• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It looks like your TV, or its setup is amplifying the visibility of banding that is actually present in those 24-bit color games, and most games.

Try a game like Playdead's INSIDE on it and you should see relatively little banding even without any setup changes.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8058/28579132854_c2a02e2121_o.png

INSIDE smartly uses dithering to minimise 24-bit colour banding.

Now on the TV side, you should double check the console or computer (it'd help to know which) and TV are matching full or limited range RGB correctly. Use a TV picture mode like Graphics or Game and reduce the brightness and contrast from maximum a little. Black level should be left at 50.

Thank you. As soon as I get some free time, I'll definitely look into seeing if my setup is the cause. It's not my RGB ranges though, i've made sure of that many times over, lol.

Honestly if you could highlight, circle or underline what you see would be best. Keep in mind this is an edge lit set with no local dimming.

So basically, this is what the game should look like on my television(if your monitor displays correctly):
6Xzqzz.png

But here's what it actually looks like on my tv:

For clarity, those halos around bright objects should then smoothly gradate into black but instead, they're just distinguishable lines of color that just abruptly end:

On my 1080p Samsung set, this issue doesn't exist. It also doesn't exist when viewing these images elsewhere except on the the set itself. RGB properly set as well so it's definitely not that.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Question...

What do you guys use to clean the screen? Thanks.

Related question. Just bought a 4k TV and it's on it's way, but I have my current set up with everything going through a receiver for audio. Do I need a new one with 4k support? Is that even a thing? My current one is pretty old, so I doubt it has it if it is.

Also, I've been looking in to a wireless speaker system. How exactly do they work? Do they hook up to a receiver or do you just connect to them wirelessly through each individual device?

Related question. Just bought a 4k TV and it's on it's way, but I have my current set up with everything going through a receiver for audio. Do I need a new one with 4k support? Is that even a thing? My current one is pretty old, so I doubt it has it if it is.

Also, I've been looking in to a wireless speaker system. How exactly do they work? Do they hook up to a receiver or do you just connect to them wirelessly through each individual device?

Yes, you would need a 4K receiver. Don't know the answer to your other question, sorry!

If your receiver is pretty old you could probably get away with HDMI direct to TV for 4K and HDR support and optical out from PS4 to receiver for Bitstream surround. Oh for optical out you need either PS4 Pro or OG PS4 (not slim, they removed the optical port).

Parapraxis

Many TVs offer an HDMI (FULL uncompressed audio!) Audio Return Channel, as the x800D does, so you may want to plug the PS4 directly into the TV, and send the audio back to the receiver via ARC.

If it's your only 4k device, upgrading your receiver may not be necessary.

Looked up the manual, ARC is on HDMI port 3.

Hey guys looking for some opinions on if I should sell my 55" LG 9300 OLED (2015 1080p model) to get the Sony 55X900E?

Would the HDR and 4k upgrade be worth it?

Thanks,

Argyle

It looks like the 43" X800E (successor to the X800D) is currently on sale for $750. Has anyone heard anything about this model?

x3sphere

Hey guys looking for some opinions on if I should sell my 55" LG 9300 OLED (2015 1080p model) to get the Sony 55X900E?

Would the HDR and 4k upgrade be worth it?

Thanks,

I owned the EC9300. in my opinion, the benefits of OLED trump HDR and the higher res.

so my suggestion is either get a 4K OLED or stick with what you have

Schlomo

Many TVs offer an HDMI (FULL uncompressed audio!) Audio Return Channel, as the x800D does, so you may want to plug the PS4 directly into the TV, and send the audio back to the receiver via ARC.

Is ARC really uncompressed audio? I thought it only supported Dolby 5.1 and DTS, but not linear PCM.

Unknown?

If your receiver is pretty old you could probably get away with HDMI direct to TV for 4K and HDR support and optical out from PS4 to receiver for Bitstream surround. Oh for optical out you need either PS4 Pro or OG PS4 (not slim, they removed the optical port).
You lose HQ audio doing that through optical though. Could always use an optical cable from TV to receiver.

If it's your only 4k device, upgrading your receiver may not be necessary.

Looked up the manual, ARC is on HDMI port 3.
How would one do that? Plug the PS4 into HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 goes to the receiver?

Thank you. As soon as I get some free time, I'll definitely look into seeing if my setup is the cause. It's not my RGB ranges though, i've made sure of that many times over, lol.

So basically, this is what the game should look like on my television(if your monitor displays correctly):

But here's what it actually looks like on my tv:

For clarity, those halos around bright objects should then smoothly gradate into black but instead, they're just distinguishable lines of color that just abruptly end:

On my 1080p Samsung set, this issue doesn't exist. It also doesn't exist when viewing these images elsewhere except on the the set itself. RGB properly set as well so it's definitely not that.
Do you have the 43" VA or 49" IPS TV? I wonder if it makes a difference. I have the 43" and I see the banding too.

Parapraxis

Is ARC really uncompressed audio? I thought it only supported Dolby 5.1 and DTS, but not linear PCM.

Yes, it appears you are correct, best you'll get is Dolby 5.1 and DTS.

Here's the TVs rtings listed and the ARC capabilities, the x800d isn't specifically there, though the x700d is and lists all types as passing through.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

So optical from PS4 to receiver or HDMI ARC on port 3 to receiver, or optical out from TV to receiver are all going to produce the same sound quality GuitarAtomik. Still generally very good sound, just not lossless uncompressed sound, which in rare occasions may be problematic with some games audio mixing.

EDIT: The only way to get proper uncompressed audio from your PS4 is directly from PS4 -> receiver via HDMI (which can carry that audio signal).

I too will be strongly considering a 4k receiver upgrade if I make the jump to 4k with this tv (x800d or x800e)

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Do you have the 43" VA or 49" IPS TV? I wonder if it makes a difference. I have the 43" and I see the banding too.

Yes, I have the 43'' VA set. Again, thank you for actually taking the time to look. I appreciate it.

So that makes three sets that have visible banding. I guess I know what I have to do now.

Yes, it appears you are correct, best you'll get is Dolby 5.1 and DTS.

Here's the TVs rtings listed and the ARC capabilities, the x800d isn't specifically there, though the x700d is and lists all types as passing through.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

So optical from PS4 to receiver or HDMI ARC on port 3 to receiver, or optical out from TV to receiver are all going to produce the same sound quality GuitarAtomik. Still generally very good sound, just not lossless uncompressed sound, which in rare occasions may be problematic with some games audio mixing.

EDIT: The only way to get proper uncompressed audio from your PS4 is directly from PS4 -> receiver via HDMI (which can carry that audio signal).

I too will be strongly considering a 4k receiver upgrade if I make the jump to 4k with this tv (x800d or x800e)

Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't really sure what ARC was until now so that helped too. Unfortunately, the 4k receiver I ordered doesn't seem to support it, but I guess that's not really a big deal.

Any knowledge about wireless surround sound speakers?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
So all of these sets have a banding issue?

Hopefully someone else can open up those images I posted at end of the last page up on their PS4s so we can be sure. Maybe it's just bad luck or just the 43'' inch sets, but hearing from more people would definitely help.

Shin-Ra

You should be able to see the subtle banding on those screenshots. If you see none whatsoever you've got a different problem.

Unknown?

After giving up for a long time on having my PS2 look good on this TV I finally found a setting where it doesn't look like ass. I know these games are old and always had blurry textures and baggies but it has always looked like crap! Turning sharpness to 0 and reality creation and resolution to max helped a lot along with turning down contrast from max.

I'm using composite cables but maybe one of those PS2 to HDMI converters would be even better? Idk.

III-V

In regards to the banding, it is caused by the source material if your TV is properly set up.

I have the 43" as well, but I don't have this game. One thing I notice is that your blacklight is blowing out the image. What do you have it set to? Your blacks are grey, and this has nothing to do with HDR.

