• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z1 officially announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnz

I feel like getting a high end smart phone ( not feeling an s4 or Iphone)

It's between this and the one ( should I wait for any conventions for something new, like Apple's upcoming event)

Smartphone businesses is easily the worst IMO, always an upgrade in a few months :p ( I know you don't have to upgrade, but it makes your phone feel inferior, especially when you spend like £400 or so)

Volotaire

Give me 5 mins, ill get some bits and update as I get them

No further details from O2 yet. Even the link from their main site with this graphic isn't working
O2.co.uk - Not working yet

EE offers for 24 month contracts. All data amounts will be doubled automatically on select 4G phones, of which the Z1 is a member. That offer expires October 30th

EE.co.uk

£26 P/M 500MB Unlimited calls/texts £239.99 Phone - £863.99 total
£31 P/M 1GBMB Unlimited calls/texts £189.99 Phone - £933.99 total
£36 P/M 1.5GB Unlimited calls/texts £89.99 Phone - £953.99 total
£41 P/M 2GB Unlimited calls/texts £29.99 Phone - £1013.99 total
£46 P/M 10GB Unlimited calls/texts £9.99 Phone - £1113.99 total
£51 P/M 20GB Unlimited calls/texts £9.99 Phone - £1233.99 total

EDIT: oh they're just details./

jonnyp

If not the same = better viewing angles and more vibrant colors, then I'm in.

According to a Norwegian hands-on preview they said the screen had better viewing angles than the Z but still not as good as Samsung's phones but that it was not a problem to them. I don't understand this viewing angle "problem" people have either. What are you doing with your phone at a tilting angle anyway?

They also say the screen is sharper and colours even better than the previous Z and that the camera is absolutely amazing.

The white Z1 shall be mine in a few weeks!

samven582

Should be much faster this time.

In other news, the current camera pics don't use finals software. It will be about a month before the team is ready to push down final camera software and around 2 months until 4.3 is ready.

confirmed for T mobile? What about a unlocked model with both LTE 4/17?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
confirmed for T mobile? What about a unlocked model with both LTE 4/17?

More than likely it's Tmobile..which makes an unlocked version w/ LTE being sold unlikey in the US. Which is fucking stupid

Why aren't Sony's phones more popular? It seems that they make really sleek devices. Serious question.

They're in 3rd place. They're popular the world over, except in North America..where Sony can't market phones here if their lives depended on it. I want one...but they're so difficult to buy here.

DBT85

They're in 3rd place. They're popular the world over, except in North America..where Sony can't market phones here if their lives depended on it. I want one...but they're so difficult to buy here.

Fairly certain they were deliberately not trying too hard in the US recently to try and get a foothold elsewhere with the aim of hitting the US a bit harder nowish. Could be wrong.

Ban Puncher

Two year contract just run out on my Galaxy S2, was going to get a HTC One tomorrow but every man and his dog has one now.

Will wait the fortnight for the Z1.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fairly certain they were deliberately not trying too hard in the US recently to try and get a foothold elsewhere with the aim of hitting the US a bit harder nowish. Could be wrong.

Nowish would be good, because chances are the biggest reason I will end up not buying this phone is because it won't be available in the US soon.

Toki767

Is there any chance of this coming to AT&T?

I hope so. The fact that it uses the Snapdragon 800 means that it at least has support for AT&T's LTE.

They haven't said a word about it though and most US carriers have already confirmed the Note 3 so it's hard to say.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
My upgrade comes on the 22nd October so this phone shall be mine!
I think I prefer the sharp look of the Z compared to the Z1's curved edges, but everything else is upgraded so it's a small concession

Just hoping that Vodafone are nice to me and give a good contract

Fezan

Screen comparison
Another comparision this time in sync

Also some camera samples

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/09/05/sony-xperia-z1-photo-samples-through-different-firmware-revisions/
Xperia-Z1-sample_1.jpg

Xperia-Z1-sample_2.jpg

DiddyBop

Camera still doesnt look as good as I feel it should be. They seem a bit soft and the colours seem a bit dull. I only have an iphone 5 so i'm just going off the few pics ive seen on the net taken with the Z and now the Z1. Any actual owners wanna comment on the camera quality compared to the other high end smartphones?

