• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z1 officially announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sony Xperia Z1 (codename Honami) has been announced at IFA 2013. Thought I would make a thread for discussion about the phone details, release dates and pricing.

Phone Specs:
1/2.3-inch, 20.7-megapixel Exmor RS CMOS image sensor, Sony G lens with 27mm wide angle, f2.0 aperture and Bionz image processing
5-inch, full HD (1080p) Triluminos display
2.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800
2GB Ram
Adreno 330 graphics
16GGB of onboard storage
MicroSD slot (supports up to 64GB cards)
3,000 mAh battery
Comes in Black/White/Purple
It measures up at 144x74x8.5 millimetres and 170 grams
IP58 level certification (Water resistance)

iu72.jpg

rlj3.jpg

Release Dates:
16th of September in the UK?
Pre-order available now in Australia, released later this month.

Pricing:
UK (Details supplied by DBT85)

No further details from O2 yet. Even the link from their main site with this graphic isn't working
xKafuWu.png

O2.co.uk - Not working yet

EE offers for 24 month contracts. All data amounts will be doubled automatically on select 4G phones, of which the Z1 is a member. That offer expires October 30th

EE.co.uk

£26 P/M 500MB Unlimited calls/texts £239.99 Phone
£31 P/M 1GBMB Unlimited calls/texts £189.99 Phone
£36 P/M 1.5GB Unlimited calls/texts £89.99 Phone
£41 P/M 2GB Unlimited calls/texts £29.99 Phone
£46 P/M 10GB Unlimited calls/texts £9.99 Phone
£51 P/M 20GB Unlimited calls/texts £9.99 Phone

0VhjynS.png

AUS
$779 AUD Outright

Images

z1_1.jpg

sony-xperia-z1_610x458.jpg

Videos

Xperia Z1 commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blUhgOJXetM

features hands on (great video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAn-npWpBPI

Hands on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r1E81iRbsk

Links to previews/hands-on

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/sony-xperia-z1-hands-on/

http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-xperia-z1-focuses-on-photography-339345363.htm

This has just been quickly thrown together so that we can discuss the phone, it's not an 'official thread'. I'm finally making the jump from IOS after 5 years, and I'm just excited about this phone. Anyone with more details can be added to the OP.

Anyone have any photos of the purple version, I'm actually thinking of going something different rather than the standard black or white?

I just need to know when this comes out in Australia (and the price), I haven't actually been excited for a phone since I first got the iPhone 3G. The iPhone 4 was decent for the time but it's chugging now. It's time for a change I guess, and this phone seems like the perfect time to jump ship ;)

vivftp

They're going back to the gray navigation bar?

Transparent navigation bar.

Surprised it took this long for an official thread to be created, lol.

The white Z1 shall be mine! REALLY hoping it comes to Rogers here in Canada. My upgrade option is sitting around, waiting to be used.

GHG

Gold Member
And its decided. This will be my next phone. Just announce a price and I'm there whatever it is.

And its decided. This will be my next phone. Just announce a price and I'm there whatever it is.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same. Has anyone found the price/release info? I thought we would have all that info considering it's supposed to launch this month?

Yjynx

it just looks really sexy and beastly specs too. will be mine when my contract run out at the end of this month.

SpecX

Damn that's nice. Verizon better do everything they can to get this. I'm so ready for a Sony smartphone, but fucking Verizon.

Does the camera have optical image stabilization? The commercial makes it seem like it does since it mentions great low light without flash and blur free images but I haven't seen it listed in the specs.

tino

Banned
They don't have any photo samples by good photographers? I am not talking about photos taken by the gadget bloggers.

Phone's camera doesn't have flash, which is disappointing. It's not something I use often, but when I want it, I WANT it.

And looking at videos and reading hands-ons, the screen is disappointing too, as is the camera quality in general.

I thought this was going to be it, but I'll be waiting for the Nexus 5.

Not seeing how it doesn't have flash. It doesn't seem to have xenon flash but it seems clear that the camera has LED flash at the very least.

GAF I may sound like a noob but I'm truly confused about camera pixels...
we see this phone having 20 megapixels camera and we see the Nokia Lumia 1020 having around 40 yet when I saw the QX10 and QX100 lens cameras from Sony they where 18 and 20 megapixels... so I looked at other cameras and on average they're around about 20 megapixels as well yet clearly they are the better image quality... so GAF what does this pixel quality even mean and how does it make it closer to professional cameras

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
GAF I may sound like a noob but I'm truly confused about camera pixels...
we see this phone having 20 megapixels camera and we see the Nokia Lumia 1020 having around 40 yet when I saw the QX10 and QX100 lens cameras from sony they said 18 and 20 megapixels... so I looked at other cameras and on average they're around about 20 megapixels as well yet clearly they are the better image quality... so GAF what does this pixel quality even mean and how does it make it closer to professional cameras

Megapixels is mostly a marketing term, the quality of the sensor is generally more important. Garbage sensor with all the megapixels in the world isn't going to give you a better picture than a camera with a better sensor and fewer megapixels.

Not seeing how it doesn't have flash. It doesn't seem to have xenon flash but it seems clear that the camera has LED flash at the very least.

I took the comments section of CNET too seriously >_<

I mean the camera still looks to be disappointing. These are the images from CNET.

Sony_Xperia_Z1_Outdoor_test_shot_610x458.jpg

Sony_Xperia_Z1_low-light_test_shot_610x458.jpg

Sony_Xperia_Z1_Macro_test_shot_610x458.jpg

Though I guess I should be like tino and wait for someone who knows how to take proper photographs rather than a tech blogger.

Megapixels is mostly a marketing term, the quality of the sensor is generally more important. Garbage sensor with all the megapixels in the world isn't going to give you a better picture than a camera with a better sensor and fewer megapixels.

I see... so why do they desperately wish to compete with each other by increasing their pixel size (in smart-phones) if they should be improving their image sensor?

also thank you for answering

tino

Banned
I took the comments section of CNET too seriously >_<

I mean the camera still looks to be disappointing. These are the images from CNET.

Sony_Xperia_Z1_Outdoor_test_shot_610x458.jpg

Sony_Xperia_Z1_low-light_test_shot_610x458.jpg

Sony_Xperia_Z1_Macro_test_shot_610x458.jpg

Though I guess I should be like tino and wait for someone who knows how to take proper photographs rather than a tech blogger.

Its not too hot to be honest with you. I am not sure if I would pay extra 100 over a S4 or a Note 3 to get it. Although if its same price and I can get the blue version I would get this over the Note 3.

CronoShot

I see... so why do they desperately wish to compete with each other by increasing their pixel size (in smart-phones) if they should be improving their image sensor?

Mainly marketing, but a higher megapixel count can help with cropping, since most phones lack optical zoom.

tino

Banned
Mainly marketing, but a higher megapixel count can help with cropping, since most phones lack optical zoom.

No its just a meaningless stat war Sony ignited when back in 10 years ago when Sony was making camera sensors for every body except Canon (Nikon Pentax Ricoh etc).

Kind of like the the frequency stat war back in the Pentium 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom