• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Madness

What's so funny?

Your television is a mixture of plastic and metal. Could be expansion and contraction slightly during high temperatures or after you shut it off after a viewing period. Usually it is a non-issue, but keep an eye on whether it could possibly be capacitors or something else failing.

Does it happen like maybe 30-45 minutes after you finish watching or right as you turn on etc. Hows the weather where you are ie. Hot and humid, above nromal temps.

Your television is a mixture of plastic and metal. Could be expansion and contraction slightly during high temperatures or after you shut it off after a viewing period. Usually it is a non-issue, but keep an eye on whether it could possibly be capacitors or something else failing.

Does it happen like maybe 30-45 minutes after you finish watching or right as you turn on etc. Hows the weather where you are ie. Hot and humid, above nromal temps.

When I'm watching The TV. My room definitely is hot and humid.

LifeLike

So no one else's tv makes a snapping sound from the back of the TV from time to time?

Yes, mine does that. Like you said from time to time. Let's say I'm playing a game for a really long time, the tv is getting hot and when I shut it down sometimes after a while I can hear a snapping sound. This is happening the other way around too. It's just plastic expansion.. For me it happens A LOT during winter. Don't worry about it. Oh and this happened with other TV I've owned too, it's not this model only...

If you plan on keeping the TV for a long time (5+ years), the $500 difference won't matter much but you will definitely be much happier with a better TV.
Yeah, and I really do want to support Sony, I feel they have the best TV's and want to see them competitive again in the field.

I'll just wait for a sale on the X900e hopefully black Friday gets me at least $200 off.

kingbean

how is this set compared to X900e? I really want another Sony TV but paying $600-$700 dollars is so much easier than paying $1100.

Depends on what you're coming from I'd say. From the x800d I feel like the vizio was the right choice. Best buy had the x900e set up near it and let me see both sets running off the same USB stick showing the same content.

The sony was better looking at the store but that was mostly in regards to the black levels. The color temps where similar and the hdr looked about the same to me. Both are a massive step over the x800 imo. The local dimming feature helps a lot on top of the higher nits.

The sony seemed to handle the bright lights in the store a little better and dark fast scenes seemed maybe a little cleaner/faster.

But I got the vizio for 620 after tax and that really closed the deal for me with it being such a big upgrade in terms of size and HDR presentation.

The vizio plays nicer with my pc as well. I don't have to fiddle with settings in my nvidia control panel to get it to not be a washed out mess everytime I switch to it.

Edit: I am red green color blind but not extremely. So I can't speak really on color accuracy.

TheBoss1

Yeah, and I really do want to support Sony, I feel they have the best TV's and want to see them competitive again in the field.

I'll just wait for a sale on the X900e hopefully black Friday gets me at least $200 off.
Yeah same here. I was gonna get it but they raised the price back to retail so I said eff it lol. Soon as it hits $999 or lower for the 49" I will buy it immediately.
Depends on what you're coming from I'd say. From the x800d I feel like the vizio was the right choice. Best buy had the x900e set up near it and let me see both sets running off the same USB stick showing the same content.

The sony was better looking at the store but that was mostly in regards to the black levels. The color temps where similar and the hdr looked about the same to me. Both are a massive step over the x800 imo. The local dimming feature helps a lot on top of the higher nits.

The sony seemed to handle the bright lights in the store a little better and dark fast scenes seemed maybe a little cleaner/faster.

But I got the vizio for 620 after tax and that really closed the deal for me with it being such a big upgrade in terms of size and HDR presentation.

The vizio plays nicer with my pc as well. I don't have to fiddle with settings in my nvidia control panel to get it to not be a washed out mess everytime I switch to it.

Edit: I am red green color blind but not extremely. So I can't speak really on color accuracy.

Red/Green color blind also checking in lol.