DBT85

Those shots look fine to me. But they are outdoors in lots of light which makes life easier for the camera.

Lets see some in normal living room or something.

vivftp

Should be much faster this time.

In other news, the current camera pics don't use finals software. It will be about a month before the team is ready to push down final camera software and around 2 months until 4.3 is ready.

Interesting. The picture quality is already pretty decent so very curious to see how they can improve upon it.

I wish we had more real world tests and impressions on the loud speaker though. I'm hoping that bad boy can push a lot of sound for its relative size.

Really the Sony phones always make me feel bad about not being able to stand Android all that much :( It's a incredible sleek and awesome piece of hardware.

This is supposedly coming out in the US at the end of September right?

If it's not released at least on ATT, VZW, Sprint, TMobile, then the device will fail here.

All other big flagship phones are available on all carriers. If Sony wants to play, they need to be everywhere as well.

Gav

Pre-ordered this last night with O2, and will get the free lens.

Been on Windows Phone for the past year. Excited to go back to Android with something so powerful. My fiancee has the Z, so im looking forward to seeing the differences.

DBT85

I'm with Three and have unlimited 3G/HSDPA (up to 100GB a month) for £15 a month with calls and texts as well.

4G is a complete rip-off, and will be for another two years at least.

As a comparison,

with the 3G tarrifs on Tmobile and Orange

On T-mobile the 1GB 3G, 600 mins, unlimited texts, 24 month deal is £744 for the contract and £159.99 for the phone, totalling £903.99. They don't do a 1GB 18 month contract on 3G for that phone, or anything over 750MB for that matter.

The 750MB 3G, 600 mins, unlimited texts 18 month deal is £648 for the contract and £159.99 for the phone, so £807.99.

They do do a 24 month 3G Unlimited everything for £1008 for the contract and £49.99 for the phone. So 1057.99.

My EE 4G 24 month deal with unlimited minutes, texts and 3GB 4G (1.5GB with their double data deal) is £953.99, and I get the watch thing.

Also saw this on the WhatHiFi hands on
wMBecIG.jpg

Ant they talk about the screen too

Sony Xperia Z1: display

Despite being physically larger than the Xperia Z, the Xperia Z1 keeps the same-sized 5in 1920x1080 Full HD screen. However, Sony has implemented the Triluminos technology found in its Bravia TVs to help recreate more vivid, realistic colours on mobile too. A quick comparison of the same photo between the Z and the Z1 shows blues, reds and greens (the colours Triluminos targets) much richer on the Z1, with more shades noticeable within them.

9SIrxOA.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1 on the left, Sony Xperia Z on the right.

It’s a very nice display indeed, with stacks of detail too. Viewing angle looks like it could be wider though, as there is a certainly amount of drop off to colour vibrancy when content is viewed from the side.

http://mobile.it168.com/tu/1529462.shtml

2013090318075747740.jpg

2013090318080003581.jpg

2013090318080282823.jpg

2013090318080580785.jpg

Comparison on a Chinese website with the Nokia 1020.

Holds up very well to the double size 41MP sensor. Also, the 8MP mode seems to use pixel binning rather than cropping the sensor, so 8MP shots will be absolutely amazing once the final processing software is pushed down. They are already very competitive.

tino

Banned
Haha terrible air quality.

The comparo only compare the resolution, which is fine. I am still waiting for some shots in indoor low light situation.

I still don't like this phone's color in day time that much but I realize I pretty much always have a different camera during weekend. I just need decent low light performance and fast camera response. I understand the 1020 "Pro" camera app is very slow.

kharma45

Haha terrible air quality.

The comparo only compare the resolution, which is fine. I am still waiting for some shots in indoor low light situation.

I still don't like this phone's color in day time that much but I realize I pretty much always have a different camera during weekend. I just need decent low light performance and fast camera response. I understand the 1020 "Pro" camera app is very slow.

Yeah the Pro app is slow. Feature rich but slow when you hit the shutter button. You can just use the default WP camera for quick snaps but you'll lose a lot of the adjustments offered in the Pro cam app.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah the Pro app is slow. Feature rich but slow when you hit the shutter button. You can just use the default WP camera for quick snaps but you'll lose a lot of the adjustments offered in the Pro cam app.

You also will not be able to grab a full res shot if you don't use the Pro Cam app. So the resulting picture will look like every other smartphone photo, including the Z1. The only time I don't use the pro cam on my 1020 is if I'm doing a specialty shot, like panorama or the movement shots where you do burst shots and then can remove objects or whatever.

DBT85

Still noting on the Z1 on Vodafone or Three in the UK. It's coming but no details or pre orders yet.

Amazon also confirming the 20th as the date.

I'm excite. Since my One X got put through the washing machine a month ago (not a problem with this phone!) I've been using a Desire Z that we had knocking about. My god it's shite.

Atruvius

I wonder if Xperia ZR will have a price drop once this launches.

I sure hope so. I've been waiting to buy it as my first smartphone.

Fezan

all i want to hear about is screen and this thing will be mine. rumors were crazy good screen with 2000:1 contrast ratio

Mario007

all i want to hear about is screen and this thing will be mine. rumors were crazy good screen with 2000:1 contrast ratio
It's the same screen as the Z Ultra, as far as I know. And that thing got a shitload of praise for its creen. Triluminous is the next big thing :p

Mario007

Previews are not looking so hot right now
Remember that with Sony you usually get preview units that are only prototypes. Wait for the official reviews at the end of the month, or rather I'd say the best thing would be to go a shop at the end of September and see for yourself.

If I remember correctly Z Ultra's screen was also not seen as anything major back when they were previewing the phone but once the final units were reviews they all praised it. And Z1's screen is from the same vendor, and employing the same technology.

Fezan

Remember that with Sony you usually get preview units that are only prototypes. Wait for the official reviews at the end of the month, or rather I'd say the best thing would be to go a shop at the end of September and see for yourself.

If I remember correctly Z Ultra's screen was also not seen as anything major back when they were previewing the phone but once the final units were reviews they all praised it. And Z1's screen is from the same vendor, and employing the same technology.

yeah ill wait for that. still i see every one praising G2 and note 3 display. Ill be honest thought many reviewers were biased on xz review. but when i saw the screen in person i was so dissapointed that i went with windows phone

They need to hurry up and announce US carriers and a release date. My contract is up in October and I'm not convinced that iPhone 5S is going to be what I want.

Vancha

I wonder how the battery will perform as it's 3000 right now. The original Z had kind of lackluster comments for its battery.

catmincer

yeah ill wait for that. still i see every one praising G2 and note 3 display. Ill be honest thought many reviewers were biased on xz review. but when i saw the screen in person i was so dissapointed that i went with windows phone

The screen was the thing that put me off the Z and made me go for the One. My other half has the Z Ultra. The screen IS really good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They need to hurry up and announce US carriers and a release date. My contract is up in October and I'm not convinced that iPhone 5S is going to be what I want.

Same, October is likely when I'll be upgrading, and it's probably between this and the new Nexus. I really like the design and the mSD slot of the Z1, will just have to see what the Nexus brings to the table when Google decides to share it.

I'd like to know how Sony is with Android updates though, I hate it when companies provide maybe one update (if that) and then consider the phone EOL (like my current phone, which never got an update after it was launched).

I'd like to know how Sony is with Android updates though, I hate it when companies provide maybe one update (if that) and then consider the phone EOL (like my current phone, which never got an update after it was launched).

That's my one hesitation in going back to Android. Waiting for updates from the manufacturer and carrier is aggravating, and I'm not particularly interested in rooting a phone (although I guess it doesn't hurt to have the ability).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom