• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Lol, man, you have it entirely wrong! This TV supports the fuck out of HD10 and HLG HDR. It doesn't support Dolby Vision which is fine because not many things support it.

Where'd you get the notion that it doesn't support it?

It does? When I play Injustice 2 on XBO, the option to enable HDR is disabled because 'my hardware does not support HDR10'. Is it only available on certain HDMI input? I am playing on an XBO S and it says it's outputting 4K in video options.

It does? When I play Injustice 2 on XBO, the option to enable HDR is disabled because 'my hardware does not support HDR10'. Is it only available on certain HDMI input? I am playing on an XBO S and it says it's outputting 4K in video options.

2 and 3 only, and you need to select the enhance HDMI output option or something like that

OmegaDL50

The X800D only supports 4K HDR on HDMI ports 2 and 3, also you need to have Enhanced HDMI enabled in the TV's system configuration.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
HDR indeed does that :)
tIHDZFh.jpg

zedge

Did we ever figure out the solution to why it looks washed out when you put content in HDR (Specifically, the PS4)???

Is it actual HDR content? Even the default settings on my set (49 inch) HDR never looked washed out. If you have enabled enhanced HDMI for 2 and 3 and are viewing actual HDR it should look great. Although I get the impression some people think HDR should make the colors melt your face off and that's not really the point. I dunno.

Is it actual HDR content? Even the default settings on my set (49 inch) HDR never looked washed out. If you have enabled enhanced HDMI for 2 and 3 and are viewing actual HDR it should look great. Although I get the impression some people think HDR should make the colors melt your face off and that's not really the point. I dunno.

No its definitely all hdr content, my tv is on ehanced, and my setting on ps4 pro is on hdr. It makes everything washed out looking. Some others have mentioned this in this thread as well. I read something about it possibly being the tv making the whole screen light up instead of the pixels that need to be only lit.

I played Paragon on pc today and turrned on its HDR mode and the same thing happened. Washed out pictures. To give a visual example, it looks like someone cranked up the gamma or contrast up to a high level

Washed out picture is usually a symptom of running HDR content in non HDR mode. Verify your display settings, there should be an HDR icon at the top right if your tv is in HDR mode.

Think I may know the problem, but i dont know the solution.

Okay, so I was saying that my tv is good to go. Everything is on enhanced and HDR. So when I look at my playstation 4 pro settings, it looks like this...

dveK2a

But then when I play a game, it starts looking washed out. So I took and went back to the settings menu, and its now saying this....

cLniTF

Not sure how to fix it, but I do believe this to be the problem.

EDIT: Don't know if you guys can see those pics. If not, right click and press view in another window/tab

DieHardCubFN

Neo Member
Think I may know the problem, but i dont know the solution.

Okay, so I was saying that my tv is good to go. Everything is on enhanced and HDR. So when I look at my playstation 4 pro settings, it looks like this...

dveK2a

But then when I play a game, it starts looking washed out. So I took and went back to the settings menu, and its now saying this....

cLniTF

Not sure how to fix it, but I do believe this to be the problem.

EDIT: Don't know if you guys can see those pics. If not, right click and press view in another window/tab

You have it right on the 2nd picture. Make sure all video setting on both PS and TV are set to Auto.

That message is normal and is a PS4 limitation I believe, I just checked and mine says the same thing however FFXV looks amazing, quite the opposite from washed out there is a lot of contrast and definition and I can make out details in deep blacks

Edit: what game do you have? I wonder if I have it

That message is normal and is a PS4 limitation I believe, I just checked and mine says the same thing however FFXV looks amazing, quite the opposite from washed out there is a lot of contrast and definition and I can make out details in deep blacks

It's like my normal setting are superior, brighter and beautiful. What's the verdict here? Do I just have a bad set?

All my PS4 HDR games are in one folder. I have, first light, second son, Ff15, horizon, tomb raider, kingdom hearts 2.8, resident evil 7, elder scrolls online, overwatch, paragon, and the last of us

I just tried with Resident evil 7 as well and it looks quite good. If I put HDR to off on the tv after starting the game in HDR it looks washed off and terrible, no deep blacks anymore. If this is what you are seeing I am pretty sure something is wrong in your set or setup. I am running all of this in game HDR ( because I care about input lag) and that is not even as good as the regular HDR

I just tried with Resident evil 7 as well and it looks quite good. If I put HDR to off on the tv after starting the game in HDR it looks washed off and terrible, no deep blacks anymore. If this is what you are seeing I am pretty sure something is wrong in your set or setup. I am running all of this in game HDR ( because I care about input lag) and that is not even as good as the regular HDR

Mine is the exact opposite. Whenever I go HDR, the colors are paste-y and dry. When I turn it off, my colors are vibrant. I'm doing a system reset now. So if it's my set, can I send it back to Sony? Gotta be some kind of warranty right? I do believe I got it this year.

OmegaDL50

I just checked to make sure. Both are on auto. Could it be possible that my hdmi cable is at fault? Its saying something about hdmi transfer speeds

This is a limitation of HDMI 2.0 in general.

It has a max bandwidth capacity of 18Gbps. Basically a higher bandwidth is needed to handle both 4K HDR10 and 4:4:4 Chroma subsampling.

The PS4 is a HDMI 2.0 device, so it won't ever get the advantages of HDMI 2.1 with it's higher bandwidth caps, outside of a hardware revision.

Freiya

I did a system reset, it's still the same. This sucks

Ok man try this, turn your ps4 to the ycbr color format and then turn your TV to the same thing. Don't leave them on auto. You can also put them both on RGB limited and that should work as well I believe. There was someone who figured this out already earlier in the thread. I also learned that to get HDR working on my pc games I had to change my color format to basically anything but RGB full.

Again don't leave it set to auto and don't use RGB full.

Ok man try this, turn your ps4 to the ycbr color format and then turn your TV to the same thing. Don't leave them on auto. You can also put them both on RGB limited and that should work as well I believe. There was someone who figured this out already earlier in the thread. I also learned that to get HDR working on my pc games I had to change my color format to basically anything but RGB full.

I've actually done both before. Many times to try to fix it. Limited does help with overall picture, but still washed. Like it's bad when my normal setting look better

Auto settings on the PS4 Pro are slightly borked. After testing all week with my new xd800, I can 100% say that Auto doesn't quite work as intended. You can still get a good quality picture from Auto settings, just not the best quality picture. Firstly, when set to Auto, the Pro does not output in Full RGB, despite it saying it does in the settings. It outputs some weird signal that is far, far closer to limited but by pushing the black level up you can get Full RGB values - this is the inverse of what is expected and therefore very odd. It will switch between RGB and YUV when you load up a HDR capable game but this makes accurate calibration of the TV impossible as there is a small difference between calibration setings for Full RGB and Limited RGB that I found in my testing.

My recommendation is to make 2 calibration settings - 1st for SDR games, 2nd for HDR games. For the 1st, force the Pro into 2160RGB and also force Full range RGB (check that the HDMI port on the TV is set to Auto or Full in the TV's menus too) and calibrate your picture for Full RGB. 2nd Setting, force the Pro into 2160 YUV and also force Limited RGB (as before check your HDMI port is set to Auto or Limited in your TV's menus too) and calibrate your TV for Limited RGB range. In both cases, write down where you have your values - for example when I use my SDR settings, my black level is set at 49 and my contrast at max; when using my HDR settings, my black level is at 50 and contrast at 96.

While it is a very, very minor pain to switch settings, it does produce the most accurate settings for both cases.

For the record, I use AVForums calibration disk and it can be downloaded free from here

III-V

It's like my normal setting are superior, brighter and beautiful. What's the verdict here? Do I just have a bad set?

On of the issues is that you can crank the backlight up so that SDR watching is as bright as HDR signals, so when it switches to a proper HDR signals and levels, the average picture level may be lowered.

Also remember never to force HDR, as SDR content will not look correct.

Post your settings if you want some help.

Auto settings on the PS4 Pro are slightly borked. After testing all week with my new xd800, I can 100% say that Auto doesn't quite work as intended. You can still get a good quality picture from Auto settings, just not the best quality picture. Firstly, when set to Auto, the Pro does not output in Full RGB, despite it saying it does in the settings. It outputs some weird signal that is far, far closer to limited but by pushing the black level up you can get Full RGB values - this is the inverse of what is expected and therefore very odd. It will switch between RGB and YUV when you load up a HDR capable game but this makes accurate calibration of the TV impossible as there is a small difference between calibration setings for Full RGB and Limited RGB that I found in my testing.

I also calibrate with the AVS test disc and an I1DP, and have had zero issues with the PS4 Pro on Auto with the 43 X800D on Auto.

For SDR I get 8-bit video level Full, RGB 4:4:4, at 2160p. For HDR, I get a mix of YUV 422, 420 10 and 12 bit but always 'limited' video level (its different, but as far as the TV is concerned if you switch TV ti full it gets mismatched video levels)

My recommendation is to make 2 calibration settings - 1st for SDR games, 2nd for HDR games....
While it is a very, very minor pain to switch settings, it does produce the most accurate settings for both cases.

I do something very similar.
Most everything needed for TV calibration can be found through these links:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226328947&postcount=130

I also calibrate with the AVS test disc and an I1DP, and have had zero issues with the PS4 Pro on Auto with the 43 X800D on Auto.

For SDR I get 12-bit video level Full, RGB 4:4:4, at 2160p. For HDR, I get a mix of YUV 422, 420 10 and 12 bit but always 'limited' video level (its different, but as far as the TV is concerned if you switch TV ti full it gets mismatched video levels)

Do you get a Full RGB test pattern from the reference black generator pattern (1st pattern on the basic settings of the AVforums disk) when you set the Pro to Auto? I've tested this several times and it won't output Full RGB for me. I can only get the Pro to output Full RGB if I manually set it to do so - then it works as intended.

III-V

Do you get a Full RGB test pattern from the reference black generator pattern (1st pattern on the basic settings of the AVforums disk) when you set the Pro to Auto? I've tested this several times and it won't output Full RGB for me. I can only get the Pro to output Full RGB if I manually set it to do so - then it works as intended.

Yes, I have verified with measurements and additionally, I have it running through my AVR, and my AVR lists most aspects of the video signal for reference.

I have not looked at this since the latest firmware update, admittedly, but it has been working fine previously. I have had this set since before November last year.

EDIT: Here are some tests I made last year:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224303412&postcount=700

DOUBLE EDIT: Your comment got me thinking, if you have dowloaded the AVS disc burned it to a physical disc, and play it from the PS4 media player, the player may force all media to be output in limited setting, which may account for the 'inverse' video levels as you have mentioned earlier, if the disc is content is full RGB levels and it very well may not be. I think that disc is specifically designed for limited video levels (i.e., TV and film) and not for set-up of PC monitor (full).

Ill be back on after a few hours.

Yes, I have verified with measurements and additionally, I have it running through my AVR, and my AVR lists most aspects of the video signal for reference.

I have not looked at this since the latest firmware update, admittedly, but it has been working fine previously. I have had this set since before November last year.

EDIT: Here are some tests I made last year:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224303412&postcount=700

Ok, just did another check with the calibration disk and the Pro and found something out. When I set the Pro to Auto, I get a limited RGB signal on the TV. However, if I set the HDMI port to accept/force full rather than Auto (on the xd800 picture settings), then indeed Pro Auto setting is outputting Full RGB. So the TV/port is what was causing the problem my end. I wonder if this is a firmware issue? EU here so we dont have that firmware that was mentioned in this thread a few pages back.

III-V

Ok, just did another check with the calibration disk and the Pro and found something out. When I set the Pro to Auto, I get a limited RGB signal on the TV. However, if I set the HDMI port to accept/force full rather than Auto (on the xd800 picture settings), then indeed Pro Auto setting is outputting Full RGB. So the TV/port is what was causing the problem my end. I wonder if this is a firmware issue? EU here so we dont have that firmware that was mentioned in this thread a few pages back.

It does seem that there is a difference in the EDID handshake.

It does seem that there is a difference in the EDID handshake.

Can I ask if you're in the US and have the latest firmware? And which HDMI port is your Pro connected to (mine is on HDMI3)? It's all a bit odd but as a whole the "issue" is something that is easily overcome from my end.

EDIT: Just seen the edited post above. Sorry if I'm hassling you. I know what you're saying about the disk/player but it does give the correct levels in the correct settings, whether Full or Limited. Had the disk since PS3 days and both PS3 and 4 and Pro all output the levels fine providing the correct signals are sent from the machine. Granted, it's the only calibration disk I've ever used but I'm pretty confident the disk and player are doing what I expect.

III-V

Can I ask if you're in the US and have the latest firmware? And which HDMI port is your Pro connected to (mine is on HDMI3)? It's all a bit odd but as a whole the "issue" is something that is easily overcome from my end.

Yes, I am in the US and I do have the latest firmware, although I have nor re-run the tests on the latest firmware.

I have used either port 2 or 3 no difference.

Sorry im just now posting back, but I honestly have no clue what the hell im doing with this calibration test thing. I just see crap tons of files. I think im going to keep setting backs some money for an OLED tv. I heard those are the best when it comes to HDR. Would you guys recommend a budget one for me?

Curufinwe

to output 4K from the Pro, you need to adjust the TV, go to:

HOME >SETTINGS >EXTERNAL INPUTS > HDMI signal format >Enhanced format

Make sure you use the appropriate HDMI inputs, typically HDMI 2 or 3.

I'm thinking of getting the X900E soon and I'm really glad I found this bit of advice before I got it home.

Unknown?

In order for my TV to show the right color according to the avs color steps/clipping I have to turn color down to 30, does that seem right? It looks a bit weird but maybe I'm used to vibrant colors?

I just got the 43" X80D and I was wondering about washed out colours also.

I have the HDR device in the enhanced ports with the setting on but when playing a movie I found that the black bars at the top/bottom of a movie are more grey than black.

Alebelly

I just got the 43" X80D and I was wondering about washed out colours also.

I have the HDR device in the enhanced ports with the setting on but when playing a movie I found that the black bars at the top/bottom of a movie are more grey than black.

If HDR isn't working/compatible you will get some extreme whites being completely blown out, it's impossible to miss.

I found the picture to appear washed out as well.

43" 4k TVs do not have the same tech as larger screens.

49"+ if you want an ideal 4k HDR image.

Settings and review from rtings is infromative
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d/settings

X800D or E is the best 43" you can buy.

Alebelly

How is input lag on it when it comes to your PC?

It's good, no complaints.

(audio sucks compared to the Samsung though)

Weird honeymoon phase getting to understand these fancy 4k TVs, happy

I was able to set multiple resolutions through Nvidia control panel to native 120hz, which is very cool, but the image quality suffered, depends on the game, but really nice option anyways

2944 x 1656p @ 120hz was the highest I could get it to recognize

If HDR isn't working/compatible you will get some extreme whites being completely blown out, it's impossible to miss.

I found the picture to appear washed out as well.

43" 4k TVs do not have the same tech as larger screens.

49"+ if you want any ideal 4k HDR image.

Settings and review from rtings is infromative
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d/settings

X800D or E is the best 43" you can buy.

I have the X800D, I'm pretty sure HDR is working I'm just confused as to why it would affect things like the black borders on a movie.

Do I have to mess around with the RGB settings or what?

Top Bottom