• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Unknown?

This tv really is amazing lol. The new FW made some super nice quality of life changes for me. Going to the sleep menu doesn't take up the whole screen and make you miss what you were watching anymore. The os actually feels really responsive this thing is a real beast as a computer monitor. That's my primary use and I just learned something amazing playing around in my nvidia control panel last night.

People always say to use GPU scaling but I tried display scaling with full screen and it was so much better I couldn't even believe it. Like instantly noticeable! If you play a lot of games that you can't run at 4k then you should definitely switch the scaling to display for improved IQ. I tried Arkham knight at 1440p It looked amazing.

Oh and like the guy above me mentioned. I changed my color format to ycbcr 444 instead of RGB and Mass Effect looked amazing with HDR. I guess I'll try RBG limited next time.

TLDR: scaling on this TV kicks GPU scaling ass.
How do you switch to display scaling??

Alebelly

I'm starting to strongly favor the 900e, for the couple hundred more it seems to be worth it. Especially given the x800e review @rtings.

I got the 49" x900e. Its realy nice. But look at the end of the rtings review, because it uses a kinda crappy upscaler for some reason, and some, not all, of my 1080p games look kinda bad.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

But i was able to set a few different resolutions through nvidia inspector to run native 120hz, which is great for some games, but for some reason when the tv is set to 120hz the picture quality suffers, looks interlaced, so I usually just leave to run at 60hz.

But Im happy with it. Have both my PC and PS4 Pro hooked up to it.

Mindman

I got the 49" x900e. Its realy nice. But look at the end of the rtings review, because it uses a kinda crappy upscaler for some reason, and some, not all, of my 1080p games look kinda bad.

But i was able to set a few different resolutions through nvidia inspector to run native 120hz, which is great for some games, but for some reason when the tv is set to 120hz the picture quality suffers, looks interlaced, so I usually just leave to run at 60hz.

Game and Graphics modes use different kinds of scaling. Try both. They have the same input lag.

How is input lag on it when it comes to your PC?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Game and Graphics modes use different kinds of scaling. Try both. They have the same input lag.

Yeah, Graphics is really nice for certain applications (pixel art games, etc.) as it's nearest neighbor with no filtering.

Plum

So I've given myself a budget of £1,000 for the TV and a few other things that really make use of it. So far I've got:
- Horizon: Zero Dawn
- Xbox One S 500GB w/ Forza Horizon 3
- Planet Earth 2 4KBD
- Life of Pi 4KBD
Any other small things I should add or things I should change? I've already got stuff like Infamous: SS and UC4 for some good HDR content.

Also, is the colour quality of the 43 inch version that much better than the 49 inch to justify its smaller size and worse viewing angles? Either is fine but I'd definitely prefer the larger model if the downsides aren't as bad.

DieH@rd

Banned
So I've given myself a budget of £1,000 for the TV and a few other things that really make use of it. So far I've got:
- Horizon: Zero Dawn
- Xbox One S 500GB w/ Forza Horizon 3
- Planet Earth 2 4KBD
- Life of Pi 4KBD
Any other small things I should add or things I should change? I've already got stuff like Infamous: SS and UC4 for some good HDR content.

Also, is the colour quality of the 43 inch version that much better than the 49 inch to justify its smaller size and worse viewing angles? Either is fine but I'd definitely prefer the larger model if the downsides aren't as bad.

The difference is not color quality (both are fine) but the contrast ratio. VA has 4x-5x better contrast than IPS, and contrast is one of hte most important parts of the image quality. Essentially, because of the poor contrast, blacks on the 49X800D IPS will be "dark gray". Viewing in dark enviroment will be quite poor.

The current reccomendation is entry level 43X800D (43XD8005) or midrange 49X900E (49XE9005), but price difference between them is quite high. If you have to get IPS X800D, just know that contrast will be far from the best.

Avoid X800E series.

Plum

The difference is not color quality (both are fine) but the contrast ratio. VA has 4x-5x better contrast than IPS, and contrast is one of hte most important parts of the image quality. Essentially, because of the poor contrast, blacks on the 49X800D IPS will be "dark gray". Viewing in dark enviroment will be quite poor.

The current reccomendation is entry level 43X800D (43XD8005) or midrange 49X900E (49XE9005), but price difference between them is quite high. If you have to get IPS X800D, just know that contrast will be far from the best.

Avoid X800E series.

Hmmm. Well I won't be getting this straight away so I'll do some measurements and see if I'd be fine with 43 inches. The only issue is that I'll viewing it from a decent distance away and I'm not sure whether I'd get the 4K benefit; decent distance being around 6-7 feet during the Summer and about 10-12 feet when I move into my new Uni place in September.

zedge

Not getting the update on x800d. Anywhere in the TV I can look for update? I know Samsung TVs had a built in system like that.
In settings, "about tv" or "info" I think it's called. Similar to android phones.

You can also download to USB from NA website.

Freiya

How do you switch to display scaling??

I dunno how you do it for AMD but for Nvidia you go to the control panel - Adjust desktop size and position. Check full screen and set perform scaling on display.

Not getting the update on x800d. Anywhere in the TV I can look for update? I know Samsung TVs had a built in system like that.

I had to get the update from sony official site and load it on a usb stick.

I'm thinking of picking up the 49" 800D. Oddly enough it is only 30 dollars more than the 43".

Any big concerns with this TV? I'm not a real sound snob and my room is well lit. I just want a good 4K HDR TV with a low input lag that doesn't cost too much.

I'm thinking of picking up the 49" 800D. Oddly enough it is only 30 dollars more than the 43".

Any big concerns with this TV? I'm not a real sound snob and my room is well lit. I just want a good 4K HDR TV with a low input lag that doesn't cost too much.

It has an IPS panel instead of a VA panel on the 43" inch. Therefore the contrast ratio is much better on the 43"

I own 49" and it's been a great TV. It depends if size is more important to you.

Here is a reddit post answering your question:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/5e07fx/43_vs_49_x800d_which_is_the_better_buy/

It has an IPS panel instead of a VA panel on the 43" inch. Therefore the contrast ratio is much better on the 43"

I own 49" and it's been a great TV. It depends if size is more important to you.

Here is a reddit post answering your question:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/5e07fx/43_vs_49_x800d_which_is_the_better_buy/

Thanks for your input and sharing.

Without seeing both tv in person I wouldn't know how significant the contrast ratio would be to my decision. I do care a lot about size though.

This tv really is amazing lol. The new FW made some super nice quality of life changes for me. Going to the sleep menu doesn't take up the whole screen and make you miss what you were watching anymore. The os actually feels really responsive this thing is a real beast as a computer monitor. That's my primary use and I just learned something amazing playing around in my nvidia control panel last night.

People always say to use GPU scaling but I tried display scaling with full screen and it was so much better I couldn't even believe it. Like instantly noticeable! If you play a lot of games that you can't run at 4k then you should definitely switch the scaling to display for improved IQ. I tried Arkham knight at 1440p It looked amazing.

Oh and like the guy above me mentioned. I changed my color format to ycbcr 444 instead of RGB and Mass Effect looked amazing with HDR. I guess I'll try RBG limited next time.

TLDR: scaling on this TV kicks GPU scaling ass.

Can you post a screenshot?

Robert807

I can't find the x800d tv at any local shops in town. I found the x800e at lots of stores. I could buy the 800d on Amazon but it cost 200$ more plus 30$ in shipping. The 800e can't be that bad ? Can it. I m not sure what I should do.

I can't find the x800d tv at any local shops in town. I found the x800e at lots of stores. I could buy the 800d on Amazon but it cost 200$ more plus 30$ in shipping. The 800e can't be that bad ? Can it. I m not sure what I should do.

Are you buying the 43" or the 49"?

You lose the VA panel with the 43"E AFAIK so you definitely want to get the D.

I am guessing the D model stock will be gone at some point. I am not sure how long you can wait on them. I don't really know the TV market.

Wait are you able to get the 800d for 400 somewhere?

Picked up the 800d a few weeks ago. Really liking this TV.

PS4 Pro looks great.

There's a blurring filter on the Game display mode when I play retro systems...not sure what I think of it. I keep switching back and forth on it.

Lag time on the TV for the retro systems is great, though. It's the most comfortable I've felt playing NES/SNES/Genesis games in years.

Want to show your shiny 4k TV off? Try downloading This Video

It was made by Sony to show off their OLED range so has 4k + 10bit Colour + HDR.

Just put the mp4 file on a USB stick or similar external device, plug it in and watch.

I found it mightily impressive and really shows off what the XD800 can do.

If anyone has links to similar 4k videos that shows off the TV, could you post them up for me please?

Really? You sure you have it calibrated properly? Because if this is true then I might have to reconsider. Was hoping the Switch would look alright on the thing.

The games look absolutely fine. They look better than what you would get on most other TVs. Games like Zelda are sub-1080p so there isn't much you can do besides emulating it to make it look sharper. The home screen of the Switch, however, looks really ugly and that is because it is 720p.

You know what? Turning on HDR10 while playing The Order 1886 doesn't even look bad. Like, other games look terrible when you force HDR, but this game isn't like that at all. Really interesting! I have a feeling that the black bars sort of keep it from going crazy with highlights and the end result is pretty convincing. I recommend trying it! I played from the part where you are on the airship if you want to see exactly what I saw.

RS4-

lol this is annoying, two of the USB sticks I have lying around aren't detected, so I can't update.

The other USB that I used previously to update, I don't have on me.

I know the port works because my external hdd shows up with movies, pictures on it. Unfortunately, formatting the external with the .pkg file on it doesn't show up lol.

Oh well, I'll just have to get the USB back.

Can't update via the tv help. But the update is mentioned in one of the home screen tiles, just outlines whats in it.

Unknown?

I had my advanced settings set up exactly as rting had it(except warm and not expert) and recently reset it to default and it looks so much better in HDR. Guess they were right that sets vary. What's a good calibration video I can download or watch on YouTube? I don't think I'm good enough to adjust that 10 point color calibration though.

is it true you need FALD for true HDR otherwise everything just looks washed out? I want to get this TV but lack of FALD seems like a deal breaker for HDR content.

Madness

So 43 in 800D is $600 on sale at BB...

Should I get this or wait until the 900E closer or on Black Friday?

Anyone have both maybe?

One is a 43" and one is 49". Do you need the 49", if so the X900E is far superior to the X800D in every aspect. Nearly triple the sustained brightness, far better black levels, better processor and upscaling etc.

However, pick the X800D over the X800E which this year seems to be garbo.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
HDR question.

Injustice 2 only supports HDR10, which this TV does not support. Fine. No HDR Injustice 2 for me.

According to this review of the upcoming Logan 4K release:
One sad side note here is that although Logan was shown in Dolby Vision in compatible cinemas, the film is only available on this 4K disc release in the HDR10 format.

Does this mean I also cannot watch Logan in HDR? This is making me sad.

HDR question.

Injustice 2 only supports HDR10, which this TV does not support. Fine. No HDR Injustice 2 for me.

According to this review of the upcoming Logan 4K release:

Does this mean I also cannot watch Logan in HDR? This is making me sad.

Lol, man, you have it entirely wrong! This TV supports the fuck out of HD10 and HLG HDR. It doesn't support Dolby Vision which is fine because not many things support it.

Where'd you get the notion that it doesn't support it?

One is a 43" and one is 49". Do you need the 49", if so the X900E is far superior to the X800D in every aspect. Nearly triple the sustained brightness, far better black levels, better processor and upscaling etc.

However, pick the X800D over the X800E which this year seems to be garbo.
I don't mind 43 but I do want HDR to be at a good standard before I finally get a 4K set...think I'll wait on X900 then. Almost double the price ATM...

Freiya

Can you post a screenshot?
Of? I mean I can use my phone if you'd like.

I'm totally laughing at all these people freaking out over hdr too. I dunno wtf everyone else is going on about but hdr in mass effect on my x800d looks amazing. There is no washed out anything after changing from rgb full and I don't even want to play without hdr that's how much of a difference it makes to me.

Top Bottom