• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Color space is standard, you are confusing this with black level, sometimes called video level. The correct answer for black level is limited, unless you are forcing RGB from your Xbox One. And RGB is referring to chroma, not color space.

Oh duh, I should have realized that! I'm just so used to the PS4's settings that I thought it was the same setting. Thanks!

Hey I just got the 43 inch a few days ago. Really enjoying it, but I have some questions if anyone can help.

1) What kind of USB device can it read videos/pictures/music from? My USB 2.0 flash drive doesn't work. Does it have to be a big external? Also, can HDR video be played through the USB somehow (I want to test it and don't have a capable BR-player or PS4 Pro yet).

2) What's the best web-browser app to download? It doesn't come with one pre-installed.

3) Honestly, I've never had to use an IR blaster before and I'm wondering what I'm supposed to do with it. It's already set up, and it control my comcast STB well enough, but do I have to leave it plugged in? Oh and, is one "earbuds" supposed to go in front of the tv with the other in front of the box, or do they stay near each other?

Edit : Oh man, I meant to ask if "HDR video be played through the USB".

Hey I just got the 43 inch a few days ago. Really enjoying it, but I have some questions if anyone can help.

1) What kind of USB device can it read videos/pictures/music from? My USB 2.0 flash drive doesn't work. Does it have to be a big external? Also, can USB video be played through the USB somehow (I want to test it and don't have a capable BR-player or PS4 Pro yet).

2) What's the best web-browser app to download? It doesn't come with one pre-installed.

3) Honestly, I've never had to use an IR blaster before and I'm wondering what I'm supposed to do with it. It's already set up, and it control my comcast STB well enough, but do I have to leave it plugged in? Oh and, is one "earbuds" supposed to go in front of the tv with the other in front of the box, or do they stay near each other?

any USB stick and you can play videos from it.

1) What kind of USB device can it read videos/pictures/music from? My USB 2.0 flash drive doesn't work. Does it have to be a big external? Also, can USB video be played through the USB somehow (I want to test it and don't have a capable BR-player or PS4 Pro yet).

Try a different USB stick. I was trying to watch some 4k demos of one stick and wouldn't recognize, switched to another and it worked fine.

Anyone have any good settings for using a Nintendo Switch on the X800D? It looks really washed out on it for me and messing with the settings just seems to make everything blown out and over saturated.

Yo, you guys owe it to yourselves to play Forza Horizon 3 on this set. It is seriously the most impressive lighting/color I've ever seen in a game. Absolutely breathtaking.

Anyone have any good settings for using a Nintendo Switch on the X800D? It looks really washed out on it for me and messing with the settings just seems to make everything blown out and over saturated.

Use these and you will be golden http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d/settings?uxtv=833f

III-V

Hey I just got the 43 inch a few days ago. Really enjoying it, but I have some questions if anyone can help.Edit : Oh man, I meant to ask if "HDR video be played through the USB".

Yes, you can play HDR videos through it. The USB stick needs to be properly formatted or the Sony will not read it.

https://sony-paa-pa-en-web--paa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25526/~/how-to-format-usb-storage-device-for-playback-on-tv%3F

Try lowering your backlight. Also, are you using all auto for your video settings on the set?

God damnit...so I'm on the TV right now, I hit the Home button to switch to a different app, I see "TV Software update".

So, there is a big one coming soon, one of the features being added : Bluetooth headset support*

*For : X940E ; X930E ; X900E ; X850E ; A1E

In other words, the 800 series isn't getting it.

Oh and thanks for the help on the USB stuff all.

God damnit...so I'm on the TV right now, I hit the Home button to switch to a different app, I see "TV Software update".

So, there is a big one coming soon, one of the features being added : Bluetooth headset support*

Website still has the November update as the latest. Was there anything interesting actually coming to the X800D?

Edit:

Avs forum to the rescue:

The long-awaited major software update for numerous D and E models is now out (sort of..)

As of posting, I have only received a notice of a Android TV software update but no actual update is available quite yet for download.

New Features:
Picture-in-picture
Task-switching
Samba Interactive TV
Asphalt Nitro game included
Bluetooth Audio support (for select models, not X800D)
HLG HDR support
Improved Settings screen
Add multiple Google accounts

LifeLike

1eYR6IuIG.jpg

Got this message today, I can see XBR-**X800D

Try lowering your backlight. Also, are you using all auto for your video settings on the set?

I have the backlight pretty low already and yes I am using the auto settings, I've gotten it to look pretty good now after using the rtings settings and doing some tweaks of my own.

Madness

My cable box fell and broke a cable inside the HDMI 1 input. Now even slight movement of the cable or television cause it to lose picture. Should I call for repair? Would suck if I have to get motherboard replaced. Plus I hate repairing things. My television been mint condition. Having it be sent in guarantees scratches as some guy throws it face down on a random blanket. You see some of these repair people sometimes?

Copenap

I don't know what I did but the TV always defaults to channel 110 now instead of the last channel watched. Anyone know where to change this?

Coxy100

Banned
Goddamn - this TV is awesome. I bought it in November but my PS4 (Slim) was hooked up to a 24" monitor in my gaming room.

I've now brought the PS4 down to the lounge and hooked it up to the TV - wow! Obviously it uses HDR so that makes a difference, but damn it looks great.

On topic.. does the TV turn on when you turn on the PS4 if you've got the settings right?