Sometimes price will be the deciding factor when buying anything, especially when it's like half the price of the competitor.

tizorres

Neo Member
Anyone having issues with the CrunchyRoll app? I try to play something, it'll play the ad for to get premium but then I get an error saying the video can't play.

tks for the well thought out post man...much appreciated

oni-link

Is there a way of checking the aspect ratio on this TV? I'm playing SNES and NES games and the SNES games look maybe a tiny bit stretched whereas the NES games look like they're in 4:3

This TV has a shitty setting called Wide Mode which is 100x more vague that just listing the aspect ratio

Is there a way of checking the aspect ratio on this TV? I'm playing SNES and NES games and the SNES games look maybe a tiny bit stretched whereas the NES games look like they're in 4:3

This TV has a shitty setting called Wide Mode which is 100x more vague that just listing the aspect ratio

I think the "normal" setting in the wide mode is the native look for whatever you're using

Garuda1One

So.. i just bought a X7000E / X70E. It says blatantly in the web that it supports HDR, but my PS4 pro says my TV does not supports HDR :(

Tried changing the HDMI input to Enhanced, but still it says does not supported. Chose the HDR mode on picture setting, still does not work. Meh..

EDIT : I just fixed this by bypassing the HDMI from PSVR directly to the TV.........

oni-link

I think the "normal" setting in the wide mode is the native look for whatever you're using

I had assumed that was the "Full" setting, though that seems to put the image in a wider box than 4:3

When playing SNES games the "Normal" setting makes them look too squashed

JoeNut

The new YouTube update is awful. Still no hdr and now no 4k playback also and to top it off the ui is horrendous
Hmm I think it's better, although odd you can't change quality it plays in best possible so shouldn't be an issue surely?

Anyone had issues with apps just getting stuck on "loading" I couldn't get itv or channel 4OD etc at all yesterday.

Toe-Knee

Hmm I think it's better, although odd you can't change quality it plays in best possible so shouldn't be an issue surely?

Anyone had issues with apps just getting stuck on "loading" I couldn't get itv or channel 4OD etc at all yesterday.

On mine it never goes above 1080p yet Amazon and Netflix have no problem auto adjusting to 4k.

A quick Google showed a few people having the same issues.

oni-link

Slightly off topic but kind of not really:

Is there a way on this TV (or any TV) to quickly swap between YouTube accounts?

So annoying that this simple feature isn't there

You can do it on Netflix

My gf uses the main TV (this one) to watch stuff on my profile and that has ruined my recommended videos section, and at the same time I can't use the TV in the bedroom as it has her YouTube account signed in, so none of my subscriptions are there

xion4360

it never goes above 1440p in any video, turn on stats for nerds and you'll see what its doing. the general UI IMO is worse than the default too.

I just removed updates to go back to the default app. It always defaults to 2160p and its glorious. Hopefully they decide to add HDR support someday, I cant believe this still has not happened.. I hope they dont try to block it behind some paywall

JoeNut

it never goes above 1440p in any video, turn on stats for nerds and you'll see what its doing. the general UI IMO is worse than the default too.

I just removed updates to go back to the default app. It always defaults to 2160p and its glorious. Hopefully they decide to add HDR support someday, I cant believe this still has not happened.. I hope they dont try to block it behind some paywall

hmm i'll try that, cheers

FaintDeftone

So I've been in the market for a 4K upgrade from my 40 inch Samsung 1080p we have in the living room. Since our living room isn't huge, I don't want anything larger than a 55''. I think a 50'' would be the sweet spot for me.

I've been eyeballing this guy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-49...h-dynamic-range-black/5748204.p?skuId=5748204

Is this the same thing discussed in this thread? I noticed there is an E at the end of the model instead of a D and I didn't know if that made a difference or not.

Judging from reviews, it says that black levels are mediocre but the input lag for gaming is great. Deciding if I should pull the trigger. The biggest issue for me is if this thing has true HDR or not, which I can't seem to find an answer on. I have a PS4 Pro ready to go.

EDIT: Just found older responses regarding this model that I didn't see before. So possibly a worse model. Still considering it though since the input lag is solid. The HDR is holding me back since I'm still unsure about it.

Toe-Knee

Slightly off topic but kind of not really:

Is there a way on this TV (or any TV) to quickly swap between YouTube accounts?

So annoying that this simple feature isn't there

You can do it on Netflix

My gf uses the main TV (this one) to watch stuff on my profile and that has ruined my recommended videos section, and at the same time I can't use the TV in the bedroom as it has her YouTube account signed in, so none of my subscriptions are there

Yes I think this was added in the last firmware.

I think you may need to add the Google account to the TV itself in the settings then you can switch it on the YouTube app.

Madness

The new YouTube update is awful. Still no hdr and now no 4k playback also and to top it off the ui is horrendous

You can't even change the quality now. smh

It is why I have auto-update turned off. The KS8000 YouTube app turned to garbage because of Google updating and removing things I liked.

I haven't updated and I don't plan to for the X800D. So you can't change HQ to 2160p anymore? I just wish they would implement HDR support already. The only major television brand rocking Google Android TV os and they're behind fucking Samsung rocking Tizen OS in terms of quality app updates.

Toe-Knee

It is why I have auto-update turned off. The KS8000 YouTube app turned to garbage because of Google updating and removing things I liked.

I haven't updated and I don't plan to for the X800D. So you can't change HQ to 2160p anymore? I just wish they would implement HDR support already. The only major television brand rocking Google Android TV os and they're behind fucking Samsung rocking Tizen OS in terms of quality app updates.

You can't change the quality full stop. It's ridiculous.

I was hoping that HDR was in the update but they just messed other things up instead.

JoeNut

the apps on this tv are really annoying me, Amazon video is pissing me off because if i press "resume" when i've stopped half way through something, it buffers while playing the video for a couple of minutes and won't let me pause, i then have to mess around rewinding back to where i was.

The android TV is letting the whole thing down for me

exemp30

Anyone use the twitch app on the x800d? I can't log into my account because the code doesn't show up, anyone else have this issue?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So I can just delete the YouTube update? Isn't the app terrible in its vanilla state?

Having sound issues when combining with LG sound bar via HDMI Arc. When pausing in Netflix it causing the sound to go altogether without needing to cycle through the input functions on the soundbar. only this app is causing the issue though.

brawly

Is there a good way to compare HDR to non-HDR picture? Or do you have to pull out the mobile camera.

I've only tried Ratchet & Clank and I wasn't blown by it, well, not any more than on my non-HDR 4K monitor.
Input lag seems slightly higher and the colors seemed less vibrant.

m23

Is there a good way to compare HDR to non-HDR picture? Or do you have to pull out the mobile camera.

I've only tried Ratchet & Clank and I wasn't blown by it, well, not any more than on my non-HDR 4K monitor.
Input lag seems slightly higher and the colors seemed less vibrant.

If you have Gears 4, it has a neat comparison option. One side of the screen has no HDR while the other does and you can play with that option on.

TheBoss1

Either HDR is not what it's hyped up to be, this TV just sucks at it, or Amazon video sucks.

That's because this TV is not bright enough to show off the brighter colors of HDR. To make matters worse, if you have the 49" version then it will be even less impressive because it has an IPS panel. IPS panels have terrible contrast ratio because of shitty blacks.

Return it and spend a little extra for the X900E, or the X930E if you can afford it.

Either HDR is not what it's hyped up to be, this TV just sucks at it, or Amazon video sucks.

Amazon's implementation isn't good on most of their shows. It looks good on Grand Tour, but I've found several others to be too dim. Almost as if they've tagged it HDR when it actually isn't.

Netflix for sure has better implementation. Check out Chef's Table: France or Abstract, they look fantastic.

That's because this TV is not bright enough to show off the brighter colors of HDR. To make matters worse, if you have the 49" version then it will be even less impressive because it has an IPS panel. IPS panels have terrible contrast ratio because of shitty blacks.

Return it and spend a little extra for the X900E, or the X930E if you can afford it.

My TV is a few months old. There's no returning it back.

Toe-Knee

How do you tell on the x900e when HDR is being used? Does it tell you where the resolution is shown?

If it's the same as the XD8305 press action menu then picture settings. It should say HDR in the top right.

Also if using the ps4 easy being up the quick menu and it should be washed out/lighter looking.

Top Bottom