I keep my backlight at min (0) for dark room viewing and about 5-10 if the room is overly bright.

To me, it just looks like an issue with the backlight being way, way to high.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
In regards to the banding, it is caused by the source material if your TV is properly set up.

I have the 43" as well, but I don't have this game. One thing I notice is that your blacklight is blowing out the image. What do you have it set to? Your blacks are grey, and this has nothing to do with HDR.

I keep my backlight at min (0) for dark room viewing and about 5-10 if the room is overly bright.

To me, it just looks like an issue with the backlight being way, way to high.

It's a non-HDR game. Has nothing to do with HDR. Open the image on your PS4 and let me know what you see.

Backlight is at minimum btw. I know it's usual to assume the other person has overlooked something (which, admittedly, is probably the case most of the time) but i feel like i've tried every combination of options available to me to diagnose the situation short of having other people test it out on their sets. Check out the images I posted here on your tv and tell me what you see.

III-V

It's a non-HDR game. Has nothing to do with HDR. Open the image on your PS4 and let me know what you see.

Right, thats why I said it has nothing to do with HDR. Its the backlight.

This set can properly dither a 10-bit signal (and even an artificial 12-bit signal). The source material is likely 8-bit.

EDIT: I see you edited after my post. If it is not the backlight, I am not sure why it is so blown out. Are you certain you do not have your video levels mismatched?

Double check (really) and post your full settings, please. I don't mind troubleshooting.

DOUBLE EDIT: if you don't feel like going through that trouble with me, at least do this: DL a true 10-bit color gradient ramp onto a flash drive, with the TV format set to HDMI signal format : Enhance 4K HDMI signal format, play the image (or video) through the TV's built in media player. You should not see grey bars at each increment. It should appear relatively smooth. (perfectly smooth would be infinite bit depth).

This troubleshooting step removes the PS4 so that the TV can be tested alone.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
DOUBLE EDIT: if you don't feel like going through that trouble with me, at least do this: DL a true 10-bit color gradient ramp onto a flash drive, with the TV format set to HDMI signal format : Enhance 4K HDMI signal format, play the image (or video) through the TV's built in media player. You should not see grey bars at each increment. It should appear relatively smooth. (perfectly smooth would be infinite bit depth).

This troubleshooting step removes the PS4 so that the TV can be tested alone.
With the Spears & Munsil quantization test, the 10-bit window shows very smooth gradation, with no perceptible increments from black to gray. The 8-bit window, as expected, shows banding.

III-V

With the Spears & Munsil quantization test, the 10-bit window shows very smooth gradation, with no perceptible increments from black to gray. The 8-bit window, as expected, shows banding.

Ok, thats good, no banding. I get the same result.

Are you able to now run this same test, but launching it from the PS4 as well? Is this a PS4 Pro? Also, if you ran it from your USB input on the TV, did you make sure to have the equivalent settings that you do on your gaming input?

I understand that you cannot switch it to 'game mode'.

EDIT: and always making sure that only HDMI 2 or 3 are used.

Is the dashboard being washed out an indicator that HDR is "on"?

or is the dashboard supposed to look exactly as it does with HDR "off" and my gamma settings in HDR mode are simply off?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information

III-V

Is the dashboard being washed out an indicator that HDR is "on"?

or is the dashboard supposed to look exactly as it does with HDR "off" and my gamma settings in HDR mode are simply off?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information

The dashboard will be blown out in HDR mode in a game, as the dashboard has no HDR metadata associated with it.

This is expected.

FLAguy954

I'm excited to say that I'll be choosig the Sony X900E as my next TV/monitor.

It has all of the features I need including 1080p/120Hz support (without the artifacts of the X930D).

Madness

The XE850 review is out on RTINGS and I think this is the equivilent to the XE800 series just with larger panel sizes. Gets a fairly good review.

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850e

Still would like to see a XE800 review though - surely that's coming?

The fact that brightness levels not really increased over last year leads me to think the same might happen for the X800E.

