• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Toe-Knee

my speed is 75down/6up using WiFi connection. I am sure speed is fast enough, do you guys think I must use a hardwire ethernet cable?

Also, have you guys tried Amazon Prime 4K movies on the PS4 Pro? It doesn't seem to do 4K movies either.

I had loads of issues using WiFi. Constant disconnections and slow speeds. Since switching to ethernet I haven't had any issues.

With regards to amazon 4k it can sometimes take a minute or so to get up to that quality whilst it buffers.

Formosa

I had loads of issues using WiFi. Constant disconnections and slow speeds. Since switching to ethernet I haven't had any issues.

With regards to amazon 4k it can sometimes take a minute or so to get up to that quality whilst it buffers.
Ya was playing a UHD movie the quality became a little better after 30 sec, but it's displaying 720 - 1080p, not 4K. I am gonna try to use an ethernet tonight to see if that's the problem.

How about 4K Prime Videos on the PS4 or PS PRO? It doesn't work right?

Toe-Knee

Ya was playing a UHD movie the quality became a little better after 30 sec, but it's displaying 720 - 1080p, not 4K. I am gonna try to use an ethernet tonight to see if that's the problem.

How about 4K Prime Videos on the PS4 or PS PRO? It doesn't work right?

Pretty sure you can wish them in the Amazon instant video app on the pro.

There's definitely a prime video section.

Formosa

Pretty sure you can wish them in the Amazon instant video app on the pro.

There's definitely a prime video section.

Ya, but not in 4K right? I read that Amazon Prime 4K videos only works on the Xbox S. Becuase Sony Playstation does not have a contract with the Prime (4K).

Toe-Knee

Ya, but not in 4K right? I read that Amazon Prime 4K videos only works on the Xbox S. Becuase Sony Playstation does not have a contract with the Prime (4K).

Oh you mean in the Playstation in not sure I just used the TV app which does play in 4k.

Oh my bad I misread. I know for sure that Netflix works in 4k on ps4 but you have to get the top subscription tier.

Hi guys, I just got the 43inch version and I'm testing how HDR looks. I'm watching Iron Fist on the Netflix app and playing around with the TV settings when I set HDR to Auto everything gets really dark, honestly setting HDR off makes the picture look brighter... HLG looks somewhere in between. Is this normal? Do I have to tweak any other settings? I set all other filters to Off.

deadfolk

Hi guys, I just got the 43inch version and I'm testing how HDR looks. I'm watching Iron Fist on the Netflix app and playing around with the TV settings when I set HDR to Auto everything gets really dark, honestly setting HDR off makes the picture look brighter... HLG looks somewhere in between. Is this normal? Do I have to tweak any other settings? I set all other filters to Off.

Did you up the brightness in HDR mode? HDR and non-HDR brightness values are stored individually.

Toe-Knee

Some of the Amazon hdr stuff is really dark. I emailed Amazon about it and they said that's how the programs have been mastered and I should try a vivid mode on my TV.

GOliath episode one was really dark for me but the rest were OK.

xion4360

Guys dont worry about the youtube app, as of the latest update it now well supports 4K even at 60fps still cant manually select though... now if we can just get HDR.

dolabla

I think I'm gonna pick up the X800E once the price drops again and put it in the den. I own the X800D and love it. I know the X800E uses an IPS panel and has weaker blacks, but is it really that bad? And can bias lighting help solve this problem when watching/playing in the dark?

I should be good to play in a lit room though, correct?

One of the main reasons I'm wanting to get the X800E is for the wider viewing angles.

How satisfied are you X800E owners ITT?

How do I turn off automatic updates? My Youtube app keeps updating every night. Apparently I have 2 Youtube accounts under one email address and on the updated version it will not let me select which username to login under and defaults to the username that doesn't have my Subscriptions. I have to uninstall the update every day just to access my account which is pretty frustrating.

Obviously, if there is a way to get the updated Youtube app to select which username I select that would also be helpful instead of turning off the auto updates.

Madness

I have auto update off in google play settings. I think that might be the issue. I love the fact I can select 4K myself. It also tells me what videos lie about resolution. All of HDR Channel videos are only upto 1080p/60 as per the app. You cannot select higher resolution.

Android TV has great utility and the widest apps, but it really needs a better end user experience.

im finally playing my first HDR game on this tv. Something looks...off. Like, when i turn HDR on, it looks dull and kinda washed out. When i turn it off, everything looks vibrant and more colorful.

Its uncharted LL btw. When I turned HDR on, I had to turn the brightness in game all the way down because it looked so washed out. I am playing it on a base PS4, idk if a pro makes the HDR better or something. But this is not looking good to me. Its very noticeable in dark areas of the game how bad it looks. And before anyone asks, yes I have it in HDMI 3

im finally playing my first HDR game on this tv. Something looks...off. Like, when i turn HDR on, it looks dull and kinda washed out. When i turn it off, everything looks vibrant and more colorful.

Its uncharted LL btw. When I turned HDR on, I had to turn the brightness in game all the way down because it looked so washed out. I am playing it on a base PS4, idk if a pro makes the HDR better or something. But this is not looking good to me. Its very noticeable in dark areas of the game how bad it looks. And before anyone asks, yes I have it in HDMI 3
That's weird. Whenever I pay something that supports HDR in this TV, it automatically ups the brightness and everything and doesn't require HDR to be manually turned on. I've only had the washed out colours issue when I've manually turned on HDR on something that doesn't support it.

Granted I'm playing on a pro so I don't know if that makes any difference here since you're on an og ps4...

Everyone says this when they play Uncharted with HDR; It looks fine! Play with it on for an hour or two then turn it off and will will be shocked by how over-saturated and unnatural everything is.

Trust me, I thought the same thing. HDR is about more natural and realistic colors (closer to how they were designed) that can become more vibrant if needed to. I suggest you try The Witness with HDR if you want to see what I mean!

That's weird. Whenever I pay something that supports HDR in this TV, it automatically ups the brightness and everything and doesn't require HDR to be manually turned on. I've only had the washed out colours issue when I've manually turned on HDR on something that doesn't support it.

Granted I'm playing on a pro so I don't know if that makes any difference here since you're on an og ps4...

Yeah it asked me the first time if I wanted to turn it on. And it has a toggle for HDR in the game menu. So thats more what I meant. Ive been switching back and forth, and not having HDR looks better to me tbh. Ive just turned the brightness on the tv down to almost 0, and it looks a little better, but still noticeably washed out looking.

Everyone says this when they play Uncharted with HDR; It looks fine! Play with it on for an hour or two then turn it off and will will be shocked by how over-saturated and unnatural everything is.

Trust me, I thought the same thing. HDR is about more natural and realistic colors (closer to how they were designed) that can become more vibrant if needed to. I suggest you try The Witness with HDR if you want to see what I mean!

I'll stick with it then. And I'll have to check out the witness some day. Thanks!

Yeah it asked me the first time if I wanted to turn it on. And it has a toggle for HDR in the game menu. So thats more what I meant. Ive been switching back and forth, and not having HDR looks better to me tbh. Ive just turned the brightness on the tv down to almost 0, and it looks a little better, but still noticeably washed out looking.

I'll stick with it then. And I'll have to check out the witness some day. Thanks!

Welcome and don't turn the brightness down! HDR requires it to be at max, so you'll only be hurting the effect if you lower it!

Brightness is supposed to be at 100 when HDR content is detected. It should up the brightness automatically to 100.

Check your TV's output settings and your ps4's video output settings to see what it's at while you are running HDR enabled software/content.

gtmax

Guys I have the X850D, 55" Android TV. Love it in every way possible. I do have these lines going across the bottom of the TV though. It is where the black bottom bar would be when you're watching a movie.

The thought of having to ship the TV, unplugging everything and then waiting...i just don't wanna do that. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Does Sony offer a service where they come and fix your TV? I'm pretty sure i'm still under MNFT warranty.

Welcome and don't turn the brightness down! HDR requires it to be at max, so you'll only be hurting the effect if you lower it!

Brightness is supposed to be at 100 when HDR content is detected. It should up the brightness automatically to 100.

Check your TV's output settings and your ps4's video output settings to see what it's at while you are running HDR enabled software/content.

should brightness in game be maxed too? If I do that, it looks awful to me right now. Like green plants look more white than green because they are so washed out. Thats with brightness in game maxed(10), and my tv at max brightness.

should brightness in game be maxed too? If I do that, it looks awful to me right now. Like green plants look more white than green because they are so washed out. Thats with brightness in game maxed(10), and my tv at max brightness.

No, no, no! Keep the brightness in-game to the default! That controls the black levels, not brightness, brightness. That's why stuff is washed out :p

brau

I read on the reddit forum for PS4 PRO that Netflix now has HDR. Is that True? Not seeing it on my end.

I had to enroll in getting 4k content to see any HDR pop up in which ever show or movie had it. So maybe thats it? I do know that there are a few movies and shows at 1080p that have HDR.

DieHardCubFN

Neo Member
I had to enroll in getting 4k content to see any HDR pop up in which ever show or movie had it. So maybe thats it? I do know that there are a few movies and shows at 1080p that have HDR.

I can now confirm that you have to manually update it. It does have HDR now on the PS4 PRO.

Vlodril

hey all. i am looking to upgrade from my plasma which i have for about a decade and its kinda dying to a 4k tv. i am also not looking for something extremely expensive something between 500-800 euro. i was looking for the x800d but i can't find any in my country (greece) or anywhere that ships here. Are there any alternatives? amazon.de has the KD-43XD8005 for about 815 including shipping.

if you know of any decent sets i would appreciate it (i am not looking for the best ever obviously due to price but i would like to avoid any problematic ones since i can't really afford another after i buy one).

Toe-Knee

hey all. i am looking to upgrade from my plasma which i have for about a decade and its kinda dying to a 4k tv. i am also not looking for something extremely expensive something between 500-800 euro. i was looking for the x800d but i can't find any in my country (greece) or anywhere that ships here. Are there any alternatives? amazon.de has the KD-43XD8005 for about 815 including shipping.

if you know of any decent sets i would appreciate it (i am not looking for the best ever obviously due to price but i would like to avoid any problematic ones since i can't really afford another after i buy one).

I think in Greece it will be same as the UK models xd8088/8077

How do I turn off automatic updates? My Youtube app keeps updating every night. Apparently I have 2 Youtube accounts under one email address and on the updated version it will not let me select which username to login under and defaults to the username that doesn't have my Subscriptions. I have to uninstall the update every day just to access my account which is pretty frustrating.

Obviously, if there is a way to get the updated Youtube app to select which username I select that would also be helpful instead of turning off the auto updates.

For anyone that's had this issue you can turn off auto updates in the Google Play Store. So far it looks like it's working.

JoeNut

Aside from youtube and netflix the apps are excruitatingly annoying, they don't work half of the time and when they do they lose my place if i pause.

Using the ps4 instead but this has really bummed me out, the whole TV is great but the apps suck balls and the tv is generally very unresponsive with regards to lag from the remote to when something actually happens on screen

Aside from youtube and netflix the apps are excruitatingly annoying, they don't work half of the time and when they do they lose my place if i pause.

Using the ps4 instead but this has really bummed me out, the whole TV is great but the apps suck balls and the tv is generally very unresponsive with regards to lag from the remote to when something actually happens on screen

Yea.

Have you tried this:

https://youtu.be/w3ZnPq06jjA

TheBoss1

Android just sucks, period.

I've heard that it's not Android, but rather Sony for using an outdated SoC (System on a Chip). So no matter what, Android will be slow and sometimes unresponsive. Many point to the fact that the Nvidia Shield system has Android, and it is smooth to operate.

Seyfert

Can I ask for a little off-topic ?

which month Sony usually push new generation of TV into the market ? (such as, X800D is 2016 model X800E is 2017 model , Apple iPhone is every September etc.) which month is X800F that suppose to be in 2018 ?

Madness

So Best Buy has the X900E on sale for $999 (49 in.) Should I get it GAF? Or will Black Friday get me an even cheaper price?

I would wait till BF. I would think it would be $799, but it's your money.

Sony doesn't really do black friday pricing on sets much, especially something like the 900E. You can take the risk and not buy now and hope it will be cheaper but no guarantees. Last years sets barely dropped in price. Usually Samsung discounts heavily since they don't have set pricing or LG which tries to increase OLED sales and then increases them again.

As for the discussion above, I honestly don't know what tv O/S you guys think won't give you the same issues you're having with Android TV beyond o/s sluggishness. I have to restart my KS8000 almost daily, close youtube and netflix several times on Tizen. For Android, the only issue I really have if WiFi disconnects and just the stupid slowdown due to it being displayed and loaded like a tablet o/s on a television. I even have built in ads now on the KS8000 menu row. I cannot disable anything, cannot stop data collection like I can on Android o/s.

I will give you that the remote is generally poor. It isn't even the SoC or processor or storage. They are much head of what the KS8000 has. It is just the design and footprint of Android TV which has been a google afterthought. Very poor start screen, bloated, sluggish.

DieHardCubFN

Neo Member
Sony doesn't really do black friday pricing on sets much, especially something like the 900E. You can take the risk and not buy now and hope it will be cheaper but no guarantees. Last years sets barely dropped in price. Usually Samsung discounts heavily since they don't have set pricing or LG which tries to increase OLED sales and then increases them again.

As for the discussion above, I honestly don't know what tv O/S you guys think won't give you the same issues you're having with Android TV beyond o/s sluggishness. I have to restart my KS8000 almost daily, close youtube and netflix several times on Tizen. For Android, the only issue I really have if WiFi disconnects and just the stupid slowdown due to it being displayed and loaded like a tablet o/s on a television. I even have built in ads now on the KS8000 menu row. I cannot disable anything, cannot stop data collection like I can on Android o/s.

I will give you that the remote is generally poor. It isn't even the SoC or processor or storage. They are much head of what the KS8000 has. It is just the design and footprint of Android TV which has been a google afterthought. Very poor start screen, bloated, sluggish.

I purchased my 49X800D for $550 new last year during BF. So yes, there are sales for Sony sets.

Madness

I purchased my 49X800D for $550 new last year during BF. So yes, there are sales for Sony sets.

Was it HHGregg or Fry's? All I know is, the Sony workers and the folks at London Drugs and Best Buy ssid Sony is setting pricing on their sets and without their permission stores cannot sell for their own price without permission if at all. It is why you barely saw any sets at Costco for last year. I do know HHGregg and Fry's were 'reselling' some televisions they acquired for cheaper last year. Beyond thar I think Amazon was the lowest at $648 last black friday.

Not trying to say anyone can't or shouldn't wait for cheaper pricing, but expecting bargain basement pricing on an X900E no less? Doubtful.

Top Bottom