DieH@rd

Banned
Yes. You can even setup TV to automatically turn on PS4 and switch to its HDMI source by saying ~"switch to playstation".

Toe-Knee

Can you please explain this process to me step by step as if Im 6 years old?

I think maybe the voice control function of the remote is being referred to?

However all you need to do is enable hdmi control in the ps4 settings then the ps4 will make the TV power on and switch to the right source. You will also be able to control the ps4 menus using the TV remote including play /pause etc in Netflix and other apps

My cable box fell and broke a cable inside the HDMI 1 input. Now even slight movement of the cable or television cause it to lose picture. Should I call for repair? Would suck if I have to get motherboard replaced. Plus I hate repairing things. My television been mint condition. Having it be sent in guarantees scratches as some guy throws it face down on a random blanket. You see some of these repair people sometimes?

Either repair it yourself or buy an HDMI switch and use that on HDMI 2.

Madness

Either repair it yourself or buy an HDMI switch and use that on HDMI 2.

Still within one year warranty so could get Sony to do it. But they'll send it to a shitty repair center nearby, I am certain. Maybe I'll do it as it gets closer to finishing the warranty.

Also got the software update tab but still hasn't actually come out. Hopefully soon. Absolutely dumb that the D series of televisions despite having the Android and hardware support for bluetooth headsets won't get it activated especially the X800D which shares identical hardware with the X900E in terms of the connectivity required I think.

ghibli99

I am seeing the X800E model in stock now at my local Best Buy. I guess the D is officially phased out.
I wonder if all of the HDMI inputs now support HDR, not just 2 and 3? That's one of my only gripes about the X800D... our cheaper RGBW LG supports HDR on all inputs.

I wonder if all of the HDMI inputs now support HDR, not just 2 and 3? That's one of my only gripes about the X800D... our cheaper RGBW LG supports HDR on all inputs.

The x900e that I am getting tomorrow is just 2 and 3 I believe. I image the x800e is the same.

Toe-Knee

Hey guys could you do me a favour and tell me the model number for the remote.

My 2 year old has made mine vanish. I've been using the android app since it vanished but it feels like Crap so I'm gonna buy a replacement.

Cheers.

Gunharp

Recently tried out a LG 27UD69P-W 27" monitor. It was a nice upgrade from my Sony KDL-40W600B but for regular PC work, 4K at 27" was just to small. Shopped around for 30"-32" 4k monitors, and yeesh those are pretty spendy and I don't need a professional graphics display. Ended up with a new XBR43X800D for $600! Consoles look great, especially my PS4 Pro :) With my PC though there are some display issues, hopefully someone can help me out?

I have a GTX 770 card and it's connected to the X800D via a HDMI 1.4b cable, desktop at 4k 30hz looks just fine but when I run games at 1080p they are locked to 30hz. Using either the HDMI 2, 3, or 1 input ports I get expected color AFAIK at 3840x2160 60hz but black lines/text has this weird blue hue to it especially on white backgrounds.This happens whether the TV is set to enhanced or standard HDMI signal input. But at least I can at least run games in 1080p at 60hz. Also when I have it set to 4k 60hz, if I switch the display in Win10 to 1920x1080, color fades and there are horizontal lines present, example here. The heck causes that? Lastly pressing 'Display' on the remote always shows 3840x2160p 4K 16:9 in all of these settings.

So what can I do? Display port to HDMI cable? New GPU? If I go this route will I have to use a high speed HDMI cable plus either the HDMI 2 or 3 inputs to avoid the weird blue text issue @3840x2160 60hz? Thanks!

lazerfox

I have a GTX 770 card and it's connected to the X800D via a HDMI 1.4b cable, desktop at 4k 30hz looks just fine but when I run games at 1080p they are locked to 30hz.

Vsync probably locks it at 30hz

So what can I do? Display port to HDMI cable? New GPU? If I go this route will I have to use a high speed HDMI cable plus either the HDMI 2 or 3 inputs to avoid the weird blue text issue @3840x2160 60hz? Thanks!

The GTX 770 anyway can only display 30hz at 3840x2160 over HDMI.

Maybe try to fiddle with your color settings in the nvidia control panel.

These are my settings. Just make sure to change the refresh rate to 30hz.
32Zr3jZ.png

If that doesn't work you could try to get a Displayport to HDMI cable. The GTX 770 supports 4k at 60hz over Displayport. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications
I never tried this so I don't know if that will work.

Gunharp

Vsync probably locks it at 30hz

D'oh! That was it, hitting display on the remote even shows 1080p output when playing PC games at 1920x1080 w/Vsync off.

These are my settings. Just make sure to change the refresh rate to 30hz.

Bummer here, as RGB 8bpc and YCbCr44 8bpc are the only color settings that don't exhibit the weird color stuff I described.

If that doesn't work you could try to get a Displayport to HDMI cable. The GTX 770 supports 4k at 60hz over Displayport. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications
I never tried this so I don't know if that will work.

Looking up cables, yet to find one where a GTX 770 owner reported that things worked out. Including that popular Cable3D adapter. Guess I'll need to go the new GPU route, just waiting on Vega... Thanks lazer!

DieHardCubFN

Neo Member
I dug further into the RTINGS.com settings and tried out the Adv. Color Temperature settings. I was pretty pleased with the settings, and really like them so far. All my connections are set to them now. PS4, XBONE, PC, and Cable. Give them a try and see what you think. I have the 49 inch X800D.

Top Bottom