It has all of the features I need including 1080p/120Hz support (without the artifacts of the X930D).

I think this will be the tv to beat, especially at 49". FALD with great brightness, 120hz panel, etc. I want to see how the 49 X800E would compare. It does always come down to dollars and cents.

Jarnet87

It looks like the 43" X800E (successor to the X800D) is currently on sale for $750. Has anyone heard anything about this model?

Looks like it releases in the next couple weeks, waiting for Rtings to do a review on this set and the successor to the Samsung KU6300. If they are not major improvements wi will be looking to see if prices drop even further on the 2016 model.

Same. I'm trying to patiently wait for a June Fathers Day Sale, but so far, this is TV I'm picking up, too.

graybot

I'm getting a bit of a weird annoyance with my XD80 49 inch. When I watch Netflix or use other apps, it doesn't happen but when using my PS4 it happens all the time.

I'll be busy playing a game or watching a Blu Ray and the input information in the black bar at the top of the screen will randomly appear, showing HDMI 2 and the resolution, etc. With no input from me. Sometimes the sound will actually cut out for 2-3 seconds as well.

Any ideas what could be causing it? It's very distracting when it happens and also inadvertently killed me during a Bloodborne boss fight when I couldn't see my HP anymore, which isn't exactly ideal.

I'm experiencing the same issue

It was happening very seldom, but just now in the space of 30 mins playing titanfall 2 single player it happen 3 times

Very annoying

I'm experiencing the same issue

It was happening very seldom, but just now in the space of 30 mins playing titanfall 2 single player it happen 3 times

Very annoying

If it helps you can turn the info banner off in settings > channel setup. I've never had it pop up unexpectedly, only when changing channels, resolution or when HDR kicks in.

So I picked up an XBOX ONE S yesterday and wanted to know what 4K Blu-Rays are worth getting. I am already planning on getting Planet Earth II since it apparently looks incredible. I know of the issue with 4 Blu-Rays in that a lot of them are just 2K upscales, so if anyone has any recommendations from their own experience, let me know! The only other one I'm looking at (based on word of mouth) is The Revenant, but I'm also interested in John Wick and Mad Max: Fury Road!

Never mind! I found an easy to look at site that gives a list of real 4K movies! http://4kblurays.com/

When does the X800E actually release in North America? I may end up getting the 55".

I have seen both the end of April and the end of May.

ZOONAMI

Is there any solution for wireless headphones with the x800d.

Bluetooth doesn't work and even Sony golds plugged in via USB don't work.

I'm kind of fucking pissed.

Madness

Is there any solution for wireless headphones with the x800d.

Bluetooth doesn't work and even Sony golds plugged in via USB don't work.

I'm kind of fucking pissed.

Sony is bad at software or better implementation of firmware. Wireless bluetooth headphones required Android 6.0 with the latest profile. Which we now have. But Sony purposely does not support A2DP in the televisions. They're purposely limiting Android TV OS.

What are the best settings for the XBOX ONE S? I have:

Resolution: 4K UHD
Color Depth: 30 bits per pixel (10-bit)
Color Space Standard

The one I'm actually curious about is the color space. It should probably be set to PC RGB, but when I do, the TV still keeps limited selected (auto). When I switch the TV to full, it crushes the blacks. Is PC RGB not just full RGB? Should I just switch it to PC RGB and keep it on limited?

III-V

What are the best settings for the XBOX ONE S? I have:

Resolution: 4K UHD
Color Depth: 30 bits per pixel (10-bit)
Color Space Standard

The one I'm actually curious about is the color space. It should probably be set to PC RGB, but when I do, the TV still keeps limited selected (auto). When I switch the TV to full, it crushes the blacks. Is PC RGB not just full RGB? Should I just switch it to PC RGB and keep it on limited?

Color space is standard, you are confusing this with black level, sometimes called video level. The correct answer for black level is limited, unless you are forcing RGB from your Xbox One. And RGB is referring to chroma, not color space.

Top Bottom