pro. HDMI 3 is arc, which I'm using for my soundbar.....damnit.

I think alien isolation is the only HDR game right now.

Shadow Warrior 2 has HDR

tl1ZJKk.png

Shadow Warrior 2
Obduction
RE7
ME:A
Hitman, I think

Quick question. Has anyone figured out a way to stop the black bar coming up the top of the screen every time you play a PS4 Pro 4K app, or HDR, or switch to a 4K game or a HDR Game?

I don't mind it coming up when I initially change to the PlayStation hdmi channel but then throughout my use of the console during that session that bar will keep coming up

There are so many caveats when it come to upgrading a HT system, it really sucks. For instance... I want to buy a PS4 Pro but would need to get a 4K TV to get the most out of it. But then, even though my receiver supports 4K pass-through, it uses an older hdcp standard so I'd likely have to upgrade that too.

It's a whole can of worms that I wish I didn't want to reopen every few years.

Couldn't you just run the feed frim the ps4pro direct to tv and then the tv sound to the receiver via optical?

ordrin

has anyone tried running any retro emulators from google play store?

how well do things like snes, genesis emulators work on the tvs inbuilt cpu?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Still can't seem to find a deal on the 43'' in the UK/Ireland, it seems like it hasn't dropped in price at all.

Toe-Knee

has anyone tried running any retro emulators from google play store?

how well do things like snes, genesis emulators work on the tvs inbuilt cpu?

Not 100% sure but I think my xd83 has the same cpu.

It runs them all dealt well. It even runs uoyabause (saturn emulator) and reicast (dc) I had to sideload those though but I get a solid 60fps on everything I've tried currently playing through panzer dragoon saga on it.

ordrin

Not 100% sure but I think my xd83 has the same cpu.

It runs them all dealt well. It even runs uoyabause (saturn emulator) and reicast (dc) I had to sideload those though but I get a solid 60fps on everything I've tried currently playing through panzer dragoon saga on it.

i think theres only about 8gb of storage on the tv.

is it possible to use a usb flashdrive on one of the usb ports on the tv to store the roms etc?

ordrin

offtopic again - using retroarch on the tv, how do you exit a rom once its loaded, or go back to the retroarch menus to exit?

it detects my ps4 controller 100%, but only X button works in games, no directionals work and i cant exit once the roms running.

Trashbat

I have the 49" version of this TV (X80).

I've put the tv in game mode and adjusted for settings from the rtings site, but perhaps its just me but in most cases I still prefer the 'default' setting with the motionflow setting enabled.

I just find that in comparison, the image offered by game mode seems dull/washed out.

I'm playing games like horizon, FF15, and yeah they look pretty, but I just find the scenes more vibrant (especially with HDR) under the normal setting.

Perhaps I haven't got it configured right?? Would appreciate if anyone else is thinking the same or has advice.

ordrin

I have the 49" version of this TV (X80).

I've put the tv in game mode and adjusted for settings from the rtings site, but perhaps its just me but in most cases I still prefer the 'default' setting with the motionflow setting enabled.

I just find that in comparison, the image offered by game mode seems dull/washed out.

I'm playing games like horizon, FF15, and yeah they look pretty, but I just find the scenes more vibrant (especially with HDR) under the normal setting.

Perhaps I haven't got it configured right?? Would appreciate if anyone else is thinking the same or has advice.

HDR isnt supposed to look vibrant.
its supposed to look more natural, which in turn makes it 'appear' more washed out if you are used to everything glowing with neon colours.

Top Bottom